“I'm a Comedian's Wife, and Loved It!”
Review of Comedy Playa

Comedy Playa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A New York pizza bar, Lucky Luciano is brimming with Big Apple style and attitude. Great service matched with incredible food make this a worthy destination even if there isn't any comedy that night. The upstairs comedy room seats 40, and has air conditioning and free wi-fi.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 18 August 2014

As a comedian's wife, I watch *A LOT* of stand-up comedy. After a while, most comedy begins to sound the same -- tired premises and punchlines, and lots of people simply trying to mimic their favorite comedians' mannerisms and style, rather than just being themselves. So, it takes a lot to get me to laugh and for a stand-up comedy show to impress me.

That said, the Sunday night show at Comedy Playa was one of the two or three most enjoyable comedy shows I've ever been to.

Really.

EVERY act was good and had at least a few lines that really hit me. There were five comedians on the show -- four from Playa, and my husband who did a guest spot while we were here on vacation. I was so impressed with the guys from Playa. They are part of a group of about five or six English-language comedians in Playa; given this small size of their comedy scene, I wasn't expecting much. But these guys knew how to structure jokes, craft smart and ORIGINAL punchlines, and not step on laughter -- their talent level and professionalism is far superior to what I've seen in larger US comedy scenes (I'm looking at you, San Diego!). No one was offensive or unfunny -- everyone was just totally entertaining, clever, and professional.

The crowd was small, since this is the low tourist season, but it was a supportive and happy audience. The comedians were also very supportive of one another, and the audience really picked up on this -- the comedians all watched each others' sets and laughed in support of one another (even though I'm sure they've seen each others' sets hundreds of times!).

Totally worth the 50 peso cover. Also, the show only lasted about 1 hour 15 minutes -- unlike many comedy club shows where they hold you hostage for 2 hours trying to get you to buy more drinks. The drinks at Comedy Playa (well, from Lucky Luciano downstairs) are strong pours and reasonably priced. Comfortable air-conditioned room. Great option for a night out in Playa.

3  Thank stargirlssc

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I love this guys, they are so much fun!! Everyone has their own style. It is sarcastic humor at moments, fresh and original. I think Luke'songs are just hilarious...You can't miss this show. Maybe at moments you are gonna hear some curse so if you are very sensitive don't go....

Reviewed 5 June 2014

L.*******I was so excited to hear the comendy club was coming to Playa!!! And it was a fund raiser too!! Win, win situation, however, I was disappointed. The first few acts weren't funny, just dirty & vulgar. I don't find anything funny in that. Thank goodnees for the last 3 acts, who were clean & funky. The last act was a girl, she was the best!!! Keep you laughing, and kept the audience involved and participating in the act with her. She made the night worth going.

2  Thank cindyk_11
elnorto, Director at Comedy Playa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Hi cindyk_11,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of Comedy Playa. While we would love to take credit for the performances that you found worth watching, we cannot. The show you are describing was for the 2014 Akumal Comedy Festival, and it would be false of us to take credit for the performances that you enjoyed.

What we can do, however, is take credit for the performances that you did not enjoy, as we undoubtedly had a hand in that. Wherever we can disappoint someone who was expecting to see a G-rated comedy show at a bar at night, we are happy. The fact that you took the time to voice your displeasure on our TripAdvisor page for a comedy show in which our name, Comedy Playa - Playa del Carmen's only weekly comedy show - makes US laugh, so kudos to you!

If you would like to be further disappointed, please feel free to check our show times so you can write a proper review of our "funny or not funny" comedy.

Kind regards,

Craig Norton
Director
Comedy Playa

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I went to see these guys, they are off to a good start.
Go see their show and I am sure you will get a few LOL

1  Thank Antonio P
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Twice a week (Wednesdays and Sundays) the collective comic talent of Playa gather at Lucky Luciano’s (great restaurant on fifth avenue - walking distance from just about everything) and put on a show that will make bend over laughing. If you come a bit before the show starts you can get a table in front of the stage and comfortably enjoy dinner while watching. It's really a change from the normal Playa activities and well worth the itsy-bitsy cover charge of 50 pesos. (To be honest I think they are seriously under charging for their efforts). You won't regret an evening with these guys. They are all super funny and it's all in English and very international!

3  Thank Beatrice_Hjelm