“girls get away” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
new jeresy
“girls get away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

Stayed Nov 3-10 My childhood friend and I stayed here and would recommend it. We enjoyed our 8 days...Room : Had an ocean view royal jr. suite(RJO) on the 2nd floor. Nice views and you get a hammock on your balcony. 2 double beds in a really big room...loved the "magic box" for room service and Margarita Sanchez keep our roon spotless. Nice turn down service every night with chocolates. The pool is nice, we laid only 1 day at the pool the rest we spent on the beach. Beach with great and clean, no seaweed or rocks. Beach servers Andrea and Christopher took great care of us with cold drinks. We ate at Spice (David) several times and also Maria Maries which was excellent. We had lunch near the beach 1 day at Pelicanos...good ! The Gran Porto Real is located right next door (for families) and you can use anything at this hotel as well at The Royal. We did eat over there at Marias (Mexican) with Albert and Juan who were wonderful. Also their Italian rest. ll Pescatore..excellent as well. My friend used the spas at both and said the services were great at both but found the workers over at Gran Porto to be a bit more personable. Also the Gran was less expensive and were running specials. We loved the Coffee House in the newest section of The Royal and went for coffee and snacks (included) every day after the beach. 5th Avenue and all its shopping is 1/2 block out the front door. We ate in town at BipBip one evening for margaritas and fajitas and they were so good along with our server Sal. Shooping at the streets are safe and we went over 3 nights. Yes they will all ask you into their stores and try to get your attendtion...Nicely say No Thanks and keep walking. No one bothered us. We didn't do any excursions but we did parasil with the company right on our beach. You can see Cozumel from the beach and there is a ferry not far you can take for a day trip (about 45 min ride). It is a time share hotel but they don't bother you to go, just let them know when you sit with the person after check in that you are not interested. They will offer you beach bags, 4 nite 3 day stay and 600 pesos ...this is all if you take the 90 minute speal tour. All in all it was a very relaxing vacation and we would definitely return here.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank s g

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,002)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
near Hartford, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

My girlfriend and I planned our trip months in advance (booked it through Liberty Travel), and I have never had a vacation as relaxing or wonderful in my entire life! While I have traveled to other countries, this was my first time in Mexico and my first all-inclusive. We arrived in Mexico on October 23, and were supposed to leave Oct 29 but Hurricane Sandy had other ideas and shut down JFK Airport leaving us stranded (in paradise) until Nov. 2! My advice: When The Royal says they want to pamper you, let them! When The Royal says to expect the extraordinary, they deliver! Our time there was pure vacation: the beach, pools, drinks, restaurants, the room, the Spa, the iron sculptures - no work, no worries, the only planning necessary was whether to go to the beach or the pool, whether to go shopping or not, and to decide which restaurant to visit for the next meal. If I wrote it all out, you’d be reading a full-length travel book! But I am most grateful to have been in the hands of the very gracious, caring, and attentive Royal staff. Marco Obbens was our concierge, and when we found out we couldn’t go home as originally scheduled, he understood our concerns and helped us extend our stay (not once but TWICE), and to stay in the same room. Marco made sure we knew where we could find him, and how to get in touch with him. He monitored the situation, helping us to stay calm and relax even when we didn’t know when we would be able to get home. Thank you, Marco! Susan Leicht from Liberty Travel was our other lifesaver, rescuing us from the customer service disaster called AeroMexico (still have not heard whether they will refund our money for the return flight that was cancelled!!) and finding us a flight home on JetBlue. (Lesson learned: DO NOT EVER FLY AEROMEXICO!) Other members of The Royal staff I would also like to mention: Guiliano (Front Desk) for helping with the mechanics of extending our stay, Gabriela (Housekeeping) for her attention to details and the wonderful towel animals, Alonso (Room Service) for his gallant wine deliveries, Melissa (Spa) for the deep-tissue massage, Purde for her cheerful drink deliveries on the beach, Jesus and Danny (entertainment) and the waiters from ALL of the restaurants, in particular: Sergio (Mediterraneo), David and Antonio (Spice) and Julio (Maria Marie’s). I have never vacationed as thoroughly as I did while at The Royal, and do hope I get a chance to vacation there again!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
11 Thank Claudia M
Los Alamitos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

We have been here for three days of a week trip and fully convinced that this is by far the best resort in Playa del Carmen. The location and amenities are outstanding. It's the staff that really makes the difference. Every time you pass or greet a staff member they are smiling and put their hand over their heart as a gesture that they care for you from within. Gorge leads a wonderful stretch and Yoga class. Regina and Edith are goddesses of of Pilates. Arius make Pelicanos restaurant a magical experience. Pedro was a perfect server and gentleman at Chef's Table. We are looking forward to the remainder of our stay eagerly to meet more outstanding staff members. Viva Royal!!!!

Room Tip: It's worth the extra money for an Oceanfront Master Suite!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank johnzahn2
Wilmington, Delaware
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

Having been to Playa for the past seven years, my wife and I always noticed The Royal and alway said we have to try it just once. So this past September we went to Playa for two weeks. One week we stayed at The RUI Palace Rivera Maya and the other week at the Royal. Staying at the RUI was great! (I'll do a review on that hotel also). After staying at the RUI the first week, and having the best of everything. i.e. food, grounds, service, rooms, we were so looking forward to the Royal. I mean, how much better can it get! Well, at check in at the Royal, they gave us a room right next to the construction! Noise, view of plywood walls, we wanted out. We went and complained and asked to be changed, but there would be a $40 per night up charge. The way I figured, the first room should have been discounted $40. So it should have been a wash. Not so.

Room Tip: Always, always ask to see the room first prior to accepting. Walk out and around and check the place...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Ron42955
Lynn D, General Manager at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We are truly sorry to learn that your experience at our beautiful resort was not exceptional as we strive to offer an excellent service and hospitality. It is this commitment to serve and please our guests that has granted us with the privileged preference of many guests that continuously choose our beautiful hotel for their vacations year after year. We sincerely hope to have a second chance to host you so we can erase any negative impressions and provide you with a fantastic and memorable visit to THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

This place is IDEAL for enjoying not only the all-inclusive resort but the shops and restaurants on 5th avenue. You can't beat the location! Prior to walking all around both ends of 5th avenue (the main drag) as well as both ends of the beach, I wasn't going to give this resort a very good ranking. However, as they say in real estate; location, location, location. There is no other all-inclusive that is situated 1 block from 5th avenue and literally in the middle of it. The Royal Playa has the best beach front out of any hotel too. We walked toward 14th street to check out other properties and all along that shoreline there is little room to sit on the beach and hardly anywhere to get into the ocean. We prefer to sit at the beach then by the pool so this was important to us and it was great! They also had servers constantly check on us for drinks throughout the day at the beach!

Some of the things that made our stay just average was mosquitos in our room the entire stay and lots of them. We asked them to take care of this issue and they did add some fragrance to our room so it didn't smell musty anymore, however, the mosquitos never went away. The attention to detail was not very good. We were on our honeymoon and expected even better treatment however, the opposite occurred. We signed up to get a newspaper in our room everyday and we only received it 1 time. Our blow dryer didn't work and we called them 4 times asking if they could bring us a new one. At breakfast one morning no one asked us what we wanted to drink, when I was almost done with my meal, I finally got up and found someone to help me. And, without going into detail, the couple's massage was the worst ever. Save your money on the massage, it was like someone was putting suntan lotion on me and it was very noisy and the music shut off less than halfway through the massage. The food was decent except for one location, Maria Marie was just awful and extremely slow service. Asiana was like going to a bad P.F. Changs. We did like Pelicanos and our favorite was the tapas restaurant. Coming from Chicago, we have high expectations on food and these restaurants are really just average. I was extremely disappointed with the alcoholic beverages, they weren't even average in my opinion, they were just not good. You could tell something was missing or they were using very cheap alcohol. The wine they served at dinner was so bad we didn't drink red wine one night while we were there.

I hate to give this such a poor ranking but overall we just didn't have a good experience. However, as I mentioned in the title, the location is perfect!

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay in the area facing the main pools as people use that location to get to breakfas...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Joy W
Powell, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

We traveled to Royal Playa del Carmen in October 2012. My husband and I travel extensively. This was our favorite vacation to date! The service, the place, the room, the food, the people - everything was simply perfect. We loved our ocean front room. We have made so many wonderful friends while there. The staff work so hard to make this a great experience for everyone! I don't think we could be any happier with our vacation.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Love2TravelfromOH
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your kind comments and for taking the time to share your experience at our beautiful hotel. We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay at THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen and would like to express our sincerest gratitude for recommending us. We are looking forward welcoming you back in a near future!
Yukon, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

My sister & I had a girls vacation here. Want to book it again. The grounds are beautiful. The room is as photos shown and the bar in the room well stocked. The bed was the best bed ever I slept all night every night. Restaurants all were the best. The beach is lovely as we walked the beach both ways and The Royal we thought it was the best the beach loungers are very close as others were much farther. The pools just lovely and a cart with books and sun screen (free) was help your self. Daisy at the pool side alway there ready to take our orders for the drinks The staff is amazing you can't ask for better, ask or need something here them come or the get it and all ways with a smile. We crossed over the street to The Grand Hotel to eat and drink there because it a Real hotel too it was nice but not as nice as the Royal. I hope to book next year trip and stay at the Royal.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sherri M
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review and for taking the time to share your experience at our beautiful resort. We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen and would like to thank you for recommending us. We are looking forward welcoming you back in a very near future.