“Quite disappointed”

The Royal Playa del Carmen
Ranked #13 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 September 2010

I read most of the Trip Advisor reviews for this hotel. I thought this would be a good place for our family to stay. There were 7 of us who stayed at this hotel in August 2010 for 7 nights. The front desk reception was quite slow when we arrived. We were shown an upgraded room and my husband and I took it. My son and his wife were given a room that has 2 full size beds. The front desk person explained that someone would come to put the beds together. Well, 3 nights later their beds were still not put together! Whenever our son would call the front desk about the beds they would forward his calls to the housekeeping department. Whoever answered his call they would tell him "will be there in 5 minutes"! When I learned that their beds were still not together I went to personally talk with the manager. He said he knew about the problem and thought that someone already took care of it! No follow ups were made to insure that this was done! The excuse that was given to us was that they ran out of pads that joins the bed. My son and his wife were very patient! They finally moved them to a room with a king bed. We wasted half a day to get their stuff moved!

My other son in another room sent their laundry to get washed and did not receive it back until 4 days later! The laundry bill was over $70.00! So much for next day service! My son called everyday about their laundry but it still took them this long!

We were scheduled for a tour of the property the day after we arrived. The "tour guide" demanded that we commit 6 hours with them (for a "90 minute" presentation and tour) and was quite rude when we said we had other plans that day. We didn't think it would take that long to show us the place. Later on we found out that they were selling us time share!

I don't know what to think about this place. They were rated so high but somehow their service is not consistent.

The staff at the breakfast buffet were nice and accommodating. Mike and Tony were great! They work very hard. We left tips at our table at every place we ate at. My daughter-in-law and I enjoyed the spa while the boys went golfing. Betty was really great at the spa. I had her massage service twice! The room housekeepers were all nice and kept our rooms clean. We left them tips everyday. They worked very hard.

I'm not sure if I would recommend this place to anyone. They have some good people working for them but unfortunately they need to improve in delivering good consistent customer service.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank MikeSF654
There are newer reviews for The Royal Playa del Carmen

Reviewed 30 September 2010

This September my wife and me have a second honey moon after 22 years, meaning no kids, no sisters or anybody going with us, very nice to have a vacation alone, we decide to go to Mexico, as friends talk to us about the Royal hotel in Playa del Carmen, now been already in defferent parts of the caribbean, lets go to a different place. I'm going to be very honest in this coments about the hotel. Lets start with the facilities, very clean, very well kept, the hotel was a 60% capacity, so it was not crowded or was not a lot of people, the room very nice with a flat screen tv, and bose stereo, jacuzzi inside the room, very nice accomodations, A/C that works, mini fridge and premium liquor, all part of the package, no extra charge.
Swiming pool, in the small side, get up early to get a chair by the pool side (gets crowded early), very clean, and can not get to the swimming side of the bar except from the east side of the pool.
The beach, (and here comes the disappointment), very small, is about 150 yards long and about 40 feet wide, now from here only you can use half of it, because is red flagged due to big rocks under water, so you can no get in the water in that section, in the width of the beach you have 3 rows of beach cabanas, what is left?, almost nothing, the cabanas are very close together with your next person inches away from you, the is not much of privacy, you can listen to the convesation of the person next to you. In top of this something that really I didn't know about the place, Royal hotel is located in a city, Playa del Carmen, so the beach is public, you going to see the locals going by all the time, in that small place of the beach, you have hotel security, going by you all the time, and advicen you of not to left your camera or your belongings in top of the chairs for "just in case", there is a lot of ATV traffic, police, municipal people, lifeguards, so be very carefull when you walking, not to happy about this.
The restaurants:
Spice: buffet all day, food is OK, only one problem with the place, it has no A/C, unless you like to eat and sweat at the same time is OK.
Pelicanos: by the beach side, something to eat light, before dinner.
Asiana: oriental food, I'm not going to Mexico to eat chinese food.
Tapas: not even try it, not worth it.
Maria Marie: best place, nice steak house, recomended.
Maria's: across the street, its OK, nothing great but no too bad either.
Il Pescadore: Italian reastauant, main dish, pasta.
Bars:
Tequileria: very crowded, get early to get a chair, some of the liquor there is an extra charge.
Lobby Bar: again crowded, the drinks a very light, have to ask to get more liquor in the drinks. (and I'm a very good tipper, lol)
The web site of the Royal hotel, have a online registration, to expedite your registration it says that upon arrival, your keys are gong to be waiting for you, not true, not even try it, it's not worth it, I did it, all my information and my CC number, upon arrival, have to do it all over again, I did have proof of pre-registration, the girl not even look at it.
If I mention a name I'm going to be not fair to the people there, all very nice and pleasant, very well educated, and well manner, everybody deserved a 5 stars, from the housekeeping girls to the concierge people.
Now maybe some people are going to dissagree with me, its all OK, this is only my point of view, not to argue, it is just a comment about the place, and my personal experience.

2  Thank Tornes213
Reviewed 30 September 2010

Absolutely Beatiuful!!! Fabulous food, the presentation of the meals is breath taking!
There is something for everyone, the Chefs are amazing! Hugo,we loved you! Thanks Jorge, for the awesome privlege to dine with you at the Kitchen's Plate! We were thrilled and very thankful. The rooms are fabulous! Thanks Andrea!!! Service is top notch from the bell boys, concierge & the Royal staff! Nancy, in member services took amazing care of us! Elizabeth & Iris, thank you for everything, you three are special Ladies! The Spa, Excellente'!!! Antonio, words can not express, you are one talented Massuse! Martha, one of the best!!! My husband couldn't stop the praises! Brenda at the Chef's Plate! Sweet, took great care of us! The entertainement waz magnificant! Javier!!! You rock! Roberto, just fab! It was great meeting you, can't wait to see you again! The amenities were 5 Diamond! What you see on the website, it what you get in person, only better! Take a few excursions, well worth the money & time! Please remember to let the hotel staff book them for you, not the folks in the airport!!! Just keep walking ! There is prenty of shopping to do in town! Lots of stuff, prepare to bargin alot!

1  Thank JoelJudiMiller
Reviewed 29 September 2010

My husband and I loved it from the moment we arrived, Elvira and Jennifer checked us in,they were incredibly helpfull, evryone there from Paco,Vital, to Cheff Oscar at the Mediterranean Restaurant, to Daisy at the pool side giving us drinks that were soooo good!!! To Jonathan at the cafe who made our capuccinos every morning to perfection, to the whole entertaiment staff, soo fun and up beat!!!
The only thing I found that needed attention was a couple of the restaurants, Mari Marie,and Spice, the aircondition was not runing properly and our waitors were so hot, and so were we, there is nothing more uncomfortable than sitting down and having dinner in a hot room, hopefully they resolve this problem before we go back.

1  Thank spanamerican
Reviewed 29 September 2010

Royal,is the most amazing resort.The staff,service,cleanliness the food it was all excellent,We have stayed at a Sandals resort,which was really nice.But this resort was by far better.We recommend this to anyone,you would be crazy if you found something wrong at the Royal.The shows were great.,Adan and the others put on great entertainment.I wish I could remeber all there names the staff was awesome.If you go to Maria Marias,hope you have Mateo he is an awesome serer.We went back to have him serve us.It was a pleasure to meet him.The beach and pool are beautifull.I could go on and on but you just have to go try it,You will love it:)

1  Thank mermaidBonnie
Reviewed 29 September 2010

it was amazing. the staff were friendly and accommodating to the highest degree. the food was of a high standard and the hotel was clean, and the rooms cleaned impeccably. the best part - the pool staff. They made every day at the pool fun and Adamo and Javier did an amazing job getting the guests involved and making the days great fun. I would recommend it and cannot wait to go back! Happy and Safe Travels!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Georgi_lou
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We went for our honeymoon this September 2010. Everything was great! The resort is amazing. The rooms were beautiful! We LOVED the sports and entertainment team. Especially Javier and Roberto!!! They were so friendly and made the days and nights a blast! We thoroughly enjoyed the food and drinks at each place. Not a bad meal anywhere!

We are already planning our next trip to the Royal and have told all our friends!

Thank you for an amazing honeymoon!!! THANK YOU Javier, Roberto, Regina, Rosario, and Adan!!!