“great choice in Playacar”

Eurostars Hacienda Vista Real
Ranked #113 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
North Carolina
“great choice in Playacar”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I really enjoyed this place. I was in a standard room and thought about upgrading but honestly it is really enormous for one person so didn't bother. Peeked into a one bedroom as it was being cleaned, absolutely ENORMOUS and spotless. If you are here as a couple or family hard to beat it. Poolside breakfast is really nice. I found the distance to town a plus quite frankly. Playa del Carmen is so boisterous at night, and it goes ALL night, so this is such a welcome respite. Who wants to listen to all that while trying to sleep? this is perfect, 15 minute walk or $5 cab ride. They booked all my daytime excursions and the frontdesk is very attentive. They called each evening to ask if everything was alright in my room. The one thing I did tell them, that the showerhead was only facing down and I'm tall, was fixed immediately- actually replaced.

If you are looking to be in the center of it all and don't mind the noise then you may not like this, but if you want to have a buffer zone between you and all the mayhem this is perfect. Have fun!

Room Tip: I had 111. for a single I thought it had enough light and was spacious. There are larger rooms if...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Finnish first
Camden, Maine
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Made a reservation through the internet based on the hotels website and a special price offer if booked and paid for in advance. As we would be leaving after a month in Mexico the next day I thought it would be nice to stay at a hotel with some nicer amenities and pay abit more than normal so we could enjoy a relaxed morning in a pleasant local prior to a long afternoon and evening of traveling. We arrived early afternoon, taking a $7 taxi from the ferry terminal to the hotel located in the playacar complex just south ( a pleasant 15 minute walk) from Playa's busy 5th avenue. The management at the desk located our reservation and as we were early understandably asked us to wait 20 minutes for our room which we did in their pleasant lobby overlooking the pool and a view of the adjacent golf course. We were given water and were surprised to find our &70 dollar standard room had been upgraded to a luxurious deluxe suite- what a treat. Marble floors, a gorgeous balcony with view of the beautiful grounds, full kitchen, modern, bathroom and bed room. The staff as we have found throughout Mexico was professional, polite and dedicated, their pride in their work and their obvious contentment in their jobs creates an atmosphere that makes your stay all the more enjoyable. On top of everything described included was a wonderful buffet breakfast by the pool with multiple choices native and european choices from papaya and motelenos to hot cakes and coffee cake. What a way to end a vacation or for that matter to start one which is exactly what we will do next year when we return to Mexico.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank flyeroli
Kelowna BC Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2012

The one bedrooms here are about 1800 square feet of inlaid marble floors, vaulted ceilings wood trim and granite. The kitchen has a gas range, and stainless appliances. Two large balconies. We paid 65 a night on Expedia on a sale four months in advance for a Febraury stay but even at double that this place is a good value. It is a 50 peso taxi fare or a 20 min walk to town through a safe high end area. So it is best suited to those with a car or walkers. However just add the taxi fare to your daily rate and it is still a good deal. Lots of grocery stores in Playa del Carmen if you want to cook your own meals. The pool is warm and large enough for laps. The breakfast buffet has mexican food but is good. Nice staff. Free internet. I would stay a week here and a week in Playa del Carmen for the ideal trip. Beware the hotel rooms. They are small and dark.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Provincetown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I run a bed and breakfast. I know the work involved in providing an excellent customer experience. This establishment does it in spades.

My suite was larger than most apartments I've lived in. Full Living room, Dining room, Kitchen (I like to cook, and could have used more cooking equipment, and there was no coffee maker, but most people don't cook on vacation, so I get it). Huge bedroom with a fantastic bed. I slept better than I ever have on a vacation. A nice bathroom with seperate shower and jacuzzi tub, 4, yes, 4 balconies on the 1st floor, and an enormous wrap around balcony on the rooftop, with a private hot tub, which, fortunately, was not heated at the time, and I used as a plunge pool. A hot tub seems out of place anyway, considering the temperature in Playa. 85 degrees every day. The suite has beautiful vaulted brick ceilings throughout. A very nice touch. And the view of Cozumel from the roof deck was a nice surprise.

The staff was very courteous, and in spite of a booking snafu, handled things efficiently, and professionally. I was upgraded to the large suite, which is only slightly more expensive to begin with.. and even at twice the price, the upgrade is well worth it. Honestly, spoil yourself a little.

Breakfast was delicious, plentiful and varied each day. So nice to start the day by the lake on the golf course. It really set the tone each morning.

The grounds are well kept, and the neighborhood is beautiful, quiet, and very, very safe.

The downsides (which really had little impact on me) that everyone talks about are as follows:

1) It is difficult to find the place the first time, and for me, the second time. Once you get your bearings, all is good. I would suggest printing a Google Earth shot of the neighborhood before you leave for your trip. it will help.

