“Awful Hotel”

Ranked #111 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
San Francisco
“Awful Hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2009

No wonder this was one of the only hotels with availabilities on Dec 30/31... First of all, this hotel is not in downtown Playa. Not that it mattered to us, we don't mind having to take a cab to go to the city. When we saw our room we freaked out: basically, half of the hotel rooms (those that are not facing the pool) have only two tiny windows of 5 inches by 15 inches facing a walkway, and one window facing the adjacent room's wall. This means that it is always gloomy in your room and have to turn the lights on during daylight. Second, the paint was coming out of our bathroom ceiling, leaving white chips on the floor. While we were showering, the damp made it worse and we would have paint fall on our heads. The worst part was when we enterred the room, there was an awful smell... like ultra humid and stinky. The manager recognized this smell was not normal, but she just said that it was due to the fact that so little air comes in the room, as their ventilation system does not work properly in that room. We told them they should change our room, but she said they were booked (then why the heck are they selling this room?). But she said she would do something about it. She called a house keeper, told us to wait in the lobby. We came back 20 minutes later, the house keeper had spilled all over the floor and in the bathroom this artificial cinammon oil meant to camouflage the smell - but she had put so much the whole place was even worse and it was hard to breathe because of the chemicals! So then we had to bring in extra fans to fan the place for 2 hours - and try to get this awful cinammon smell out. We finally managed to get the smell out and go to bed. The next day they put us in another room that was ok (no smell) - but the windows were still tiny. During the entire evening the person on duty hardly spoke english and told us she didn't have the manager's number. I will never go back there.

• Disliked — Staff; rooms; overall service
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Asanfranciscogal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Finnish first
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2009

This review is long overdue, but I have read so many negative reviews here that I feel obligated to give my $.02. I have stayed at many hotels throughout the world, and would rate this one as well above average. One must take an objective approach when ranking a stay, and that rings 100% true for this hotel. HVR may be advertised as a 5 star hotel, which it may be if compared to other 5 stars in Mexico, but it would not be a 5 star hotel in the U.S., although I believe it would be a strong 4 star.

First I will start out with the bad (not much):

1- The bed (at least in our 1 bedroom room) sits against the wall where the entrance to the room is. So it is easy to here people walking/talking in the hallway. Not a problem if you are waking up at 8am, but can be a prob if you are trying to sleep in a bit.

2- The hot water in our room was an issue. We had hot water most of the time, but twice (in our 11 day stay) we did have to call the front desk and ask them to fix our hot water. Not a huge issue, as it was somehow fixed within a few mins, but still somewhat annoying.

3- This one could be good or bad depending on what you are looking for: It is a few mins from everything ($5 and 5 mins by taxi to 5th ave, etc...) It is also a very small place, which makes one feels very secluded, so DO NOT stay here if you are a group of guys looking to party and hook up. You would be much better off staying somewhere off 5th ave, or in Cancun. On the other hand, if you are with a signifigant other (as was the case for me), it is perfect! You are a short 5 min cab ride from all the action if you want it, or you can sit by the pool and chill almost by yourselves all day (either the pool with a swim up bar, or in one of the pools at the spa).

Now for the good:

1- Very clean and very welcoming. I read some reviews about time-share issues, but I NEVER witnessed anyone besides the same group of ~6 front desk people, who were courteous and VERY helpful.

2- Getting a good deal at this place is as easy as a phone call DIRECTLY to them. I stumbled upon HVR by searching for packages online. I found what I thought was a good deal on Ebay by a private seller, but I always do my homework, so I called HVR direct just to see how they would compare with the private seller. Through calling HVR direct, i was able to secure a better deal on a better room, and the booking process was painless, as the person taking the reservation was fluent in english.

3- Great service!!!! When we arrived, they brought 2 sour-apple martinis to our room 2 mins after our bags were brought in. We left $1-$2 tip everday for the turndown service, and when we got back to our room we had towel art (sometimes surronded with flower pedals) in our room. No big to me, but my girlfriend was def impressed. Little things like that go a long way in making a pleasant stay somewhere

4- The rooms were rather well decorated and comfortable. Again, this is Mex so you must compare apples to apples, but nice linens + an in room jet-tub + a flat panel TV + rich, dark wood doors + 5 feet from the pool with a swim up bar = a pretty good room! Even when comparing this place to others in the U.S., again a solid 4 star for sure.

5- Great bang for the buck. We originally had planned to be here for 3 of our 7 days in Mex, but the hotel we had planned on moving to lost our reservation (actually ranked as one of the top ones on trip advisor in PDC, give you a hint- the hotel has a french name and in english it translates to "The Little Prince"). HVR was willing to let us stay for the rest of our trip. Well, on what was originally supposed to be the 7th and final day of our vaca, Hurricane Ike hit Houston and we were "stuck" in PDC for another few days (no flights into or out of Hou for 3-4 days). Called the front desk again, and they said no problem, we could have the same room at the same rate. It was unbelievable how easy and painless that turned out to be.

6- The spa. Ok, I do not know what some of the reviewers here were expecting (maybe floors made of diamonds and gold), but the spa was INCREDIBLE!!! Indoor salt water pool, rock wall, great massages, great locker rooms with different tempatured spas, roof top pool with great lounge beds! We spent the vast majority of our time there. There is a restaurant also on the roof, so another drink, or food was always just a few feet from the pool.

6- The beach club. The only negative to the beach club is that it is a 30 min shuttle ride away (you can drive yourself anytime if you have a rental), and the shuttle only runs twice per day. Some may see this as a big negative, but you will TOTALLY change your mind when you arrive at the beach. Absolutely gorgeous stretch of VERY secluded beach. The beach club itself was closed when we were there (no drink svc, etc). I was told it was b-c it was the slow season, which I believe b-c the first time we went down there it was just us and one other couple and we had the beach all to ourselves!!!! HVR had 2 guys out there just to keep watch over the place, and you can get boogie boards, etc from them. B-C of the seclusion, I honestly had a better time at that beach, then at Mamitas Beach Club off 5th Ave. GREAT ADVISE= buy a couple of Bubba Kegs and carry with you at all times!!!!! We never were without at the beach club or anywhere else b-c of that (I have a 52 oz one and my g-friend has a 32 oz).

I could go on, but I think I made my point. This place is perfect for a couple, or a few couples, esp if you are a couple who play
golf (HVR actually sits on I think the 9th hole of Playacar GC, a Von Hagge design), or if you just want seclusion, but still want to have fairly easy access to the PDC nightlife if you want it.

• Liked — Spa, location, beach
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Pgar
Denmark
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2009

I have travelled all over the world for years and never have I stayed at such at terrible hotel. Everything, and I meen everything, you can possible imagine was wrong. When I arrived they did not know i was comming so I had to waity 3 hours to get a room. When I finally got it the room was not cleaned. While they cleaned it they sent me to the pool, where there had no more towells. They did not hav a chair for me eather so I sat on the concret for 2 hours before my room was ready. The aircondition did not work and when I wanted to go to the beach I found out they did not have a beach any more. Food and drinks was bad and very slow, and when bill came it was totally messed up with things i did not order. Plastic was floating in the pool. There where no lighting in the hall ways and no room nombers on the doors and when I asked which room I was staying in since I forgot they did not know. Satelite signal was broken for the hole hotel the hole stay and when I came to my room at midnight to go to bed I found out that the door from the room to the garden could not lock so I had to stay awayke for 1 hour in order for them to fix it. Room service never showed up when I called them, Towells where dirty, and most the staff did not speake english. This was all only on the first day. The next day it all continued so i finally thought I was on hidden camera or something. My room was never cleaned, beds was the hardest I tried in a hotel and so on and so on. But worste of all the staff was ingnorant, arrogant and unfriendly. PLEASE NEVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!

Stayed December 2008
New York City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2008

The Hacienda Vista Real was absolutely horrible!!!! From the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out.

We booked this hotel through RCI (time share exchange) through this service we were required to purchase the all inclusive meal plan which was more then disappointing and a complete waist of money.

Upon arriving at the hotel you enter a gated residential neighborhood and when you approach the hotel it looks absolutely beautiful..... Unfortunately this is where it stops. When checking in, the hotel had messed up all the rooms. After an hour of figuring everything out we were taken to our rooms. One room was a 2 bedroom suite that was very spacious and somewhat nice until we went into the back bedrooms that smelt so terribly of mildew it was hard to imagine sleeping there. After getting over the smell we realized that the windows are directly off the lobby so you can hear the staff and all the people milling through the lobby every 15 min. it sounded like some drunk teenager just walked into your room.

After checking in we went down to the pool cafe and and had some drinks and appetizers. The drinks were weak.... so weak we had to order extra shots on the side and add them ourselves. When the food arrived (Nachos, tacos, ceviche, guacomole) it was tasteless and terrible. The ceviche was made of frozen fish and smelt terrible we could not eat it. After the drinks and appetizers we headed up to Jazmin the fine dining restaurant.

