“One man's reject could be a treasure to you..."”

Eurostars Hacienda Vista Real
Ranked #119 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 4 February 2011

I think you need to really understand what you are looking for before deciding whether this hotel is a place you want to visit.
Those who envisioned it as a luxury resort on a golf course and a spa, obviously have not reached that goal. However, I have not seen the entire place, every room, so my impression may be biased. My room (Imperial 302-1) was a Super Value at Orbitz. Booked for just $72 it was worth at least a couple hundreds dollars if it was at a hotel at a good location. Large room with marble flooring, heavy wooden doors, dome ceiling made of bricks, good linens, and other luxury attributes were a nice surprise. Complementary breakfast could compete with what you may expect at a luxury hotel. But here come some but(s). As some people have mentioned, the place feels empty. There were guests checking in, but there was no activity for them besides the computer with Internet in the lobby that would keep them around after breakfast. Located at the end of a gated residential area, it has no entertainment near by, so you either walk about 15-20 min to Playa del Carmen or ride a taxi for about $5 to get there. The building next to the hotel, the spa, is not functioning for the primary purpose. Some areas in the hotel show a sign of neglect, but they are a bit off sight. So, if you like to get better room for less, like to play golf and have access to the course nearby, do not mind getting out for dinner and seeing some neglectaway from the main path, you should like it. I met someone who has rented a scooter so he and his wife could ride to the beach so that he would not have to carry his kite surfing equipment. He liked the deal as staying on the beach would be too costly. We stayed one night because we arrived one day early due to a coming winter storm at where we live and needed a place to stay. I thought it was a great deal for what we were looking for. Would I stay there for my entire vacation? No – we had a child with us and being away from a beach would be too much of a problem.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank VadimFromArkansas

Reviewed 20 January 2011

The place was amazing, the staff super friendly, nice breakfast, great rooms, parking lot, inside of Playacar. I loved this place, it is not an all inclusive but it is a super nice place where to stay if you're in a tight budget. We actually had a reservation for a tiny little room and they gave us an executive suite, it was amazing!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Camipot
Reviewed 6 January 2011

To start on a positive note. The property is actually quite beautiful and located on a golf course if that is what you are into. The reception area is huge and open air which is what I like. The second room I got (first room I refused to sleep in) had comfortable beds and a nice large patio area.

As an independent backpacker on this trip, I cannot state how bad the location is if you don't have a car. I took a bus from Tulum and they dropped me off at Playacar. With backpack on my back I approached security and they had me walk literally two hours in the wrong direction. I then had to get a taxi to go in the other direction. To walk into Playa del Carmen proper it will take you about 30-40 minutes and I walk at a fast clip even with a major backpack on. This started my experience off on a very poor note. The hotel is actually located at the end of a residential area thus I was passing kids playing outside and neighbors socializing. This is not what I wanted from my stay in Playa del Carmen. The hotel was extremely isolated from anything else thus I had to take taxis back and forth into town at 10us per trip.

Upon checking in the guy tried giving me the room behind the front desk. The room had no windows and smelled of mildew like you would not believe. I refused to stay in the room and almost left without even asking for a refund. When I asked for a different room he said they were filled but that was that a blatant lie as I was on the internet that afternoon and saw they had plenty of rooms. In the end, there may have only been a few people staying at the place while I was there. There were only a couple of cars in the overnight parking which I assumed were the employees cars. The breakfast buffet was great as long as you didn't order eggs from the 'chef'. He mixed up my order two mornings in a row and on the third morning I decided I would just go with the buffet eggs instead of fresh ones. The staff stood around talking and were basically not doing anything with people sitting with empty dishes in front of them or tables with empty dishes where people had left. The breakfast buffet staff were the epitome of what one does not want in a restaurant or in the service industry. The man that checked me in at the front desk who lied to me about them being filled was actually quite accommodating as I was in a very foul mood after having walked so much and finding the hotel was so far in the middle of nowhere. The wifi did not work in the rooms thus one has to go into the lobby. Even the lobby for 2 of the 3 days didn't have it thus you have to use their old desktop.
A very nice property but without people around it was somewhat haunting.