2) It is a 20 minute walk to the commercial district and the beach. I liked the walk, and even lost 5 lbs on the trip, so I'm all for it, but I can see where people could get tired of it.

I rented a car, and suggest you do, as well. Free parking on site.

After spending 10 nights, I was so sad to leave. I walked into town (Playa Del Carmen) daily, and saw some beautiful hotels and complexes, but the noise, and crowds, for me, were a huge turn off. When I return to Playa, I have every intention of staying at the Hacienda Vista Royal again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Royal Suite. It's incredible.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Worshashore
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We just got back from a week in Playa Del Carmen and stayed 6 nights at the Hacienda Vista Real. We LOVED the hotel. It is SO quiet, I always slept well. Buffet breakfast was great, different everyday, eggs, potatoes, juice, toast, fruit, a mexican dish, coffee, tea. And eating by the pool and lake every morning in the warm sun was lovely. The beds were comfortable, rooms were big with high ceilings, granite tile bathroom, cavernous shower. I thought the staff was great, always friendly and ready to help. They give you fresh beach towels everyday and FREE water bottles. I suggest for $20 more a night upgrading to the larger suites, which we took a look at. We stayed in 2020 which had 2 double beds and a balcony overlooking the gardens (not a suite, just a room). The suites are HUGE; living room, dining room, full kitchen and bedroom. I would get one of these if we went back with our daughter. The place had a few families, but not a lot of kids running around. Mostly couples. Nice pool area too.
Downsides: if you do not have a car ( I really suggest it! We saved a ton of money not buying tours of the ruins and the car was only $10 a day!) you will have to take taxis ($4-5) into town which is a 5 minute drive to 10th AVE which has all the shops and restaurants and nightclubs. You could walk into town, 20 mins. We walked 15 minutes to the beach one day, but I would not want to do that everyday. With a car you can drive to the different beaches, we had a great day snorkeling at Akumal ($12pp for mask and life jacket from Akumal Dive shop. $2 to park in lot across from it.)
Other downside is finding this hotel! We got in at 11pm and drove around 30 minutes to find it! HERE ARE THE DIRECTIONS!
TAKE the highway, 307 from Cancun airport south about 40 minutes to Playa Del Carmen
that part is easy. Then as you come near the end of town, you can tell you are going to start heading into nowhere again, big sign for TULUM, you want to take a Retourno and head back NORTH on 307 STAY in the right 2 lanes. Then look for the HUGE PlayaCar sign in stone. You want to turn into the second one. (If you miss it take the road on the right by Holiday Inn.) The streets are not marked. Come past the security gate, and look for the hotel signs in the middle of the road. First right is for Vista Real and Pakal. Pass the OXXO, and look for the BIG PAKAL golf sign, it is BEHIND PAKAL. Of course we did not have a clue where this place was so we drove all over Playacar. OK, go through security gates of Pakal, and now head to the left as you drive down. Go all the way down and the hotel is at the end ( no sign! They need to put up a big sign!) Free parking in the lot.
If you miss the Playacar entrance, take the street by Holiday Inn which goes all the way down, and then turn right into the Playacar development, and then another right by the traffic circle. Take that up.)
We had a great time, we saw a lot with the car: Tulum, Coba ruins, Akumal beach, and snorkeling in a cenote and ziplining at AtkunChen. We went to the beachclub at PLaya Mamitas ( $40 pesos for a lounge with umbrella) but got there too late for one.
And we drove into town everynight for dinner on 10th AVe.
FOUND PARKING ON 20th AVE between 6th and 8thNorte everynight! We had great food
on the Ave. Liked most restaurants we ate in. Lots of fun shops.
Great place to visit. I heard Playa Del Carmen is better than Cancun. And one night we went out for a drink, stopped in Mandala ( says $12 cover but they let us in at 11.30pm free) and
we went to the club across the street on the beach.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ArtTeacherAmy
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We arrived late at night to fun a largely abandoned hotel at the end of a dead end street. When they gave us our room key, they said the room was 'downstairs', and showed us to our room. The room was musty, dark and smelled like mold was growing all over the walls.

We requested extra pillows and they never arrived (despite being to the desk twice), and the overall service was poor.

The location of the hotel is almost worse than the costumer service. Plan a good 30 min walk to get anywhere for dinner (btw, they don't have dinner at the hotel).

Overall, a Motel 6 is cleaner, a Super 8 is friendlier and almost anything is more convenient than Hacienda Vista...

• Stayed February 2012
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Lovely hotel, very clean and the staff are great nothing was too much trouble.
The buffet breakfasts were a gd mixture of cereal, toast, fruit and typically Mexican food to choose from, so something for everyone.
Maid service was regular and very efficient.
If I was being really picky the ONLY thing I would recommend is that they offer a shuttle service to the beach as its a little out of the way and the walk is a bit of a chore in the heat but other than that it was perfect.

Room Tip: If you can stretch to an apartment do it to ensure you get a balcony and a view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends