“Amazing All Inclusive experience”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #13 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 January 2009

A travel agent reccommended this for our honeymoon. We hadn't been to anywhere like this before. This was an amazing experience. The Ambiance, Service, Accommodations, Food... it was out of control. Each day was better than the one before. I don't normally like buffets, but we found ourselves eating at the buffet atleast once a day... it was so good... The Service, at check in, the trips, the housekeepers, room service, the pool attendents, bartenders... it all was 5 star! THANK YOU! We have reccommended it to many.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 January 2009

We booked a last minute trip to Playa Del Carmen. It was our first time on this side of Mexico. Absolutely loved it! The hotel, The Royal, was suggested to us from friends and I'm really glad that we stayed there. It was great in every way..;.very friendly staff, the entertainment staff, Alex, Angelo, Rosario and Adan, were great fun every day. The food and higher end alcoholic was a welcome treat. We could walk to 5th Avenue within minutes, no need to cab. Rooms were impeccable and maid service, outstanding. Would highly recommend!!!!!!!!

6  Thank VancouverJames
Reviewed 2 January 2009

Our trip was over Christmas, Dec. 21-28. We were coming from snow buried Canada so were many hours late arriving. Our original reservation was at the Gran Porto Real, the sister hotel across the street. To our surprise, they told us they were moving us across to the Royal at the some room rate. OK said we! In retrospect, I believe we were targeted as potential candidates for their time-share program. More on that later.

Check-in was effortless as is was 4:30 AM. They bell boys were on duty, moved our luggage with a smile and we were escorted to a very lovely room to catch a few hours of sleep. We missed breakfast and went straight to lunch at Spice. I have gluten intolerance and must avoid many foods but was delighted to find I could choose foods from the buffet that were acceptable. That day was spent quietly by the pool and on the beach while we got our tired heads together again.

The next day we began researching side trips and somehow got into the hands of someone telling us we were entitled to a tour of the hotel and welcome package consisting of a beach bag, some printed information and other details. One thing led to another and we found ourselves upstairs in their office getting the "royal" sales pitch. Now we're Canadian, eh and can't conceive of parting with $90,000 US without discussing with each other, consulting with our accountant and lawyer, none of which was allowed. On yes, they had a lawyer but it was THEIR lawyer. We were not allowed to see the contract either and I expect it was also in Spanish. We were eventually able to extricate ourselves but the 90 minutes we were told it would take was actually over 3 hours. The bad taste lasted through the next day.

Other than that, the hotel was superb. We've stayed in all inclusive resorts before in Puerto Vallarta but this one certainly ranks amongst the best. The staff could not have been nicer, everyone greets you with "Hola", meals were excellent, especially at Maria Marie's where they had a gluten-free menu I could choose from. We were also delighted with Pelicanos where the maitre'de could not do enough to ensure I had gluten free meals. We did not try Chef's Plate but heard the meals were excellent there. All in all, the food services were the best we've experienced in Mexico.

We took Spanish lesson every morning by the pool with the delightful Rosario, the charming and very funny Adam and for 3 days with wonderful Alex. These young folks were absolutely delightful, highly intelligent, talented and so eager to make your visit memorable. Love ya, Alex!

In the end, we were enjoying the resort so much that we never did get to those side trips, partly for economic reasons and partly because most of them involved lunch out and that can be a problem for me. We loved the pool and beach areas but never did go in the pool. It was just too cold. They have two circular areas with jacuzzi jets and one is heated. That one became to gathering place in the afternoon with tequila's flowing and lots of good(?) conversations with other guests.

The entertainment began around happy hour with recorded Mexican music, continued into the dinner hour(s) with live bands followed by a different show each evening. The band returned after the show for another hour or so of live music. Our room was on the 3rd floor facing the inner courtyard but all traces of noise or music were blocked by the patio doors. Very quiet inside the room.

The physical plant of this resort is truly beautiful as is the beach. There are very few beach vendors unlike PV. I don't mind the vendors but know some do. There were lots of beautiful young people, many Mexican families with very well mannered offspring and the usual assortment of Canadians and Americans in baggy shorts with caps on backwards, tattoos and foul language that make you ashamed to say you're one of them. This is, by the way, an adults only resort so there were no little ones. Good or bad - you choose!

Would we go back there? Probably not. For all the beauty of the Royal and Playa del Carmen, I must confess we like PV better. Not as humid, more energy and a shorter plane ride for us.

6  Thank LennyVancouver_BC
Reviewed 1 January 2009

We stayed at the resort Dec. 23 - 30th. Our travel agent recommended this resort because it was close to the downtown area of Playa del Carmen and that there would be other young adults for our daughters to hang out with. We weren't disappointed. I emphasize the young adult thing because most of the reveiws I've read from people traveling during holiday times haven't touched on this fact. The resort is very lively with many young singles, so if you are looking for a quiet place for a romantic getaway Christmas/New Year's week, you might not be happy here.

I agree with all other observations of the resort. The rooms are very comfortable, the staff is responsive, beach is beautiful (very busy with foot traffic because of holiday week). We enjoyed the food very much. Yes, reservations for Maria Marie were needed, but not a big deal at all to get. One night when we were there a couple tried to walk in without a reservation and were turned away not because they didn't have a reservation but because the man was wearing shorts. They are very explicit about dress code for evening wear, so if you don't try to bend their rules you'll do fine. All in all, great place. If I had one criticism it would be that they need to replace about 50% of their beach lounges that are broken.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
8  Thank NancyG
Reviewed 30 December 2008

I am several months late writing this review but my husband and I still talk and dream about our trip. The staff went above and beyond for us!! My husband speaks fluent Spanish and really enjoyed talking to the staff - although Spanish is not necessary, it certainly helped when ordering room service. I don't know why the Royal is only rated as a 3* hotel on tripadvisor - it's definitely 4-5 in my opinion. I read all of the reviews before our trip and went with an open mind. The hotel is very clean and beautiful and the open air atmosphere is wonderful. We stayed for 8 days and didn't want to come home. The bed was very plush and comfortable compared to other resorts. We had an ocean view room on the corner that also faced the pool - it was a great location (sorry I can't remember the room number - 2nd floor). I got online and requested our room 48 hours in advance and had no problem when we checked it. The staff did a great job with games/activities but didn't pressure if you didn't want to play. Drink service at the beach and pool were wonderful - we didn't go thirsty. All restaurants are great but Asiana was by far our favorite. We would love to go back to the Royal sometime in the near future!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank XBG531
Reviewed 29 December 2008

We were at the Royal from 8 to 22 December and as I relied on TA reviews so much before booking our holiday I wanted to tell other potential travellers that it is just as good as other reviews say.

The rooms are great, they really are just like all the pictures on this site and on the hotel's own website. The beds are huge, but to be honest not as comfy as some reviews described. It was OK though and I didn't have any difficulty sleeping (that wasn't to do with the time different between PDC and the UK).

I just have a comment about the food, which we thought was very good. We tried all the restaurants and there are some excellent dishes to be had at every one. Likewise there's the odd thing on some menus which are only so-so. We ate at Chefs Plate 4 times and had four really great meals - over and above the standard we've had in any other hotel restaurant. They were not however to the same standard as a top notch UK restaurant - but then I did not expect that. If you're expecting 'Michelin Star' standard you will be disappointed, but I can only ask whatever would make anyone think you'd get that standard for the price you pay for this hotel. My least favourite was the Tapas Restaurant which was disappointing for us but we eat Tapas regularly in Barcelona so that is a hard act to follow.

We had a Royal Junior suite but if we were to go again I would not bother with the up-grade. All the rooms except front ocean view and the other "suites" are exactly the same, and for the amount of time we sat on our balcony to take in our 'side' sea view I did not find the upgrade worth the extra cost. I read a review earlier this year which mentioned being disappointed at having a street facing room, and I didn't fancy that much myself - hence our upgrade. However, don't let the fear of that worry you. It's a quiet, quite pleasant, street that just leads down to the beach with another 'Real' hotel on the opposite side. There is some traffic but not much. I'd take the risk if we stayed here again and then spend the extra dosh on something else.

All in all we had a great holiday with superb staff who go out of their way to be pleasant and give good service.

5  Thank smh1954
Reviewed 29 December 2008

Great stay from start to finish. we were there Nov. 21 to Nov 25 2008, nice touches, Small wedding cake and champagne in the room upon arrival, our 5th anniversary, we stayed in room 830, away from the noise of the pool and nightlife, short walk to the pool and beach, nice. Margaritas gould be stronger, no matter how well we tipped, and we did, 200 pesos a day, to the wait person on the beach, same weak drink, so we put some tequila from the bar in the room in a water bottle and brought it with us and added accordingly. Pelicanos was great for breakfast, no crowd, plenty of wind however. Chef''s plate was great, asian place was heavy handed on the salt, the french mex fusion place was OK. Pool bar was great, gave the fellow 200 pesos and he kept the drinks very strong and quick, nice. Only downside, i could not get a Cold Cold Beer, no matter, tap, can, bottle, nada, from every bar and room service i tried, so, I resorted to putting a few on ice in the room in the sink, it worked, however, too much work. The staff, could not do more for you, called the room, asked if we needed more champagne, anything we wanted, they were there quick. I must confess, we tipped like Gambino Soldiers, i went thru 2160 Pesos (approx 160 American Dollars) and one hundred eighty american dollars, when i ran out of pesos, it worked, we tipped all wait staff except for the chef, we tipped the mariachi band and the followed us, about 7 dudes in white with sombreros and instruments, wild, we were famous.
Tip, wtach out for the cab drivers at the airport, they charge 90 american to the resort, and when we returned to cancun airport, the charge was 45 american, stay away from cancun limo, it's a scam, i booked with them (carlos) a stretch lincoln navigator before we left the states, do not give them a credit card, be very careful, ask your travel agent or the Royal for transfers
we would def go back soon, enjoy...

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple