I would say that our first two days at the resort wasn't all great -- the rooms we booked was all wrong. We wanted an ocean view with a King size bed. We got a garden view and two double beds. It took so much effort to get this fixed. We were moved to a different room with the right size bed but we were right where the construction was. We could not believe they would book rooms on that side of the hotel considering the proximity of the construction site to the front doors of the suites. Based on our measurement, it was literally about twenty feet away - from the scaffold to our front door! It was that close. The noise was unbearable. They started their job at about 7 am -- totally not what I wanted my vacation to be. The noise became primary when the dust became uncontrollable as my husband and I have sever allergies. We brought this up to the front desk manager, Carlos, and although he seemed interested in resolving the issue, we felt that he wasn't very aggressive in finding a solution. He mentioned that there are virtually no rooms available until Sunday (we arrived Thursday and we leave the following Tuesday). After that initial meeting, we were approached by some folks who told us that there are rooms available and that we just need to push harder with the manager. This was extremely frustrating! At the very least, we had hoped that we would be compensated through comping our spa services. Carlos said it can't be done and the most he can only cover for one of the services. I explained to him that with all the inconvenience we went through, comping our spa services is the very LEAST the hotel can do. After MUCH complaining, he agreed and gave it to us. Perhaps coming from the states, we had gotten used to great customer satisfaction, so this was an adjustment for us. Nonetheless, we couldn't be moved to a better room until Friday afternoon. The third room was a better location, but back to two double beds. We dealt with it. We were later moved to an even better location (facing the pools) with a king size bed. We were happy then.
I agree with the previous reviewer about the early morning phone calls - it was really bad. If you want your guest to have a good impression, LET THEM SLEEP! Bed were okay in terms of comfort, but hard on our backs, but we feet that might have a lot to do with us being used to a Tempur-pedic mattress.
The location is okay - a bit of a drive from the airport. This part was annoying, but it is what it is.
The customer service at this hotel is definitely FANTASTIC! They truly look after you and always making sure you have everything you need. Our housekeeping staff, especially in the last room we occupied were great! We would always come back to our room with some cute towel-made animals! They were adorable. Also, when we moved to the last room, the housekeeping staff (there were three of them) cleaned the room thoroughly. Seems like the previous guests trashed the room pretty bad! There were chips on the floor and they were doing some repairs as well. We hung out a bit in the balcony so we saw how well they cleaned every single nook and cranny of the room. We really appreciated how hard they worked! Our housekeeper, Coindelaria was really great -- always making sure we have the right aromatherapy scent, new sheets, and absolutely clean surroundings. We loved coming back to our room at the end of each day.
We also ate at Chef's Plate three times! The food was sublime - almost out of this world! Your taste buds will be in for a treat if you eat here. They adhere to strict reservation time and dress code so make suer you follow accordingly. They were also extremely conscious of my food allergies which I appreciated a great deal! The service, food quality, and presentation were all 10 out of 10! We hope to come back to eat here again soon!
The room service (we ordered about three times or so) we got after 10 p.m. were great also. The food were all delicious and delivered timely. The staff who delivered each time were very courteous and professional!
My husband and I also had massages done (two days in a row - first day was comp'ed). We loved it a lot! Lavina and Yessica were our therapists and I'll tell you, they have amazing talents! They really relaxed us and got rid of knots and tension in our backs. The second day we had Yessica and Evelyn - consistently amazing throughout. They were great and worked through the entire 50 minutes. The facility was super clean and ran very well. Everyone was there to help and made sure things were done correctly.
All in all we had an amazing experience! We enjoyed our stay and will surely return here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Along the powdery white sands of the Caribbean, The Royal welcomes guests to a world of all-inclusive luxuries exclusively for adults. Situated on the Riviera Maya just steps from Playa del Carmen's famous Fifth Avenue, the AAA Four-Diamond resort boasts all-suite accommodations with private balconies and spectacular views, plus special options such as swim-up suites and beachfront walkouts. From beach butlers to romance concierges, the attentive staff provides genuine hospitality at every turn as guests enjoy the luxurious spa, exquisite cuisine, natural beauty, and many other delights of The Royal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelbag, Expedia, Prestigia, Agoda, Holiday Gems, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your The Royal Playa del Carmen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Porto Real
- Royal Playa De Carmen
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Mexico/Riviera Maya