“TOP OF THE LINE!”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #10 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We had a wonderful time. Great service, friendly helpful staff and excellent dining & drinks. Really a top of the line resort. We also loved being in the center of downtown Playa as we were able to walk around each afternoon and see the shops.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (17,067)

Reviewed 25 February 2014

This truly was the most wonderful experience I've had at an all inclusive resort! The customer service (in all areas), accommodations, and food were superb! Victor and Oskar (entertainment) were incredibly fun and welcoming. Canto (bar management) was attentive and kept our room stocked at all times! Vi was quick with service by the pool every day we were there! Even the exercise classes had top not instructors (Regina and Evette) for pilates reformer and spinning. Our rooms were always clean, and the resort was well kept and full of things to do! I highly recommend this resort for your next vacation. I felt like a queen!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We have been to the Royal 6 times over the past 5 years and have found the amenities and service to be excellent. Restaurants and drinks are first class. The Royal's proximity to Playa's 5th Street is a definite bonus.

Room Tip: Avoid new construction area of the adjoining property for the 2014 season.
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The Hotel and staff were awesome. I had such a wonderful time. There were only two things that disappointed me VERY much. I told my travel agent I needed a relaxing vacation and that is why she picked this location. It was a treat.

My transportation had me wait for 2½ hours to take me to The Royal at the Cancun Airport. I was hot and I was tired and just wanted to get to the hotel. As I watched people go in vans, I was still WAITING. I came to find out after 2 hours they wanted to get more people on the van so not to WASTE their time. This upset me quite a bit. I told them I would take a cab after the first 1½ hours but they said, no my ride is coming. This was a very unrelaxing, unprofessional way to treat a customer.

Three days in a row I was called and woken up prior to 8 a.m. by "Guest Services." This is truly not guest services but a group of people at the hotel who try to get you to buy into a type of time share. It was only supposed to take 90 minutes and I could leave if I wanted. This is not true. I was with them for 6 hours, I felt harrassed to sign the contract and so I did. Just so I could get OUT of there. They wasted 6 hours of my time the day before I was supposed to leave. I told my travel agent about this and she had no idea they did this and was very upset.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from construction. This is very loud but you don't always get a room away f...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Kathryn L
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I will start off by saying that this is by far one of the nicest all inclusive resorts I have stayed at. The grounds are kept up daily and are just gorgeous. The pool scene is very low key especially if you are not into the whole crazy party scene. The one thing I do recommend is reserving a chair either the night before or early morning before 6AM as the good pool seats fill up quickly. Food and drinks were excellent and there was a huge variety to choose from.Top quality liquor such as grey goose are available but you must request it. All of the ala carte restaurants are amazing and have a great menu to choose from. All portions are small but you can order as much as you want so there should be no issues. My favorite restaurant was Asiana but all the others were great including Maria Marie. The only one I cannot recommend is Chef's plate as we did not eat there as the surcharge is $80.00 USD per person. No need to spend the money when all the other food is probably just as superb. The rooms were very spacious and clean. The beds are more comfortable than I remember at other hotels in Playa. Construction is going on but the concierge are very helpful in making sure you are not placed in that area. It can be avoided unless you have requested a swim up suite than there is nothing they can do because those rooms are located on that side of the property. All public restrooms are extremely well kept and clean at all times. The gym and spa facilities are also very nice and larger than expected. Very close walk to town less than 5 minutes. I would HIGHLY recommend this property and hotel to all my friends and family as it is well worth the extra money. The age range here is anywhere from 25-55 mostly. If you are looking to party do not stay here as this is not that type of hotel. Very relaxing vacation and hopefully we will be returning soon!!

Room Tip: Try to avoid construction however there is no need to upgrade at this hotel because the lower priced...
1  Thank Aesowisl
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The Royal is phenomenal and a diamond five star all the way! Centrally located on 5th Ave and the beach. We consider ourselves well-traveled and just returned home from a 5-night stay We couldn't be more pleased with our trip. I have stayed at other all-inclusive resorts and The Royal is by far the best; from the gorgeous rooms with your own private balcony and hammock to the fun pool bars and the beautiful beach. This hotel is top notch and immaculate. The food and drinks are top shelf and of the highest quality. The on-site restaurants are delicious and the service is impeccable. We suggest Spice for breakfast and Pelicanos for lunch. We can not say enough about the fabulous wait staff throughout the entire resort who are extremely appreciative. Jeronimo and Demetrio at Spice Buffet are excellent servers who make sure you are well taken care of while Yolanda and Gabriella make the best omelets. Selma is a wonderful hostess at the different restaurants who is always friendly and welcoming. Prude and Ari are great waitresses on the beach who will bring you a drink every five minutes. We highly recommend the frozen mojitos and frozen mango drinks that Soto and Matt make at the swim up bar. All the bartenders are quick and make excellent strong drinks especially Toni, Soto, and Matt. Lopez, the security guard on the beach, is extremely helpful as well. We highly recommend the water sports company right on the beach for any water activities. They are very safe and easily assessable. Ask for Julio and Javier for parasailing and jet skiing. If you are looking for adventure, book your excursion with Adventuras Mayas and ask for Carlos. He was a terrific tour guide who stayed with us all day while zip lining in the jungle, repelling off a structure, snorkeling in an underwater cave, and a tour of the Mayan Ruins. This excursion is well worth the price. We can not wait to go back to this paradise! Absolutely loved every minute of this trip. If you are going to stay in Playa Del Carmen, The Royal is where to be.

2  Thank Tara T
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This was our second time to experience this great resort. We were so impressed the first time that with the gracious help of Abby, we purchased a membership. . We are planning to book for the 2015 Valentines week. The food, service, pool, beach and facilities certainly deserve the 5 Diamond designation. All of the staff are sincere in their efforts to please. For example, at the breakfast buffet their was not guacamole so I asked the cook (Virginia) if she had any. She said give me 2 minutes and soon came back with freshly made guacamole. The housekeeping was excellent as provided by Teresa Castellanos. Boreli and Demetrio, of the Spice Restaurant made us feel very special, especially on the occasion of my wife's birthday. If you should buy a membership, Nancy in that department is super efficient and accommodating. The water aerobics and the bicycle tour were special, well done events. Each night's entertainment was more than expected. You cannot go wrong with this choice - everything was greater than our expectations.

Room Tip: The ocean front room are worth the upgrade - chose the 2nd or 3rth floor for the view.
1  Thank Ron and Pat D