“Service still outstanding”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #11 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Second time at this resort and not much has changed since a year ago, from check in to check out the service is impeccable. Its not just that the servers never leave you feel wanting but they always have a good attitude and genuinely seem happy to be making you happy. Sadly, I didn't get the names of all the great servers and waiters that made our stay special but I would like to give a special shout out to Celia (pool service) who made sure our cups were always full and was a joy to be around. Also Erika at concierge, I talked to her via e-mail to make a room request, she replied right away and came up to see us pretty much the second we got in our room to meet us in person.

Still the one and only disappointment for me is Spice (the buffet), personally if I go to a buffet I would like a few more casual choices like fries with slider burgers or chicken nuggets or fried fish. I find the food at Spice to be the same as the restaurants but the atmosphere is not as good so I would prefer to just eat at the restaurants. There is a reason everybody raves about the spring rolls at Asiana, because people enjoy junk food sometimes on vacation so serve up some fish'n'chips at Spice and I think you'll find it gets a lot busier.

Room Tip: Stay near the main pool to avoid construction.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank roy_miami
Lynn D, Gerente at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent visit to THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen, we really appreciate you have taken the time to share your great review.
We would like to mention that our goal is to ensure our guest satisfaction, we always make our best effort in making feel our guest special and valued during their stay and we are so proud that we did with you!
Also, we would like to mention that we take our guests´ comments very seriously this helps us to work harder in specific areas which we might not being paying the attention that it deserves. Please rest assured that issues you raised have been address and that appropriate corrective actions have been taken.
We hope to welcome you back soon!

There are newer reviews for The Royal Playa del Carmen

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I took my staff, their families, and our friends to the Royal for a four night retreat the last week in May. Sixty five folks in all. As always, the staff is hardworking and super great. The food well above average. The location the perfect blend of nice sandy beach and cool Mexican town with all it has to offer. The resort is tidey, clean, and comfy. It would have been perfect if it weren't for what I now call the "Lost Luggage Incident". Upon departure our group of sixty five people assembled our bags in a central location as directed by the Royal Playa del Carmen staff. We returned our wrist bands, obtained the appropriate check out paperwork, and boarded a large bus and extended van for the trip back to Cancun. In the hustle and bustle, two carry on bags were left behind. No problem. You would think think that the resort could simply send the bags on one of the many cabs that regularly travel to and from the airport, but this did not occur. Or they could simply ship the bags back via fed-ex or whatever comperable shipping system Mexico has....Nada....Too easy perhaps. Where is common sense. What has happened is a prolonged finger pointing dialog between GoGo travel, the Royal Playa resort, and my excellent travel agent Sal at Vacations to Go who is absolutely perplexed by the total lack of professionalism and customer service proffered by the resort management. They said the owner of the lost bags signed something or another that verified the bag was on the bus. This could have happened in the confusion that accompanies a large group departure. We all signed many different things as required to "prove" you have paid any additional resort fees and have been officially checked out. However, the owner of the missing bags has severe Multiple Sclerosis, is wheelchair bound, is on multiple medications, and needs lots and lots of help simply moving from point A to point B. She remembers nothing about signing for the bags, but is certain they were placed with all of other of our groups luggage waiting to be transported to Cancun for the return flight home. The two bags were simply left behind by the staff who loaded the bus. She does know that all of her MS medicine was in her missing carry on luggage. Medicine she has now had to replace at considerable expense. Sal at Vacations to Go has been communicating with the folks at the Royal Playa del Carmen and GoGo Travel for weeks now without any tangible results. Nobody from the resort seems to give a hoot. Don't they realize I take my large group on outings two times a year? Or that I rtravel often to Mexico with friends to Scuba? Or that we spent in excess of $50,000 at their resort for this 4 night trip ?? Why argue over who is "responsible" for a few bags accidentally getting left behind??? Is it really worth all that???? So, to make a long story short, Sal at Vacations to Go said his company would cover the costs of shipping the bags even though they were not involved at all with the lost luggage other than provide our group with excellent travel arrangements. I told Sal not to worry in that I am returning to the Royal Playa del Carmen the 2nd week in April, a trip that had been previously scheduled to the Royal Playa with a group of 8 divers, and that I will simply pick the bags up myself at that time. Sal and Vacations to Go are examples of what we are often missing nowadays...a representative and a company that care and value their clientale and tries to exceed expectations. The good people at Vacations to Go realize the importance of repeat customers for growing and maintaining a sucessful business, The Royal Playa del Carmen resort and GoGo travel seem much less interested in customer satisfaction and more interested an saving a buck or two. Did I mention we spent over $50,000!!!!!!

Room Tip: Construction noise from adjacent hotel build could annoy a light sleeper.....
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Larry D

Dear Guest,
We want you to know that we do take our guests´ comments very seriously, this helps us to work harder in specific areas which we might not being paying the attention that it deserves. We are deeply sorry about your perception from our resort.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with a truly exceptional vacation experience

Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I visited here after 3 and a half busy weeks in the US just wanting somewhere to relax before heading home, I am so glad we did this! We have had the most amazing time here, all the staff are so beautiful and there whenever you need something! The first room we were given we weren't 100% satisfied with as we paid more for an ocean view and didn't really have one, we called reception and they were more then willing to accommodate our needs and we changed rooms the very next day! I can't praise this resort enough! Do yourself a favour and stay here!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Resort. Thank you for your kind words about the resort facilities, we are very happy that you enjoyed all these.
It will be an honor to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed at the Royal from April 5th to April 10th and had a wonderful vacation. We were a group of 4 in our thirties from Georgia and have travelled to many all inclusive resorts all over. This was our favorite resort by far, we will def return. We were celebrating our 10 year anniversary and my sister and her husband were there for their first vacation after their son was in a horrible accident during hurricane sandy. We both needed to get away and rest and relax. Laura the assistant to the general manager made sure our vacation was perfect. She made sure we had rooms away from the construction and in a very quiet part of the resort. We had rooms 275 and 276, they were facing the courtyard and if you leaned over the rail you could see the ocean. We loved these rooms because they were in the middle of the resort, no more than a 5 minute walk to anything on the resort or the beach. I would not have wanted to stay on the side with the construction, they do start hammering really early. The food was incredible, we loved all of the rest. except the mediterraneo, our steaks were very overcooked, to the point of not eatable and the guys ordered lobster and paid extra for it and it was not the best lobster, wasn't horrible just not wonderful. We had wonderful service everywhere we went. The tapas has the best pork tacos, we had them almost every day. Our room was kept perfect every day thanks to christy, she was wonderful, we had cute towel animals every day. Luis with room service was awesome, he delivered a bottle of champagne our last night and prepared a box lunch for us to take the day we flew out so we didn't have to buy lunch in the airport. Little things like that made this resort stand out above the others we have been to. The only negative we have is that there is no shade at the pool, they really need to have umbrellas or build something so people can get in the shade. The beach was really nice, the water is gorgeous. It is public so there are a lot of locals on it but they never bothered us at all. We liked the feeling of being in Mexico and being downtown playa del carmen. There is really no nightlife at the resort, if you want to dance you have to go downtown. We will def return to this resort and recommend it to even the pickiest traveler. I can't imagine how you could have a negative review of this resort. Also want to thank the girl from the netherlands that checked us in, she was so sweet and welcoming. You can't go wrong booking this resort! Crystal Condon

Room Tip: We stayed in 276 and loved it, not ocean view but great location and very quiet. Try to avoid const...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank all4thesmile

Dear Royal Guest,
Thank you so much for your fantastic review! We are very happy to hear that it was a great experience for you, and that you found our staff to be very helpful and attentive, this will motivate us to keep doing our best job!
Thank you for choosing us to spend your vacations. Also we would like to mention that we really appreciate your great point of view!
We are looking forward to host you again very soon it will be an honor for us to pamper you as you deserved!

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We went last month to the Royal. We wanted an adults only resort without the kids this time. We paid double the price/per person than we did the last time we went to Playa with the kids for this feature. Didn't feel that feature was worth that much more money. Check in was unorganized. Our "complimentary pillow service" took 3 nights to actually get our pillows. The water in the hot tub in our room was the color of apple juice. (We heard many other people mentioning the same thing during the week.) A few little things like that, but otherwise a nice vacation. We are 40 years old, but the average age at the resort when we were there was probably 55-75. Lots of people there as part of their time share. Nice shows in the evening. Great food/drinks. (Some staff not very personable....definitely expecting tips regularly.) Very clean. Nice location if you like to walk around town a little. Short walk to the ferry for Cozumel. Overall a very nice vacation. We thought it would be a little more comparable to a Sandals (adults only ,highly rated & we paid about the same as our Sandals trip to Jamaica), but not quite there.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Wisconsin31

Dear Guest,
We really appreciate this review. We are sorry that you did not have the best welcoming reception as we are used to give, we really apologize and be sure we will sharing your comments with our staff in order to improve and take actions to give an exceptional service.
Thank you again and we hope that you come back and enjoy once again of all our services! ,

Hi All,

I'll keep it simple. This is the most beautiful resort, the best staff, best location, and the best food and drinks. Oh I forgot to mention the best weather, beach, and pools!!!!! Please feel free to contact me if you are planning on booking this Resort. I can point you in the right direction to save you a ton on your room costs. The owner and the staff must be very proud.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I spent 7 days here after spending 7 days at another resort in the same area for my honeymoon (1st week got married with family and friends and 2nd week we moved to another hotel for our honeymoon). Where to start - everything was incredible and I think even stood out more because we had just come from another resort versus having to compare to something we travelled a year earlier etc.
Smooth check in, to our beautiful room (decorated beautifully, huge with our own spa and big balcony with hammock) the most comfortable beds we had ever slept in while travelling, turn down service, free i-pods loaded with music, the food and drinks were superb, the beach was incredible and the location was awesome. We could be laying out on the beach and decide to tour into town to see if we could find any market deals to bring home and forgot some of our belongings on the beach - only to return hours later in the dark to find security standing near by watching it - unbelievable!! We thanked him profusely, he would not accept a tip. Dinner on the beach and massage under the stars was very romantic, the concierge made every effort to ensure our honeymoon met all of our expectations - and then some! The pool was very nice - I'm just more of a beach person. The day beds on the beach were great - as were the little flags to let staff know you were parched and in need of a new cold one - LOL! I can't say enough good things about this resort - it wasn't a big resort, nor a small one - but just right. I don't like to go to the same place twice as there are so many places to see and visit - if I was ever to make an exception - the Royal Playa del Carmen would be it! Excursions we went on included a snorkel trip right off our beach by boat (we waded out to the boat and he took us to an amazing corral reef very close by - cheapest snorkel trip I've been on and saw a lot of stuff!) went to the cenotes swimming and also the dinner in one in town, its dried up and turned into a restaurant - really fun, great photos!

Room Tip: We did not pay extra for a different than standard room and thought it was awesome - I can only imag...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Queen_of_the_Castle

Dear Guest,
Our top priority is to make a dreamed vacation for each of our guest and we are very grateful that this was your case. We feel really pleased that you enjoyed your honeymoon.
Thank you again and it will be our honor to have you back with us soon.