We just returned from a girls trip to Playa Del Carmen and this hotel far exceeded my expectations of an all-inclusive resort. I was a huge critic of AIs because I like to experience the local culture of the destination and don't feel that you typically see the "real" destination within a resort, but with the Royal being so close to 5th Avenue you don't feel "stuck" in the hotel like with most AI resorts far away from everything. The location is perfect for venturing out or just relaxing on the beach or by the pool.
Our room was fantastic and much larger than expected for their "basic" room (not so basic, as it was a Junior Suite with a foyer, nice size vanity area, separate bathroom with a sink and tile shower, 2 double beds, a huge jacuzzi en suite, a chaise, bistro size table, and entertainment amoire). I have to say that the in-room liquor dispenser and mini room service door were both novel ideas as well. :-)
The pool was nice and cool (unlike a resort I recently stayed at where the water was not even refreshing) and it was never difficult to get a chair. If you wanted to get a chair up close to the beach and bar you did have to get there early to stake your claim, but that's expected. The good news is that even if you're not close to the bar the pool service ladies will take good care of you! Liz was fanastic and such a sweetheart. She would occassionally bring us different drinks to try that she thought we might like, and also didn't mind bringing us bags of beer on ice (I swear no beer in the Caribbean or Mexico is cold enough for me so we brought a small soft cooler). Alexis, the beach butler, was also very kind and friendly. He brought us cold towels and sprayed us down with water as well--nice touch!
We did venture out of the hotel a couple times, which is a must-do. There are a ton of beach bars if you head right (past the dock) and 5th avenue is a short walk away for excellent dining, nightlife and shopping if you want to do things outside of the hotel.
Our 3rd day at the Royal we decided to venture out with Edventure Tours, which was also fantastic. We took a private tour that included Tulum, snorkeling the Dos Ojos cenote, ziplining, snorkeling with the sea turtles and snorkeling the "natural aquarium" lagoon. It was a great fun-filled day (8a-5p) for about $125 per person including entrance fees. A private tour makes all the difference in the world and is worth the extra money versus being with a huge group on a bus!!!
My last day I decided to get a massage (80 minute deep tissue for 30% off, which was $105 if you're curious about prices). The spa area was beautiful with a hot tub, cold plunge, steamroom and sauna for your use if you purchase a treatment. Lucie was my masseuse and she was AMAZING. Those little hands were powerful! :-)
Finally, I want to mention Alex up front, who was the first person who greeted us upon arrival and the person who sent us off upon departure. He was incredibly friendly and helpful....even running to get us some towels when we forgot to bring them to the front for our excursion. Please tell him hello from the 3 NC girls!
Recommendations for improvement for the hotel: Coffee service by the pool and on the beach in the morning (pots/cups) would be a great addition, extended beach service after 5PM and creme brulee on more dessert menus :-)
Overall, I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone!
Please feel free to message me if you would like any further details or recommendations!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Along the powdery white sands of the Caribbean, The Royal welcomes guests to a world of all-inclusive luxuries exclusively for adults. Situated on the Riviera Maya just steps from Playa del Carmen's famous Fifth Avenue, the AAA Four-Diamond resort boasts all-suite accommodations with private balconies and spectacular views, plus special options such as swim-up suites and beachfront walkouts. From beach butlers to romance concierges, the attentive staff provides genuine hospitality at every turn as guests enjoy the luxurious spa, exquisite cuisine, natural beauty, and many other delights of The Royal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Holiday Gems, TravelUp, Prestigia, Agoda, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Ebookers so you can book your The Royal Playa del Carmen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Porto Real
- Royal Playa De Carmen
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Mexico/Riviera Maya