“Get dirty and have fun!”

Discovery Jungle Park
Experience for Yourself
More Info
US$89.00*
and up
Jungle Maya Park Admission Ticket
Bloomington, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Get dirty and have fun!”
Reviewed 20 July 2010

We took the Discovery Jungle Park 1/2-day tour. It was exactly as advertised with about 50-60 minutes of travel via 4-wheeler (or 'quads' as the tour guides call them) into the jungle, three zip lines, and then swimming in an underground cave, then the same 4-wheeler ride back. My husband and I and our four teenagers loved every minute of it. Well, except the crazy jungle ants that we came across. Not deadly, but painful!

The tour van was at our hotel a few minutes late which had me worried at first. The van ride to the...garage, for lack of better words...was quick, maybe 10-15 minutes tops. The 4-wheelers were all in good shape and lined up and ready to go. After a few safety instructions, helmets, goggles (if you didn't have sunglasses of your own), we were off. There were three tour guides enroute with us. As we were driving, one would reach for your camera to take pictures while you rode. Very nice of them, especially since they took tour pictures of their own and were selling DVDs at the end of the trip. They just really wanted everyone to have a great time.

The road to and from the jungle is in three parts. A short segment of in-town streets, a longer segment of country roads (both were pretty tame and I think my 16-year-old son was getting bored), then the third part, where you turn into the jungle, is tons of fun. Lots of up and down hills, mud at the bottom, twists, turns, and plenty of bumps. I'm afraid that road is low on mud just because my son was there. He was wearing half of it by the time we got back.

The ladders up to the zip lines were rustic, to say the least. But they were safe and the zips were fast and very fun. All the tour guides were funny, making jokes to make you wonder if you were going to live through it, but being very understanding of a couple of people who were really timid about jumping off (me included). I suppose other places have longer zips, but all three lines were very different and just enough for our group. When you come off the middle zip you have to basically walk through some water. Wear old shoes, or take beach shoes. Do NOT plan to go barefoot. That's where the ants live.

After the zips, we climbed down the hole in the ground to swim. It cool water felt amazing after being in the steamy jungle with the bugs and the dirt. The guides used the word 'refreshing' with a wink and a smile before we jumped in. Refreshing it was! After cooling off in there, we stayed cool even on the steamy walk back to the 4-wheelers and the ride home.

We really enjoyed this tour. The people were enthusiastic and seemed genuinely happy that we were there. Oh, and I booked ours through the tour guides that roam the beach in the morning. Their price was about $5 less pp than the going rate for the same tour at the Wyndham. Wyndham was unwilling to book this excursion for us, but it worked out for the best anyway. We paid less and had a great experience all the way around.

4 Thank mswizzz

Fargo North Dakota, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We got more than we expected!”
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Impressive tour and great guides! Be prepared to get dirty. Beautiful area in the jungle, and very cool cenote!

1 Thank MNPoison_ivy555
Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“It was fun but not for faint of heart!”
Reviewed 9 April 2010

I found this excursion online while trying to plan activities for our trip to Mexico. It looked great on the webpage and lived up to its expectations with a few exceptions. The pictures don't show you steep ladders you will be climbing and the site does not mention the physical endurance needed for this trip.
We had a blast and the guides/employees were really helpful and friendly so I would recommend this excursion with a warning. You will be climbing ladders up into the trees at least 20 feet high and the first one has no railing or protection so if you slip - you fall onto the hard ground below. The ladder itself is secure but there are no other safety features provided. Also, when you reach the top you will be on a small platform (maybe 4ft by 4 ft) with the employee so not a lot of room for movement and no safety railing there either. The Zip line is very secure and fun to fly down to a lower platform. The second zip line is off the side of the hill so no ladder required. The last one is up more steep steps (homemade ladder) but at least there was a railing on each side to hold onto as you made your way up.
The Cenote was beautiful but also not easy or overly safe to get to. You will climb down into the Cenote via a 20 foot metal ladder secured to the rock wall. The trip down is scary since you have nothing to hold onto except the ladder and it is straight down onto the hard rock floor. I can not imagine what they would do (or how they would remove someone if they fell). Swimming in the cool water was very refreshing after all the climbing and riding on the 10 mile ATV trip. The trip back up the lader is even more treacherous because you are now soaking wet and your shoes are slippery on the metal rungs.
I may sound like I did not have fun but I really did - I just think they need to spend a little more time and money to make it safer. The guides were really helpful and accomodating but they can only do so much.
For the money - we spent $55 USD per person and that included the roundtrip transportation from our hotle - it was well worth it.
Just be sure that you are somewhat fit before taking this tour and DO NOT go if you are afraid to climb laders or have a heart condition -that could be very dangerous. The ATV ride is very bumpy at the end and requires upper body strength. We had a young girl skid off the road (in a really bumpy spot) and hit a tree because she could not handle the steering.
You should bring a backpack with water bottles, some snacks if needed, towels to dry off and dry clothes if you want to get out of your wet suit before the 10 mile ATV trip back to the office. Also, it is really dusty this time of year so goggles and a scarf over your mouth are really helpful.

3 Thank mimisherv
Milwaukee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A lot of fun thrills. Guides were fun.”
Reviewed 4 April 2010

I took my 9 year old son on the trip. The hotels don't really promote this, but it was a great 1/2 day tour. Most of the other tours are 8am to 5pm. This was a 10 mile ATV ride. You get a helmet (not as protective as a US motorcycle helmet) and goggles. There were about 20 people on the tour and we had 3 guides. My son rode on the back. They let the teens drive their own ATVs. You start on a main street with traffic (I felt safe) then a side street, then a dirt road then a rocky road with a lot of bumps. After about 50 minutes you arrive where you put on your zip line gear. I was just ziplining in Arenal Costa Rica which was great. This was like a 5 year olds art project vs. a Picasso, but still fun. The first zip line you need to climb up a 2 story ladder up a tree. The zip line is not that long but fun. The next one they actually need to pull down on the line part way through to pop you up (it seems to avoid a crash landing). The last was another ladder up a shaky tree. Then you walk a minute to an underground waterhole. You take another 2 story slippery ladder down a small hole to a cavern with water the size of a 1/2 small pool. You dive in and swim for about 10-15 minutes then climb back up and back to the ATVs for the last 50 minute ride. We had a blast. The guides were funny and tried to scare you several times (all in fun).

The bad - not for the feint of heart. We had a Drama Queen from Brooklyn who almost wet her pants doing this. Also 3 of the teenage girls drove off the road. Some into the woods and I think an ATV flipped once. Nobody was hurt but not an easy drive. Also, in the jungle around the zip lines, one or two of the guides wreaked of marijuana. Not great considering your safety is in their hands.

Nonetheless, my son and I had a blast.

Toronto
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“ATV/Ziplines/Cave: BANG FOR THE BUCK!”
Reviewed 28 March 2010

WOW! What a great tour company! I've never written a review for a tour company, but this one was well deserved. For $70usd we got to ride our own ATV for a good 20 miles (possibly more), which was a mix of cement roads, dirt roads, and off-roading. We rode the ATVs for about an hour (possibly more) until we got to our jungle destination.

Then we got strapped into our zipline harnesses and ventured nearby to the first line. They weren't the most exciting ziplines, but they were still fun noneheless. There was a good mix of steepness and length with each zipline.

Then they brought us to an underground cave which was really dark at first, but they turned on the flood lights and we could see the cave. It wasn't as big as the other caves that I'd been to, but the water was super clean and the water temperature was perfect. We got to dive and swim for just under half an hour.

The three-man crew that took us on the ziplines and into the cave were very friendly. Their english wasn't the perfect, but they were genuinely happy with their jobs. We tipped them well at the end for treating us so nice.

Then we drove the ATVs back home. They picked up the speed and once we got out of the jungle, we were going about 50km/h or so the entire way on the dirt roads and cement roads.

*BTW: single ATV engines were 125cc, double ATV engines were 250cc

WHERE TO BUY
We bought this excursion from one of the salesman on the beach. At first we were skeptical with how the quality of the tour would be, but rest assured, there was nothing to worry about. Our hotel offered a similar tour for $70usd if you wanted to ride an ATV with a partner (double), and $90usd if you wanted to ride your own. On the beach, we paid $70 for our own! No strings attached!

-Transportation from our hotel lobby was included
-No snacks or drinks were provided, but we brought our own
-From the time we left our lobby, it took us 4-hours to get back
-I went with 8 friends, and we met 4 others on the excursion

RECOMMENDATIONS
-Buy this excursion on the beach and you may be able to haggle the price down if your group is big enough.
-If you have a pair, bring snowboarding goggles to avoid dirt in the eyes!
-Wear some face protection to avoid inhaling dirt!
-Don't pull out your camera too much while you're on the ATVs: the dirt temporarily clogged up two of my friends' cameras!
-Lean back when you're on the ziplines and watch your head!
-Bring a bottle of water
-Caution: If you slam the brakes on the ATVs you'll skid!
-Hungry? There was a shop right next to the excursion's office that sold BBQ'd chicken, and it was GOOOOOD! I think it was about 100 pesos, well worth it!
-Riding a double ATV? If you know how to shift gears, take the manual transmission! It has so much more torque!

3 Thank dly02