“Paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Canada
“Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

This was our 3rd vacation at the RPDC and still exceptional in every way!! We treated ourselves and arranged to have the Royal Transportation pick up us at the airport for our drive to the resort. It was such a pleasure to see Alex waiting to "welcome us home" and we enjoyed chatting with him on our drive. He is professional, friendly and a very dedicated employee!

We had a beautiful ocean view suite and it was kept immaculate by Patricia and Olga. Every day we were delighted with a new towel animal arrangement. I attended the Towel Design Demonstration with Betty and Karina and my "elephant" did not quite compare with those of the housekeeping staff!! They are very creative and artistic!!
Carlos kept our bar fridge well stocked and when my husband requested a particular brand of beer, it was there.
Sergio from Room Service was great and so nice!! Whenever I called room service the person on the other end of the phone was so friendly.

Spa - I had the most luxurious facial by Daysi, she was amazing. The spa facilities are nice on their own and provide a little retreat to go to for some calming relaxation.

Restaurants, the food is amazing and service exceptional!!

Chef's Plate - Loved the tasting menus and the professional service by Blanquet, Pedro, Kevin and Jorge Nava and of course the Chef!! The meals were amazing from the Chef's Appetizer to the Tiramisu Martini....incredible!!

El Mediterraneo - We were so happy to see Paco here during the breakfast hours, he's so friendly and such a gentleman!! One evening we had dinner reservations and I would like to mention that Mario( Manager) remembered my allergy to kiwi which I had mentioned when we made the reservation two days prior! Suhey (Hostess) is so lovely and always smiling. The food was delicious and Fernando an excellent waiter.

Pelicanos - We dined at Pelicanos for breakfast and lunch and although it can be busy at times the food was always good and we had the very best of service by Geronimo. Also want to mention Alan who is such a nice young man, always has a smile on his face!!

Maria Marie - Such a beautiful restaurant and we had a delicious meal and great service by Chan.

Coffee House - Mario made me the most incredible drink!! This is such a nice spot to drop by for a coffee, cookie or ice cream.....try the coconut!! Yummy

Flaming Coffee Demonstration - So much fun made possible by Moshie, Gaby, Silvia, Ruben & Reyes!!!! The coffee's were delicious!!

Aqua Excursion - We went on an snorkel excursion with Mizraim, Paco, Sammy & the other fellows to Akumal. It was wonderful and would highly recommend them.

Pool/Beach Service - The staff including Prude, Laura, Ernie & Youli are always friendly and very quick to serve your drinks!! They work so hard in the heat. Want to mention Jaime who is such an asset to this resort! The loungers do get "saved" by early morning but we did not have any problem finding two together.

This was again a wonderful vacation and truly believe the staff are what makes this resort so special. From early morning to late night the service is exceptional!!!

2 Thank CanadianVacationer09
Lynn D, Gerente at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind comments posted at Trip Advisor! As you know, our main goal is make sure that you have a wonderful stay.
Once again thank you for staying with us and remember… “The Royal Playa del Carmen” is your second home.
We remain at your services!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,008)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Memphis, TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Just arrived at The Royal Playa del Carmen today. To set the scene I stayed at The Royal in Cancun twice in the last 6-7yrs. The first time was great the second, not so much. First impressions are that this is a cattle ranch. It's very crowded everywhere you go or look. They seem to be trying to herd as many people through the doors as possible with little attention to individual needs. The beach is noisy and wide open to public access coming from downtown Playa. A couple of other negatives are: there are no umbrellas poolside! There's no way to get out of the sun if you take up a chair by the pool. If you choose to go to the beach, the cabanas are packed so tightly together it looks like a can of sardines! Worst of all the beer selection is pitiful. They have no dark beers! Not even a Dos Equis Amber or Negra Modelo! Come on, really? Really? I have stayed at probably 10 other resorts in the Cancun - Playa del Carmen region over the last 12-14yrs. I will not return to this resort. I'll go back to Excellence Playa Mujeres on the north side, or Secrets Maroma, or Iberostar Grand, or possibly some other adult only all-inclusive but not The Royal. On the bright side the staff is very nice and try to be helpful. But they're fighting an uphill battle with the other negatives. Did you ever have that feeling where you wish you had gone somewhere else? I have that feeling and I don't like it. Over priced for what you get. Sorry I expected better from other reviews I read.

Room Tip: Not worth paying up for Ocean Front rooms in my opinion.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Stickgs
Lynn D, Gerente at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Your comments are very important for us reason why we would like to mention your review has been shared to the staffs in order to improve for our future guests. We hope you enjoy your vacations with us and any future assistance you can contact us directly, it will be a pleasure to help you!
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

This was by far the best all-inclusive experience I have encountered. The entire resort was clean and beautiful. The suite was beautiful and the turn down service and housekeeping service was amazing. All the restaurants had great food and great service. The pools and beaches were great and the pool wait staff were busy but so attentive. It was spring break when we went and there were not a lot of rowdy kids. Everyone seemed to be having a great time but we never had any noise issues. The shows in the lobby were very entertaining. The spa was awesome and the massage in the gazebo on the beach was fantastic. I have nothing at all to complain about except for the time share sales pitch, but that was my own fault for agreeing to it. They'll tell you it's 30 minutes but it actually is around 3 hours. It was by far one of my best vacations. We had the Exclusive all-inclusive which was a step up from the all-inclusive and it made a difference in glassware, room service, etc. We were able to order room service and a bottle of the wine/beer/drinks to the room anytime we wanted and it came in real wine glasses, not plastic.

Room Tip: I did a bunch of research for the Jr. Oceanview suite rooms and we ended up choosing 337 and i think...
1 Thank Amy3332014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent visit to THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen, we really appreciate you have taken the time to share your great review.
We would like to mention that our goal is to ensure our guest satisfaction, we always make our best effort in making feel our guest special and valued during their stay and we are so proud that we did with you!
Also, we would like to mention that we take our guests´ comments very seriously this helps us to work harder in specific areas which we might not being paying the attention that it deserves. Please rest assured that issues you raised have been address and that appropriate corrective actions have been taken.
We hope to welcome you back soon!
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the royal for two weeks from the 9 march 2014. Our room was very large and comfortable excellent hot tub in room! The cleaners and cabinet boy were excellent and always made sure we had what we needed (especially my English tea)! The pool area was lively but not over the top the entertainers worked hard and provided something for everyone and were always friendly! The bar staff at the trade winds after three days new our order especially toto who nearly always had our order ready to pour lol. The food was outstanding at all the restaurants and again the staff were always helpful and friendly a big thank you to Jeronimo in spice and Angel in Pelicanos! Also the pool waiters were just the best always ready to clean your glasses or cool you down with a water spray lol. The food at Asiana and Marie Marie was exceptional along as always the service! We can't wait to return next year and I think that says it all! A huge thank you to ALL THE STAFF for making our holiday so special !!!

Dear Guest,
We truly appreciate your review, it is really nice, and makes feel very proud of our entire staff!! Our top priority is to offer an exceptional service to each of our guest and it is very satisfying to read that this was your case.
Remember The Royal Playa is your home away from home!
Carlisle, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

The resort was beautiful , right on the beach and a few blocks from all the shopping . The staff could not have been nicer and more helpful . Two tips : go for the ocean front swim up suite ( "if you are not going all the way , why go at all !! Joe Willie Nameth ) . Avoid the time share presentation , good rule of thumb to always follow. . Ps The food was outstanding . Make sure to try the chef's plate restaurant . Pss . I always get a kick out of the 2 percent of people who find something to complain about . If you are in that 2 percent just disregard my review .

2 Thank Clint M
Dear Royal Guest,
Thank you so much for your fantastic review! We are very happy to hear that it was a great experience for you, and that you found our staff to be very helpful and attentive, this will motivate us to keep doing our best job!
Thank you for choosing us to spend your vacations. Also we would like to mention that we really appreciate your great point of view!
We are looking forward to host you again very soon it will be an honor for us to pamper you as you deserved!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I vacationed at The Royal PDC March15-22. This was our 4th trip to Rivera Maya at different resorts and we couldn't have made a better choice. The resort is beautiful and well kept. The staff was incredible. Laura on the beach never let our glasses empty. Her smiles each day made us feel like family. Lopez never failed to meet our every need. He was adorable. Just love him!! Demetrio, Abrahan and Antoro at Spice buffet were amazing and Camara, Doris and Carlos kept our suite immaculate and well stocked. We stayed in suite 535 OF and couldn't have made a better choice. Spent most of our days at the beach and although it was small we were always able to find a spot in cabanas for shade. You will need to be down by around 7am to get one though. Everyday we walked the beach. Even got a couples massage for $40 vs $200 at the resort the last day. Should have done it a couple more times. Very relaxing. You can walk the beach either way for miles. Being so close to the city of Playa was a definite plus for me. Shopping!! There is also a Walmart or Mega within walking distance which helped for needed supplies without spending a fortune. Time share people were a bit of an issue at the main entrance but if you kindly say no thank you each time they eventually will leave you alone. The 24 hour snack area is also a plus for coffee and snacks at any hour. Only wish they would have a morning coffee station at the front of resort near the water. All coffee is near the lobby. Just a bit of a hike. The only downfall for us was our last morning we showered in cold water. Not sure why because our entire visit we never had a problem. Took an trip to Market 28 in Cancun. Also fun for shopping. Paid $45 for a taxi going there. Coming back they wanted $70 but when we told them we paid $45 to get there they agreed to the $45. Excursions wanted around $160. We normally like to visit different resorts but this resort is the one we will definitely return to. Our only hope is that the resort being so close next door does not effect The Royal in any way. They say it will not but time will tell. Adios our Royal friends. We will hopefully see you next year!!!!

Dear Guest,
We truly appreciate your review! Our top priority is to offer an exceptional service to each of our guest and it is very satisfying to read that this was your case.
Thank you for your comments about our staff, this motivates them to keep putting their best effort in their daily job.
Thank you again and we hope to see you again very soon!
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

My fiancés brother decided to have a destination wedding at The Royal. Our weekend was a complete disaster. This resort prides itself on customer service and as a posh establishment. It’s very excited about its Trip Advisor ranking. At the time of this review, the website raves about its five star status, tripadvisor 2012 “Travelers’ Choice” award, and the Travelocity Excellence Award.

My soon-to-be Mother and Father-in-law arrived at 7:00 am. We tried to check them in with no luck because check-in is at 3:00 pm. We had breakfast and brought them to our room so they could rest (they had been awake for almost 24 hours when they arrived). Around 1:00 pm we asked if they had a room available. The customer service/front desk person, Didier Vargas, told us we couldn’t check-in until 3:00. I politely told him the parents are tired and asked if there were any rooms they could take. We had a small discussion and I asked about other people that were clearly checking in and out and asked if there was anything he could do. Didier decided to get on the phone and act like he was talking about a room. Well, my fiancé speaks Spanish. His entire 10 minute conversation was about anything but a room. He told us to come back at 3:00. We did. Once we came back we were told that the room wouldn’t be ready until 5:00! Seriously?! We’re talking about the parents of the groom and they can’t get into a room that we’ve been asking about since 7:00 am. I’m under the impression it was deliberate at this point. This was more than unacceptable, especially since the parents were paying for the whole wedding. A manager never came to discuss the situation. They gave us a $60 room credit for the inconvenience. I don’t want the credit – I want a room!

While my fiancés father and I were trying to get them checked-in, my fiancé and her mother were at the salon getting a manicure and pedicure. The mother was carrying $1,500 in cash in a white envelope. She tried to pay for the services in advance and pulled a few hundred out of her purse. Well, they don’t take cash payments so it was charged to our room. While in the salon the envelope mysteriously disappears. It wasn’t noticed until she tried to change purses a couple hours later. We were late to the rehearsal dinner because after notifying the front desk, the security team was involved. Security decided to search our room and the parent’s room. They went through every suitcase, purse, and safe in both rooms looking for the envelope. Then we went to the rehearsal dinner on the beach and had to have the aunt’s purse searched because she was in our room for a bit. By the way, everyone in the family is a doctor so there would be no need for stealing. The searches were a complete intrusion into our privacy (I get it’s part of the process). We followed up two days later about the missing money and the hotel Operations Manager, Edwin Barragan, talked to us and was still investigating the situation. He asked us a series of questions and throughout the conversation the context implied that she “misplaced the money.”

We had some family members that had to stay across the street because they have a child. The day of the wedding, they came over and the people in the front gave them a hard time during the check-in process to get on the property. They told them they were here for the wedding and their son was supposed to be in the wedding. Sadly, it took them more than 30 minutes to get them bracelets and checked-in. The little boy was late enough the wedding started and someone else had to be the ring bearer.

The food at the rehearsal dinner and wedding was average at best. I didn’t finish either meal and in private asked others if they were satisfied with the food. Responses were mixed.
Before booking this resort, consider other options. The price you pay to stay here doesn't justify the quality of the service you receive. In the past 12 months my fiancé and I have traveled to Cancun, Cabo, and here (among other destinations outside of Mexico) and this was by far my least pleasurable experience. I’ve stayed at 4 star resorts that were way better than this.

We met with the Operations Manager again before departing for a resolution. The final suggestion: try to claim it on your homeowners insurance. He mentioned people that lose iPhones, iPads, and computers do that and that he would supply us with documentation from the hotel. He also asked that I send an email detailing our experience and the occurrences. So, I did. The response was an apology letter that made no actual attempt for resolution other than making sure our next experience is unforgettable. I will never return to this property, not even if my room were to be compensated.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Jerrys_Reveiw
Dear Guest,
We are deeply sorry about your perception from our services you had in your recently stay.
We apologize if in some way we did not exceed your expectations and we hope you consider to give us another opportunity host you at THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen.