“This is what dreams are made of”
Review of Fairmont Mayakoba

Fairmont Mayakoba
Ranked #10 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 17 February 2009

When I am stressed, I think of my stay at the Mayakoba and it seems to get all better.

We stayed there for four nights after attending a work conference near Tulum. I've stayed at several placed in the Riviera Maya, and this is by far the best place I've stayed. In fact, I think I would rank this as the best hotel experience I've ever had.

Our first night was in a Private Casita, which was set back from the ocean but had great ocean views from the private rooftop pool. The roof sprang a leak during the torrential rains overnight and, after some exceptionally quick and professional problem solving on the hotel's part, we were moved to an Private Oceanfront Casita. This is the one in the pictures that has the private pool looking out over the ocean. Every morning, I would make coffee and walk out to our private palapa just a few steps from the casita. The suite is very large with a full living room, a huge bedroom, and two bathrooms. The master bathroom has glass walls looking out to a private garden. Simply breathtaking.

We ate at La Laguna and Las Brisas. Both were very good with excellent service. Las Brisas is expensive, but it's worth it as a splurge. We also did a "cooking class" with their Executive Chef. It wasn't so much a cooking class as a kitchen tour. But the Exec. Chef was great and I was impressed with the lengths that the hotel goes to to ensure sanitation and food safety.

The staff is very attentive. Pretty much any wish you ask will be granted. Our private butler even offered to unpack for us, which we declined.

The only thing I would caution is that this property is very large and very spread out. Getting to the beach from the main hotel complex is a 5 min. golf cart ride. But they do have bicycles all around the property, and that's a fun way to get around. If you're staying in the private area by the beach, it's the same ride to get up to the main complex where most of the restaurants are, but the oceanfront restaurant (Las Brisas) is just a short walk from the private area).

This was an unforgettable four days and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Be_devine

Reviewed 16 February 2009

The Fairmont Mayakoba is a beautifully maintained resort that lives up to its 5-star rating. My husband and I spent 5 nights here in January and absolutely loved it. We have been to the Riviera Maya two other times and stayed at very nice resorts but neither of these resorts compared to the Fairmont in terms of the beauty of the property, comfort and luxury of the accommodations, and the impeccable service. The beach is fairly wide and nicely kept; however, it is approximately 1/2 a mile from most of the resort rooms (there are some rooms located beach-side). It's a leisurely walk, bike ride (bikes provided by the hotel), or convenient golf cart-ride from the staff that frequently travels back-and-forth to the beach. My husband and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mas73
Reviewed 11 February 2009

My husband and I just got back from our stay at Fairmont Mayakoba.

Overall, the resort is wonderful. The property is gorgeous. It is large, but my husband and I enjoyed that aspect. Yes, the beach is far from most rooms but it can easily be reached by a long leisurely walk, a quick bike ride or any of the carts which pass by regularly. The beach itself is well-maintained and service is excellent. In fact, the service everywhere was excellent.

The main pool area is beautiful and service is excellent. But, the pools were very cold..too cold to swim in.

The rooms are wonderful. I highly recommend joining the President's club because they will upgrade your room if they are not at full capacity and you get free in room internet access. The rooms are spacious and clean. The bed is a bit hard (I find this with most hotels in Mexico) and my husband and I woke up several times in the night because of this. The bathroom is very spacious and modern.

The food and drink are probably the biggest drawback of this resort. It is definitely not four star resort food and drink. In fact, it is closer to the quality of an average all-inclusive. Overall the food was bland and average and the drinks did not taste like they had any alcohol in them. We ended up going to Playa del Carmen the last few nights just to get some decent meals (Playa is about 15-20 minute (and 15-20 dollar cab ride, but I would highly recommend traveling there for evening shopping, drinks and dinner). We do however recommend visiting the Cafe Maya (the little convenience store at the Fairmont) and getting snacks and drinks for the room. The Cafe is also a good place for a cheap breakfast (a bagel or muffin).

We agree with other reviewers that they do seem to nickel and dime you a bit. The bland food is not cheap (although admittedly not outrageously expensive for a four star resort). Also, the resort fee and the daily service charges are an unwelcome add-on. When you are calculating the nightly room rate, you really need to add on $25 or so.

Overall, if the cleanliness, quality and modernity of the rooms and the natural features of the property are important to you then I highly recommend staying here. We stayed in a lagoon villa and we saw wildlife all the time including fish and turtles in the lagoon and birds in the trees and our porch. We absolutely loved the property itself. If you are looking for a resort with amazing food to eat all your meals at then this is not the resort for you.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 9 February 2009

The Fairmont Mayakoba is a beautiful sprawling modern resort. It truly makes a great impression upon seeing it. It is really not as big as it seems at first. We found it very easy to get around. Lots of modern pools to go around and they all provided a nice ambiance. But what really stood above all was the wonderful service we encountered from everyone there.

We stayed in a Signature Casita in the 300 block and it was simply gorgeous. Our huge terrace overlooked the canals and it was so nice to go out there in the morning. The bedroom was great, so big and clean. The bed was super comfy as well as the pillows.

We ate at all the restaurants except El Puerto and we even had service at the pool and lounge (delicious sushi). The food was pretty good and the prices very reasonable. The service provided by everyone who served us was magnificent. There is nothing to complain about there.

We also rented a car at the Hertz on the property and drove down to Tulum. I would highly recommend it. You also do not pay overnight valet at the Fairmont if you rent from the Hertz on site.

There was nothing that was too big or too small for the staff to accommodate. They were great! Always with a smile, super polite and they remembered your name.

I would definitely stay at the Fairmont Mayakoba next time I visit the Riviera Maya.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kguerra
Reviewed 19 January 2009

My family and I just returned from a family vacation in Playa del Carmen, leaving the marvelous Fairmont Mayakoba far too early.

Overview: Consistent with other reviews, this is a large property both in rooms (400) and acreage. It appears about 1/2 the rooms are in a 4-story hotel building, and the other half in 2-story casita buildings occupying 4-6 rooms each. Although we booked a standard Fairmont Room, as a Fairmont President's Club member, we were given an upgrade to a deluxe Casita room which was on the 2nd floor of our Casita building.

Room: We had a room with 2 Queen beds which easily accomodated our party of 2 adults and 2 children (both under 10). It was a 5-star room in every way with luxury linens, feather pillows, dual closets, dual bathroom sinks, large soaking tub and large separate rain shower. The toilet also has its own privacy closure.

Housekeeping: As experienced travelers, we have gotten into the habit of calling for housekeeping service when we leave the room for the pool or out to dinner. Housekeeping was "PERFECT" in every regards, with our room always spotless upon returning, and a message on our phone from a Royal Service coordinator insuring that the request had been met. We even once had to have housekeeping change the linens at 2 am due to a sick child -- they were in our room within 10 minutes, quietly taking care of our problem. Special note: there is 24-hour urgent care available from a doctor at the property.

Pool/Beach: The main pool area in the "Laguna" section of the hotel is quite expansive. Multiple bar set-ups, a separate and heated children's pool, water slide (maybe about 30 meters long) . A separate "adults only" pool section was closed during our stay for maintenance -- it appears they were rebuilding a trellis shade structure. The weather during our stay was quite rainy, so we did not utilize the pool wait staff during our stay. The beach was clean with lots of beach lounge chairs, and palapa structures every 30 feet or so for those that wanted more shade. The surf was very calm on our arrival day, similar to the Kahala in Hawaii for readers who are familiar with that property, but for the rest of the stay, red flags were raised and the surf was quite strong -- 3-4 foot waves crashing a the shore. The lifeguards said that this was the exception, not the rule.

Dining: Breakfast buffet at "La Laguna" was everything you expect in a highly rated resort -- Chafing dishes of breakfast meats, pancakes, mexican specialties, a cold buffet of meats, cheeses, and smoked salmon, baskets of house-made pastries, and a cooked-to-order station for omelets, waffles, soppapillas, and eggs. Breakfast buffet was 290 pesos, so just over $20US while we were there. Children 6-12 are 200 pesos, but they only charged us for our one child who was 9.

We had dinner at La Laguna which is mostly Mexican Specialties and seafood -- nothing bad, just nothing too memorable. The other dinner we had on property was at El Puerto. This is the "steak/seafood" restaurant on the property, dinner only, and their 2nd best restaurant. Dinner was an unexpected surprise -- service was outstanding, special orders such as a split Caesar Salad (not on menu) was handled without fuss, as was a side of sauted Spinach (we didn't want the Creamed Spinach. The waiters were quite food knowledgeable, always addressed us by name, and created a terrific evening.

We did not have dinner at the 4-Star Las Brisas Restaurant, which is located by the ocean. On another note, we did have dinner at Casa del Lago at the neighboring Rosewood Property. This is very fine dining with a dress code, and the meal was again, fantastic and ran under $200 for the four of us, including wine.

Entertainment: Even though the property was maybe 30% full prior to the weekend, and maybe 60% full during the weekend, the Fairmont did not cut back any of the entertainment in the dining outlets. Evening entertainment in the lobby bar, and local guitar and precussion (marimba) in the La Laguna for breakfast. Music was everywhere and was a terrific surprise.

Gym: $10 per person usage fee (waived if Presidents Club member). Standard eliptical, treadmill, weigh machine set-up. Separate yoga/pilates room. Plenty of towels, bottled water, free use of head phones, and televisions on each of the aerobic equipment.

It is hard not to rate the Fairmont Mayakoba a 5-star property, Yes, it is geared towards a corporate crowd, but from a facilities and service standpoint, it hit on all cylinders for us during our stay and compares favorably to other beach resorts we have stayed at including the JW Marriott Cancun, Four Season Great Exuma, the Grand Wailea in Maui. I would still rate the Four Seasons Wailea as the top beach resort we have stayed at in the last 4-years. We would not hesitate in a second to return.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Henny27
Reviewed 19 January 2009

We just returned from the Fairmont Mayakoba after a wonderful stay with our four year old boy. Everything was great (except for weather) Service was exceptional. We stayed in a casita by the beach and it was a long hall back to the kids pool / lobby, etc.
The next time I go I will either stay in a fairmont room in the main building or a suite because the upgrade to a casita was not worth it. the food at la puerta in the lobby was excellent but the other restaraunts were average ( we did not eat at the fine dining restrnt Las Brisas). Ate at the neighboring Rosewood twice and it was excellent. I will stay at the Rosewood if I go back without my son, but for kids I think Fairmont much better option. Recomend renting a car and eating in Playa del Carmen a few nights. We ate at John Grays, ristorante di bruno, and divino and all three were great. Golf at El Cameleon was great so if you golf bring your clubs because rental charge is high and balls are very expensive. Only complaint I have is that I felt the staff should spend more time cleaning up beach and pool area.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 January 2009

First time travelling to Mexico although have been all over the world at many 5 star hotels. Picked this location to relax and chill with family. Picked this hotel because of "5 star rating".

Positives:
Quick unremarkable check in process
"Upgraded" to Deluxe casita (same as regular except on lagoon)
Hotel room was nice and clean with better than average bathrooms.
Beautiful grounds
Nice gym and spa
Very good buffet breakfast
Uncrowded

Negatives:
Average food and drinks
Expensive food and drinks
All 3 restaurants NOT open at times which limits your choices as to where to eat
Pools are not heated and are very cold
Distance to ocean
Multiple incorrect items on bill at check out
Too much construction going on around pool area that limited our ability to relax
Staff is friendly but not trained to 5 star standards