“A Great Property for a Romantic although Pricey Vacation”
Review of Fairmont Mayakoba

Fairmont Mayakoba
Ranked #10 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 30 May 2013

The property is lovely but the add on costs for food, internet, parking etc all make for a pricey vacation. The grounds are spectacular and the rooms are clean, spacious and comfy. But when I wanted a 1/2 can of ginger ale, I did not expect it to cost $6 US. The restaurants are very nice but again pricey. I really liked the "El Puerto" restaurant and the La Laguna area pool. The front desk should have a separate place to pay for valet parking since each time I wanted to leave, I had to wait for them to check in people when I just wanted to pay for parking. Parking was $7 per day...

Room Tip: Closer to the beach is nice
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Fairmont M, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Hola PacificLotsCostaRica:

Thank you for your feedback and for your good comments about the hotel’s facilities and service. As a luxury resort, we carefully select the best produce in town as to offer the refined culinary experience our guests expect from a resort such as ours. . Thank you also for sharing your impressions regarding our pricing which helps us as we put together our packages for the upcoming seasons.

Thank you again for your comments and look forward to your return in the future.
Director of Public Relations

Write a ReviewReviews (4,279)

Reviewed 30 May 2013

Hotel has all the amenities and services you would expect from a 5 star hotel.
The disadvantage of the hotel is it's size. You have to walk everywhere miles. There are golf carts that run 24/7 and they take you anywhere you want but you have to wait for it. They should offer a cart per room (like casa de campo does). Then, you wouldn't have to wait for a cart.
It never was longer than 5 minutes, but once you wait in the heat it's not nice at all.
There were also 2 situations that showed a bit of lack of organization from the staff.
1st was when valet boy told me I took the car keys and he doesn't have them. I spent over an hour looking for the keys, which in the end were on the parking lot with the valet boy.
2nd when I asked every single day for late check out (as I was with a 4 month old baby) and I was assured that it won't be a problem. In the day of my check out, when I called them just to confirm, that my late check out is OK, they were quite surprised and told me it wasn't possible. After several phone calls they let us stay, but it created unnecessary stress.
But in general hotel is really nice. Cleaning service is spectacular. Also restaurant Las Brisas was very good. And breakfast buffet in Laguna was excellent.

Room Tip: It's worth paying a bit more and staying in "casitas".
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Dear HannaN4,
Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. It is nice to read that overall your experience was a good one, however I do apologize for the inconveniences you experiences. Please note I have stressed our process with the bell staff and the front desk so that this kind of miscommunication is eradicated.
On the same note, your compliments on the cleanliness of the rooms and menu at Las Brisas, has been shared with the appropriated departments as to extend your appreciation.
We hope to welcome you back to the “Venice of Mexico” on your next visit to Riviera Maya.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed at one of the casitas and it was wonderful. I was very impressed with the service - I travelled with an older person with limited mobility and they went out of their way to help us move around the big property. The rooms are spacious and really nice, very comfortable. They have bikes that can be picked up in stations and dropped off anywhere.
We had the breakfast buffet every day and it was good; my only bad experience was with lunch at the restaurant by the pool: the service was just simply non-existent (wait staff was MIA).

The hotel is close to Playa del Carmen (15 min car ride) and 40-45 minutes away from the water parks.
I'd come back to have a relaxing long weekend; it was just gorgeous.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2013

A word to describe this hotel is grandiose...I was astonished at the lavish floors, furniture, ceilings, and decoration. And it really gave me a sense of "I'm in Mexico and nowhere else." The property is quite expansive featuring small roads throughout the hotel. Transportation in the hotel is by golf cart and bikes. The golf carts pass every 10-15 minutes, but sometimes a little longer depending on the time. The bikes are offered free to guests and can be picked up at several stations around the hotel and dropped off just as easily. The beach left much to be desired, the tide was high, it's rocky, and swimming was considered to be very risky and dangerous. The beach didn't give me the feel of the crystal blue waters in the Yucatan Peninsula.

The restaurant La Laguna features quite an array of dishes for breakfast. This was the only time I ate there. It was very good. The Las Brisas restaurant was also very good. Many regional dishes all with a touch of identity by each chef.

The room was big. Bigger than I would have liked to pay for. I would have opted for something smaller if they had it. The bathroom was bigger than most I've seen in a long time. It offers a great deal of amenities and there is little that you're left wanting.

I didn't like that the balcony was small due to the fact that I am a smoker. It was windy, and the only spot one could watch the television from was the door so smoke and ashes were blowing into my room making it smell bad. I also did not like the prices of everything. These resorts really take advantage of their customers. There isn't even an ATM on the property and all ATMs along the road suffer from bad internet service. So getting cash is a real big problem at this resort. It also makes one feel like the experience is being forced onto you. Taxi's are cash only, and no ATM on the property? Somebody isn't doing their job right.

Overall I give this resort a good rating, the service is good and the hotel is very luxurious. The prices are high, and moving around the hotel can get annoying, but overall a very pretty place to stay.

Room Tip: Make sure to take enough essentials to last the trip because the stores on property are absurdly hig...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Dear alexfganem1,

Thank you for describing Fairmont Mayakoba as grandiose and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I’m happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel facilities and the cuisine offered at La Laguna and Las Brisas restaurants, our chefs work diligently to offer menus with the true flavors of Mexico and the Yucatan.
We look forward to welcome you back to Riviera Maya.

Regards,

Reviewed 26 May 2013

we went to El Puerto on May 2013, we were 4 people. arriving to this luxury hotel/restaurant we've seen the surrounding park, everything was s beautiful, you really feel the luxury f the place.
we spent a wonderful dinner in El Puerto. the New Chef Diego Stefan suggested us "the chef special"... delicious!!!! I absolutely and strngly suggest t have a dinner/lunch here!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2013 via mobile

Our family had stayed at this resort for 4 nights in Casista, overall we loved the resort. I would recommend who are traveling with kids.

My son 3 years old loved the cart shuttle and rode on it every single time we had to move within the resort (there is a golf cart shuttles around the property) and we did not have to wait for it for more than 5 minutes. They seem to be available from very early in the morning to late in the night. We had many great staff who drove us throughtout the property, especially Christopher, he went an extra step to explain about the resort and even told us great spots to take pictures.

Prior to arriving at the resort I read one reviewer who wrote that you never feel the resort is filled with people and I had to agree very much about it. When I am in the restaurant / pool / beach area you never feel you are overwhelmed with people. My wife and I were sometimes asking ourselves where are every one.

We had tried all three restaurants and our favorite was La Laguna, it is right next to the main pool so we could just walk up to it after swimming and our server was Ivan everytime we went there. We really appreciated his service he would remember our name and direct us with the name. One thing that we loved at the Fairmont is kids eat and drink for free. There is a kids menu available in all restaurants same menu there are about 10 different items to chose from (pizza, quesadillas, steaks, chicken fingers etc).

Before arriving to the hotel, even I read the reviews and surf around the website I could not really picture myself with the resorts and the amenities but during our check in Abdali made it very easy for us to understand all different areas of the resort and the amenities. We asked many questions and he answered all.

On the last day of our stay we walked around the Mayakoba natural trail which was vey beautiful and awesome but there were strong mosquitos who would not stop biting us make sure you wear proper dress when walking the trail.

Overall our vacation was awesome and would love to comeback to this hotel.
Thank you Fairmont Mayakoba and staff.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear kimhd02,
Thank you for your wonderful comments; it is with a big smile that I read your stay with us at Fairmont Mayakoba was a pleasant one and that Christopher, Ivan and Amauri were of much assistance during your vacations.

We look forward to welcome you back!

Reviewed 22 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed 4nights at Casita room. The overall experience was great, especially the staff.

We tried all restaurants in the resort. In our opinion, the best one is the one by the beach. It looks good & taste good.
Buffet Breakfast by the pool is also amazing. There are huge selections of food, juices, fruits. And the price is around 25$ (cheaper than inroom dining).

What we liked the most was the complimentary boat tour around Mayakoba property. The guide explained about how the resort was built and the ecology in this area. We saw many wildlives (crocodile, birds, fishes, local raccoon, iguana), fossils, and underwater river. The tour is free, but the seat is limited, so you should reserve the tour asap.

One tip for the traveller: Do not exchange the money at Cancun airport. The rate is very bad. We got 9.5peso/1$ at the airport, while Fairmont rate is 12.3peso/1$. You can also use US dollar everywhere.

• Stayed: May 2013