“Wanted to stay 3 nights but had to move out because of 'misunderstanding'”

Barrio Latino Hotel
Ranked #71 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 21 February 2011

This hotel is nice enough, but we had a bad experience which is worth telling. We (2 couples) arrived at Playa on a thursday late in the afternoon, with no reservations, and started looking for a hotel. We found room at Barrio Latino and decided to stay there for 3 nights. We repeatedly told the clerk we wanted to stay for 3 nights and there seemed to be no problem. It's worth mentioning we speak spanish fluently so there was no possible language problem with the mexican clerk. The next morning another clerk told us we had to move out because all rooms were already booked. So we had to find another hotel, pretty much ruinning our plans for the day. Later in the afternoon we went to complain to the owner. He was quite nice, apologized for the 'misunderstanding' and told us we could come for breakfast and use the phone during our stay in Playa. Even so, we can't help thinking there was foul play involved and that the clerk deliberately didn't tell us on thursday night that there wasn't going to be room the next 2 nights (if we new this we would have looked elsewhere) so that we would stay for that night in 2 rooms that otherwise would probably have remained unoccupied (considering the late hour). You be the judge...

Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Isotopo
Barrio-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2011

Hola como estan,
I am happy you liked the hotel, I am sorry you couldn't stay as many nights as you wished.
You remember I met and listened to you, I underline I never said I agreed with you because I have no reason to doubt of your words , or of my clerk's words too: be sure, it is not a tricky plan we developed against you.
Maybe few words from the "Rules and Regulations" - the form you signed when you checked in, can help : "only prepaid nights can be guaranteded , pay in advance " .
Anyway I am sorry .

This experience also goes to the following clients who will happen to read other reviews suggesting to get a deal when walking in : the truth is in the middle, meaning you could get a discount when a room is still available , but can't be sure to find - the room you want, for the nights you need : this one might be booked in advance by someone else.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to write about it as a guideline to other clients.

Reviewed 8 February 2011

I was part of a diving group from Poland.
We spent several nights at the Barrio Latino , and when the group left I spent more nights because I loved the place!
Great wifi service and free international calls including my Country.
Very close to the beach and very calm and safe at night.
Staff is very friendly and the owner knows his work : I knew several repeating clients , an important number of people around 50s, younger couples, and a funny mix of straight and gay clients from Europe, Usa, Canada.
The hotel is very well designed and the rooms with terrace and hammock open to a relaxing green area.
I totally support the policies for the local environment and workers seem to follow them, too.
I had a look in the area : this is the best bet for me.
Hotel Luna Sol is overrated , is only one block back but the block is dark, and maybe since the owners are selling had less success at the moment (even so it was nice, but I would defenetly recommend Barrio Latino over Luna Sol, Casa Tukan, Nina) : none of them include the courtesy international calls (and local too), the garden, the wifi, the parking, the breakfast all in one.
About Playa del Carmen, I think it is a great place to visit and use it like a safe basis (and funny too) , while we spent most of the days diving the caves and open sea.
Bravo Barrio Latino!

• Stayed: January 2011
Barrio-Management, Manager at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2011

Muchas gracias!
I have just few words to add :
(1) how amazing is how fast the world is just waiting for a chance to travel !
Since Brithsh Airways opened new weekly flights to Cancun, a lot of clients from Central and Northern Europe are now travelling to Playa del Carmen.
(2) how nice is to get clients flying so far to enjoy the diving activities of the area and the natural attractions of the Mayan Riviera : I am surprised how accurate is the information you visitors get in advance, we have to learn from you!
(3) I am proud we have a good wifi internet service and I think that it is as important as the location nowadays. Even so, I still find a lot of very expensive hotel charging the service.
(4) we will do our best to improve green policies and we hope to get the balance between a quality service and a respectful service .
This week we have the new fast service from 2 to 6 M!
Thank you very much!

Reviewed 20 January 2011

During our trip trough Yucatan peninsula we spent one night at Playa del Carmen. Destination as such was not really to our taste but Barrio Latino sure was. Room was big enough and hammock outside the room was a nice addition. Bathroom was big and clean, something you start to appreciate when traveling for a longer period of time and seeing different hotels.
Hotel has personal touch with garden, decorations and paintings on the walls, free phone calls,and small breakfast included to room rate. Main tourist attractions were nearby yet hotel itself was really quiet. Overall, we were really happy to stay here and would definately stay again should we visit PDC again

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Barrio-Management, Owner at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2011

Accurate review!
The Yucatan peninsula is a great area, attracting tourists from everywhere : the independent discovers by himself good and bad and gets the chance to interact with locals, food, and nature.
I am happy you enjoied the Barrio Latino and I feel you are the kind of client we are ready for .
Have a great year!

Reviewed 11 December 2010

I stayed here for three nights and enjoyed my stay very much. First, let me just say that you can get the best nightly rates on their website. I paid only $32/night and what you get for that price is really really great.
The staff is very friendly and helpful. As a solo female traveler my safety was of course a concern and I felt very safe here with the reception open all night and the attentiveness of the staff. The rooms are comfortable and painted in bright, very charming colors which I loved. I found the room to be designed very well- there was lots of shelving space to put my things and there was a mini fridge to keep bottled water cold which I appreciated (especially when I moved to my 2nd and 3rd hotels of the trip which were much more expensive and had no mini fridge or shelf space). I also loved the hammock on the balcony. The breakfast is nothing fancy but was certainly fine for me. I enjoyed sitting out in the charming garden area with my tea and fresh pastry I saw being delivered every morning.
The location is fantastic- 1 block from the main street with tons of shopping and restaurants. There are a lot of nice looking hotels right on that street but while I strolled along at 11pm listening to the loud tourists and music at the bars I was glad I chose to be a block away and able to enjoy a quiet night's sleep.
Overall I felt you could tell that the owners/managers of this hotel care for it very well and put a lot of thought into every aspect of it from the building/room layout, hired staff and little touches like the hand painting on the walls.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo

Hola,
I liked your review.
We try to be discrete, original, and not too expensive .
I understand you liked, and I want to thank you for your nice words for the staff and the short management team ( my wife and I) . She is an architect and I am a happy italian in the colorful Mexico, and according to your words we might have found a balance between local and international.
Also, we are often basis for solo travellers and keep a gentle eye on their needs .
Thanks again,

Reviewed 8 December 2010

I loved this hotel! staff were friendly, free wireless internet and two blocks from the beach! it is also situated one block from the main shopping street! room was very clean with good maid service! i would definantly stay here again! and the best part is its cheap! the only part i did not like about this hotel was the free breakfast you were only allowed 1 glass of juice and either a crossiont or a bowl of cereal, i guess you cant ask for much when its free

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2010

This is a small quiet hotel with very clean rooms and an excellent staff. 2 cute little dogs Lola and Mafy made my stay very memorable!!! I would definitely recommend this hotel and look forward to stating ther in my future visits to Playa Del Carmen.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Barrio-Management, Guest Relations Manager at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2011

I am reading and will to answer to answer several reviews and it happens I am very slow when it goes to a positive review .
A bad review can slow sales, but a good review is to all the workers of our small hotel a nice badge and a prize for doing a good word : this, has no price to us.
So please apologize if I answered late, but I want you to know that Mafalda and Lola are very happy about your review which are proudly showing to all the workers .
We hope to have you back at the Barrio Latino anytime.
Have a great year!
Andrea.

Reviewed 25 October 2010

My husband and I booked this hotel over a month in advance. We ended up arriving early and stopped by to see if they had room. They said they did not, but they were expecting us the next day. When we went back on the day they had us reserved they said they were overbooked and would move us to another hotel.
They moved us to a a very poor hotel that we would have never reserved for the price we paid for Barrio.
Poor Poor Poor management

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank blkimmel
Barrio-Management, Manager at Barrio Latino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2010

Hi,
we are looking for your record to double check your reservation and what could have happened , since we are now at the end of October but you are mentioning a visit in early March.
We apologize if we had a problem with your booking, sometimes during high season the web agencies force our inventory and oversell the rooms, we suggest to book & double check with an email at the hotel , just in case.
When in troubles, we offer another accomodation which is just an option , or money back: and we usually send our clients to the Hotel Casa de Las Flores for prices and category .
I can read you enjoied it in another posts of yours, at least.
Thanks for giving us the opportunity to give a better service, and sorry again.