“Amazing honeymoon, can't wait to go back!”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #12 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 August 2009

My husband and I stayed at The Royal PDC for 7 nights for our honeymoon. We chose it based on what we read on here. We had thought it was the best based on what we read, however we were very surprised with how great it really was. The reviews on here don't do it justice. I first must say that the service here is the best we have ever received, our expectations were far exceded. When we arrived we were greeted with mojitos and quickly checked in and taken to our room. The resort is beautiful and our room was even better than the pictures. All the restraunts were great, however we did have a few favs. Spice and room service was the best for breakfast, lunch was tacos at Tapas, Pelicanos or Asiana. Dinner was definitely Marie Maries and Chefs Plate (however it does take a long time to eat there, many courses). The pool temp was perfect. We were scared that it would be too cold because of reviews we have read, but we hung out in the pool for a long time and did not get cold. The pool temp may just depend on the time of year and weather, i am not sure if it is actually heated. The beach and ocean were AMAZING!!! just be aware of the rocks in the ocean that span from the pier to the middle of the Royal's beach. Get in the ocean on the left side of the beach to avoid them. We made a recommendations for a sign up to warn people of the rocks, well see if they do it. That was our only complaint. The drink/frozen towel/suntan lotion/frozen grape service on the beach and at the pool is absolutly amazing. There was someone there every 5 min to make sure you were perfect. My husband and I dont' drink much, so we were happy that the frozen drinks werent very strong, however when you requested a strong drink, there were happy to make it for you. They made our honeymoon very special in our room. There were different occasions were our room was full of rose petals and our last night we came home from dinner to a full warm jacuzzi with rose petals.
we got a couples massage by the beach which was very relaxing with the breeze and the waves. I enjoyed my relax massage very much but my husband was not totally happy with his deep tissue massage. He familiar with what a good deep tissue massage feels like since that is what he usually gets, but this one was subpar.
The hotel supplies you with plenty of bottled water in your room and you are safe with drinking the water and ice in all the restaurants. DO NOT get any of the water from the sink or shower in your mouth or on your toothbrush and you should be fine.
All in all, we highly recommend this place. We dont understand how anyone could give it a bad review.

4  Thank collinstravels
Write a ReviewReviews (16,640)

Reviewed 23 August 2009

This was my first trip to Mexico. I had a spare week and decided to do something different, and am I glad I did!!

I don't know where exactly the people who wrote bad reviews about the Royal stayed, I suppose it's all about expectations - I like to keep an open mind. I also experienced some power cuts and, as one reviewer said, the fridge stopped. Well.........it was an inconvenience but not the hotel's fault, apparently all of Playa was affected during an upgrade of power lines etc..

If you want an hotel with young families in mind, discos and loud entertainment, then go elsewhere. The Royal in Playa del Carmen is one of the best comfortably quiet hotels I have stayed in ( and I have stayed in a few ).

My room was outstanding; jacuzzi bath, efficient air conditioning and a fan, fully stocked mini bar and optics, kingsize bed, coffee maker in fact all they say will be there, is. The only aspect they don't tell you about is the one they really should not leave out.....the staff cannot do enough for you, are friendly and helpful and I only wish I could remember all their names - too many people, not enough paper!!

The people I do remember most are probably those most guests want to forget about, the Real Club staff. Hi to Alex, a lovely lady on the front end soon to be married to Martin also working there. Rocio, the young lady who took me for breakfast and the tour and finally Chris the salesman with whom I negotiated my contract. All good friendly people ( not just after your money ).

Restaurants are amazing too, clean and well manned, even the buffet food is different each time and the a la carte in all the others is magnificent.

Nice long pool and grounds, beach a bit rocky in the water but a good place to go for a walk to Playacar or to the ferry to Cozumel.

All in all a great place to stay, so much so that I'm planning to return for Christmas and New Year (if they'll have me )!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
5  Thank stress_doubt-no-more
Reviewed 22 August 2009

We travel often but seldom on vacation. This was the most stress free holiday I have ever experienced. There was nothing the staff could have done to improve their service, it was impeccible!

3  Thank diquane
Reviewed 21 August 2009

This place is magical. The food, people, service, location, the hotel. From the time we arrived we had a fantastic time. The hotel is truly 5star and I am delighted they finally got their 5 star diamond award. They truly deserve it. One fault I would say is that we spent 90mins which we agreed to spend talking to a employee about becoming a Real Club member. I don't think we knew what we were letting ourselves in for. It was so boring to us and I do feel they were a bit annoyed when we refused to become a member at the end of it even though they said they were not. The beach is beautiful and the hotel is divine. The decor of the rooms are a bit old fashioned but I would 100% reccomend this hotel for a luxurious honeymoon

3  Thank paint0012
Reviewed 20 August 2009

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon at the Royal PDC from August 10th thru the 16th. From the moment we arrived, the staff immediately started taking care of everything for us - they stored our luggage and escorted us to our concierge where we got a map of the hotel and a brief synopsis of the services offered at the hotel. We also got to choose the times for our maid to clean the room and the times for turn down service. Knowing exactly when the maid would be in our room really made planning our day easier. We had done the online check-in before arriving, and we got the exact room that we chose.

The room was great! It was very clean, and they had sparkling wine, wine glasses, and a cake that said "Happy Honeymoon" waiting on us! The bed was good - not uncomfortable at all, but it didn't seem to be as great as I had read in some other reviews. They have six pillows for you to choose from which was great because I'm very picky about my pillows. The TV has several english channels and you can also borrow DVDs from the Business Center to watch. The rooms have an in room safe that you lock and open using a 4 digit code that you create. Our maid was FANTASTIC!! Guadalupe was our maid and she cleaned our room twice a day leaving nothing for us to ever have to worry with. It was great!

We laid by the pool everyday, and we never wanted for anything because a waitress was coming by every few minutes to see if we'd like anything from the bar. They also have a Pool Butler and Beach Butler that have books and sunscreen for you to use, and they hand out cold towels and frozen grapes. Just watch out because they also spray you down with cool water when you're not looking!! They have a lot of fun with it, and it's hilarious!

The food at the resort is our second favorite part of this resort after the amazing staff. Our favorite things were breakfast at Pelicano's (the beachside restaurant), the cheeseburger from room service, the create-your-own pasta from Spice, and the sushi from Asiana. The 24 hour lounge was great too. They never had a huge selection, but it was a great place to go to get a drink and a snack and play some pool or ping pong.

The poolside entertainment is fantastic! They always have something going on - whether its water aerobics or volleyball games or dance lessons. The night entertainment is ok. We didn't stay for more than 5 minutes of any of the nightly shows, but we would always hang out at the lobby bar up until the show would start. The waitresses at the lobby bar are great! You never get completely done with a drink before they are offering you another drink!

This resort is fantastic! The staff make your vacation more than you could ever expect! If you plan on going here, make sure that you take some dollars with you. Even though its all inclusive, the staff will wow you so often that you will want to tip them!!

5  Thank TNTraveler08
Reviewed 20 August 2009

The kids surprised us with a stay at this resort for our 40th. anniversary and their choice has become ours for future visits to the area!
Facilities are of world standard, but the staff makes the difference.
The selection, training and ongoing support of management gives a particular tone to the level of service. From Veronique Fincken (pampered and spoiled us!) to the Somelier(impressive knowledge!) from Zulema (managed our room!) to Daniela (morning smile!) and all that we came in contact with, CONGRATULATIONS! jOB WELL DONE.
The pool facilities are well designed and maintained, unfortunately we are not pool people so the beach is where we spend most of our day, and this is where the problem with this resort lays. Half of the available beach bottom is wall to wall sharp rocks! Can't go there! On the North side you have the constant going and coming of "wave runners" or see scooters. The exhaust fumes, noise and total disregard for anyone swimming just past the line, makes this side of the beach a place to avoid ! So wher to go?
I approached the fellow "in charge" of this traffic and he informed me to take it up with the hotel. I am fluent in Spanish. I understood correctly.
Overall, our stay was memorable. Our kids chose well and we will consider coming back when returning to the Yucatan.

2  Thank Enrimar
Reviewed 20 August 2009

I just got back from Royal Playa del Carmen with my parents and sister. This was by far the BEST family vacaction EVER!!! We have been to 2 all inclusives in Punta Cana which were also great (Melia & Riu) but this hotel is by far the most elegant!!!!!!!
Beach- the beach was gorgeous! Only negative is that there is a few rocky spots so you just have to walk down to the left. However, the service on the beach is UNBELIEVABLE!! Alexis, the beach butler, is the BEST!!! He put your towels down for you, saves chairs and best of all- comes around spraying you with cold water, offering you cold towels and frozen grapes!! The one day that he was off the service was not the same!! Thanks Alexis!!!
Pool- looked beautiful but my family LOVES the beach so we didn't even go in the pool once!
Room- GORGEOUS and huge!!! All four of us- me and my sister (24 and 25) and our parents- were in one room and there was plenty of room!!
Liquor- top shelf!! My dad had a bottle of cabernet sauvignon every day!
Food- AMAZING!! My father is from Italy and VERY picky and absolutely loved the food! The fish (except for the halibut in Marie Marie) and the meat (steak, chicken, veal chop at Marie Marie) were all soooo good and the best quality! The service was equally as incredible especially Lucas, Chan, Machin, and really everyone at Pelicanos, even the manager Phillipe! The staff is so great and accomodating- anything you want, they make it happen. One day I wasn't feeling well and the chef of Pelicanos came out and specially made me boiled rice!!!Here's a little tip about the resutrants:
MarieMarie- awesome selection and food, especially the beef enchiladas and the chocolate shouffle! Went here three times!!
Pelicanos- great for breakfast and lunch- a la carte!!!! This was great because we are not fans of buffets!
Tapas- the tacos are amazing and so is the fish- the calamari, octupus and scallops!!!
Chef's Plate- best steak ever! Make sure to check the menu because you have no choice and each day is a different meal. Our waiter, Machin, was great and went off the menu to get my dad a salad that he wanted and chocalate souffle for the rest of us!!
Asiana- good but had a stomach ache the next day b/c not used to eating Thai food!
Spice- great breakfast buffet including crepes (peanut butter & nutella!!!!! or anything you want) pancakes, french toast, etc. Not a fan of the buffet for lunch and dinner- never went there.
Location- this hotel has the BEST location- only steps away from 5th Avenue! You really feel like you are in Mexico, which is great! Definelty go to Coco Bongo- amazing! Even better than the coco Bongo in Cancun! We brought our Mom and she can't stop talking about what a great time she had and how she never saw anything like that!
Overall, we absolutely loved this hotel! It is not only beautiful and classy but it also has the KINDEST and MOST accomodating staff we have ever met!!!! Thanks to everyone for making our stay such a memorable one! Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: August 2009