“Perfect Location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Winfield, Kansas, United States
“Perfect Location”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We just returned from a wonderful vacation at The Royal. Prior to going I was concerned about all of the sickness people were reporting. We were all fine and we never came across anyone who was sick. We ate and drank everything including the buffet and fresh fruit. All of the water comes from bottles even if it's in a glass. Of course we used common sense and washed our hands and/or used sanitizer. One in our group got traveler's diarrhea but that is to be expected. Don't change your resort or you will regret it!

Food: Asiana, Coffee House, Spice and Maria Maria were great. The omelets at Spice are to die for...with fresh pico on top Yum! The tacos by Tapas were excellent as well. Mediterranean and room service were average. The room service runs on Mexican time so don't expect for it to be prompt. We are not ones who go and expect the food to exceed our standards, but rather be satisfying. There are enough places to eat that you will be fine.

Room: Perfect. The bed and pillows are AMAZING and also the shower! A lot of pressure which is a requirement for me as I have long hair. We had suite 233 which is in the middle of the resort. A small ocean view but not hammock on the balcony.

Location: The location is the reason we chose this resort and it did not disappoint. One block from 5th avenue where all of the shops and bars are. We always felt safe and didn't have any concerns walking around. This is a huge resort so there are lots of places to eat and have fun without ever leaving however I recommend venturing out!

Nightlife and Bars: No shortage of either. The nightly shows are very entertaining with very talented performers. The lobby bar is always happening at night and Armando was our favorite bartender. He rocks!

Pool: Always a chair game but otherwise was very nice. The waitresses around the pool take a long time to bring drinks back around but I think it's due to the proportion of waitress::customer.

I had an overpriced massage but it was good. Nice and relaxing but nothing extravagant.

We would return to this resort as it had a lot of nice touches. All of the staff were friendly and the place is very clean. The housekeepers do a fabulous job and the towel animals are always a happy surprise when you return to your room.

Hope you enjoy your vacation!

Room Tip: Stay in the main circle area. We had suite #233 (RJS) bottom level and it was great, I wouldn't...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Brandy C
Lynn D, Manager at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Resort. Thank you for your kind words about the resort facilities, we are very happy that you enjoyed all these.
It will an honor to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,242)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Great job all over ! Wedding coordinator Denys Magana was very accommodating and pleasant .....Only recommendation is a quick walk through before ceremony....but highly recommend! Great weather, beautiful hotel, and great service. Would definitely go back for an anniversary

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Erica L
Dear Guest,
Our top priority is to make a dreamed vacation for each of our guest and we are very grateful that this was your case. We feel really pleased that you enjoyed your memorable day (your wedding)
Thank you again and it will be our honor to have you back with us in your anniversary!
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Just returned; stayed 5/31-6/7/13. In spite of torrential rain the majority of the stay we enjoyed the resort. Check in was chaotic but eventually sorted out. We stayed on the first floor which was great for pool access but VERY noisy in terms of chairs, etc. scraping against the floors above us.
PROS: VERY attentive staff; friendly and most helpful in all areas of customer service. Close to town if you are in to walking and experiencing 5th Avenue. Cleaning staff very thorough.
CONS: The food overall is OK. Our best dining experience was at Maria Marie's. House wine, if you are a wine drinker, leaves a lot to be desired and if you are interested in purchasing off the wine list it is extremely overprice. The evening shows were alright but nothing spectacular. There is not disco/club on the property which was disappointing, especially for the two 20 year olds with us on the trip.
Overall I would rate this resort a 3 out of 5 stars.
I stayed at The Royal in Cancun a few years ago and found it to be of a higher standard all around in comparison to this one.

Room Tip: Choose top floors for less noise and better views Ist floor rooms are great if you want direct acce...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank crisvabeach
Dear Guest,
We really appreciate this review. We are truly sorry to read that you did not experience our remarkable service and hospitality, on behalf of all of the staff at THE ROYAL Playa I would like to express my sincere apology if our service did not fulfill your expectations; as we are deeply committed to assist our guests at all times and provide them with an exceptional service be sure we will sharing your comments with our staff in order to improve and take actions to give an exceptional service.
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed from the 23rd May for two weeks here it was absolutely fantastic. Having received word from Thomas Cook about the construction work next door we felt put off from going to this hotel. And then to read all the reports on Tripadvisor about the bug going around ,really put us off again. So expecting the worst we found out this was the BEST HOTEL we have stayed in ,in Mexico. The staff are excellent the food is wonderful and the restaurants are out off this world. We have enjoyed our two weeks holiday here we cant wait to go back again. We would like to mention some of the staff who made this a most memorable holiday for us ,Leo , Aguilla Pool Geronimo in the Spice restaurant ,Maggy and Lopez on the beach and Mary in the lobby bar area, and all the other great staff we came in contact with. We stayed in room 143, but next time will stay in a higher room over looking the pool. Thanks again to all your staff working for you at the Royal, they are a credit to you. Alan [George] and Margaret Bretherton.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank George Alan B
Winthrop, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I was at the Royal in April for a wedding we had a 62 person wedding party and was stunning. Beautiful pools, beach, rooms; but the most important thing I look for in a hotel is service.

The service at The Royal is beyond 5 stars. The entertainment crew is the lynch pin that keeps this place moving at all times.

I want to thank, with all my heart, the wonderful service, care, attention, enthusiasm and overall care they show to make sure you are having a good time. A GREAT time was had.

I'd like to thank some people if I may, and if you read this, and you're on the fence as to where to stay in Playa del Carmen; I hope it sways your possible indecision to absolutely make The Royle your destination.

Jaime... I would have burned to a crisp
Celia, Prude, Elizabeth, Eva, Ruth, Mich and Andrea- thanks for always keeping my glass full

Sports & Entertainment:
DANNY BOY, AZU, KATIE, you are Awesome!! I spent a lot of time talking with you all and Katie thanks for making me a few extra bracelets. you're wonderful.... Azu, my little Australian, you're a doll, and Danny, you crack me up.

Others who were equally as wonderful:
Alex, Victor, Carlos, Jesus Armando and Meyer!

We'll be back next year and I hope you will all be there with a Funky Monkey waiting.... xoxox :)

Diane

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Diane K
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 10 June 2013

This was our first trip alone without our kids, and it was simply amazing. Booked through a travel agent with group rates, to attend a beach wedding; was a little pricey for an ocean view room, but made up for it in beauty. Shuttle ride from Cancun was good and didn't take too long. Drove up to a beautiful place and greeted with champagne and towels. Check in was easy, no issues. Butler took us to our room, all while explaining all the amenities. Room was just as advertised but even more beautiful in reality. We had a wonderful view, with a balcony. Clean room, comfy Huge bed, clean luxurious bathroom, chocolates on the pillows and a bottle of wine awaiting us. All inclusive was excellent, delicious food, great service, buffet style as well as cuisine, and an endless amount of drinks to choose from. The beach was simply amazing, and the scenery was indescribable! We had full access to the hotel across the street also. Could walk right outside hotel to main shopping strip and food vendors. Very safe. Right on the beach. All the luxury and amenities were just as advertised.
We attended the wedding on the beach, and I must say it was truly perfect!
Some complaints would be....the dirtiness of the jacuzzi in our room, we weren't able to use it; also, make sure you don't get caught up in the timeshare stuff; also did have a problem with our door lock and were left out of room until maintenance could come to replace the whole door lock, but was fixed fairly easily; one last thing we were bothered by was the lack of privacy because there was always someone coming to check or clean our rooms, and they knocked but just walked in. But these were very minimal things that we did not allow to ruin such an amazing time!
Definitely recommend with 5 stars.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Val M
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your recent visit and for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. Please rest assured that we will share your valuable feedback with our team for our improvement and in order to achieve our guest’s entire satisfaction. We sincerely hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience.
Warner Robins, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 10 June 2013

THE ROYAL was the best hotel I have ever stayed. They stood up to their name, ROYAL. They gave me the Royal treatment. Everyone was so nice and helpful. I want to take this time to particularly thank the following who made my stay the most enjoyable. Ana De Anzoleva for meeting and making the reservations for us at the various restaurants. She made us feel very special. She was there to make certain we did not have any problems. Secondly, I would like to commend Aida Canto who was an excellent waitress (in training) at the Spice Restaurant. She was very helpful and polite. I feel that she will make an excellent waitress. Thirdly, I would like to commend our waiters at the Spice Restaurant: Javier, Abraham, and Jeronimo. They were professional, curious, and quick. They made certain that we received the ROYAL treatment while dining at the Spice Restaurant. I can not remember the waiter at the Mediterranean Restaurant, but he was very nice too. He brought the food in a timely manner. He was very professional, polite, and quick (forgive me for not remembering his name). If I had a restaurant, I would love for all of them to work there.

I would also, like to thank my concierge, room service personnel, bells men, and the young lady who took care of cleaning the room. She took the time to place decorative towel animals on the beds after she cleaned. (Once again, I am sorry, I cannot remember her name).

They all made my stay at THE ROYAL one that I would never forget. If I were to return to Mexico in the future, I would love to stay at THE ROYAL PLAYA del CARMEN again. A great place and nice people.

Room Tip: I was extremely pleased with my room and its location.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mozell S
Dear Guest,

On behalf of THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen staff and myself we want to take this opportunity to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for such a positive review. We will make sure to tell all our staff members that you have mentioned what a great job they are doing and to keep up the good work!