“Not what it used to be”

Eurostars Hacienda Vista Real
Ranked #111 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“Not what it used to be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel has lost its charm and glory. My fiance and I stayed there for 6 nights and just came back. Having know the hotel when it recently opened, and how notorious and popular it was for its impressive spa, we were disappointed to see its current conditions:

Pros:
- Excellent service: everyone greets you and is willing to help
-The thatched roof in the main hall is impressive
- Located away from noisy downtown
- Overlooks the gorgeous golf course
- In the midst of nature
- Within a residential area, making you feel like a local
- We felt like we had the pool to ourselves as it was barely being used

Cons:
- You'll pay from $70 to $100 pesos one way from the hotel. That's almost $15 back every time you leave and return.
- The breakfast selection is of a questionable quality. The birds will eat your food if you leave it unattended, and will eat the food left off by the buffet (gross..)
- the spa is in bad shape compared to what it used to be: the salt water pool, outdoor pool, turkish shower and half of it has been closed down
- the rooms are damp: the wall are so thin, you can hear people's conversation as if you were in their rooms.
- the hotel is built in a traditional Mexican style and needs some major upgrades: the jacuzzi in the room doesn't work, the shower heads are clogged with salt water

At least you know what you're getting yourself into if you book a room there.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank Marielle2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Finnish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Good Value!!

Booked the Royal Suite thinking it was the rooftop room with a tub and a pool but got a suite with a deluxe studio attached to it. Other than not getting what I expected it still was a very nice room. It was a great stay. It is a bit of an older hotel but you get what you pay for.

Access to the gym was free which is very nice. For 5US you have access to the Dry and wet sauna and pools at the spa.

Lounging by the golf course lake is nice and quiet unlike the beach or big resorts.

Breakfast was great, lots of choices.

A bit of a walk 15-20 minutes to get to Playa town.

It is only a 5 minutes walk to get to the beach if you cut through the golf coarse and beach resorts without getting caught.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jason G
Saskatoon, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

The pictures of Eurostars Hacienda Vista Real Hotel deceive the viewer, as they paint a picture of a magnificent hotel with stunning views and meticulously kept surroundings. However, as soon as I pulled up to the hotel I could tell the maintenance of the building was lacking. There were broken tiles and windows, and limited lighting. As I entered my room I was overcome by an overwhelming smell of mildew and mold. Over the course of my stay I experienced several problems with my room and the hotels amenities in general. Our room had a leaking roof in the bathroom. The maintenance man was prompt to come and fix the roof, yet it did began leaking again. In our room we had a “hide-a-bed” that never closed. We asked at least three different times to have the bed repaired so we could use our living space; however, it was never fixed. We had a patio area, yet it was not furnished and could not be utilized. The patio area was also noticeable unkempt. We requested outdoor furniture and were brought two plastic chairs, although we had a total of five guests staying in the room. The ``hot tubs`` never heated and the jets did not work. The hotel staff informed us they were actually `small pools`. The hotel served a lovely breakfast in the mornings. However, they had many birds and lacked covered seating. Two of the guests I traveled with had the dis-pleasurable experience of cleaning bird feces off their clothes first thing in the morning. On a positive note, the people who work at the hotel are wonderful, as they are friendly, helpful, and kind. I would never return to Eurostars Hacienda Vista Real Hotel, nor would I recommend it to other travelers.

Room Tip: The beds are hard and uncomfortable. However, you can ask for a padded top for extra comfort.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Melinda R
Banff, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

We chose this hotel after doing lots of research about hotels in and around Playa del Carmen, and we read the unhappy reviews from guests but understood that these people had not done enough research about what they were booking before they arrived. I think that people that have written the unhappy reviews are guests that wanted a cheap price, so have booked the cheap rooms - all I can say is - you get what you pay for!!
So we did our research and:
We wanted a hotel that was NOT all inclusive, so we could get out and experience local cuisine and culture - we got that.
We wanted a small hotel that was NOT near the hustle and bustle, and that didn't have rowdy parties by the pool in the evening, so that it was quiet - we got that.
We wanted a more Mexican style hotel - we got that.
We wanted somewhere we could keep our drinks and snacks cold after a day at the beach, so we chose an Ambassador suite room which was a 1 bedroom apartment with kitchen and lounge - we got that.
We wanted to be near the beach and near Playa Del Carmen, so we hired bikes (80 pesos per day) to get around (so much fun) and only 10 mins bike ride to 5th Ave and Playa Del Carmen or the beach - so we got that.
Do not choose this hotel -
If you want to be in the action.
If you are unhappy about being 30 mins walk / 10 mins bike ride from Playa Del Carmen (5th Avenue).
If you are unhappy about paying 70 pesos each way to Playa Del Carmen by taxi.
If you want to buy drinks at the pool bar after 3pm.
We had the best 10 days at the Eurostars Hacienda Vista Real, we loved our room which accessed directly onto the pool, we loved our balcony where we had our pre-dinner drinks, we loved biking around Playa Car, we loved being in a more secure location, we loved the breakfast, yummy omelets , and we loved the staff. Thank you Hacienda Vista Real.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
21 Thank 007lucy
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

The hotel was really nice from the entry garden and the lobby. The lobby roof was thatch and had to be at least 60 feet tall. The hotel is located in Playacar which has security cameras all over the place and then inside a gated community with 24/7 security guards. The road deadends at the hotel and the pool area looks out over the golf course. This hotel is away from all the partying noise which is good. The down side to its location is that it's a long walk to the beach or to Playa Del Carmen...guessing about 2km walk. I was apprehensive to rent a car due to all the bad publicity I had found regarding the rental car companies. The room I stayed in was 209-1. It had no view at all but at $81/night I didn't expect one. The one thing the hotel should change is putting some sort of weatherstripping on the doors so they don't slam when the doors close. The shower was nice and VERY tall. I'm 6'5" and I didn't have to bend over to get my head wet. I never ran out of hot water in the shower even though I read there were problems with it. The water pressure was superb. Upon entering the room there was a funky smell. That smell never went away and I'm guessing it was something in the air conditioner vents. The a/c had 3 speed levels, Low, Medium and High. No matter which speed you set, it only came out at one speed. The a/c did work very well and got the room bone chilling cold. It took a bit of playing with the thermostat to figure out what level to put it on and leave it so that the room would always be the right temperature. No roaches or bedbugs were found, ever. The hotel provided 2 water bottles daily.
The hotel gives you 2 cards to claim your beach towels. Mario seems to be the only one who understands how the towel card works. Just be sure you have the same number of towel cards when you leave as when you checked in.
The free breakfast buffet was good and ran from 7:30am to approximately 11:30am. Word of caution: Once you get your food NEVER LEAVE THE TABLE until you are finished with your food as the black birds will raid your plate. It wasn't uncommon to see scrambled eggs in the pool every morning. The hotel serves a light lunch that you can purchase but they offer no dinner at all. There is a restaurant just outside the security gate to the street. The food there is good but I'll review restaurants in another post. The hotel has a spa/gym in a building next to the road. It's built to look like a Mayan pyramid. It costs extra for some of the features. I wasn't there to go to the gym/spa so all I can say is is looked nice from the outside.
The one thing I can honestly say that I hated about this hotel was the mattress. It was like laying on concrete. Thankfully I had read other reviews stating the same thing so it wasn't a total surprise. I was hoping the rock hard mattress was in just that person's room. The room had a safe to keep your valuables. You create your own code for it.

Room Tip: If I were to go back again I would see about getting a room that wasn't on an interior hallway t...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Patrick Z
Saskatoon, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

I am giving this property a 2/5 because the staff were extremely nice. The hotel offered free water , beach towels, and a gym.

Cons: sewer gas smell in the room every morning around ten, really hard beds, there was a hot-tub that wasn't working or getting fixed, and the hotel wasn't clean.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank surf s
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

Hacienda Vista Real is situated in the luxury hotel district adjacent to the commercial centre of the hugely popular Playa del Carmen.

This is a great hotel ... one of the nicest in Mexico..

An oasis of luxury, comfort and tranquillity ... yet a short walk away from the relative bustle of Playa del Carmen. Hotel Eurostars Hacienda Vista Real is a luxury resort that beckons you to enjoy the pleasures of Mexico?s Caribbean coastline ... and the hotel itself is surrounded by a fantastic setting made up of lakes, tropical gardens, golf courses.

The hotel is designed like a in the style of Mexican hacienda, with the most exclusive architecture, layout and furniture characteristic of Yucatan Mexico. The atmosphere in the entire premises of the Hacienda is utterly quite and relaxed.

But the real gem is that the building feels like a historic Mayan property that makes you feel special as it has only 77 elegant, sophisticated rooms .... as opposed to the very nice BUT mega resort hotels nearby with 500 plus rooms.

Ancient history and nature combine to make the Hacienda Vista Real something really really special.

And the location and building / reception really does have a wow factor.

This place makes you happy!

This place is special ... it has a chilled vibe, a real mixture of eclectic (mainly wealthy foreign) guests who book rooms and apartments and descend downwards like the famous Galapagos iguanas to relax around the nearby beaches of Playa ... or the lovely/ stunning pool area.

It takes second to think ... wow ... I am on holiday ... I have worked hard for this ... I deserve this for me and my family.

As and advertising and marketing man ... I love adverts .. and one of the very best this year was what I saw whilst skiing in Breck/ Aspen and Vail early last year.

It was run on behalf of one of those hotel/ or travel price comparison sites ... and never showed you the hotels and rooms that people booked.

It just showed the faces of the guests as they were shown their hotel / room/ etc etc. Apprehension, sometimes overtaken by instant joy or a shout of yes.

Brilliant! You never ever saw what they were seeing (keeps the production costs down!) ...simply the joy of the people as they saw what they have booked.

This is the same for Hacienda Vista Real... you can see the joy in peoples faces as they walk in to Reception ... ... when you sit for breakfast ... when they see the Jacuzzi ... or the main pool ... see the breakfast buffet ... or the sea .... there is a real wow factor!!!!!

... Hacienda Vista Real ... put simply ... makes you happy. Or in my case. Even more happier.

The best 5 things about Hacienda Vista Real

The best 5

1. the location/ building
2. The great staff ... the really make you feel special and and so happy to share their hotel and country with you. Actually stand out staff!
3. The people who visit Hacienda Vista Real ... the vibe ... I have really met some amazing people ...
4. The pool!!
5. It is actually ...cheaper than you think ... and WAY WAY Cheaper than some of the Mega Mega Hotels

More about Playa

Playa del Carmen, now the third-largest city in Quintana Roo, is the trendiest spot on all of the Yucatán Peninsula. Sitting coolly on the lee side of Cozumel, the town’s beaches are jammed with foreigners.

The waters aren’t as clear as those of Cancún or Cozumel, and the beach sands aren’t quite as champagne-powder-perfect as they are further north, but still Playa (as it’s locally known) grows and grows.
Strolling down Playa del Carmen’s pedestrian corridor, Quinta Avenida (keen-ta; 5 Avenida), is a fabulous game of see-and-be-seen.

The town is ideally located: close to Cancún’s international airport, but far enough south to allow easy access to Cozumel, Tulum, Cobá and other worthy destinations. The reefs here are excellent, and offer diving and snorkeling close by.

About the author

This is my 28th review for tripadvisor.

You earn "senior contributor badge when you achieve this 20 reviews.

Whatever! ...I do reviews to add to the community ... to inform and then make the right choices.

I am more interested in the fact that coming up to 8000.. have actually read my reviews. THIS year alone.

A Crazy number in terms of average reads.

And I have not done 4000 reviews ...like some weirdo in japan ... from what I can see ... has about 4000 reads ... from about 3000 reviews ... 20 miles of his bedsit! :)

I keep getting Trip Advisor mother ship telling me ...please people love your reviews ...please write more".

... whilst i am up there in the top ... 1% of people read reviews ... and I take that seriously ... since you have a duty to help your fellow traveler ... I use others reviews to inform me ... and they should expect honest reviews by fellow users.

Actually ... no ... only when I have something to say. But on this occasion I have ... come here! the setting with the vibe and the R&R almost perfect. Recommended by Trip Advisor ... and by me.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends