“Illusion Boutique: great location, affordable price & good rooms”

Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels
Ranked #48 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 11 July 2012

This was our second time staying with Illusion Boutique. The staff is very friendly and welcoming. Location is central, close to ADO bus station, right next to the beach, just a short walk from Avenida Cinco, and yet the place is quiet. We booked the basic room, but got a free upgrade upon arrival to a balcony room. Booked directly through Illusion website at $59 per night.

The rooms are very spacious, clean, have no crawling bugs. We definitely enjoy the rooftop pool, which provides intimate and romantic atmosphere for couples.
Illusion provides good value for the money, comfortable beds, central location, and rooftop pool. Much better than Posada Mariposa and Aqualuna.

Room Tip: book through Illusion website
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank houliganski

Reviewed 11 July 2012

I was weary about illusion at first since everyone had asked me " why arent you doiing AI". Well I have to say I am so glad I chose this hotel. The location was perfect!!! steps from the beach and steps from the main 5th avenue. We had the terrace suite (i believe #405) which was lovely. Ocean view, large layout, It came equipped with a kitchen televsion, bathrobes and slippers. Beautiful bathroom with a double headed shower. No problems with water pressure or hot water. filtered water on each floor. Lovely towel art which was always something different everyday. the dipping pool was small but that was expected! Free beach towels and bottled water.The staff was so helpful and spoke perfect english! I would definitely stay at this hotel again. Give it a try!

Room Tip: pay cash for your stay and get a discount!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sammie W
XperienceHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2012

Dear guest,

On behalf of the entire Xperience Team, we are glad to know through your comments that you had a memorable Xperiece with us and that you reaffirmed you made the right choice!
Thank you very much for sharing your review with us and for expressing how much you enjoyed of our amenities and attentive service, this represents a motivation to keep doing our best every day. We truly hope to have the opportunity to serve you in a near future.

Warm regards,

Carolina Baca

Reviewed 8 July 2012

We had a fantastic holiday in Mexico- excellent healthy breakfest every day,nice people around, natural cosmetic with aloe vera og coconut and it was so easy go out and swim or have some shopping.I tryed Holistic massage and the Crystal Therapy and I was like new girl again.We had a feelings like to be at home- in peace and secure.We enjoyd to swim with dolphins and visited city of Chichen Itza, Tulum and Cosumel.Nice experiences only!

Dear guest,

Warm greetings from Illusion Hotel to Michigan! thank you very much for the 5 star rating and for your preference, we are so grateful to know that you enjoyed our amenities, attentive service and security until the point to feel like home. Your valuable comments encourages to continue with our mision, our guest satisfaction.

We look forward to host you very soon.

Best regards,

Carolina Baca

Reviewed 5 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel and loved the location and staff. Everybody went out of their way to ensure we had a great stay. We were there for our anniversary and upon arriving to our room they had decorated with rose petals and balloons; a great start to our anniversary vacation! The hotel is in the perfect location; a 30 second walk to either 5th avenue in one direction or the ocean in the other direction. Our room was very quiet and spacious and the air conditioning and wi-fi were fantastic. We only used the pool once but it was nice just to sit in with a drink. It is not a pool to swim in as it's only maybe two feet deep. The continental breakfast consisted of juice, coffee, bread, yogurt and fruit. It was enough for us and very good. Overall we loved this hotel and would definitely recommend it to anybody wanting to stay in the middle of all the action.

Management response:Responded 7 July 2012

Dear Ambassador,
Congratulations one more time for your anniversary! Thank you for the time you destined to post a comment. At Xperience Hotels we appreciate feedback, which helps improve our services and facilities. We are glad to see our Infinite Hospitality philosophy has been portrayed in your stay. Illusion Boutique Hotel is specifically design for all those travelers who want to xperience the taste of Playa del Carmen and at the same time being able to discover the tours and excursions of the Riviera Maya. We hope to have you back at any of our Xperience Hotels. We are now having our Summer Sale!
Kind regards from your Xperience Family.

Reviewed 4 July 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights to celebrate my boyfriend's 40th birthday and the staff at this hotel went out of their way to help us celebrate...They surprised him with a room decoration to rival a surprise party and later a delicious fruit tarte. Our room was spacious and clean but just a bit dark as the lights were not super bright and we didn't have a patio. We were in room 402; I'd try to request 405, 406, 407 or 401 if you are on the top level. Great location in downtown Playa, very close to everything and still quiet. I'd recommend if you are looking for an alternative to an all-inclusive.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

This is my first review in tripadvisor, so please bear with me :-) The Illusion hotel is located a few steps from the beach and also a few steps from the 5th Avenue. As a matter of fact, it is on the 8th street, between the 5th Avenue and the beach. If you haven't been to Playa del Carmen, the 5th Avenue is a long street, parallel to the sea, with stores and restaurants.

Rooms are ample and have everything you need like air conditioning with remote control, ceiling fan, telephone, wi-fi internet access, iron, hair dryer, minibar. My only complain would be that in the room I stayed, the TV was small, and as the rooms is ample, it is kind of hard to see the TV while on the bed. However, I saw the other room types on the hotel, and they had larger LCD TVs. I was on a business trip (I'm a Wedding & Family photographer), so, if you're on vacations, TV is probably the least important aspect.

My tariff included Continental Breakfast (fruits, bread, yogurt, coffee, juice) but you can also order cooked meals from the menu at an additional charge. The hotel restaurant is only open for breakfast, from 7:30am-10:30am. The waiter kindly explained all services the first time I went to the restaurant.

I stayed on the basic room and it was very ample and comfortable. Yet, depending on your budget, you may want to try the other rooms on the rooftop level. Those are really nice suites with more luxury and even more space. On the rooftop there is a small pool with a bar and a view to the ocean. The hotel has 41 rooms.

It rained non-stop during my 3-day stay. When checking out it was still raining and the front desk personnel kindly handed me an umbrella so I could get my car from the parking lot to upload the suitcases. I must say I found the hotel employees to be very attentive and caring.

There is also a tour operator desk at the lobby level, which I didn't use so I can't comment on it. By the way, the hotels gives you beach towels, which I also didn't use.

In brief, I would recommend this hotel. It is not on the beach but very close to it, and to the 5th Avenue. Rooms are good and service is equally good. If you go for a bit more luxury, rooftop suites are really nice.

Room Tip: if budget allows, rooftop suites are more ample, better equipped, more luxury.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank EdMachuca
Reviewed 8 June 2012

This Hotel is definitely a great choice if you want to enjoy the beach at Playa del Camen.

Location: The location of this hotel is great. It is not directly at the sea side, but very close by. However, although it is very close to the main pedestrian area, you hardly hear any noise. Just noise from inside the hotel itself is not well protected from the rooms.

Rooms/Hotel: The rooms are clean. They look a bit basic and you won't get this WOW feeling when you enter the room, but definitely a good choice if you want to stay a few days in playa del Carmen. The Hotel has a little pool on the roof, but nobody is using it. Also the bar was always empty during our stay. Breakfast is very basic and not recommendable. There are so many other options you can use on the main street.

Staff:The Hotel itself is clean, the staff is very very supportive and friendly. They are honest and give you good guidance what to do.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple