“Turning 40 never felt so good!!!”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #13 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver, BC
“Turning 40 never felt so good!!!”
Reviewed 19 December 2008

My husband suprised me with a vacation to this resort for my 40th birthday! We have done a lot of travelling in our time and I can not say enough good things about The Royal. The service was outstanding from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. The room was great and very clean. The food outstanding and the location perfect. I would totally recommend this location to friends and, in fact, already have. If I had the opportunity to go back on vacation without my children this would be the absolutely perfect place to do it. Warning...if you partake in the Stott Pilates class with Regina as your teacher you will have a workout like no other ever in your life. She is a fabulous teacher!!!

P&G Vancouver, BC

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank gregpamkostiw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,109)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
philadelphia, pa
Reviewed 18 December 2008

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon and we can't stop talking about The Royal.

We travel very frequently and have been on cruises as well as all inclusive resorts and The Royal is by far the best place we have ever been. If you are looking for a romantic, relaxing and wonderful honeymoon or vacation, this is the place to be. Let me explain.

This part of the review will be appreciated most by woman. The morning that we were leaving for our honeymoon I realized that I had a UTI(urinary tract infection)! OUCH!!!! I thought to myself, how am I going to enjoy my 10 day honeymoon if I'm in pain the entire trip. Well have no fear ladies!!! Since my travel agent mentioned that we were honeymooners on our reservation, we received a private check-in. At that time I told Veronique, an angel on Earth, about my condition. She calmly picked up the telephone and within 3 minutes (not an exaggeration) the doctor was in front of me with antibiotics. WOW....was all I could say!!

OK, so on to the resort.

The Room
We were in an oceanview suite. The bed was a dream. It was very comfortable and we were able to choose the type of pillows we preferred from the pillow menu.

We didn't really use the in room liquor dispenser because by the time we got to the room we were already "in the wind". But there are 4 bottles in the dispenser and if you don't like the bottles that are there you just let the concierge know and they change them right away.

There was a different towel animal everyday with fresh rose petals to adorn the bed. The few nights that we were out of the room to get turn down service were great. The staff left more rose petals, chocolate truffles and scented oils with candles.

The Restaurants
As I previously mentioned we have traveled for quite some time and the food was excellent to be an all inclusive resort. Pelicano's was our favorite for lunch. My husband absolutely loved Asiana's. You must try the coconut shrimp at Asiana's...they are to die for! The buffet was above average in my opinion. There was something different everyday and the food was excellent. We did eat at Chef's Plate and Maria Marie they were both phenomanal!

I could go on forever about this resort. The grounds are spotless. There was never a time I didn't see someone cleaning or mopping somewhere. The only thing I could possibly say was a con about this resort is the "towel game". It was a little annoying to see towels on almost every chair by 9am. However, we never had a problem getting a chair but it was sometimes in an area like the bottom of the stairs where a lot of traffic came through. But not a big enough deal to let it ruin our trip.

To wrap things up, if you are looking for relaxation and pampering this is a wonderful resort to consider. My husband and I already booked our return trip for our 1st anniversary!!

• Liked — The food, the beds, the service and the location
  • Disliked — Leaving!!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
8 Thank mspie
ontario
Reviewed 17 December 2008

the person name Michel Madrid is the most rude, unprofession and unethical Manager on duty. She doesn't deserve to be a manager at all. When you try to tell her she made a mistake, she does not take the responsibility and has the worst attitude you can expect from a person

Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank kdy111
On the beach in Lower Alabama
Reviewed 17 December 2008

We had a pool-side suite and the all-inclusive beverage & food
package. We swam, did gym and bike trips. Staff was very
friendly, the Sports & Recreation people that impressed us
was Angelo and Rosario. The Pilates instructor was Edith and
she was outstanding with a daily class at 11:00 a.m.. The
food was first rate and we "adopted" Danielle, the Hostess
that smiled and cheered us up at meals.

We are already planning our December 2009 trip.

• Liked — Gorgeous Pool-side suite and great food & beverage
  • Disliked — Learning exchange rate for Pesos
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank ShoreBird70
Hampshire , UK
Reviewed 17 December 2008

Having read a lifetime of trip advisor reviews before choosing this hotel, I felt I had to return the favour on my return.
We travelled on the 21st November 2008 for 2 weeks for our honeymoon and all I can say is WOW. I expected the exceptional and got so much more !!

I booked through Travelcare in the UK who were great, unfortunately the uk brochures don’t mention the ‘Royal’ service but as long as you book an ocean view or above you can receive this and do the online booking, check out the Real website for all the info.
As far as the online checking goes it can be tricky but I emailed the Hotel on (concierge@realresorts4.com) and asked for my reservation number rather then try the hundreds of combinations it could have been, Ursula was so helpful and I was able to email her with any issues. It still took awhile but you will eventually get through. Like me if you find when trying to choose your room that they are all reserved try the next grade up and see if they will let you select that, I was so lucky, I was upgraded to an Oceanfront without my knowledge and free of charge!
The Thomas Cook flight was ok a little uncomfortable and I will upgrade next time however the back of the plane from seat 37 is a 2,3,2 combination so if you don’t want to pay the extra for an upgrade you could just do the your seat your choice and select 2 seats on their own if you are a couple.

Arrival at the airport was quick and I had no problems with the ‘men in white shirts’ as advised I just walked straight through and found plenty of reps to help find the tranfers.

At the Hotel I was given the room I’d allocated 534 and a bell boy took us up straight away. Well opening the door I was amazed, it was beautiful and clean with rose petals and swans on the bed, a cake with champagne and an amazing view. I felt really spoilt. The only tiny negative was there was no hammock which was probably a good thing as I would’ve fallen out!! The mini bar was well stocked and the maid service spot on, I looked forward every day to see which animal I’d get on my return. As for the turn down service it happened every night and the room smelt lovely, ideal for a relaxing sleep, not that you needed any help with the comfortable bed and pillows. One little tip don’t drop food on the floor as tiny insects love it and will come out of nowhere !! don’t let that put you off though this hotel is immaculate!!

During our stay we tried all the restaurants as well as the ones at the Porto real and could not fault any of them they were all equally as good, we tended to do Spice for breakfast, Pelicanos for lunch and all the others in the evening. All waiters etc worked so hard and you will see them in the other restaurants throughout the day. Room service was easy and very quick.

The beach was lovely and made a nice walk in the mornings with good waves to learn to body surf, there is the towel game but we never had a problem finding anywhere and loved the cabanas, both beach and pool were well staffed and they all worked so hard including the entertainment team who didn’t push for you to join in. Make sure you try the drink of the day every morning I loved the picasso and dirty monkey but hated the mojitos.

The hotel grounds were always being spruced up and everyone from groundsmen to management was so charming, the hand on the heart gesture was very warming.
The 24hr VIP lounge was a great facility , nothing I liked more than a quick game of pool and a coffee after a hard days sunbathing.

The entertainment was abit disappointing just a lot of dancing, however they were very professional and extremely talented, you could always try 5th avenue for some music etc

I did have a massage at Veronicas and it was good , very clean and proffessional only 20$ for a back massage that would have been 45 at the hotel.

Overall the Royal was exceptional, they all certainly deserve your tips , I tipped little and often but think I would’ve got the best service regardless.
I’m already saving for my 5th anniversary ( I don’t normally return to the same place twice) to come back!! If you choose this hotel you will not be disappointed I believe it is the best in the area and so central.
Any questions don’t hesitate to email me xx

• Liked — Everything especially the friendliness of the staff.
  • Disliked — Having to go home !!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
9 Thank pugsy69
Kentucky
Reviewed 16 December 2008

My husband and I were looking for a 3 night stay in Mexico at a quiet, romantic all inclusive resort. We were referred to The Royal in Playa Del Carmen by friends and travel agent. We chose our room online 48hrs before, as directed. When we arrived, they assigned us a different room. After argueing with the concierge for 10mins, she called the manager at my request. He told her he changed the room because he felt that the view from our new room was better and that the room itself was nicer. We were supposed to be far from the pool, infront of the ocean and we were placed next to the pool. When the concierge (anna) took us to our room, the keys didn't work, maintenance got us in and we found the refrigerator on the floor, then the cable wasn't plugged in. I called and complained to the manager and he gave us 2 50min massages. The massages were wonderful, we had a couples massage in the cabana outside. It is very noisy around 2pm when the activities guy is hollering over the microphone playing pool games for a couple of hours! The new room was beautiful (531) and the vew was beautiful, just noisy. The beds indeed are fabulous and we enjoyed the nightly DVD rental. The service at the restaraunts was poor, very slow and the food mediocre. The grounds were well maintained and the beach was clean and the water wonderful. We had no trouble getting a beachside cabana at 8am, however, all the chairs around the pool already had towels on them. The beach buttlers had about a 30 min turn around time, at one point they told me there were no bottles of water for a couple of hours while they waited for a delivery. We went to walk around 5th Ave, it was very charming and the people did not really hassle us at all, it felt very safe and had many wonderful looking/smelling restaraunts.I would not give this resort 5 stars, maybe 4. I much preferred Melia Caribe Tropical in Punta Cana, much more romantic. I won't stay at this resort again, I would rather try somewhere new or return to Punta Cana

Stayed December 2008
5 Thank kyjjmom
rural
Reviewed 16 December 2008

You can't fault the resort - it was indeed beautiful, but we tired of being approached at every turn by pushy salesmen selling timeshares. When you spend this kind of money, your shouldn't have to put up with that. Also, the beach was filthy with cigarette butts - this could have been an easy fix for the resort staff.

• Stayed April 2007