“Great choice to stay in Playa Carmen”

Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels
Ranked #50 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I found Xperience Hotels a reliable network. Illusion is very well located, close to city center and 1 minute walk to the beach. I can easily say GREAT price-quality! Not everything is perfect (slow elevator... but there's no rush... :), internet on an off, depending on where your room is, noisy water drainage - only gives you trouble if it rains really, really hard)...but what is important is very good! Breakfast is simple, nothing fancy, but there is always fresh fruit and a freshly baked croissant, and it is served with quite some class. Rooms are very clean and comfy and have great natural toiletries! The pool up on top is not functional at the moment... I don't know if it is the low season or what... but you can still enjoy some nice view from up there. Then, go in the sea.... it is so nice and warm, the pool would be a waste!
The personnel is always eager to help, but sometimes is a bit slow... Oh, wait, we are in Mexico where time is .... plenty :)! Marco, our consierge, was a pleasure to talk to get some knowledge of the place.
And as a piece of advice, if you want to go places in a simple but safe way (Tulum, Playa Paradiso..., do not hesitate to use the local vans... they are relatively cheap (I found Mexico rather expensive...) and spares you A LOT of money.
Enjoy!

Room Tip: Rooms on the street side have better wifi connection. if it's rainy season, you may ask for a ro...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Just got back from PDC and stayed at Illusion. The location is great (10th & 5th Avenues). My husband and I stayed here using a Groupon deal. The bed was hard as a brick .... like sleeping on the floor ... literally. No wash cloths or hand towels ... had to ask ... they didn't know what I was asking for so we walked to Walmart and purchased our own. Room smelled like a damp basement ... and that may have been due to the fact that everything isn't turned on until you insert your key and turn a/c on to cool off room. Upon checking in we were not told or given any of the coupons that most places do give out to their guests to the local establishments. We had to ask for them. Also they didn't tell us about their on-site restaurant. Learned about that through venturing out. The most disappointing thing was the CONSTRUCTION. Who in their right mind wants to come in at 4 am and be awoken to the sounds of pounding, drilling, etc at 7 am. I strongly suggest you ask if construction has stopped and that goes with wherever you're staying in PDC. But overall our stay was good. The room does come with a mini-fridge and a full-length mirror. Room 310 is good and comes with a balcony where you can look out to 5th Avenue and see the people.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mistie_black
XperienceHotels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Ambassador,

Firstly we would like to thank you for your visit to our Illusion Boutique Hotel and for taking the time share your review. We are glad to know that your stay was good and that you found your room furnishing convenient. Regarding your valuable comments about our services, we are sorry for this situation with a member of our team due to a language misunderstanding, otherwise we are confident that we could have done everything it was in our hands to suit your needs better before you left. We also consider important to inform you that, in order to guarantee our guests relaxation, the improvement activity of our new “Vision Suites” with a spectacular view to the Caribbean Sea, was committed to start normally at 10 am. Therefore, the noise perceived in the early morning might have come from bars and restaurants next door of this busy area. Thank you again for sharing your Xperience, we can assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration.

Looking forward to having the opportunity to serve you in future so that you can enjoy of an delightful stay with us in Paradise!

Best regards,

Guest Relations

Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

I wanted to chill on the roof terrace with sea view and plunge pool for a couple of days, but the noisy construction work on the roof put paid to any real relaxing there during the day. The elevator was broken for my whole stay, but I guess the exercise up and down to my 4th floor room was healthy. The spa room was closed and everything about my "Prestige' room was mediocre at best. Dated, drab and dark, room 405 has a window onto a stairwell with poorly fitted curtains and the room's 'terrace' is a walkway allowing no privacy unless all curtains are closed. The thin, thousand-wash grey towels sum this place up, but I'm sure the hard-as-rock bed must be good for backs.
The cheerful staff and good location can't make up for the poor quality of this place. I have made a few visits to Playa, and there are far nicer, and cheaper, hotels available. This is not even close to a 'boutique' hotel, it's an overpriced run down 3 star hotel. If it was marketed as a backpackers, it would be closer to the mark. Don't be disappointed!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank sleepyjane49
XperienceHotels, Manager at Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Dear Ambassador,

Thank you very much for your recent visit and for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.
We sincerely apologize if you did feel uncomfortable due to the improvement works meant to enhance the quality of our Illusion Boutique Hotel. In a few days we are going to finish five new "Vision" Suites of about 50 sq meters each, with unparalleled view overl the Caribbean and Cozumel Island. We are trying to minimize the inconveniences as much as possible and indeed we are very sorry to hear that you experienced some disturbance. Works are now at the very last stage and concentrated only on the very top floor. We therefore, would like to invite you to come back and take advantage of these amazing accommodations available as of december 2013. Kindly contact us privately in order to formalize the invitation for these exclusive accommodations.
We thank you again for your apreciation about our Location and the Service you got from our Hospitality Devotees , hoping to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you, with a truly unique vacation experience
Warm regards,
Rafael Canton

Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

On my own behalf getting settled in my room was a bit of a challenge, but with the staff and the manager on duty went beyond the call assisting me from baggage to finding my lost keys " thank you"
The hotel is in a great location and is spotlessly clean, great a/c, plenty of water, immaculate room and plenty of hot water. I VISIT PDC about 3 times a year, my first time here at Illusions and I will make it a point to book here my future visits. GREAT JOB !

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Bizatl
XperienceHotels, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear Sir,

It was a great pleasure to host you at our Illusion Boutique Hotel on your recent stay. We feel grateful for having been chosen among others as your Hotel in the heart of Playa del Carmen and for giving us the opportunity to serve you. We appreciate you wonderful remarks regarding the cleanliness of our facilities and rooms. Your comments will be shared with the housekeeping team and all our staff. Thank you for your recommendations.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warmest regards from Riviera Maya to Atlanta!

Manager on Duty

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Stayed there in February 2012 with a group of
14 People in 7 Rooms and could have not more pleased with the entire experience. It was a great time and a very nice Hotel and I will stay there again. We had 5 Rooms on the top floor by the pool, one below and 1 Honeymoon Room on the very top level by itself. Rooms were clean, staff was very friendly and helpful and the location of the hotel was very centered.

Room Tip: stay on the top floor with the pool...great view!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
XperienceHotels, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Dear Ambassador,

We appreciate that you took the time to write a valuable review about our hotel. We are proud to know that your group of friends enjoyed the cleanness of the rooms, our passion for service and the ideal location of our hotel in the heart of Playa del Carmen. We also are grateful for having contributed to the appreciation of your stay in Mexico!!

We would enjoy seeing you in a near future for a pleasant and relaxing moment.

Best Regards,

Guest Relations

Reviewed 15 September 2013

My friend and I stayed at Illusions Boutique for four nights. Upon arrival we were slightly put out because it seemed that no one, including our airport transfer company, seemed to know where it was. We had to walk down to it as there was a sign two blocks up blocking vehicles from driving down. This was a small inconvenience but the proximity (less than a block) to the beach made up for it. The hotel was clean and quite. The staff was incredibly friendly and helped us SO much. We were able to get breakfast to go three days and they had it waiting for us at the front desk! We appreciated that immensely as we had great difficulty with our pre-booked tour. That being said, it is best to book tours and activities through the hotel after you get to Mexico and no before like I did. The concierge was more than happy to call the company for us and help with the issues (this was great because although the tour company representative spoke English well enough it took less time for the concierge to sort it out in Spanish for me =)!) Our room was cozy and had a lovely little balcony. The hotel has a magnificent courtyard in the center. A few drawback: no one explained to us that in order to use the A/C you need to turn the power on in the room which is a small keyhole by the door, there was construction because the hotel is adding a fifth floor, wifi was intermittent. Small inconveniences considering the value we got. There is also a cute little pool on the roof with sort of swim up bar (no one serves you drinks but if you had your own it was nice to sit there in the water and enjoy them). All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel compared to some of the ones we say or heard about from other travelers in Playa del Carmen!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
XperienceHotels, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear Ambassador,

We are grateful that you took the time to write a positive review about us. It is always a great pleasure to read that our team of devotees of hospitality and our cozy rooms were appreciated. We also thank you for pointing out the areas in which we could improve ourselves. As per the maintenaince activities performed, they were done in order to provide you a better service to our guests. We really hope to have the oportunity to welcome you back and make you enjoy of the improvements of our hotel.

Best Regards,

Guests Relations

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Booked my most recent vacation a week from going and chose this hotel not know anything about it. I did know the location so that was a good starting point and I knew it was close to the beach so I took a shot on it and I'm more the pleased i did.
Checked into the hotel which is on 8th and 5th and it wasnt hard to find but you had to look closely cause the entrance was not well lit and it definetly didnt stand out. Walked into the place and it was quite nice the staff at the front desk checked me in and I went up to my room and that is were I was really amazed. They gave me the private cabanna on the 5th floor #500 which is currently the only one on that floor the other was being constructed while I was there. It was perfect. Opened the door and it was a huge room had a gigantic king size bed with a netting over the entire bed then the view this room had looked over the entire ocean. It also had its own private little deck area with some lounge chairs and a table. The bathroom in this cabanna was also quite large, and that was were the only problem in the whole room was in the shower. The shower while quite large had two shower heads a hand held one and then a regular one. The regular one was all the way up against the ceiling and had so much pressure that it barely allowed the hand held one to work. Also the regular shower head could not be adjusted cause it was so high to the ceiling and it shot directly into your face and I'm 6'0" tall so it was not enjoyable. And the water really had a bad oder for the first 5-10 min before really getting going. This I didnt find that big of a deal cause most of the time I just rinsed off in the shower down by the pool on the 4th floor which this cabanna also overlooked. All in all I would definetly stay at this place again I would request the cabanna on the 5th floor but I'm sure the rest of the rooms are really good as well. But if your getting away for a 3-4-5 day trip this place it perfect for that.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo