“It doesn't get any better than this”
Review of El Tapas & Company

El Tapas & Company
Ranked #18 of 1,365 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Price range: US$4 - US$15
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Wow everything was wonderful . We tested little of the all menu.
Like the tapas and the paella. The desserts , ho my God!! Tocinito del cielo ! It's out of this world. The owners mom she is secret family recipes !
My respect to owner and is employs. Absolutely wonderfull.
We we'll be back over and over.

1  Thank Tommybueno

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Normally, I give a restaurant two tries before I rate them. But I am sorry, I just cannot go back here!
We ordered around 6 different tapas, and it was absolutely not anything special, especially considering it was very overpriced.
What they named "papas braves" here was basically just ONE cut up fried potato with a tiny bit of tabasco and some sweet mayo.. People who know their Spanish food would be brutally disappointed. And they charged 90 pesos for it!
The rest was just as simple and lacking in flavour and not worth the pesos you pay.
Wine was very bad to.
People rating this must have tried some of their main dishes or be friends, as I do not understand this many high grades. Shocking.
FYI the owner not from Spain.

1  Thank Bobbine
victor b, Propietario at El Tapas & Company, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Thank you for your opinion. I am sorry about your comments. We are from Barcelona and our dishes are traditional ones, and one of our groups of clients are the spanish people and they enjoy their traditional food, as at home.

Perhaps, you do not like the Rioja brand wine, avoid them if you do not like the taste; we can recommend you the Ribiera de Duero or Penedes, o many other choices..

Another point that I can not undertand is from where you took the dish prices, I am sorry but the amount you mentioned is not ours...perhaps is another spanish restaurant.

Please, come back again and share with us your experience in spanish cousine drinking a Ribera de Duero.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Super authentic. Felt like I was in my Spanish grandmother's kitchen (if I had a Spanish grandmother.)

Everything is fresh, cooked to order, so don't expect to get in and out quickly.

Paella takes 45 minutes or more.

Delicious.

2  Thank Ze'ev G
Reviewed 19 September 2013

If you haven't travelled to Spain, then go here and you'll get a big taste of the flavors, culture, and you'll understand why Spanish food is so delicious and wonder why it's so often over looked!

You must have:
SANGRIA- yes order a pitcher, enjoy, you won't be sorry. It's refreshing, fruity, and bubbly, perfect!
1) Tortilla Española. This is a thick potato pancake but you'll love it just as much as your French fries and realize that potatoes can taste even better! They make it perfectly Spanish style here.
2) Croquettas de Jamon: this wonderful treat is made in most Spanish households and when made with jamon (Spanish ham) you get a wonderful taste of traditional jamon and this unique mini egg roll shaped treat.
3) Gazpacho. Unlike that watery cold tomato soup junk you may have had tried once at some generic wanna be Spanish restaurant....this is the real stuff. You get a thicker, almost creamy, version with bold flavors from the toppings. Be sure to dip the bread in the soup as true Spanairds always eat their gazpacho this way.
4) Paella: we had the mixta. I love paella and make it at home with my 2 paella pans and imported Spanish ingredients...so I know paella. I also ate at one the most renowned Madrileño restaurants, known for its paella and believe me this is nearly spot on. In fact I think I enjoyed it more than the most famous one (less greasy). It takes 40 minutes to make, so order it first then pick your appetizers. You'll realize why this is the dish of Spain.
5) Dessert: we ordered the flan-esque dessert with the name cielo or something similar. It was a cross between flan texture and appearance with a taste of creme brûlée, but sweeter. I really liked it since I like both flan and creme brûlée, but it was a little too sweet. So, order if you enjoy this kinds of dessert and love sugary things. It will make you thirsty from the sugar.

Overall, you will love this restaurant. The service was perfect, the food was delicioso. And it's a break from Mexican cuisine without sacrificing quality food, taste, and experience.

1  Thank Kari K
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I've been there last night for dinner and the food is amazing! The waiter was very kind and he suggested me what to eat. I would definitely recommend it!