“Not worth the money!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
nc
“Not worth the money!”
Reviewed 1 September 2009

Let me begin by saying we have stayed across the street from the Royal, at the Porto Real, for the last few years. We try to visit the Porto 3-4 times per year. We thought we would try the Royal this trip.
Big mistake! First, we thought since we had stayed at their sister hotel, the Porto, we would get a little better treatment.
Our first room was full of mosquitos, at the far side of the hotel with absolutely no view. The jacuzzi would not drain, the toilet, also, would not drain. Yuck!
They did move us to a better room when we complained. The second room was on the side of the street with a terrace and a slight view of the water. Much better than the first.
Food. Well, not the best. Kind of plain, no taste, nothing to brag about. You can get much better food across the street at the Porto. Much nicer staff, too! They remember your name and remember what you like to eat! We love those guys!
To get decent service, you must tip, tip, tip. We sat in the lounge for over an hour with no service. We finally went to the bar and ordered our own drinks. Not a problem, but for the prices they charge, I at least would like a little attention. Again, go across the street to the Porto. Not as fancy, but still beautiful. The staff will even remember what you like to drink. They are always asking you if you would like a drink, whether you tip or not. The Royal, good luck. NO SERVICE! I sat on the beach all day the second day, and NOT ONCE did anyone come by to take an order. I had my little flag up all day, but nothing. Where are the cool towels, frozen grapes, etc. they promised. I never saw anything!!!!
Ok. To the person whose genius idea was to have kabobs on the beach.... BAD IDEA! First full day, lounging on the beach. Oh, and where is the food on the beach at the Royal? Never found it. The Porto has it right on the beach. Anyway, when walking in the sand at the Royal and the Porto, ALWAYS WEAR SHOES, THONGS, OR SANDALS IN THE SAND!!!! Yes, I stepped on a wooden kabob stick and it went right up into my foot. OUCH!! I hobbled up to the towel stand and asked if they had any kind of first aid. They looked at me like i was crazy, until i waved my bloody napkin. The lifeguard came, cleaned my foot with betadine, rinsed it with peroxide, put a band aid on it and was done. No doctor, no one bothered to check on it later, NOTHING! Not even an I'm sorry! I thought this was really poor of them to not even acknowledge me getting hurt.
If you want the most for your money, stay across the street at the Gran Porto Real. Not as fancy, not near as expensive, but beautiful. The best service for your money.
Oh, and don't let them sucker you into going on the "tour". It is to push a time share on you. Just tell them you took it last time and you are not interested. They'll hit you up every time you walk by, but just smile and keep walking.
If you want a message, go to 5th. Much cheaper and just as good.
Couldn't recommend the Royal to anyone, but we will still go to the Gran Porto.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank luvtravln2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,111)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sdukich
Reviewed 31 August 2009

The Royal. The name says it all. We were treated like Royalty the minutes we stepped out of the Cancuun Airport. Our shuttle accomodations to the hotel were great and when we arrived we were greeted and seated in air conditioned room with a cold drink and ice cold towel to cool us. We were then briefed on all the restaraunts and activites the resort had to offer. After that we were escorted to your beautiful room with a bed covered in rose petals with a bottle of champagne! It was so romantic! Our room was so immaculate and clean! Beautiful view of the pool and ocean. The room was always at a perfect temperature and the room service was excellent. From the food to the turn down service to the daily cleanings! The staff was as lovely as can be. So friendly and always willing to do anything for you. They truly love their jobs and it shows. Never a bad meal or service! Amazing, Amazing, Amazing! If Mexico is your destination, this is by far the only place to stay! You will not be disappointed! Our last night we walked into our room with candles lit and a fully drawn jacuzzi tub with rose petals! What a way to end our trip!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Sdukich
Texas
Reviewed 31 August 2009

My husband and I came here for our honeymoon. As soon as we walked in the door, we were greeted with drinks and they also upgraded us to the presidential suite because it was our honeymoon. The food was great-we especially liked Asiana for the sushi. It was the best customer service I have ever had. The rooms were always cleaned to perfection. The location was great, just minutes from downtown and nightlife. The spa was AMAZING! We had the best time!

Alex from the entertainment staff rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Thank buttrfly168
new york state
Reviewed 31 August 2009

My wife and I decided to honeymoon at the royal and what a great choice. We are a same sex couple and had no problems what so ever. The resort was clean and we were treated like royalty. We stayed 5 nights and we wish we had booked for a longer stay. We both got a couples massage and returned to our room and found rose pedals on the bed and around the jaquzzi. 24 hr room service was amazing.

3 Thank absolootmuzic
Oklahoma
Reviewed 31 August 2009

My husband and I were here celebrating our anniversary. When we arrived, our room was decorated with towel art and rose petals and we had a fruit basket waiting on us along with champange and a small cake. We stayed in room 531, which was an ocean front room. Great views of the ocean and pool. The staff was wonderful. We met Fernando when we arrived and he was the BEST!! He helped us each and every time we had a question or needed help with something. Never too busy. We always tipped, whether it was room service, service at the beach, restaurants, mini bar stocker or housekeeping. Our last night we came back to a room that had been decorated, jacuzzi tub filled with water and rose petals, bed with towel art and rose petals. We also got a plate with a sampling of deserts on it. We only ate room service, spice and Maria Marias. as we were just too exhausted each night to get dressed up for a nice meal. Maria Marias is really nice and has really good food, just not much of it. Spice was okay. Somewhat hot in the restaurant. I'm a picky eater so I had a few problems finding things to eat. We ate at the 24 hour game room quite often, which was pretty good and relaxing at the same time. Very convenient to 5th avenue. All of the staff always wore smiles and gave you a hola as you were passing them by. Overall, this is a really nice resort and I would recommend it to anyone.

3 Thank rysmom05
AB
Reviewed 31 August 2009

We stayed at the Royal Playa Del Carmen and all we can say is amazing, the food the staff the beach were all incredible. Service was great we would like to thank Yves for all his help and all the other staff that made our stay wonderful. We will definitley be going back next year. We noticed not many people gave tips which is a shame because the staff strive to provide excellent service and tips are a large part of their livelyhood. One thing we would recommend is have water shoes for the beach as there is big rocks but ohter than that amazing.

2 Thank Estrella10
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 30 August 2009

This is my fifth stay at the Royal. Over all, I have to give it good marks. The food and service was great. My complaints are the poor air conditioning in the Spice and Maria Maria restaurants. It was so hot we were miserable. The liquor and wines were also poor quality, The Chardonnay was absolutely horrible. They also need to get rid of the velcro on the duvets. I have to say the entertainment staff worked very hard.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends