“And I'm not even picky...”

Tropical Escape Hotel
Ranked #191 of 210 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Omaha, Nebraska
“And I'm not even picky...”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

So I booked this hotel because the price was right and although I had read all the reviews about it being extremely noisy the party girl side of me decided that meant there was a lot of awesome stuff to do around it and was actually a plus. I was very wrong. It's not JUST noisy there is a reverberation of all the surrounding sounds that seems to bounce of of the hotel. And earlier that day in Chichen I was demonstrated how Mayan architecture allows a specific kind of echo one one side of something to the other. This hotel, although not a ruin, had that same thing going on. I love to party and I could not stand it. Also, the pictures make it look alot more jungle tastic than it actually is. Someone is going to slip to a severe head trauma or their death on the tiled stairs that never seem to dry. I was charged double once I got there (which may or may not have been the fault of the 3rd party I booked through)...it was okay but not good enough. I saw lots of awesome looking places I wish I had stayed. And like I said...I'm not even picky.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Beaufield B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 April 2012

it's sooooo loud. and the internet doesn't work in the room as they promised. the hotel itself is nice for it's money but it's so freaking loud (I normally don't get bothered by noise) and there is no way you can go to sleep. I am staying here for the first night. I booked two nights and it's too late to cancel now so I am thinking to just give up on the second night and move to somewhere else. that's how bad this is.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Playa del Carmen hotels

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 April 2012

First, communications to make the reservations were complicated and difficult. Checking in, the requests we made for rooms was completely disregarded and the desk was confused. I was assigned a room that was not what I had booked and was stuck with it for the entire stay. During my stay the sheets WERE NOT CHANGED, (4 nights) even after I asked the cleaning staff to change them. The room was cleaned adequately but no clean sheets?? Then the noise was horrible. Sleep was almost impossible. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for any one to stay since there are so many options in this fantastic town. Find somewhere else for a nice stay.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Crashed here for one night so we could see Playa del Carmen before heading to our all-inclusive. We read the reviews about the noise, but brought earplugs and slept through much of the racket. Fan and a/c helped keep it down too.

Bed was a little hard and springy, but the place in general was adorable, a lovely (although chilly) pool and it was fun to watch the turtles and fish in the cenote.

The night desk clerk, Lisette, was fantastically sweet and helpful and the location was great. (The daytime girl was not as friendly.) Also it took quite a long time for our rooms to be ready--we got there around 2 pm but couldn't check in until 5:30--and even then, the sheets from the previous occupant were on the floor, all balled up & waiting for the laundry (we just put them outside the door, and they were gone when we stepped out an hour later).

There's no food but there's a great little seafood place down the street and it's around the corner from all the shops and restaurants on Calle 10. Plus it's a block from the beach and next to a fun bar called Dirty Martini. And the cost was less than a quarter of what we would have paid at our all-inclusive. Definitely would stay there again!

Room Tip: Seems the rooms in the villa were a little quieter--If we'd been on the outside next to Dirty Ma...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 March 2011

We had booked this hotel for the holidays and had to leave after the first night after the music shook our windows until 5am. Worst night I have ever spent in a hotel, did not sleep one minute. Still fighting with Expedia to get the $473 back I was charged even though I was told by hotel we would not be charged for room. Nice location and staff, just would never stay there during holidays unless you are only planning on sleeping during the day.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sam2900
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 January 2011

First I have to give it up to the staff, all of the staff at Tropical Casablanca are super friendly and knowledgeable, everyday they gave us undivided attention, tips and great recommendations for food and shops. I especially want to thank Emilia and Daniella every day they gave us excellent advice in English and Spanish. The staff there goes above and beyond in providing the best information. Also the natural Cenote (Estuary) that the hotel is built around is beautiful and filled with wildlife. It is in a perfect part of town, for night life, touristy down-town, the beach, I found it closer to the beach than the resorts we had travelled to. They organized and guided us to excursions at a great rate. I have nothing but praise for the hotel. It also includes a bar and Diving Center where you can become certified in the hotel pool and go out for dives in the ocean.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed 13 January 2011

The staff is absolutely amazing! And the owner Nicola is so wonderful. You can't help but fall in love with them, they're all just great! And the location couldn't be better...one block from the beach and one block from 5th Avenue (which if you've never been is exactly where you want to be...tons of restaurants and shopping to be done)! The unfortunate thing about this hotel though is that over the past couple of years, a few dance clubs opened up right next to the place. From what I hear, the local government can regulate the noise level during non-peak/holiday times. I was there for New Year's Eve so they couldn't really do anything about it. So if you're a light sleeper, you might want to consider another place. But if you plan on having a couple drinks before you hit the sack and have some earplugs, you will be fine. And like I said, I'd recommend the place even with the noise. Thanks again Nicola to you and your staff!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family