Let me begin by saying we have stayed across the street from the Royal, at the Porto Real, for the last few years. We try to visit the Porto 3-4 times per year. We thought we would try the Royal this trip.
Big mistake! First, we thought since we had stayed at their sister hotel, the Porto, we would get a little better treatment.
Our first room was full of mosquitos, at the far side of the hotel with absolutely no view. The jacuzzi would not drain, the toilet, also, would not drain. Yuck!
They did move us to a better room when we complained. The second room was on the side of the street with a terrace and a slight view of the water. Much better than the first.
Food. Well, not the best. Kind of plain, no taste, nothing to brag about. You can get much better food across the street at the Porto. Much nicer staff, too! They remember your name and remember what you like to eat! We love those guys!
To get decent service, you must tip, tip, tip. We sat in the lounge for over an hour with no service. We finally went to the bar and ordered our own drinks. Not a problem, but for the prices they charge, I at least would like a little attention. Again, go across the street to the Porto. Not as fancy, but still beautiful. The staff will even remember what you like to drink. They are always asking you if you would like a drink, whether you tip or not. The Royal, good luck. NO SERVICE! I sat on the beach all day the second day, and NOT ONCE did anyone come by to take an order. I had my little flag up all day, but nothing. Where are the cool towels, frozen grapes, etc. they promised. I never saw anything!!!!
Ok. To the person whose genius idea was to have kabobs on the beach.... BAD IDEA! First full day, lounging on the beach. Oh, and where is the food on the beach at the Royal? Never found it. The Porto has it right on the beach. Anyway, when walking in the sand at the Royal and the Porto, ALWAYS WEAR SHOES, THONGS, OR SANDALS IN THE SAND!!!! Yes, I stepped on a wooden kabob stick and it went right up into my foot. OUCH!! I hobbled up to the towel stand and asked if they had any kind of first aid. They looked at me like i was crazy, until i waved my bloody napkin. The lifeguard came, cleaned my foot with betadine, rinsed it with peroxide, put a band aid on it and was done. No doctor, no one bothered to check on it later, NOTHING! Not even an I'm sorry! I thought this was really poor of them to not even acknowledge me getting hurt.
If you want the most for your money, stay across the street at the Gran Porto Real. Not as fancy, not near as expensive, but beautiful. The best service for your money.
Oh, and don't let them sucker you into going on the "tour". It is to push a time share on you. Just tell them you took it last time and you are not interested. They'll hit you up every time you walk by, but just smile and keep walking.
If you want a message, go to 5th. Much cheaper and just as good.
Couldn't recommend the Royal to anyone, but we will still go to the Gran Porto.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Along the powdery white sands of the Caribbean, The Royal welcomes guests to a world of all-inclusive luxuries exclusively for adults. Situated on the Riviera Maya just steps from Playa del Carmen's famous Fifth Avenue, the AAA Four-Diamond resort boasts all-suite accommodations with private balconies and spectacular views, plus special options such as swim-up suites and beachfront walkouts. From beach butlers to romance concierges, the attentive staff provides genuine hospitality at every turn as guests enjoy the luxurious spa, exquisite cuisine, natural beauty, and many other delights of The Royal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Holiday Gems, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Priceline, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Royal Playa del Carmen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Porto Real
- Royal Playa De Carmen
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Mexico/Riviera Maya