“Exciting but too many people!!”
Review of Sian Ka'an Jeep

Sian Ka'an Jeep
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We will pick you up at your hotel, transportation with A/C, (collect throughout the Mayan Riviera from Cancun to Tulum 7:30 - 5:40). Once we get pier will offer us coffe while we waited for our boat assigned, board a speedboat for 10 passengers, it is mandatory to wear a lifejacket. Snorkeling with whale sharks will be accompanied by a sailor, can jump two or four at a time. When we will back will visit isla mujeres to have a ceviche luch and beer to finish our tour.
Reviewed 16 September 2012 via mobile

Seeing the whale sharks was amazing! Even before I got in the water I was struck with awe! The sheer size and beauty of them was just awesome!!
We were picked up from our hotel promptly at 8am. Brief hello with the other couple on the bus, and with the guide- who didn't tell us his name or what the plan was!?
We drove to Cancun, from playacar, which took around an hour. There was some hanging about when we arrived - the light breakfast advertised, wasn't really offered to us. Our nameless guide simply said that there was coffee available if we wanted. There was cake too which I really wanted but didn't know if we were allowed it.
The toilets at the harbour were disgusting, blocked and quite smelly - I'm just glad we went at 9am and no later!!!!
We were each given a snorkel, mask, flippers and a life jacket by the crew as soon as we boarded. We were told to keep life jackets on throughout the boat trip - our nameless guide told us once we reached the whale sharks we would be able to take them off. He was incorrect. The crew insisted that we wear life jackets at ALL times especially while in the water. Crew were very efficient and friendly. Offered wetsuits at an additional cost of $15. Our nameless guide opted for a wetsuit - which he proceeded to put on back to front. That didn't fill me with confidence, though it made me chuckle!
It took around 1 hr 40mins to get to where the whale sharks were. The trip out was bumpy, exhilarating and really good fun.
Each couple on the boat was given a number. As soon as we reached the whale sharks the crew would call out each number for you to jump in and go snorkel. Our nameless guide went first with group 1 and actually landed on the whale shark! Bearing in mind we were told not to touch the whale sharks at all.
Im not a great swimmer and need a few moments to get my breath etc, once I've jumped in. So..... I found it quite frantic to be told to jump in, put yr mask in the water and swim! I think I struggled quite a bit. The member of crew that was snorkelling with us was brilliant. He slowed the pace right down for me, he made sure he stayed really close and even swapped his mask and snorkel with me.
Amazing to see the whale shark and be right there with it!
Unfortunately I felt that there were too many boats (with no propellor guards!) and people in the water. I felt sorry for the whale shark though I suppose if it didn't like what was happening or was distressed it would have swam away.
When the boat isn't moving you can really feel the rocking - which unfortunately made me quite sea sick. (2 on our boat were sea sick!) despite taking anti sickness tablets :-(
The second place we stopped at to snorkel around a reef was lovely. Turquoise water, beers and sandwiches- which cured the sea sickness.
We were picked up fron the harbour and returned to our hotel. Our nameless guide actually got dropped off on the highway before he'd dropped us and another couple off. Which I found quite unprofessional - as we didn't know he was being dropped off until the bus stopped.
Would I do it again? I certainly would - despite the sea sickness, not being able to snorkel I found it amazing to be so close to such an amazing creature. Absolutely fascinating. Definitely a must, especially If you can snorkel :-)

15  Thank Jocelyn R

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Booked this trip for my birthday, When we arrived at the site there were around 20 Whale Sharks when i saw my first one i could'nt believe the size of this beautiful animal, Then it was time to get in the water you really have to listen to your guide and swim when he tells you to swim else you would miss them, We went in the water two at a time with the guide my 11year old son and 14year old daughter had the best time. If you have never snorkelled i would advise trying it before this trip as you do need to know what to do to get the best from this experience. We were able to go into the water three times everyone on our boat were very respectful but there are always a few people who have to push the limits, one guy from another boat was on top of the whale shark at one point guides and people were shouting at him to stop as we are clearly told never to touch the animals due to the bacteria we carry so this was very upsetting to see, SHAME ON HIM!!!
Once we left the whale sharks the rest of the trip was very rushed,we were taken to a reef where we could snorkel and have lunch this was meant to be a BBQ but all we got was a small plate with prawns covered in the most acidic sauce not many of us could eat. Twenty minutes later we were off again anchored off Lady Island for a QUICK swim, we were meant to go ashore to do alittle shopping but this never happened either, we arrived back at the dock at 1pm where we were told our pick up was arranged for 6pm, this tells you just how rushed our trip was!!!! They contacted our pick up who arrived 30 minutes later. Were were all disappointed and shocked considering we paid £1,000 to do this, i think they rely on you enjoying the whale sharks that you would forget about the rest of the trip.
Although the latter part of the trip was awful there no getting away from the fact that everyone must swim with these amazing sharks it is truly a wonderful experience that everyone should do once. Next ones on my list is cage dive with Great Whites.

13  Thank kelly w
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Once in a lifetime experience. 3 hourse in a little boat to find them was a little to much but cant be helped. Forget all that when you find the whale sharks and jump in with them!!

4  Thank BrianLynn2010
Reviewed 13 August 2012

The Whale Shark trip left me a bit disappointed, though it was no fault of the staff. There were SO MANY boats and SO MANY other people who wanted to see the whale sharks that it was insane. People were jumping in the water, pushing and kicking just to get a glimpse. Getting kicked in the head while trying not to disturb the whale shark isn't much fun... :( I spent most of my time trying to avoid people rather than enjoying the shark.

8  Thank Divegoddessgal
Reviewed 2 August 2012

words cannot explain the time I had. Tina and the crew were amazing..I want to do it again. They are only in 2 places in the world..mexico and Australia...these are the biggest fish in the ocean...gentle as fabric softner but incredible HUGE!

8  Thank Danny D