“Surprising find!”

Price range: US$15 - US$40
Cuisines: Asian, Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: "DE FACIL EJECUCION SON LAS COSAS NOCIVAS Y DAÑINAS. LO BUENO Y BENEFICIOSO ES VERDADERAMENTE DIFICIL DE HACER"BUDDHA.Esta gran sabiduria la utilizamos para crear este nuevo gran concepto en Playa del Carmen llamado......GAUTAMA
Reviewed 2 January 2014

After several days of Italian! steak and seafood we were in the mood for some asian food. The green curry was pretty good. although it was a little soupy, the flavor was excellent. The rice was a little crunchy but Not bad. The thai soup was outstanding, as were the Spring rolls. These were the high point of the meal and as good as I have ahead at any Thai restaurant. The menu is an interesting mix of asian fusion, and there is actually a Mexican portion of the me u which we did not try. I would not recommend the fried rice as it is too slaty, but overall this restaurant is quite good, and the waiter, who is originally from Mexico City was superb.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We visited this bar/restaurant 5 times over our two week stay in Playa del Carmen and didn't bother going anywhere else. The staff are friendly, fun and always made us feel welcome. The restaurant has a great atmosphere with comfortable seating. Food was fantastic, the best tacos I've ever eaten - I even got to meet the chef! Drinks were great we had Margaritas, Corona, Mezcal (go easy on this!), Tequila. The staff go to enormous lengths to accommodate you and make you feel at home.

I wish we could have been there for NYE guys!

1  Thank 14zz4
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I ate here 5 times for dinner during a 9 day visit and it was the closest thing in playa to the food I grew up with. the staff and owner are welcoming, humble and were always available to make the best of your experience. the restaurant is tastefully decorated, very cozy and comfortable (seat cushions a plus!) I highly recommend a visit! the back of the restaurant is attached to wayans world selling clothing, handcrafted art, and more along with a fish spa. I've been coming to playa over 3 years and just now discovered my new favorite restaurant. thank you Gautama for your hospitality!

Reviewed 25 August 2013

We had a very nice vegetarian meal here after dashing in from the rain. Spent an age chatting to the waitress - very informative. Food was good - especially for vegetarians and they seemed more than happy to change things as we wished (less spicy, more spicy etc). It's also a good place to chill and dink if you are so inclined and don't necessarily want to eat. I would have no hesitation in recommending this place.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

We visited Gautama on a recommendation from friends and were not disappointed. The Staff go above and beyond and made us feel so welcome. It was a slow night when we popped in for drinks and they sat and spoke to us for a while which would not happen else where. The place is beautifully decorated and they were more than willing to tell us about the background of the varios pieces of art. Cool place make sure you go!