“A hidden gem!”

Ranked #242 of 1,236 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood, Mexican, Brew Pub, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
“A hidden gem!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We found this place by accident, and it was a pleasant surprise! From the minute you step into the place, they welcome you with a small cold beer, and the rest is even better! The decor and setting pretty unique, along with their really tasty menu.
Friendly hints: if more than 1 person, for sure you should ask for a "caguama" (large bottle of beer), best spot is on the second floor, and don't hesitate to ask for their cool t-shirt, they sell them!

Visited July 2014
Jess P, Community Manager at La Finisima Caguameria de Esquina, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Hi!

Thank you for your comment, we are really happy to know you enjoyed your time with us, we appreciate your visit and thank you for sharing your tips. We really hope to see you again!

Have a nice day!

Toronto, Canada
“Really Kool Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

The atmosphere at the Caguameria is really terrific for all ages. We ate on the roof top which is nice and cool with a great breeze. The servers are fabulous answering questions, making recommendations and making you feel at home. We had the lobster pizza and salad and both were excellent. Fresh and tasty. It's a bit more expensive but it's great to treat yourself once in awhile.

• Visited June 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Great Food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I was here just a couple of days ago and I completely loved the concept. The food was amazing. I had one of their Tortas and their Special of The Day, which was an Aguachile with a twist. I also loved their different sauces. I sat in their terrace patio and loved the it too!!!!

• Visited June 2014
Puerto Rico
“Culinary Gentrification at its Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

The Caguameria brings to life a gentrified mexican “cantina” experience. The combination of the caguama (40 oz beer), local mezcal and creative funky dishes helps one submerge into an off the beaten path Mexican experience.

Even though when we first heard of the caguameria we thought it was a drinks joint. We were very surprised when the waiter started pitching us the fresh dishes right off the bat. Our lunch which was destined to be a couple of beers and a taco ended up becoming an extended 10 pm gathering with a bunch of friends that joined the pack. My girlfriend had the “cruditos”, a fresh sea food platter with sea weed paper to make healthy tacos and I wend for the salmon “chancla”, a salmon pizza with fresh cheese and arugula. The food was amazing!

We understand that the caguama and mezcal have traditionally been beverage tools for an affordable inebriation. At the Caguameria however, we noticed it was plagued by hipsters, models, locals, among others, that are in playa scene but don’t necessarily wish to be seen and ... don’t seem to have a budget.

I highly recommend it.

• Visited May 2014
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“Too expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I was here with my boyfriend and two more friends. if you ask for the Caguama which is the big beer and serves a small glass to four people the price is ok, but besides that the other drinks are way too expensive and the food also.
Playa del Carmen in general is an expensive place, I live here and I know but this place is not that great and the appetizers for example guacamole more than 100 pesos is way too expensive.
my boyfriend had the "mexican pizza" which is ok served but is not a fancy dish in other mexican restaurants and for 195 pesos I think I could have had pizza with lobster!
And that was the meat one the seafood one went over the 200 which I believe is way too much for this kind of food and not amazing.
I had tortas that were good flavor but also the prices went so up since the last time I was there.
so I wouldn't recommend this restaurant because I do think it is expensive and I am not cheap but I think there are better mexican restaurants where I can have guacamole with pork skin for less than 100 something!

• Visited May 2014