We were very excited to eat hear as the other revues raved about the food. Entering a very beautifully designed restaurant I was excited until the food came. We could not imagine the food being any worse then the pool cafe, we were wrong! I ordered seared yellowtail which later led to food poisening that evening. All 8 of us could not finish our food or take more then one bite.

After a uncomfortable night sleep in rock hard beds we were ready to soak up the sun and swim in the caribbean ocean. The hotel said they have a beach club a short shuttle ride away that offered towels, lounge, chairs a restaurant and a bar with service. When we inquired about the beach club they told us the shuttle only runs twice a day and that there is no beach club or food but they would provided us with drinks and a lunch box. Before heading to the beach the front desk informed us that there is no lunch boxes but they will provide us with drinks. We headed out on what was suppost to be a 15 min shuttle ride that ended up to be 45 min. long trip almost to Tulum. The beach was stunning but with no food and only two 2 liter bottles of coke and some cups provided it was unbelievable and really ruined the beach day.

A long story short the service the location and the food were terrible. I have never ever stayed at a place this terrible and it was so bad it almost ruined our trip. I strongly advise you to never consider staying here as they completely misrepresent what they are about.

As for Playa Del Carmen it is amazing! Gorgeous beaches great food and a very quaint european seaside town.

• Liked — Leaving the hotel
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2008

We stayed at the Hacienda Vista Real on our first trip to Mexico this July/August, and it was the perfect hotel for us. We were looking for something that was smaller than an all-inclusive mega resort but just as luxurious, and this hotel doesn't disappoint.

The spa next door, which you get free access to when staying at the hotel, is gorgeous. It has 3 floors of relaxing rooms, and a full gym. They also offer spa treatments for an extra price (well worth it!). The staff is extremely nice and helpful.

The hotel room was small, and without windows, but still very nice and good for us, as we were out and about most days.

Both restaurants had excellent food, especially the smaller restaurant in the back near the pool, which was really nice and had excellent breakfast.

And the hotel is a short 20 minute walk to downtown Playa and 5th Ave.

Great staff, great hotel and great spa. All in all, highly recommended.

• Liked — The amazing spa and the smaller, non-crowded feel
  • Disliked — We probably should have chosen a bigger room with a view
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank closacco
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2008

A vendor at the airport encouraged us to visit the hotel for a condo talk and the coupon guaranteed a minimium of 90 minutes and money towards our car rental. However, when we produced the information, they took it from us and would not give it back. They looked us in the eye and said if we only planned on staying for the 90 minutes they wouldn't be able to give us the promised money. In fact, they couldn't give us the money towards our car rental as we were promised. Instead, we could buy tours from them and they would give us marginal discounts off the tours. They picked us up at our hotel, but dropped us off a half mile away.
The lobby was hot and not air conditioned in any way. 1/10 people we talked to at the hotel could speak English with any real facility. Seriously, consider staying somewhere else.

• Liked — Low price
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank u0492600
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2008

My friends and I got back from a 4 day-3 night stay at the Hacienda Vista Real. We had taken a four day trip earlier in the week to the Yucatan Peninsula and went to the Hacienda as the final beach stop to our Mexican adventure.

We drove into Playa Del Carmen and hunted for the resort. I will say that it is a hard place to find and nestled in the middle of a resort/condo complex called Playacar. Be prepared to drive around the whole complex and ask about 5 people to find it. It is both good and bad. Hidden gem, but difficult to find.

The property and spa are beautiful. Our two bedroom suite was comfortable and very nice. I would say that it is a small property and not very large, so you can explore it within 20 minutes. The pool is fine with a swim-up bar and pool side restaurant. The food was good, but very limited menu there and at the Jasmin - the restaurant at the Spa. The best pool location though is at the top of the Spa with an infinity pool and nice lounge areas - although small.

My biggest disappointment was the service. Not sure if it was because the hotel was slow without many guests, but service dragged. The rooms were clean, but we never got replacement towels. I guess if you don't leave a tip everyday, you're not going to get the same service everyday.

There were several occasions at the restaurants where waitstaff walked past us, and we had to in the end seat ourselves AND get our own menus. Our first meal there - it took forever to get our food, and some of our meals were missing portions of it which took even longer to sort out - and then get corrected. I don't believe it was a part of a language barrier, b/c we had a Spanish speaking traveller with us - and the server spoke English as well.

Overall, the property is pretty - and well maintained. Service was severely lacking. Go off the property (15 min walk) to the main strip - 5th Ave - to have dinner and drinks...don't go all-inclusive...the meal choices and service could definitely be improved.

• Liked — Spa - great facilities
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends