The resort itself was fantastic - I went with 5 family members (ages 25-70) and we all could find something we could enjoy. All of the food was great quality and the drinks were too good leading to a few painful mornings :)
There were multiple headaches though: We had 3 rooms which were all in different buildings. We hoped to travel and be as a group, but our rooms were scattered. Also, my aunt and I were given one room with a king-sized bed while every other room in our party had double beds. The concierge helped, and we were upgraded to a room with a private pool, but had to move rooms 3 times to be able to keep the room with the pool - which was totally worth it in the end.
Our room had a leaky air conditioner which leaked in the walls constantly dripping and keeping us up at night. When we called for maintenance, no one came to take a look at it.
The last major headache was traveling with Lomas airport shuttle service. You have to book the shuttle with one staff member (ours was named William) at the resort, and he usually has a line of 4 or 5 people waiting to book day trips or shuttle service. I waited for an hour just to confirm my family's shuttle time. Not what you want to be doing on your vacation. I would recommend paying a little extra and having a shuttle from the Royal pick you up from the airport and take you back.
The Royal has some major shining stars though: Vi, the waitress who brought drinks directly to us at the pool, Jayson, a great guy working at the Lobby bar, Tony who worked at the swim-up bar, and Aida our housekeeper.
I know I would definitely go back, but book everything through the resort and not a travel agency.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Along the powdery white sands of the Caribbean, The Royal welcomes guests to a world of all-inclusive luxuries exclusively for adults. Situated on the Riviera Maya just steps from Playa del Carmen's famous Fifth Avenue, the AAA Four-Diamond resort boasts all-suite accommodations with private balconies and spectacular views, plus special options such as swim-up suites and beachfront walkouts. From beach butlers to romance concierges, the attentive staff provides genuine hospitality at every turn as guests enjoy the luxurious spa, exquisite cuisine, natural beauty, and many other delights of The Royal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Prestigia, Holiday Gems, TravelUp, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your The Royal Playa del Carmen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Porto Real
- Royal Playa De Carmen
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Mexico/Riviera Maya