The rooms were decorated in a style I would associated with the a 1950's Las Vegas hotel. Very cheap furniture/furnishings/television. The bathroom was large and very well appointed.

I got the room for 60US per night which i think is worth it only if you have a room with a patio, if you are looking for peace and solitude, you have your own car to get into town, and you are sharing it with someone.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank wanderingtheworld200
Reviewed 14 October 2010

My parents as well as my sis, her hubby and me and my hubby.... all loved this place. It's not a large resort, but it has all the amenities you'll need. The rooms were very spacious and clean and there was a full kitchen for use. The art and decorations and grounds are gorgeous. It feels very authentic. Loved the morning breakfast right beside the pool, which was included. It was buffet style but had a wide selection. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The spa was beautiful too, but could have used a little updating. I really wish we could have stayed longer. It's very quiet, definitely not a party place. I would say it's perfect for a couple that wants a romantic getaway. Don't order pizza from pizza hut... cost over $40 for 2 med size pizza's to be delivered, but we weren't sure what restaurant to trust. There is a small pizza place just a 2 min walk outside the resort that has great food, as well an awesome little mexican restaurant with great quesadillas and a corner store with cheap beer. I have only 2 small complaints... 1) being that at night (and only at night) there seemed to be a bit of a sewage smell in the bathroom and 2) they used to have a shuttle to the beach under old management but do not have that anymore... this would have definitely being a major plus. I would absolutely go back to this place. The walk to the beach is only about 15 min and it's in a gated community with beautiful scenery and people out walking and exercising. Taxi about $5 USD. Only 10 min to walk into the town of playa del carmen. And FYI buy all your booze and groceries right in town at Walmart - about $10 - $12 for a huge bottle of Jose Cuervo. This area (playa del carmen) has so many busy, crowded resorts that we have been too several times... but this place was by far the perfect, quiet, hideaway, gem we were looking for. We will absolutely go back again!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Michiepoo
Reviewed 30 September 2010

The hotel is beautiful,very well designed and maintened.
the crew is very helpful and nice especially lulu the girl at the reception.
we spend 4 nights and loved every minute.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2010

This was my second trip to mexico and my first to playa del carmen. After visiting Playa del Carmen, I am actually pleased that we DID NOT stay in the town on playa del carmen. Small, authentic, quiet and interesting were the descriptions I had heard from most reviews and people I know who had been but this was before it had turned into a tackier, cheesy,dirty downtown cancun.
The hotel was decent, clean and quiet. In fact we were the ONLY PEOPLE STAYING AT THE HOTEL! 4th of july weekend and noone around?? strange...There was also No spa to use which was disappointing.
We upgraded our studio room for another $150 because it was 3 times the size, had 4 balconies and pool/lake/gold course views. I didnt expect to be so far from the beach and I was not even informed of the other vista real hotels and beach clubs until the last day from the taxi driver. Out of the way, 20-25 min walk from town and then a further walk through screaming, annoying locals begging to check out their blankets, jewelry and other crap.
The hotel food was rediculous. No menu and noone to tell you what there is to eat, I asked for french toast or pancakes and was given a basket of stale bread. Our package offered us an american breakfast but that was just a slice of fruit and whatever they felt like making, NO BUFFET...make sure you know before you book this hotel, there is no buffet, no menus and little food to choose from on the lunch menu which is only available for a few hours. There is a cafe right outside of the community on the left that has AWESOME food for a decent price. Nice place to stay but realize, it is not a beach vacation! You will also spend 5 bucks everytime you go in and out of the community on a cab...not much money but 4 times a day for 5 days gets to be a little much.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2010

The rooms are clean and mediterranean architecture is beautiful (but a little bit lacking in charm because it was so well kept) and we found a great deal on hotels.com
Internet sucks: don't expect it to work

I'm very particular about clean sheets, and this hotel was very clean. Just a block away from the main strip, which is nice too.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends