“Beautiful, Fun, Relaxing”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
“Beautiful, Fun, Relaxing”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I LOVED THE ROYAL! This was our first all-inclusive resort experience, and and I don't know if I would even want to try another place. Everything was amazing: the food, the beach, the pool, the accommodations, all of it. We especially appreciated the staff and how they treated us while at the resort. They were always kind and helpful. The entertainment was great, and the sports and entertainment staff were especially awesome. Juan, Oskar, and Karina treated us not just like guests, but like we were friends, making sure we all had a good time at the different activities the resort offered during the day. I could tell that events were well organized. We also felt very well taken care of by the waitresses around the pool. They made sure we were having a good time and were well hydrated, especially our new friend Eva, who did a great job searching us out and stopping to see how were doing and if we were enjoying ourselves. I can't get over how great everything was, and how much I didn't want to leave at the end of the week. Thank you, Royal Resort, and to all of your staff for making this a very memorable and awesome vacation for us!

Room Tip: We stayed in a junior sweet, and thought the rooms were fantastic. They had a Jacuzzi, a huge bed, a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kendra B
Lynn D, Gerente at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Royal Guest,
First of all thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your positive review! It makes us so happy to know that you had a wonderful holiday with us and want to also thank you for granting us with the opportunity to host you.
We sincerely hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,161)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Hamilton, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We just returned from The Royal had a wonderful time - the staff is always asking if they can help you - we had a Royal junior suite ocean view room 337 - have to thank Gusdavo for assuring me that this room is exactly what we asked for and it was - great view of the ocean and pool - also have to thank Paulina from my time and also Mariana Patinoi in the lobby - Guilla cleaned our room each day and made it beautiful - Leo stocked our mini refrig with snacks and drinks never had to ask - also Nancy DeDobis, Ivonne, Felipie, and Paco great servers and hostess - and especially Pruda our beach server she was always there with a smile getting everyone their drinks - since we booked thru Liberty Travel we had My Time which gives you extra ammenties like your own cabana on the beach - plus many more extras - be aware of the time share people in the lobby they call and say they have a gift for you just a way to talk you into buying time share - if your interested fine if not just walk away

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1143Truelove2748
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your recent visit and for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

The Royal has a slogan, "Expect The Exceptional" quite a bold statement I thought, but having just returned from an absolutely fantastic two weeks, everything about the resort is just that, "Exceptional".

I have however noted some constructive criticism for consideration further down.

We were a party of four, and selected Royal Ocean View Suites, situated on the south side of the resort, these offer a sunny start to the day overlooking the superb pool, well worth the supplementary charge.
The suites are stunning, extremely spacious with every amenity you could possibly need and a jacuzzi large enough for a small family.

We sampled all of the restaurants, (Chef's Plate excluded) The quality of food and service was "Exceptional" (no better word to describe)

Enjoy a beachside breakfast at Pelicanos, lazy lunch at Tapas and delicious A La Carte dinner at Maria Marie or El Mediterraneo, or if you're not sure surf the buffet at Spice.
One big favourite of ours though was Asiana, oriental cuisine, amazing.

Every one of the staff (I'm told there are 800 of them) were friendly, attentive and courteous, so would not single out anyone for special praise, they were all fantastic.

Critical comments.
The on-line reservation (48 hrs prior to arrival) didn't work, page directs you to send an e-mail.
We requested (many months previously) via our travel agent high floor rooms in range 348 -355, these were not available and we were given 252 & 339

The reserving of sunbeds around the two main pools seems to begin from 5:00 am so if you have a favourite spot, make sure you get up early, the most annoying aspect of this is that having reserved the beds, the occupants don't use them for some hours later.

The resort maximises the area around the pools with sunbeds, which could be the reason for not having any umbrellas/parasols, the beds do have an integral sunshade but these do not provide adequate protection. I was told the reason given was that high winds blow the umbrellas over and some accidents have occurred.
There are a good number of cabanas on the beach though.

One has to book the Maria Marie and Mediterraneo restaurants in advance for evening dinner, which is good, the reservation ticket explains the dress code applied.
Gentlemen, no shorts, T shirts, sandals.

Having scrubbed up well and changed into respectable casual evening attire after some serious sunbathing, we were most disappointed to be seated at our table along with our ladies looking fabulous only to see both Gents and Ladies (mainly from USA and Canada) come wandering to their table looking like they'd just come straight from the beach. This happened on every visit to all the restaurants.

As UK and European residents we have much better taste and respect for conformity also dexterity when using cutlery, so best look the other way whilst the fork stabbing and force feeding is going on
It has to be accepted that the majority of guests are from USA and Canada, therefore us Brits just simply have to accept the noisy, rowdy and whooping noises emanating from those guests.

I'm not sure if The Royal could or would address the concerns I've noted for fear of turning custom away in future.

That being said, I would have no reservations in recommending this resort,

it is EXCEPTIONAL

Room Tip: The Hotel construction on the north side will continue for some months, be sure to view the resort m...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 186363David_S
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your recent visit and for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor, and the most important thank you for your kind comments and observations as these are always taken very seriously. Please rest assured that we will share your valuable feedback with our team for our improvement and in order to achieve our guest’s entire satisfaction.
Atkinson, IL
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Royal Playa del Carmen Feb. 24th thru Mar. 1st. We're from the cornfields of Illinois and we needed this trip in the worst way to escape the coldest and snowiest winter ever! This resort is absolutely gorgeous and incredibly clean. The location is great, we really enjoyed walking down 5th Avenue a couple evenings - the shopping is great!

The food at this resort is fantastic and SO delicious! The breakfast buffet and supper buffet at Spice were great with lots of tasty choices. They fry fresh donuts right there at the station where they also make fresh waffles, pancakes and French toast. I also loved the omelet station and carving station where they had a bone-in ham each morning. We loved the supper buffet so much that we ate there twice! The pasta station was amazing! They also have a grill right there and the grilled chicken and beef was mouth watering! Every course we had at Maria Marie was so filling and delicious that we had to skip dessert we were so full! The same happened at Asiana - SO much delicious food! The spring rolls and the chicken teriaky were amazing! And because a of a little hiccup at check-in (more on that later), we were fortunate enough to be able to dine at The Chef's Plate. What an AMAZING experience! We were there on Tuesday night when the main course is beef fillet and each of our fillets were grilled to perfection! The chocolate mousse dessert was my favorite part, though! For lunch everyday we ate at either Pelicanos or the Tapas restaurant. Both were fantastic! Some good choices at the Tapas are the beef pepitos, the montaditos and the puff pastry filled w/ cream cheese and olives. But our favorite thing about the Tapas restaurant was the taco bar. SO GOOD! You can get pork, chicken or fish tacos and you get to put all your own toppings on. I could've eaten those tacos for every meal! We never had a chance to eat at the Mediterrean.

We started each day at the beach. Coming from below zero temps - we soaked up every bit of the heat! Every day we were able to score lounge chairs underneath a cabana. The lounge chairs on the beach are close together but by noon they are all spread out and moved around because there was always these huge groups that are traveling together that move the chairs closer to the ocean and arrange the chairs into semi-circles. I loved swimming in the sea and walking down the beach all morning. Then after lunch we would move to the pool area to watch all the fun activities in the pool. We were always able to find two pool loungers. People do save them early in the morning but by 2-3pm, a lot are already abandoned - just throw their used towels out of the way. We would swim all afternoon in the pool! The pool is large and the water was great! The ladies that serve drinks on the beach and at the pool are wonderful and the service is great!

The suite we ended up in was beautiful and we were so grateful to finally get into suite #349 that had a perfect view of the pool and beach! When we first arrived at the resort on Monday afternoon we were whisked away to a "private" check-in. The girl assisting us gave us cool towels and champagn. Because I am an avid reader of reviews on Trip Advisor I already knew that we absolutely did not want a room that started with a 6, 7, 8 or 9 because those rooms were right next to the construction. We started trying to do the online check-in 48 hours before our arrival and it never allowed us to do it so I sent close to 10 emails to the front desk manager telling him of our room requirements - w/out one response to any of my emails. So during our private check-in the girl went through the standards of showing us the map, going over the restaurants, etc., and said that we could go eat lunch and hang out by the pool because our room wasn't ready. Not once did she say what our room number was. I finally just asked because I had a bad feeling we were by the construction. She said that it was #920 and to that we firmly said absolutely NOT and that we already knew that room was by the construction and we needed to be moved immediately and that we had tried and tried to do the online check-in. She told us that online check-in wasn't working because they were actually over-booked because they had huge companies there on retreat taking up blocks of rooms. She said we would be able to move to a poolside oceanview room on Wednesday and that for the inconvenience they would give us a dinner at The Chef's Plate which is normally $80.00pp for people in our room category. We went to talk to another gentleman at the actual front desk about this debacle and expressed our dissatisfaction and he just said the same thing as her and wouldn't budge. So we had to stay in the double-bed room right next to the construction for two days. The construction was very loud and dusty, but in hindsight it was totally worth it because the experience and the meal at The Chef's Plate was amazing! We are so glad it all worked out in the end.

I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone, but I will always say to stay on the south side of the resort. The food, the room and the beach and pool were so amazing! We had a great time watching the fun shows they had every night. The people who work there are very nice and the service is great! Thankfully we had absolutely hot and sunny weather while we were there! It only rained during one night. Playa del Carmen is a great to be and I am so happy we had such a great vacation at The Royal!

Room Tip: Only stay in a room that starts w/ a 1, 2, 3 or 4. Otherwise you are right by the construction.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank staceysturt
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your recent visit to THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen and we really appreciate you have taken the time to share your impressions
We would like to mention that we are sincerely sorry and to read the inconveniences you say you have been through but we are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
Once again please accept our most sincere apologies and we hope to have a second opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with a truly exceptional vacation experience.
Hinsdale, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

The food was great and the service by Paco was even better. I especially liked the actual Mexican foods which were delicious, although could have had a little more heat. By the end of our week it felt like we were regulars at a local place back home.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for taking the time to share your review.
We want to let you know that the comments and observations we receive from our guests are always taken very seriously and we truly appreciate your willingness to share your impressions.
We will be delighted to host you once more and exceed you expectations.
Byron Center, Michigan
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I have never felt so welcome to a place like The Royal. Everyone treats you with a lot of respect and I truly hope to come back as soon as possible. There is amazing food, it has a beautiful pool, and it is located on the beach which means my favorite activity of the week- beach volleyball.

But that's not all. The best part of my trip was the people. The first people that had a great impression on me were Karina, Juan, and Oskar. They were such great friends to me and so fun to be around. Karina is too sweet and too funny. Juan is kind and has a good heart, he knows what's important, and he dances like a champion. Oskar is handsome, single, and likes long walks on the beach. He is a funny guy, always joking around. I have never felt so befriended by anyone as I have by Oskar, and he is truly someone not to be forgotten. Among others that had a great impression were Danny Boy, Alejandro (Alex), Pepe, and Katie. They were always so energetic and always found a way to make you smile. Our waiter and waitress, Ernie and Eva, took good care of us and made sure that we were never thirsty. Luis Roberto and Toto, our bartenders did an amazing job mixing drinks and had a very wide variety of drinks to make. Mediz, who worked in the 24 hour snack and drink bar was very kind to my sister and I whenever we were there. Finally we have Maria Leticia. She was the maid for my sister and I. We had great talks every time she came to help us and she has the kindest heart of anyone I know.

Overall, I would say this vacation was the best week of my life. I am sure that everyone who will choose to visit The Royal will agree with me.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
We´re so glad to read your nice review of THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen. Thanks a lot for your recent stay and we are looking forward welcoming you back to your home away from home THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My wife and I traveled to Playa del Carmen in August of 2013, for our honeymoon. We stayed there for 6 days, and 7 nights.

We absolutely LOVED The Royal, we have absolutely ZERO regrets in staying at this resort.

Our search criteria were: no mega resorts, on the beach, preferably no kids, other cool attractions in the area, and all inclusive.

We flew out of Chicago and the trip started off amazingly considering we were out of Chicago and having a steak on the beach within a 4 hour span!

Willamina was super-super friendly and welcoming to the resort. She described all the restaurants, activities, surrounding attractions, spa options, and ANY other questions we had. It was a very cordial welcome to our first time in Mexico.

We walked into our ocean-view room and were immediately impressed. It was very clean, fully stocked, modern looking, and even had some honeymoon decorations/gifts spread out.

We immediately noticed how professional and courteous all the staff are at the Royal. Their staff were very impressive, kind, and helpful throughout our entire stay.

We took this trip primarily for relaxation. There are tons of cool activities on the ocean or near the ruins in the general area, but we were having to much fun relaxing and loosing track of time on the resort itself. The BEST time of relaxation, was at the Spazul. We booked a couples massage a the spa. I was a bit uneasy, as I'd never had a professional massage before, but Lucy and Edith were very professional. It was so relaxing, that I felt the more calm than ever before. If we would have gone earlier in the week, we likely would have setup another appointment. If you want an excellent resort, with an excellent spa; you can't go wrong with the Royal Playa del Carmen.

Each day consisted of lounging by the beach. If your drink was under 1/2 full, there was a polite server asking if you would like anything else. It was very nice not having to track someone down, or get up every time you wanted something to drink. There are also pool activities to have a little fun in the sun, and even get a workout if you want to. There was one afternoon that it rained, but we didn't care at all. There is a pool and ping pong room that we took refuge in. I even played one of the recreational staff when he saw that I was decent at the game!

There are about 8ish restaurants at the Royal, and we never tired of any of them. This isn't an all inclusive, except half the items on the menu, type resort. Literally the only things that cost extra are: wine nicer than house wine (which is decent house wine), and lobster...that's about it! Obviously the hand rolled cigars and souveirs will be an added expense. We loved that it was an all inclusive with so much to offer, that we really didn't feel pressured to spend extra money to fully enjoy the trip.

This may sound boring to some of you, but it's not all couples. You can party the night away, or bum at the pool or beach; there's something for everyone. They'll even setup a group to go clubbing at the local clubs if you'd like.

We absolutely want to return to Mexico, but this time with a group of friends/couples! It's such a fun and relaxed area, that we know we'll return sometime.

This review was written completely based on personal experience, and under to compensation from the resort. I looked extensively into hotels across all of mexico and the Caribbean. The value and quality of this resort, are easily the best in it's class. We'll never forget our stay at the Royal Playa del Carmen. We literally praise it to all our friends.

You will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: I was glad that I chose ocean view, because there are rooms that either look out at the neighboring...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Royal Newlyweds!

On behalf of THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen staff and myself we want to first of all congratulate you for your honeymoon! We also want to thank you for taking the time to share your beautiful review with us and all other TA reviewers.
Nothing puts a bigger smile on our face than to know that our royal guests experienced a beautiful and unforgettable experience in a very important and memorable moment. We are so happy to know that you want us to be a part of that. We will be delighted to host you once more and exceed you expectations.