“Very nice hotel with great location and beach”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #12 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 February 2009

My wife and I visited the Royal for one week strating Feb 12th. We arrived early and had a Ocean front suite. The room was not ready till check in at 3:00 but that was OK. The hotel itself is beutiful. The architecture is stunning. The rooms are very nice and we had a great view of the Ocean and beach. The sliding balcony doors are huge so you really get a feeling of the outdoors. I would stay away from the beach front walk out. The people above look right down on you and because of the flora and cabanas you can't see the Ocean. It appeared that all the ocean view suites are situated nice but again, I would try to get something above ground level or you views are obstructed.

General service and house keeping was "good" the consierge was not real helpfull and we where missing some items in our room from time to time. Towels etc. but a call to house keeping produced quick results. The rooms are very nice. Bose suround sound with 32" flat screen and a docking station for a ipod. You can get an ipod with your room at certain levels. Bathrooms are spacious with nice tile work. Room service was great and they have a little closet to put your dirty dishes in that can be accesed from the hallway so you don't have trays of dirty dishes in the hallways.

The beach is beutiful. White soft sand and it is raked and kept clean regularly. No big cemement beach bags to break the waves as I have seen on other beaches. We only saw the beach Buttler twice. Once with cold towels and once with frozen grapes. No big deal but if you promote something you should deliver. The waitresses came fairly often. A small tip kept them coming more regular.

The food is good to great. I would not say exellent but then we are kinda food snobs. The service at the restaurants was very good. The food was hot and deliverd quickly. The buffet at Spice is very nice. All the resterants are very nicely decorated and compfortable.

All and all a very nice place in a nice spot.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank softtail07

Reviewed 22 February 2009

We stayed at the Royal for a week in February along with a group of fellow business people from Ontario. We found the staff to be exceptionally friendly and helpful. Language was not an issue with our Spanish being rudimentary at best. The rooms were wonderful with lots of marble, a pillow menu, nice linens, lots of towels and excellent service by the maids. There were several restaurants on site and only one required advance reservations as this was an all inclusive resort. Although the hotel was full, we didn't have any problem getting a table. The food was well above average along with the service. The hotel is situated in the village of Playa del Carmen which is a big plus. We were a short walk from interesting shops and pleasant sidewalk cafe's. Check in/check out was seamless. My one complaint which applies to most resorts is the competition to reserve a beach chair. Surely someone can come up with a better system. Place a towel or personal item on a chair at some ungodly hour and it's yours for the day whether you are using it or not! Loved the loaded Ipods and Bose sound system in the room which I believe is a slight upgrade. We loved the hotel and the area and would go back.

• Stayed: February 2009
6  Thank AshRoad
Reviewed 22 February 2009

My husband and I just got back from a week at the Royal.
We have so many positive things to share. Right away we were treated like "royalty". Veronique took excellent care of us as she
knew we were celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary.
When we got to our room after a short wait it was a truly amazing
welcome.
Our bed was decorated with a huge heart of rose petals and two
swan towel mates. We also received a lovely bottle of wine, some
cake and a bowl of fresh fruit.
From here for the rest of the week it was an amazing time.
Alex and Rosario on the Entertainment committee kept us up to
date of all the great activities and continually were extremely friendly
with us each day.
By the pool Elizabeth kept our drinks fresh and always had a huge
smile for us.
We met many people here from the states and England.
Maria Marias does not require reservations anymore, so we enjoyed
eating there several times. ( the warm cake is lovely, but order
at the beginning of your meal in order to have time to have it heated.)
The Captain's Plate was a nice addition but they have cut back on
space so you need to make reservations here for sure.
Spices and Pelicanos are good old "standby" places to eat and
most reliable.
The staff at this hotel went above and beyond anything we have
ever experienced before.
We will return for sure.
Kudos to all!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank loverlytravel
Reviewed 21 February 2009

My husband and I travel to Mexico with 3 other couples yearly and stayed at the Royal 2 years ago. This year our trip was really disappointing. We arrived on Valentine's and were quickly pulled away from the main desk in the front lobby to a small desk with 2 chairs - there were 8 of us. They didn't even ask if we wanted a tour, just assigned our rooms, which weren't ready and given room keys. They let us go into a small room to change into our suits and we hit the pool. One of the girls was a little loopy so she went to her room to lie down. When she felt sick she went into the bathroom and bent over the toilet at which time the normally stationary glass shower panel came out and landed on top of her. She suffered some dark bruising around her chin, neck and chest and had pain on her head and back from the glass hitting her. Her hubby called the front desk but they did nothing! After waiting almost 2 hours she called down and they sent up a conciege a doctor and several repairmen. Long story short they didn't refund her anything or even make an attempt. She works for a large law firm here at home so I'm sure she'll have the final say. I'm sure I would do the same.
Service at the main buffet (Spice) was horrible: never received beverages, silverware, staff can speak very little English, if any at all. At the bar I asked for a glass of ice and the bartender pored me a Crown on ice. I went to Spazul with one of the girls where I got a massage and she got a mani/pedi. The massage was nice but a little tough on tender areas and didn't really get anything to address the neck pain I was having. Although I have to say, I forgot my necklace and bracelet in the room and when I returned for it a few minutes later it was already bagged and secured in a small envelope. Again, the spa staff spoke very little, broken English. The manicurist said they are required to attend English classes weekly. Some staff members were very rude at times. We often felt ignored. They also offered very few activities other than water arobics. Not for the young at heart!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2009

I stayed at the Royal just as it was getting its 5 diamond reward. The rooms, staff, pool, beach and food are out of this world - really. I almost felt guilty staying there. HOWEVER, we did have some complaints about our stay. First of all, make sure you don't get a roadside room. It is incredibly noisy at night with buses and people coming and going. We were kept up for 3 nights (Thursday night, Friday night and Saturday night) with late night and early morning drunks. If the hotel could get the local security or police to get these loud drunks to "move along" it would have been fine. Secondly, in our section of the hotel, we never had hot water after 10pm at night, which is ironic, since I work for a boiler and water heater company!!! This fact alone, to me, does not justify their 5 diamond award (especially since I was not offered an upgrade, apology nor was the problem fixed). It's a great resort, but if you want hot water and peace and quiet, you may want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank BizFamTraveller
Reviewed 20 February 2009

This was our first time to Playa Del Carmen, and when we arrived at the Royal, we were greeted with a cold glass of champagne and excellent service. Edwardo and Martin helped us to our Beachfront/walkout room and were very warm and kind answering all of our questions. The night we arrived we fell alseep outside on our beach cabana. When we went into our room we had left his wallet ouside in the sand. At 4:00 am we got a call telling us an emplyee had found our wallet. We had $600.00 cash and credits cards in the wallet and everything was still there when we got the wallet back. Our entire experience at The Royal was amazing. Edwardo made sure we had everything we needed the whole time we were there. Alexis took great care of us by the pool, and the cocktail waitresses were fantastic! We would recommend this resort to everyone.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
8  Thank kc212
Reviewed 19 February 2009

We would like to share our experience at the Royal Playa del Carmen. Overall, the resort, its amenities, and food were excellent. My husband and I stayed at the resort for two weeks in Feb-Mar of 2008.
We were impressed by our concierge designate Mr. Fernando Camacho who took care of us when we initially arrived at the resort. We were greeted exceptionally well, Fernando arranged to have sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries for my husband and I as it was a trip for our 4th wedding anniversary. Fernando recommended great locations to visit during the day and for a night out on the town. We were very grateful for his information and recommendations.
We would highly recommend this resort to anyone, the money is well worth it. We thought we might have gotten bored for two weeks but not at all. There is always a lot do, to eat and enjoy. The Buffet and A la cart restaurants were all great. The Gym and spa were well maintained. One note though there is a place called Veronica's just off 5th Ave., great massages at half the price. Hotel service (including front desk, waiters, and 24 hrs room service) throughout the resort was always excellent. Our Room was always cleaned in timely manner and the bed was always decorated with flowers and chocolate. Turn down service was always done for the entire stay.
There is alot to do. Did a day trip into Cancun using the white vans which are like taxis cost approx. $3 each and visited the sister Royal in Cancun about 45 min ride. Very nice hotel. However, there is very little beach maybe 20 to 30 ft. We did use their services there as we were told we could and the service was just as good.
We also went to Chichen Itza amazing!! would highly recommend this day trip. You also get to visit a Cenote and go swimming in it.

Overall the Royal in Playa del Carmen is great place to stay and we cannot wait to return!!!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple