“A great choice ”

Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels
Ranked #48 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

On my own behalf getting settled in my room was a bit of a challenge, but with the staff and the manager on duty went beyond the call assisting me from baggage to finding my lost keys " thank you"
The hotel is in a great location and is spotlessly clean, great a/c, plenty of water, immaculate room and plenty of hot water. I VISIT PDC about 3 times a year, my first time here at Illusions and I will make it a point to book here my future visits. GREAT JOB !

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Bizatl
XperienceHotels, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear Sir,

It was a great pleasure to host you at our Illusion Boutique Hotel on your recent stay. We feel grateful for having been chosen among others as your Hotel in the heart of Playa del Carmen and for giving us the opportunity to serve you. We appreciate you wonderful remarks regarding the cleanliness of our facilities and rooms. Your comments will be shared with the housekeeping team and all our staff. Thank you for your recommendations.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warmest regards from Riviera Maya to Atlanta!

Manager on Duty

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Stayed there in February 2012 with a group of
14 People in 7 Rooms and could have not more pleased with the entire experience. It was a great time and a very nice Hotel and I will stay there again. We had 5 Rooms on the top floor by the pool, one below and 1 Honeymoon Room on the very top level by itself. Rooms were clean, staff was very friendly and helpful and the location of the hotel was very centered.

Room Tip: stay on the top floor with the pool...great view!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
XperienceHotels, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Dear Ambassador,

We appreciate that you took the time to write a valuable review about our hotel. We are proud to know that your group of friends enjoyed the cleanness of the rooms, our passion for service and the ideal location of our hotel in the heart of Playa del Carmen. We also are grateful for having contributed to the appreciation of your stay in Mexico!!

We would enjoy seeing you in a near future for a pleasant and relaxing moment.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 15 September 2013

My friend and I stayed at Illusions Boutique for four nights. Upon arrival we were slightly put out because it seemed that no one, including our airport transfer company, seemed to know where it was. We had to walk down to it as there was a sign two blocks up blocking vehicles from driving down. This was a small inconvenience but the proximity (less than a block) to the beach made up for it. The hotel was clean and quite. The staff was incredibly friendly and helped us SO much. We were able to get breakfast to go three days and they had it waiting for us at the front desk! We appreciated that immensely as we had great difficulty with our pre-booked tour. That being said, it is best to book tours and activities through the hotel after you get to Mexico and no before like I did. The concierge was more than happy to call the company for us and help with the issues (this was great because although the tour company representative spoke English well enough it took less time for the concierge to sort it out in Spanish for me =)!) Our room was cozy and had a lovely little balcony. The hotel has a magnificent courtyard in the center. A few drawback: no one explained to us that in order to use the A/C you need to turn the power on in the room which is a small keyhole by the door, there was construction because the hotel is adding a fifth floor, wifi was intermittent. Small inconveniences considering the value we got. There is also a cute little pool on the roof with sort of swim up bar (no one serves you drinks but if you had your own it was nice to sit there in the water and enjoy them). All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel compared to some of the ones we say or heard about from other travelers in Playa del Carmen!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
XperienceHotels, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear Ambassador,

We are grateful that you took the time to write a positive review about us. It is always a great pleasure to read that our team of devotees of hospitality and our cozy rooms were appreciated. We also thank you for pointing out the areas in which we could improve ourselves. As per the maintenaince activities performed, they were done in order to provide you a better service to our guests. We really hope to have the oportunity to welcome you back and make you enjoy of the improvements of our hotel.

Best Regards,

Guests Relations

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Booked my most recent vacation a week from going and chose this hotel not know anything about it. I did know the location so that was a good starting point and I knew it was close to the beach so I took a shot on it and I'm more the pleased i did.
Checked into the hotel which is on 8th and 5th and it wasnt hard to find but you had to look closely cause the entrance was not well lit and it definetly didnt stand out. Walked into the place and it was quite nice the staff at the front desk checked me in and I went up to my room and that is were I was really amazed. They gave me the private cabanna on the 5th floor #500 which is currently the only one on that floor the other was being constructed while I was there. It was perfect. Opened the door and it was a huge room had a gigantic king size bed with a netting over the entire bed then the view this room had looked over the entire ocean. It also had its own private little deck area with some lounge chairs and a table. The bathroom in this cabanna was also quite large, and that was were the only problem in the whole room was in the shower. The shower while quite large had two shower heads a hand held one and then a regular one. The regular one was all the way up against the ceiling and had so much pressure that it barely allowed the hand held one to work. Also the regular shower head could not be adjusted cause it was so high to the ceiling and it shot directly into your face and I'm 6'0" tall so it was not enjoyable. And the water really had a bad oder for the first 5-10 min before really getting going. This I didnt find that big of a deal cause most of the time I just rinsed off in the shower down by the pool on the 4th floor which this cabanna also overlooked. All in all I would definetly stay at this place again I would request the cabanna on the 5th floor but I'm sure the rest of the rooms are really good as well. But if your getting away for a 3-4-5 day trip this place it perfect for that.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2013

The name of the hotel is too long and confusing. And it's not really a boutique hotel either. let's start with the positive remarks : location is good between the beach and the lively 5th avenue, but no direct access to beach provided. Service is good and friendly as well and the price compared to accommodation and service is fine for a few days. Not a hotel to stay longer than 3 days though. Breakfast looks great but the taste is a subject of discussion, the little buns that are offered are not always fresh. The swimmingpool on the 4th floor is a joke, just deep enough to wet your knees and the rooms differ. Try to get one on the top floors or with a window that opens to the outside, the ones ceneterd around the courtyard a a bit gloomy and dark.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank werdlerswereld
XperienceHotels, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2013

Dear Ambassador( as we kindly name our guests),

We would like to thank you for your recent visit to one of our hotels located close to the 5th Avenue: Illusion Hotel Boutique. We appreciate your positive remarks about our attentive service and location. And we also would like to thank you for sharing the opportunities you perceived, this is very important for us since it is our main motivation to improve. Please rest assured that they will be forwarded to the management for its consideration.

Looking forward to having the opportunity to host you in the future and show you our improvements.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Stayed here for a week with my boyfriend and we were both very pleased with this hotel. The hotel was very clean! Great location as it is right downtown in the middle of everything yet also just a few steps from the beach. I would definitely return if visiting Playa again. The pool is very small/shallow but I found it relaxing to sit and suntan in there. Staff was so polite and goes out of their way to help you!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
XperienceHotels, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Dear Ambassador (as we are used to name our guests),

Thank you very much for your positive review. We are really glad to know that the cleanness of the hotel, the friendliness of the staff and the location were key factors which helped you to have a good time in our central hotel boutique in Playa Del Carmen: Illusion Hotel Boutique.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards

Reviewed 4 August 2013

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is located right off of 5th Avenue and about a one minute walk to the beach. My wife and I stayed in room 309 in July 2013. We were very satisfied with the hotel, as we spent most of our time on the beach. Remember, this is an affordable boutique hotel. They do not advertise themselves to be a luxury hotel and they will do what is necessary to make your stay comfortable.

Here is a rundown of my opinion of the hotel:

1) Free breakfast - little more than water, juice, fruit, and bread. I did not utilize the free breakfast as it was not much of a breakfast. But, because of the location, you could go out and get a great, cheap, authentic Mexican breakfast if you desire.

2) Location - the best we could imagine. Half a block from the beach and right off 5th Avenue. We did not need a car and close enough to walk to the bus terminal to avoid paying $60.00 or more to get back to the airport. The hotel is also very close to my dive shop of choice in Playa. It only took me 5 minutes to walk to Playa Scuba to dive.

3) Room - The room was very clean, but it did smell like Raid bug spray. The positive is that we never saw any bugs. Our room (309) had a nice balcony overlooking the street. Each night, we could hear the bands playing at local restaurants. Our room was also right next to one of the AC condensers that some reviewers have complained about. My wife and I found the ambient noise soothing and it helped us get good nights sleep (even on the admittedly hard mattress).

4) Staff - EXTREMELY nice and helpful. We arrived about 5 hours before check in time and rather than let us store our bags before check in, they found us a room and allowed us an early check in. Many thanks for making our travel day much more pleasant.

5) Free Wi-Fi - very spotty. It seemed to go on and off during the day. Do not count on reliable internet....but heck, it's vacation, so enjoy the beach.

6) Pool - very small and shallow pool on roof. The pool does have an ocean view, but I will admit I never got in the water. Instead, I posted up on the beach. My wife, however, did go to the pool and she was satisfied.

Overall we were very satisfied with this hotel and we would come back for another stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
XperienceHotels, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear Ambassador(as we respectfuly name our guests),

On behalf of the entire Xperience Family we would like to thank you for your recent stay at our central hotel located in the heart of Playa de Carmen: Illusion Boutique Hotel.
Our Hospitality Devotees will be glad to know that you enjoyed our attentive and personal service in our rooms and facilities. We would also like like to thank you for your recomendations to other future guests as well as some opportunities with maintenance, wifi and breakfast perceived during your stay.Your opinion is very important since it motivates us to improve. Rest assured that this information will be forwarded to the management for its conisderation.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon in a near future!

Warmest regards,