“highly recommended”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #12 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 August 2009

We just returned from a girls trip to Playa Del Carmen and this hotel far exceeded my expectations of an all-inclusive resort. I was a huge critic of AIs because I like to experience the local culture of the destination and don't feel that you typically see the "real" destination within a resort, but with the Royal being so close to 5th Avenue you don't feel "stuck" in the hotel like with most AI resorts far away from everything. The location is perfect for venturing out or just relaxing on the beach or by the pool.

Our room was fantastic and much larger than expected for their "basic" room (not so basic, as it was a Junior Suite with a foyer, nice size vanity area, separate bathroom with a sink and tile shower, 2 double beds, a huge jacuzzi en suite, a chaise, bistro size table, and entertainment amoire). I have to say that the in-room liquor dispenser and mini room service door were both novel ideas as well. :-)

The pool was nice and cool (unlike a resort I recently stayed at where the water was not even refreshing) and it was never difficult to get a chair. If you wanted to get a chair up close to the beach and bar you did have to get there early to stake your claim, but that's expected. The good news is that even if you're not close to the bar the pool service ladies will take good care of you! Liz was fanastic and such a sweetheart. She would occassionally bring us different drinks to try that she thought we might like, and also didn't mind bringing us bags of beer on ice (I swear no beer in the Caribbean or Mexico is cold enough for me so we brought a small soft cooler). Alexis, the beach butler, was also very kind and friendly. He brought us cold towels and sprayed us down with water as well--nice touch!

We did venture out of the hotel a couple times, which is a must-do. There are a ton of beach bars if you head right (past the dock) and 5th avenue is a short walk away for excellent dining, nightlife and shopping if you want to do things outside of the hotel.

Our 3rd day at the Royal we decided to venture out with Edventure Tours, which was also fantastic. We took a private tour that included Tulum, snorkeling the Dos Ojos cenote, ziplining, snorkeling with the sea turtles and snorkeling the "natural aquarium" lagoon. It was a great fun-filled day (8a-5p) for about $125 per person including entrance fees. A private tour makes all the difference in the world and is worth the extra money versus being with a huge group on a bus!!!

My last day I decided to get a massage (80 minute deep tissue for 30% off, which was $105 if you're curious about prices). The spa area was beautiful with a hot tub, cold plunge, steamroom and sauna for your use if you purchase a treatment. Lucie was my masseuse and she was AMAZING. Those little hands were powerful! :-)

Finally, I want to mention Alex up front, who was the first person who greeted us upon arrival and the person who sent us off upon departure. He was incredibly friendly and helpful....even running to get us some towels when we forgot to bring them to the front for our excursion. Please tell him hello from the 3 NC girls!

Recommendations for improvement for the hotel: Coffee service by the pool and on the beach in the morning (pots/cups) would be a great addition, extended beach service after 5PM and creme brulee on more dessert menus :-)

Overall, I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone!
Please feel free to message me if you would like any further details or recommendations!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank turnerj116
Write a ReviewReviews (16,640)

Reviewed 24 August 2009

My husband and I went to Mexico to celebrate our fith wedding anniversary. While Mexico was not our first choice, the Royal was recommended to us by our Liberty Travel agent. Wow, were we pleased with the service from the first day to our last. Our romance concierge at the Playa de Carmen, Veronique Fincken, was very attentive and knowlageable. She went out of her way to make our stay as romantic and relaxing as possible. She recommended acivities we would not have thought of and went above and beyond the call to get us seating at a particular restaurant for our anniversary dinner when they were already booked out-and she did! She checked on us throughut our stay to make sure we had everything we needed and wanted. The activities, were fun and affordable and the people were warm, friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to everyone and my husband and I intend on returning soon.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Swan04
Reviewed 24 August 2009

For anyone who enjoys the freedom and convenience of all-inclusive travel, The Royal Playa Del Carmen is the perfect destination.

The resort itself is spectacular. The lobby is open aire with no doors as you enter the lobby and no doors as you exit out the back towards the pools and ocean. This seems to add to its grandeur. In addition to that, with its stain glass ceilng and marble floors, it is truly spectacular.

I stayed in a "junior ocean-view suite". The huge room is luxurious and palatial, with marble floors, terrazzo and marble vanities, carved columns, and the bed is draped by a tie-back swag. The room also has a raised, two person jacuzzi - mine was right by the glass doors with an awesome view of the pools and ocean. The glass enclosed shower was large, with modern fixtures.

The room also has a "Magic Box". This is an in-wall cabinet with easy access from the hall and your room. When ordering room service, you can ask for it to be placed in the "Magic Box". When room service is delivered, a light comes on. Without having to answer the door, you can access the food from inside the room. Clean up is as easy. When done, place everything back in the "Magic Box" and turn on the light.

The beauty of this all-inclusive resort, however, is the "Magic Bracelet". Fitted with it upon arrival, it is your "Keys to the Kingdom". Depending on the package youpurchase, the "Magic Bracelet" can entitle the wearer to any of the fabulous restaurants, all beverages - alcoholic and none- the in-room mini bar, access to the resorts 24 hour snacks, drinks and game room, and access to the full bottles of alcoholis beverages that are in a special cabinet in the room. The "Magic Bracelet" is as magical at restaurants sister-properties. You won't go hungry. Not only is the food included, it is also fabulous. No Tex-Mex here, it's cuisine.

The property sits on a beautiful beach, tucked away from the world behind dense tropical foliage.

There is a wonderful spa - SPA-zul - on property, the pools are beautiful, and inviting, with swim up bars, lounge chairs sitting in the water, and views of the turquoise blue ocean beyond. The white-powder sanded beach is perfect.

There is also plenty to do in the area, including snorkeling. scuba, bike riding, horse riding and sightseeing at local archeological sites including Tulum and Chichen Itza.

This resort is for adults 16 years of age and older. However, three other properties - Gran Caribe Real, Gran Caribe Real Cancun and Gran Porto Real are family-friendly.

Read more about this resort and its sister property, Royal in Cancun - with some terrific photography- at www.DestinationsTravelMagazine.com

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank TravelWriter2
Reviewed 23 August 2009

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon and to sum it up....the resort FAR exceeded our expectations!

Room: We stayed in the Junior Suite with an ocean view. The room was excellent! Had a nice view of the ocean, had a great balcony with a hammock, had a phenomenal jacuzzi tub (for two!), had an amazing bed and roomy bathroom/vanity area. I loved that we had a personal safe in the room for our vital belongings when we were on an outting, eating or at the pool and/or beach. The room was clean and romantic!!

Food: You didn't need to step foot off this resort property to find fabulous food!! My husband and I were pleasantly surprised at the taste and quality at all the restaurants. Asiana was our absolute favorite....try the sushi and won-ton soup!! Yum!! You will not once be disappointed in the restaurant selections and dishes.

Drinks: I drank....hmmm....maybe SEVEN pina coladas and I didn't feel a thing! The drinks around the pool and at the pool bars are NOT strong nor do they have much alcohol in them. The drinks from the inside bar had plenty of alcohol in them....so big difference where you order your drink from! But, the waitresses are friendly and they do keep the drinks coming all day long. Make sure to tip them though....they work hard all day in the sun wearing shirts and pants. Poor things.

Area outtings and attractions: Definitely take the stroll down 5th Avenue!! Location of this resort was awesome due to the proximity to the shopping and nightlife of Playa. You'll encounter many eager vendors....and don't let them get to you when they flirt heavily with you just to get you into their shop. Just keep on walkin'!

Day Trips: We went on two trips....swimming with the dolphins in Xcarat and a 1/2 day trip to Tulum. If you can, swim with the dolphins....a MUST do! It was an amazing experience! Just bring money with you....photos and videos available of you and your spouse swimming with the dolphins. We bought the video and we are glad we did. Tulum......eh......HOT as heck.....no shade.....I didn't enjoy myself. Seeing the ruins was okay....but the tour guides keep on talking and talking and talking....and you're standing in the HOT sun sweating your butt off! I'd say skip Tulum and go to the other place...Chizta Nitza (sp?). But, go on a cloudy day!!!

Things of know........The beach next to the resort is a public beach....and it is also a topless beach. If you're into that, it's steps away from The Royal's beach. Lots of different sized women walking around with no tops. Interesting. The resort also has a very energetic pool staff that play fun games each day at the pool. They don't bother you unless you're willing to participate and it's not overwhelming to listen to if you want to relax in the sun. So, stay at the resort and enjoy the fun.....topless beach or not! :)

All in all.....my husband and I were SO sad to leave!!! We want to go back for our 5 year anniversary. We can't wait!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BoSox30
Reviewed 23 August 2009

My husband and I stayed at The Royal PDC for 7 nights for our honeymoon. We chose it based on what we read on here. We had thought it was the best based on what we read, however we were very surprised with how great it really was. The reviews on here don't do it justice. I first must say that the service here is the best we have ever received, our expectations were far exceded. When we arrived we were greeted with mojitos and quickly checked in and taken to our room. The resort is beautiful and our room was even better than the pictures. All the restraunts were great, however we did have a few favs. Spice and room service was the best for breakfast, lunch was tacos at Tapas, Pelicanos or Asiana. Dinner was definitely Marie Maries and Chefs Plate (however it does take a long time to eat there, many courses). The pool temp was perfect. We were scared that it would be too cold because of reviews we have read, but we hung out in the pool for a long time and did not get cold. The pool temp may just depend on the time of year and weather, i am not sure if it is actually heated. The beach and ocean were AMAZING!!! just be aware of the rocks in the ocean that span from the pier to the middle of the Royal's beach. Get in the ocean on the left side of the beach to avoid them. We made a recommendations for a sign up to warn people of the rocks, well see if they do it. That was our only complaint. The drink/frozen towel/suntan lotion/frozen grape service on the beach and at the pool is absolutly amazing. There was someone there every 5 min to make sure you were perfect. My husband and I dont' drink much, so we were happy that the frozen drinks werent very strong, however when you requested a strong drink, there were happy to make it for you. They made our honeymoon very special in our room. There were different occasions were our room was full of rose petals and our last night we came home from dinner to a full warm jacuzzi with rose petals.
we got a couples massage by the beach which was very relaxing with the breeze and the waves. I enjoyed my relax massage very much but my husband was not totally happy with his deep tissue massage. He familiar with what a good deep tissue massage feels like since that is what he usually gets, but this one was subpar.
The hotel supplies you with plenty of bottled water in your room and you are safe with drinking the water and ice in all the restaurants. DO NOT get any of the water from the sink or shower in your mouth or on your toothbrush and you should be fine.
All in all, we highly recommend this place. We dont understand how anyone could give it a bad review.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank collinstravels
Reviewed 23 August 2009

This was my first trip to Mexico. I had a spare week and decided to do something different, and am I glad I did!!

I don't know where exactly the people who wrote bad reviews about the Royal stayed, I suppose it's all about expectations - I like to keep an open mind. I also experienced some power cuts and, as one reviewer said, the fridge stopped. Well.........it was an inconvenience but not the hotel's fault, apparently all of Playa was affected during an upgrade of power lines etc..

If you want an hotel with young families in mind, discos and loud entertainment, then go elsewhere. The Royal in Playa del Carmen is one of the best comfortably quiet hotels I have stayed in ( and I have stayed in a few ).

My room was outstanding; jacuzzi bath, efficient air conditioning and a fan, fully stocked mini bar and optics, kingsize bed, coffee maker in fact all they say will be there, is. The only aspect they don't tell you about is the one they really should not leave out.....the staff cannot do enough for you, are friendly and helpful and I only wish I could remember all their names - too many people, not enough paper!!

The people I do remember most are probably those most guests want to forget about, the Real Club staff. Hi to Alex, a lovely lady on the front end soon to be married to Martin also working there. Rocio, the young lady who took me for breakfast and the tour and finally Chris the salesman with whom I negotiated my contract. All good friendly people ( not just after your money ).

Restaurants are amazing too, clean and well manned, even the buffet food is different each time and the a la carte in all the others is magnificent.

Nice long pool and grounds, beach a bit rocky in the water but a good place to go for a walk to Playacar or to the ferry to Cozumel.

All in all a great place to stay, so much so that I'm planning to return for Christmas and New Year (if they'll have me )!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
5  Thank stress_doubt-no-more
Reviewed 22 August 2009

We travel often but seldom on vacation. This was the most stress free holiday I have ever experienced. There was nothing the staff could have done to improve their service, it was impeccible!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple