“Wedding at Royal”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Glen Carbon, Illinois
“Wedding at Royal”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed at The Royal 1/2-1/12 and had our wedding on 1/4. It was amazing! We love the resort and couldn't of asked for a better experience. We have stayed at other resorts in Riveria Maya and this one was perfect for our bunch that joined us for the wedding. The 5th avenue shopping was across the street. Staff was phenomenal! We planned our wedding to be on the beach but it was raining and our wedding specialist, Lilia, was able to move it to the gazebo on short notice. It was the wedding I always dreamed of. Great entertainment every night! Food was top notch and especially the desserts! I would totally go back!

Room Tip: We were there for 10 days, our honeymoon and stayed in the Swim-up Beach-front Walk-out room. It wa...
3 Thank Michelle Z

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,058)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Houston, TX
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We were at the hotel from January 25 - January 29. We had an absolutely fabulous time! From the room to the food to the drinks - none better!! The warm feeling that you get when you enter the resort stays with you the whole time. And the staff!! OMG!! The pool staff (and I cannot remember all of their names) is first rate!! The water aerobics were SO much fun! The service was simply phenomenal. The staff bent over backwards at every turn. Don't hesitate! GO!!!!!!!!!!

1 Thank LBlowers48
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This hotel has the nicest people , cleanest property , and the greatest food . If you go here go to the Pelicano restaurant on the beach and ask for Jose one of the managers he is the nicest guy on the resort and he will go well out of his way for you

Room Tip: Doesn't matter what room you get they are all nice
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I have travelled with my husband and my daughter to the Royal Hotel at Playa del Carmen at the beginning of January. It was one of the best holidays we have ever gone to. I would recommend this place to all of my friends who is planning to visit Mexico. Especially if you are going to Mexico for the first time, Playa del Carmen city and The Royal Hotel itself will make you fall in love with the entire country. The Royal was the best resort we have ever stayed at. The hotel is very stunning, located close to the town centre (5th avenue) which is convenient for shopping. The Royal has plenty of restaurants, the service and food was excellent! Big thanks to Yolanda and other people at the front door in Spicy restaurant, they are always super welcoming! It is very clean and beautiful. The hotel staff is soo respectful and helpful! The room service was excellent so were the maids.
I would like to thank every single person from the animation team: Victor, Oskar, Pepe, Juan, Alejandro, Katie, Moshe, Danny, Dunia and Jamie for making our holiday so much fun every day from morning till evening. They do amazing and very entertaining activities. We loved water aerobics, various crazy games, DANCE CLASSES, volleyball, bike tours and so many other activities. All of the animation staff are well trained, so welcoming and friendly; they honestly do a fantastic job. Our stay would be so great without such a great team!! All the bar tenders are truly lovely as well.
Dancing team is brilliant as well: Paty, Sheila, Iris, Paco, Ricardo, Javier, tonatihu, Gabriel. We enjoyed every show they performed in the evening.
The Royal exceeded all our expectations!!! We are looking forward to coming back again. A big thank to everyone at THE ROYAL HOTEL for making my family stay so SPECIAL.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Yulia P
Winnipeg
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed at the Royal from the 22nd to the 24th of Jan 2014. We had a very nice time, checkin was great staff were amazing and courteous. Food was fantastic, service was excellent! But 2 things really ruined our experience for this hotel.

#1) the pool heater was broken so no one wanted to go in the pool. I was the only one in the swim up bar area and I could only stay in for about 30 mins, before my lips started turning blue. (I'm from Winnipeg aka Winterpeg and I can handle cold, trust me, but this pool was like ice).

#2) We upgraded from a beautiful ocean view at the Gran Caribe in Cancun, paid extra to transfer to this hotel, only to be placed in a beautiful room right next to the hotel being built next door……Construction started at 6am sharp and continued till 8pm at night, constant hammering and banging and yelling all day long. Not once could we sleep in or go back to the room for a nap. I was and still am upset with our choice to switch hotels. The construction totally turned me off from this hotel.

If the construction was non existentent I would really recommend this hotel, but I really can't. Once the hotel next door is completed I would reconsider returning, but for now, no way!

Aside from those issues we did actually have a nice time. We went on the daily bike ride and saw a bit of playa. We Went to COCO bongos one night and had a blast (the entertainment staff will take you out on certain nights), we also went shopping on 5th Ave, which was also fun.

The hotel is in a great location, walking distance from everywhere. Another thing I noticed, there were a lot of older people, not my cup of tea! We are in our 30's and just didn't find the crowd to be "our style". I realize that it is an Adults only resort but it was mostly seniors.

Some advice to the Royal…..Don't put people in the "construction wing", it really upsets travellers. We pay thousands of dollars to get away, and we don't want to hear jack hammers all day long!!! You could avoid all your complaints by just leaving this section empty…..Complaints hurt business!

Room Tip: Move or transfer hotels if you get put near construction. It will ruin your trip and mood if you don...
3 Thank Gerard T
Larimore, North Dakota
Reviewed 3 February 2014

One of the best experiences we have had to date! The rooms were wonderful with a great view of the ocean and the pool and our own Jacuzzi!!!! The food is out of this world and if you wanted something that wasn't there it could be requested and they brought it out with a smile on their faces. The pool gals were always right there (Elizabeth and Prudence were exceptional) with some of the best drinks we've had!! Ross and Lucy gave the best relaxation massages we have every had and made the whole process one to remember! From sunning at the pool, romping in the ocean, playing cards in the evening out under the moon light, watching one of the nightly shows, or strolling down 5th avenue to get a great deal, we were kept occupied to the extent that we wanted to be!!!! We will be back!

Room Tip: There is a room for all types of travelers! Over looking the pool or a bit quieter over seeing the...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 February 2014

This was my first trip to Mexico and my first time staying at an All Inclusive. I have been on two cruises, and so that was roughly where my expectations were prior to arriving at The Royal Play del Carmen.

My husband and I really enjoyed our vacation here! We decided that the food was well above the quality of a cruise!! I was impressed with Spice at breakfast. Chef's Plate was OK, but there were other places I would rather eat at. If you are at a restaurant and don't want to pay extra for the wine on the wine list, just ask for the included wine (or house wine). We experienced great service all the time! The resort could do with a few more beach waiters on good weather days, but if you're really thirsty its not like the bar is too far for you to get something yourself. Room service was OK. Everything I read said that all room service would be delivered to the "magic box" and the light would be turned on. The first time the guy knocked. The second time they put the food in the box, didn't turn the light on, and then called us to let us know it was there. Weird, but no harm. The Wireless is great, even on the beach. My husband had a little trouble once with his phone, but he just disconnect and reconnect and it was fine. He thought it might be because we were moving between the wireless access points.

My main worry about going to an all-inclusive was that, like the cruises I have been on, there would be no spot to sit by the pool or by the beach unless you got up at 6am and put out a towel. Luckily that was not the case! You can always find a place to sit and relax!! You might not be on the chairs in the pool if you don't get up at 6am, but personally I would rather be on the beach! It never felt crowded, which I was also worried about since all the rooms of our type were booked when I tried to do the Early Check-In thing. I'm sure that that wouldn't be the case if we had gone over the college kids' J-term or Spring Break.

Prior to leaving on my trip, I read several reviews on TripAdvisor to scour for any good tips. Several people mentioned the construction going on near the resort, but I wasn't 100% sure where it was. I have hand-drawn a layout of the resort and attached it to this review. I have also marked 6 locations on the picture which I will make short comments on below. It might be helpful to use a search engine and look up 'royal playa del carmen map' to aid in reading my hand drawn picture.

1. Lobby - Great area to hangout if it is raining or windy, but still be outside. Be aware that the people dressed in White are the "timeshare" people. The "welcome package" includes a push to go to a breakfast to hear about their program. Different people offer different gifts. The first lady offered $80 and a 4 night stay (non-inclusive). The next guy offered a 6 night stay non-inclusive but no money. I was tempted to go back and see if I could get enough for a couples massage, but decided not to.
2. New Section of the Resort - This area was always quiet when we were there. If you can't find a chair in the pool at the main pool, this is always an option. However, because of the new resort going in next door, you are basically boxed in. I'm not even sure if the rooms on the top floor are ocean view any more.
3. Uxmal Area - This is the area of the resort that does not have a pool other then the Scuba pool. This area is also extremely quiet. The private swim up pools were usually vacant, so if you reserve one of those rooms, you probably wont be bothered by neighbors.
4. Main Pool Closest to the Beach - This pool has the volleyball net setup. Games can get sort of noisy, but I found that they tend to start around 11am or noon and not go past 4pm when the sun went behind the resort. That 4pm time will obviously change as the days get longer. The rooms near this pool don't need to worry unless you wanted to take lots of naps in your room (Our room was here).
5. Main Pool - This area is where the resort will hold games and activities. Sometimes these involve loud music or loud people. They also tend to be between 12pm and 3pm, so again, only really a concern if you plan on spending the middle of the day in your room.
6. Asiana - You have to exit the Lobby to get to Asiana. Not a big deal, but wanted to mention it since the official map does a poor job of showing this.

Not sure if that helped any, but it would have helped me. One last tip, even if you don't have the early check-in for your Suite, if you have a location you don't want to be or do want to be, let them know ahead of time. I wrote ahead of time to ask where the construction was. The resort pre-assigned me to a room that was as far away from the construction as possible. That was perfect since as I said before I was unable to switch rooms when I did the Early Check-in since all the other rooms were booked. Although, the whole time we were at the resort, I only heard some hammering one night while reading on our balcony around 5pm. They may have finished the jackhammering that other reviewers had commented on.

Room Tip: Take a look at my attached drawing. Be aware of the resorts on either side, as well as pools. Call o...
7 Thank Alicia M