“Exceptional”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #12 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We just got back from a 4 night vacation at the Royal in Playa Del Carmen in Mexico. We were treated like kings and queens. All inclusive, everything and more. Service was exceptional. The staff was so courteous and respectful. Hotel grounds, rooms, beach, beautiful. Food delicious! Every night, a fabulous show to enjoy, fifth avenue close by with lots of shopping.Next time we go, it will be for a week or more. It doesn't get better than this. Enjoy!

Room Tip: I would recommend jr suite with partial ocean or pool view but really anywhere, even looking over th...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (17,053)

Reviewed 21 January 2014

My husband and I got married on the beach at the Royal in Playa del Carmen on 11/12/13. The resort is a beautiful place that has many wonderful romantic spots. The main pool is a great place but its the type where you have to wake up early and claim your chair for the day. It is located ideally with the city right outside the doorsteps of the hotel. We had only one bad experience, that is the construction zone of the swim up suites. It seems they are building a new resort there and it is terribly noisy starting at about 7:30-8 AM. Lilianna was great, our wedding coordinator and Jaycen (spell) the main pool bartender was fabulous. Have him make you a lime colada with cuban rum-yummmy. As part of our wedding package we had dinner in our room- it was wildly romantic!!!!! Because there are so many places in the world we rarely visit the same place twice, we may have to come back here. It is a great value for the money.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Went to The Royal Playa del Carmen for a friend's wedding January 9-13. I'll break my review into a few different categories:
Travel: All flights and transfers were on time. The trip from the airport to the hotel was approx. one hour.
Check in: Simple and no mention of time shares. As expected we were not able to get into our room until 3pm, but were encourage to get something to eat/drink until that time.
Rooms: We asked for and received a room with 2 beds. We were tucked into the building furthest from the beach which was a negative but the building where our room was housed the coffee shop, a bar, a lap pool and a restaurant. I found it to be a pretty good trade off for the distance from the beach. We were within view of the construction but were not bothered by it at all. The room layout was a little cramped because of the 2 beds but it was still comfortable. The fridge and snacks were always stocked.
Food/Drink: They were great and among the best food I've had at a variety of all inclusive results. I didn't try the buffet and didn't have to since there were always options available to us and found everything to be very delicious. While Pelicanos provided a great beach front setting, I was most impressed by Mediterranean and the outstanding service provided there, especially from Paco and the amazing chefs. I preferred to order off of the menu, and when seeking great Mexican food, Paco and the chefs made special tacos and enchiladas. Paco truly did everything he could to get us what we wanted and make us happy..
Pool/Beach: I'm more of a pool person, but the beach was beautiful. Sand was soft, and water was clear and warm. The pools were kind of cold but nothing you couldn't get used to. The main pool was the warmest. I also have to highlight Ari, the poolside waitress. She was awesome and always there to make sure you were having a great time.
Other: Entertainment was entertaining. 5th Avenue shopping was a nice supplement to a great resort.

9  Thank MMGSDAD
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We just got back 3 days ago from a week at The Royal Playa del Carmen in Mexico. We traveled with 5 other couples, and from our initial arrival through our departure back to the airport we were each treated like Kings & Queens.

This was my wife & my first visit to Mexico, and first stay at an all-inclusive. We had received many recommendations regarding the Royal from family members and friends, so we had very high expectations going in, and we were never disappointed.

The service was outstanding!!! EVERY employee greets each employee with Hola (hello) and puts hand on heart to show sincere welcome. It really made us feel welcomed.

We booked an ocean view Jr. Suite. This gave us the opportunity to check in and pick our room on-line within 48 hours of our arrival. We saw this as a very nice perk. We were able to book our room which was on the 3rd floor and overlooked the main pool (room 399). We were very happy with our room The room was very nice. King bed, with hot tub. Maid service was excellent. Each day we were greeted with "towel animals" as well as "creative decorations" made out of rose petals.

I only had two complaints about the resort. The first being the wireless internet is terrible. I realize I am on vacation, so maybe poor internet is a good thing. Wasn't certain if caused by all the concrete in the buildings or just a poorly designed/operating wireless network. I found the front lobby (if not many people were in it) and the 24 hr. lounge had the best internet service. My 2nd complaint was how people could reserve chairs by the pool by simply leaving a towel on them. I wish the Royal would adopt "pool policy" similar to some of the cruise lines (like Royal Caribbean) whereas unoccupied chairs/towels left more than 2 hrs. were collected so that others can use the chairs. Many times there were dozens of "prime chairs" by the pool that went unoccupied because the people were still sleeping in bed. I will admit, however, that once we learned "chair squatting with towls was legal", we did set our alarm early (before 6am) so that we could reserve enough chairs for our group of 12. So in the end we were part of the problem as well.

The food in the restaurant was excellent. Our favorite restaurant was Asiana and Maria Marie. Reservations are really not taken (except for Chef's Plate) so we usually didn't have a problem getting into the restaurants as long was we ate prior to 7PM. Since we had such a large group of 12 people, we usually had to get 2 tables of 6, which worked out fine. We also liked Spice for breakfast and lunch. The "omelette bar" was excellent in the morning. One of my favorites. Pelicano's by the pool was excellent for "light hor derves". We also ate two meals at the sister resort (Italian & Mexican restaurants).

The evening entertainment was very good. Our favorite was the Monday evening show which include dance and acrobatics. It was a fun way to wind down the evening.

There are plenty of bars for your "cold beverages". The waiter staff is excellent. Especially by the pools, on the beach, and at the shows. Reward them for giving excellent service by tipping them when you receive excellent service.

The ladies all spent an afternoon in the spa. They really enjoyed it. My wife was "pampered" by Isabel, who did a wonderful job. Such a nice lady and such a high level of service. My wife was extremely impressed.

The location of the Royal is excellent, with 5th Ave. a very close walk from the hotel. We felt very safe walking outside the resort. We even went to Coco Bongo night club one evening (opens at 11PM and show goes until 3:30am). We felt very safe walking back to our hotel after the show ended. Excellent Show!!! We would recommend that people try it.

Overall, we really enjoyed our trip to the Royal. We had the chance to meet a lot of people from many parts of the world (Australia, Russia, UK, Scottland, Canada, Argentina, Italy). We especially enjoyed meeting and spending the week with Lynn & Ryan from Edmonton, Canada.

The service was outstanding, and it was a great place to be with a large group of friends. The staff was very accomodating to our large group. We were frequently "representing/participating" in many of the pool activites, outdoor volleyball games, dance activities that took part. It was a lot of fun. We plan to make another visit to the Royal in the next couple of years. Thanks for a great vacation and wonderful stay at the Royal. We will be back soon.

Room Tip: 1) I recommend booking an Ocean view Jr. Suite room (or higher). This allows you to "check in...
4  Thank Millem365
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I wanted to like this hotel more than I did. It was my first time at an all-inclusive, and it's just not my style. The room was fine (although a little ornate for my taste), the beach was beautiful, the weather was perfect, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. If you like all-inclusives, you should love this one. But here's what I don't like about them. First, I hated wearing the plastic bracelet all week. It made me feel like a kid at camp, or worse, a patient in a hospital. Second, the food, although plentiful, was mediocre. The French food tasted like the Italian food which tasted like the Mexican food--nothing was made for an adventurous eater. They kept telling us that this was a five-star, four-diamond resort, but you couldn't get a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice to save your soul; their orange juice tasted like it was powdered and reconstituted. Third, you should be aware that there will be a constant push to sign up for a time share. I kept saying no, but finally weakened and agreed to hear a presentation. It was so hard-sell that I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get out of the room without signing a contract, but I finally walked out, two hours later. Finally, I disliked the signature hand-over-the-heart greeting, which apparently means "service with love." It seemed phony and obsequious to me, and I kept feeling sorry for the people who had to bow at me. Still, it does make for a worry-free vacation, and if my objections wouldn't bother you, this is probably one of the best all-inclusives in a beautiful area.

Room Tip: We paid extra for an "ocean view" room--definitely not worth it. You could only see the o...
6  Thank poindextermn
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We went on Dec 29, 2014 for 7 nights, this trip cost us $5500.00 CAD. We wanted to spend New Year's in the south and have a big party. There is another resort being built right NEXT DOOR about 3 feet in between resorts. We told the person checking us in that we did NOT want to be anywhere near the construction, he guaranteed me I was 2 buildings away. It was night when I checked in ( 10 PM ), when I woke up in the morning to hammering I nearly had a fit. The construction was 10 feet outside my door, soooo he told me a BOLD face lie. I also asked for a NON smoking room they put us in a smoking room. If that is not bad enough when you go down to the beach ALL of the cabana's are reserved for their PREVILIGED guests. There are NO umbrella's at all so you can not even get out of the sun at all. I think for the amount of money we paid we should had at least the use of an umbrella. When I went to the front desk I got the Manager Johathan and he could care less, when I told him I would not be returning all he said was ok. So if you don't mind having everything that you did NOT ask for PLEASE go to this resort. If you would like to be treated like a customer please don't go to this resort. The maids, waiters & waitresses all work their butts off but Management was LAZY....

Room Tip: INSIST that you are NOT near the construction
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Freda O
Reviewed 19 January 2014

All I can say is WOW!!!! My husband and I loved this resort. This is our 9th visit to the Playa Del Carmen area. We have always stayed at All Inclusives. We always had a good time at them, but there was always a lacking of quality in some things like the food and service.

So this year we decided to spend a little more money and go for it. Now we can NEVER go back. It's like flying coach then upgrading to First Class. First the location is the best. 1 block from 5th Ave. You can walk anywhere. No taxi fees.

The beach is very nice. A little crowded, but water is great. You also can walk to to beach at the sister property and hang there and drink too. They have a great little bar with swings as seats. Had a lot of fun there. Their beach is not as nice, still has a little hurricane damage. One tip, DO NOT walk south on the beach. I don't know why, but about a half mile down, those beaches smelt like fart in a can. HORRIBLE!!!!!! We actually had to turn around and walk back. We tried to walk down there again, thinking it was just a one time thing. No, it was worse. Walk in the direction of down town ONLY.

We upgraded to the Master Suite when we arrived and it was so worth it. Top shelf liquor. (Grey Goose, Black Label, etc.) Extra soft bed and linens, and the shower, AMAZING. Huge with 2 different shower heads, and steam option. The jacuzzi in the room was so nice. Fit both my husband and I and we are very tall people. The maid left us a note pad for any special requests. Those were delivered that day. She was great.

The restaurants are ALL amazing and the service better than excellent, all the time. With the master suite you can also eat at the Chefs Plate. There is a surcharge to eat there, but not with the Master Suites. What is also nice, you can eat at ANY restaurant at ANY time. No restrictions. At other All Inclusive resorts, we were restricted to only a few days in the specialty restaurants and suck it up in the buffets the other days. Not at the Royal.

I can't say enough great things about the restaurants there. There were so many to choose from, we were never bored with them. I paid a little extra for lobster one night, it was the best lobster I ever had. They also have a little coffee restaurant in the area where all the Master Suites are located. It's like a little Starbucks, with pastries, muffins, deserts. It was great in the mornings after my work outs.

And if yo like to work out, let me tell you their gym was WONDERFUL!!!!!! They had a Pilates Studio and a Spin Studio and no extra charge. Just sign up for the classes early. The gym had a nice variety of cardio machines and weights too.

I can go on forever about how wonderful this resort is. It is very romantic. This was our 20 year anniversary gift for ourselves, and we are glowing upon our return to the real world. If you are getting married, they had some beautiful weddings set up. This is a great place for adults and couples.

If anyone has any questions, I will be happy to let you know.

Room Tip: If you are thinking of upgrading, do it at check-in. (if not a busy season) You will get a better ra...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple