Eurostars Hacienda Vista Real
US$229
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
US$326
US$258
Barcelo.com
US$605
US$589
  • Breakfast included
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)
US$320
US$467
US$227
Melia.com
US$320
US$301
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$413
US$403
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$556
US$399
Orbitz.com
  • Beachfront
US$232
HotelsClick
  • Breakfast included
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$806
US$702
All reviewsliving roomminute walkgated communityrental carbreakfast buffetnice propertyamazing hotelwe loved our stayfifth avenuethe wait staffplayacartaximexicobalconiesoxxopesosdaniel
Reviewed 27 February 2010

I rarely write a negative review as I believe that most things that are bad that I experience are just deviations from a good hotels norm. THIS location, however, is different. First, the initial room we were given had one window that let in NO light. Literally, with the lights off in the middle of the day it is BLACK. After discussing my concern with the front desk (and having them tell me there is nothing they can do for me today unless we want to pay extra for a suite upgrade- unapologetic staff was the norm here), we stayed there for the first night (of 4). We went to sleep at around 10 or 11 and were woken up at midnight when our neighbors returned for the night. I would have been annoyed at them had they been screaming or doing something terribly disruptive. Sadly, they were just talking in their room and due to the terrible (lack of) sound insulation it sounded like they were sitting on my bed talking to me. I could have easily taken part in their conversation without moving. SO- the next day we got moved to the one studio room with a sliding door (that did not lock properly!!! but we picked our battles). Yes, the lighting was better but you give up the spa tub in this room. That night, all of a sudden it smelled like someone was smoking in our room. It turned out that was due to the 2inch gap around the door between our room and the adjoining room. When we asked to be put in any room where there was no adjoining room no matter what the price (this was after two terrible nights sleep due to neighbor noise) they told us that ALL rooms have adjoining rooms. I suppose if you are traveling with friends this is not a terrible problem BUT for us, it was a deal breaker.
If you are a light sleeper at all, BRING EAR PLUGS. Really!!!
On the positive (not that this mattered as the BONES of the place ruined our stay), the breakfast was nice and the walk that people complained about is really not that bad. The weather is generally great and its an easy walk 15-20 minutes max to the start of downtown. For golfers, I would imagine there are still better options out there but it would be convenient.
summary-
if you value a good nights sleep, good service, and airy rooms AVOID.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank arobin
Reviewed 17 February 2010

This hotel was probably great at one time, but we felt like we were staying at the hotel in "The Shining." It was eerily empty. There were very few staff or guests around. The hotel itself is in a golf community, and you must travel for beach, food, etc. The hotel's "restaurant" and bar next to the pool was only open until 3pm. I went to take a bath and the handle fell off in my hand. I swear I had bed bug bites. The hotel and the spa next door, while they were probably great a year or two ago, are showing signs of lack of maintenance. the spa overall would be great, if the pools/fountains were all filled and there were anyone around- the beauty area was empty and the restaurant looked abandoned. the roof top pool looked beautiful, but it didn't look like you could get any drinks/snacks near it. The pool at the hotel was small and there was little room for chairs in the sun. To top it off, when we arrived, the mini bar was completely empty. We asked that it be filled. Someone showed up around 10pm, and put items in. Upon checking out, we were accused of eating a number of items that we had not even seen in the mini-bar. After standing there waiting for 20 minutes while the front desk person argued with someone in spanish about the items, and asking us several time, "are you sure you didn't eat chocolate and x?"we finally threw cash on the counter and walked away.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank clancyaustin
Reviewed 31 January 2010

I got this room for 2 nigths at the end of a business trip to Merida. I wanted a place for a couple of nights rest and beach before heading back to Alaska. To get to this hotel you have to take 1 1/2 hour bus and then a 5 dollar taxi. To walk to Playa takes 25 minutes. The staff tries to make it sound like its just around the corner. NOT TRUE. I was given a room that's about as big as a shoebox and one window looks out on a wall. The door to the room is not plumb and light shines through all around. They serve breakfast but no other food is available and the nearest store for even water is, again, quite a hike. Do not stay here if you want convience or ease and plan to spend extra $$ on transportation.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank AlaskaTraveler3
Reviewed 23 January 2010

This review is long overdue. My wife and I decided on the Vista Real for our honeymoon. The promise of a private beach club, and free shuttle to and from was a major reason for our decision, since the hotel is not on the beach. However when we arrived the hotel had just been sold, actually it was being sold right before our eyes. We saw both the owners (new and old) finalizing the deal. The beach as it turned out was not part of the deal. Under the new owner's command the management showed us no sympathy nor would they negotiate anything to make the situation right. We ate at the outside restraunt the vast majority of our stay, the food was very good and the staff was wonderfull. The change in ownership had the staff just as worried as we were upset. Because of the timing of our trip I cannot recomend this hotel. I fear that the staff that was there was not retained or they were not treated right and found other employement. And they were the only highlight of our stay. Bottomline; no beach, bad ownership, $5-10 cab ride to anything, nice spa, nice golf course, small rooms unless you get a suite. Probably a better value out there

Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kevricco
Reviewed 2 January 2010

we stayed for 5 days in the high season.the hotel was very clean and we had a nice room after we complained about the first one. The bed was excellent. the staff was nice and the breakfast buffet was very good and included. i liked the feel of the hotel on the inside kind of like a old hacienda.

we didnt like the location...there was no shuttle to the beach and it is either a 1-2 mile walk or a cab ride. we dont golf but if you do its on top of a nice golf course. it was too isolated for us. the pool area was pleasant but the pool was small. the SPA cost an extra 15.00 a day per person and didnt look worth it...it was huge, but most of the water areas were in separated male-female areas and they were indoors with no windows. we found one mineral jacuzzi upstairs but it didnt seem worth the money for that. the SPA was very empty, too empty.
i would only recommend this hotel to a golfer who liked ALOT OF QUIET.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple