“Luxury and Superb Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Fairmont Mayakoba

Fairmont Mayakoba
Ranked #7 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sydney, Australia
“Luxury and Superb Service”
Reviewed 4 January 2012

A true luxury resort. Beautiful, well-equipped, well-appointed rooms, staff dedicated to excellent service, Restaurants with good to excellent food. Acres of pools, Sandy beach. We arranged a family Christmas with people from three continents, including an infant and a 3-1/2 year old. Staff went out of their way to be accommodating. With the hotel totally full, restaurant service was a bit slow. Our caveat: the in-house travel agency. We booked a tour of the Maya ruins at Chichen Itza. The on-site tour and the guide were excellent! The logistics of crowded van pick-up to meet a crowded uncomfortable bus with a wise-cracking guide (and return) were not worthy of the Fairmont! It was therefore disappointing that the Fairmont did not have its on beach-based facilities for snorkling the beautiful reefs. The Mayakoba may not be the perfect place for teenagers or unmarried people if they want more than hanging around the pool, cycling the paths and eating.

5 Thank GentleKnight

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (759)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 January 2012

The Fairmont is a great hotel. Service outstanding. Rooms very nice. Staff unbelievably helpful and friends. Restaurants were very good albeit with slow service. Pools are awesome with great waterslide for the kids. Lot's to do in area. Only serious dispointment was inavailability of tennis courts. They have two courts for four resorts. Give me a break. How ridiculous is that? Won't go back until they build mroe courts. Tennis was booked every day morning until night. Can't they take a hint?

Room Tip: Choose to be by the beach or main pool whatever your prefernce, far distance between.
9 Thank jeff f
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Ok, I am not sure where to start. I may want to protect some of the bar staff and waiters because they were great. So hats off to them.

Now to the disaster of a hotel. I cannot believe this is a Fairmont. I am puzzled whether it is just hard to find good management in Playa Del Carmen due to so many hotels, or this place is just run horribly.

Our trip started with the car arranged by the hotel to pick us up not showing up at all. Great start. We then arrived to find the place PACKED with kids. I mean PACKED. I have nothing against kids and I am sure its good money for the hotel to get families... But I feel these places are supposed to be an escape. And romance was very hard to achieve with screaming brats everywhere. We then attempted to get some privacy at the spa and workout and use steam room. We were hit with a $35.00 PER PERSON charge to use the spa at a vacation resort. So basically, if my wife and I want to get healthy and enjoy a workout on our vacation it was $70.00 per day. PER DAY.

We attempted to enjoy a plated New Years Eve dinner and tried several times to get our reservation to it. I was then told I had to take a half hour out of my vacation and catch a ride to the front desk (property is huge) to sign a deposit waiver for the event. I mean I requested to go to the dinner and now I have to sign a waiver to go to dinner?

Sorry but this place is a disaster. I can go on and on (like the 45 peso a day resort charge they dont tell you about). My wife and I spent 1k more in incidental charges than we did in Four Seasons in Maui for same amount of time.

Complete Disaster

22 Thank ericliney
Fairmont M, Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this review, 4 January 2012
Dear ericliney,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We sincerely apologize in that we could not meet your expectations while staying with us; however, we would appreciate if you consider Fairmont Mayakoba for a stay in the future if travel plans lead you back to the Riviera Maya.

Sven Richter
Hotel Manager
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I don't know why this hotel isn't ranked #1 in the world. Upon dropping off a lot of people from the airport and seeing other resorts, the Fairmont Mayakoba is BY FAR THE BEST!!! There are so many pools, restaurants, and grounds to explore, and the services are so excellent, I honestly can't wait to go back. What really sets this place apart from the other resorts in the area is that you live in a cabana in the middle of the pristine jungle surrounding the hotel, most overlooking a gorgeous lagoon.

The Mayakoba isn't just another nice, big collection of brightly painted buildings made to cater to vacationers; this place is the real deal. Everything is clean, fresh and seriously romantic. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone; it's undeniably the best!!!!

Room Tip: Get an even numbered room so you're on the second floor!
1 Thank CazLuisYoyo
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We stayed here with our 7yr old for Christmas/New Years week and had a really good time. The staff is truly 5 star and seem hotel schooled in their level of service. The property is pretty but really spread out and getting around in golf carts can be a drag. It's pricey and it adds up quickly if you're not super budget focused. Also the New Years Eve party went on waaaaay too long and kept us up past 2:30 with bad 80s music blaring across the resort! Overall, really nice place.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Jodanic
new york city
Reviewed 31 December 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Banyan Tree in December 2011. On the same property are two other hotels the Fairmont and the Rosewood. The reception desk at the Banyan Tree recommended El Puerto at the Fairmont. It is advertised as a steakhouse. This is a terrible restaurant in every way possible. The reception desk had to cajole the hostess at Ei Puerto to accept our reservation for 7:30pm on December 20th. When we arrived the restaurant was only half full and remained so for the entire evening. The decor consists of bright white walls and bright lights. With a lady singer singing karaoke style 1960/70s music. The terrace is better but unfortunately the mosquitoes like it too. The terrace looks out on a fountain with a huge (2 or 3 story tall) white Christmas tree with red lites. It makes one feel you are in mall of America. Service was disorganized and felt like our waiter and busboy were 2 of the 3 stooges. Getting water, a a glass of wine and bread literally took 35 minutes. Then we placed the order. We were told that the national beef was "outstanding" and ordered steaks rare and charred on the outside, asparagus and to start salads with dressing on the side. 20 minutes later the salads arrived drenched in dressing. We accepted the salads since we were starving. 45 minutes later our steaks arrived well done and not charred. The waiter left the asparagus and told us it would be 15 minutes and we would have our steaks. 20 minutes later after asking about our steaks twice we were told the kitchen was very busy since it was the Christmas holidays and the manager would see us. Another 5 minutes and no manager. We asked for our bill. It was 80 dollars without the steaks and included a 15 percent service charge. No apology. When we were leaving there was a family with 2 kids about 5 and 8. Both kids were sound asleep with their heads on the table. The father told me that they had been there for 2 hours. I complained to the reception desk at the Banyan Tree and they told me they would notify the manager at the Fairmont. We never received any response from El Puerto or the Fairmont. The experience was terirble and a rip off.

3 Thank travelingdad56
Fairmont M, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Dear travelingdad56,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your recent visit to El Puerto. As a restaurant with many accolades for the quality of its product and service I am distress to read your dining experience was less than perfect. Your comments have been shared with the management and so I hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back during your next visit to Riviera Maya, please email me at paulina.feltrin@fairmont.com.
Paulina Feltrin
Director of Public Relations
Victoria, British Columbia
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Played this course 3 times in the past week while on vacation. One of the best resort courses I've ever played! Course was in immaculate condition. Played very fast and firm with no rough. Only a second cut about half inch longer than fairways. Greens were very fast and firm with subtle breaks. Course plays very fair, especially off the tee. All or most of the trouble is around the greens or inside of 100 yards were there are usually lots of sand bunkers and/or water. There are 2 short par 3s that play into the wind beachside looking out into the Caribbean. Fantastic! Play 2 or 3 clubs extra as the wind is strong and right at you. Service was first class and put Riviera Maya GC to shame. Treated me like gold both on the course and after my rounds in the club house and lounge. Food and drink was excellent and there were a ton of excellent clothing and accessories in the pro shop. Green fees and prices for food and drink were expensive but worth it. Green fees also include pick up and drop off from wherever you are staying in the Mayan Riviera. Can't say a bad thing about this place. First class all the way. The starter is a class act too regularly checking up on players to make sure everything is going well. This is how to run a first class golf experience! Like night and day compared to Riviera Maya GC. I highly recommend this course and resort. I look forward to returning and staying at the Fairmont. Met a number of people on the course who were staying here and raved about it. Ditto for the Rosewood and Banyan Tree Mayakoba. 5 Stars!

1 Thank CaseyluvsSophie
Fairmont M, Director of Golf at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this review, 5 January 2012
Hello morninwood,

On behalf of our entire team here at El Camaleon Golf Club at Mayakoba, we are delighted that you enjoyed your time and that you were able to play golf 3 times here while you were on vacation in December. There is so much that goes into a round of golf at our resort that it is wonderful to hear we fulfilled your expectations. From your initial inquiry about playing golf to the greeting you receive upon the completion of your golf round and finally your return transportation to your resort, we ensure that every detail is carefully handled in order to provide you with the best golfing experience.

Each colleague at El Camaleon Mayakoba realizes that our golfers’ expectations are incredibly high because they are playing the same golf course the PGA Tour plays on each February and we strive to provide a golf experience that rivals any resort golf course in the world. We appreciate that you chose to play our course during your vacation and took the time to provide us with your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon; please feel free to contact me personally upon your return.

Kevin Sebulski