I read most of the Trip Advisor reviews for this hotel. I thought this would be a good place for our family to stay. There were 7 of us who stayed at this hotel in August 2010 for 7 nights. The front desk reception was quite slow when we arrived. We were shown an upgraded room and my husband and I took it. My son and his wife were given a room that has 2 full size beds. The front desk person explained that someone would come to put the beds together. Well, 3 nights later their beds were still not put together! Whenever our son would call the front desk about the beds they would forward his calls to the housekeeping department. Whoever answered his call they would tell him "will be there in 5 minutes"! When I learned that their beds were still not together I went to personally talk with the manager. He said he knew about the problem and thought that someone already took care of it! No follow ups were made to insure that this was done! The excuse that was given to us was that they ran out of pads that joins the bed. My son and his wife were very patient! They finally moved them to a room with a king bed. We wasted half a day to get their stuff moved!
My other son in another room sent their laundry to get washed and did not receive it back until 4 days later! The laundry bill was over $70.00! So much for next day service! My son called everyday about their laundry but it still took them this long!
We were scheduled for a tour of the property the day after we arrived. The "tour guide" demanded that we commit 6 hours with them (for a "90 minute" presentation and tour) and was quite rude when we said we had other plans that day. We didn't think it would take that long to show us the place. Later on we found out that they were selling us time share!
I don't know what to think about this place. They were rated so high but somehow their service is not consistent.
The staff at the breakfast buffet were nice and accommodating. Mike and Tony were great! They work very hard. We left tips at our table at every place we ate at. My daughter-in-law and I enjoyed the spa while the boys went golfing. Betty was really great at the spa. I had her massage service twice! The room housekeepers were all nice and kept our rooms clean. We left them tips everyday. They worked very hard.
I'm not sure if I would recommend this place to anyone. They have some good people working for them but unfortunately they need to improve in delivering good consistent customer service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Along the powdery white sands of the Caribbean, The Royal welcomes guests to a world of all-inclusive luxuries exclusively for adults. Situated on the Riviera Maya just steps from Playa del Carmen's famous Fifth Avenue, the AAA Four-Diamond resort boasts all-suite accommodations with private balconies and spectacular views, plus special options such as swim-up suites and beachfront walkouts. From beach butlers to romance concierges, the attentive staff provides genuine hospitality at every turn as guests enjoy the luxurious spa, exquisite cuisine, natural beauty, and many other delights of The Royal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Booking.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Odigeo, LoveHolidays, Travelbag, Prestigia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your The Royal Playa del Carmen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Porto Real
- Royal Playa De Carmen
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Mexico/Riviera Maya