5,046 results
All reviewsel puertosignature casitalas brisasdeluxe casitala laguna restaurantwillow stream spapresidents clubbmw bikesgolf cartlobby loungelagoon viewresort feebanyan treebeautiful propertybeach areamain buildingall inclusive option
Reviewed 21 November 2017

We stayed at the Fairmont Mayakoba when we were in Cancun. I have to say it was a absolutely right decision. From the beginning planning with the concierge to the tour office, airport pick up, hotel porter ( thanks Mario for the great advice and service), restaurant staffs and spa, everywhere made us feel like home. Hotel located in Playa de Carmen which is 40 mins away from the airport, but it was a true paradise. Very quiet and family friendly. We stayed at the hotel for 3 days, and we felt like we should stay longer because there were so many activities we could do without going out; for example, Kayaking, stand up paddle broad, biking, swimming, boating around Mayakoba. The two pools were so pretty!!!
Specially thanks the housekeeping team. We brought so many cosmetic products with our trip, the housekeeping staff helped us organized the vanity table everyday. The chef from El Puerto also made our trip special. We loved the chilli sauce a lot, so we were thinking if we could buy some back to Canada. The server told their chef, and he packed 4 little bottles of the house made chilli sauce for us to take it back. It was so warm and special to us.
If I need to go back to Cancun again, I have to choose Fairmont Mayakoba. You would enjoy the paradise

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cecilia L
Isamu T, Isamu Tsuji / Quality Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Dear Cecilia L
Thank you very much for your comments about Fairmont Mayakoba and our staff. We hope you to serve you soon!

Reviewed 20 November 2017

My family and I visited the Fairmont Mayakoba resort Nov 4th-11th 2017 on a family vacation. I have to say that it was the best vacation I have ever had. This was our 3rd time vacationing here,as a family. The resort is in a beautiful location, and has been recently enhanced by a beach replenishment project. The last time we visited the property was 2 years ago.

Although past experiences were great, this vacation seemed as though The Fairmont Mayakoba has "upped the ante." I cannot speak enough about the people who work there, as they accommodated us perfectly. For example, the Executive Chef of the resort, Chef Eric DeMaeyer introduced himself to our family one morning at the breakfast buffet. He was fantastic with assisting us with any questions, and really cared to make sure we were happy with everything. He even met us upon checkout, to say good bye in the main lobby. I thank him for everything he did, and look forward to seeing him again. I know he was very busy that week as the PGA tour was also held there.

I would also like to name others for their great service: Jorge Jimenez, from housekeeping,Christina and Cynthia the concierges, Zulemy and Ali, and everyone at the kid's club, Our babysitters Carolina, and Suridaday. Alfonso and Estafania at Las Brisas ,Rudolfo and Edy at the beach, The hostesses at La Laguna Breakfast Buffet, and all the rest of the employees whose names I don't remember, but did an excellent job. Thank You for your service! We will be back next year again.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Keith W

Dear Keith W And family
We love your words about Fairmont Mayakoba. Please let us know your net visit to prepare a even better stay for you and your family.

Reviewed 20 November 2017

My husband and I just spent 4 wonderful and relaxing nights at the Fairmont Mayakoba. The property is lovely, and the friendly staff made our stay the very best.

We arrived on the last day of the OHL classic PGA tournament and were excited to find out we were in time to watch the last few holes of the tournament. We stopped for a quick bite in the lobby bar, Diana did a great job making us feel welcome and the chargrilled octopus was absolutely delicious, tender, the cocktails are very creative and delicious! A short walk out to the 17th green of el Camaleon allowed us to see the leaders complete the last two holes, what fun!

We enjoyed dinner two nights of our stay at El Puerto. Our favorite dishes were black cod, the short rib, and the hamachi and tuna sashimi appetizer was delish. Eric provided amazing service, when we told him how much we enjoyed the ice cream (coconut basil and tamarind sorbet), he went out of his way to bring us a salted caramel ice cream to try a taste, so delicious, and he was so kind.

I have to say our best day was our full day on the beautiful newly renovated beach, amazing white sand, and Filiberto did a great job making sure we had everything we needed. He has a great sense of humor and once we told him we were enjoying some of the different tequilas, gave us some great tips on some new ones to try. Fairmont Management, you are lucky to have such great employees like Filiberto! The daily catch ceviche was so fresh and a very generous portion.

My husband and I both had massages at Willow Stream, the facility is top notch and the staff wonderful. Make sure you arrive early to enjoy the relaxation pool and water therapy areas, a real treat.

We took a wildlife boat tour through the canals, one of our favorite things, it was included in resort fee. The water is so clear you can see all kinds of fish, tarpin, tilapia, snook, snappers, turtles. And beautiful birds. Not to miss, super relaxing.

We had two dinners and a few lunches at Las Brisas. The cocktails were absolutely amazing. Abraham, who was bartending, is a true artist! Every cocktail he prepared was a work of art! The corn lobster bisque was so good we ordered it twice. Pablo also did a great job as a server.

The inclusive plan was a very good choice and value, especially for a 4 night stay. We never ran out of options. There are very few limitations and the quality of the choices are much better than other 5 star all-inclusive properties in our opinion. We had breakfast each morning at La Laguna, ordered al a carte because we don't really like buffet style. The patio overlooking the water is lovely and the fresh juices are great variety and very good. We really enjoyed the excellent service that Sergio and Hugo provided.

We were in the 500 block of rooms in a signature casita overlooking the canal. The room was very clean, great amenities, beautiful atrium view from the bath. We were located in the center of the property close to La Laguna, mid way between the lobby/el Puetro and the beach/las Brisas. Perfect for us. We enjoyed the walks through the beautiful grounds. If you don't like to walk, there are carts coming every 10 minutes or so to take you where you would like to go. If you want to be closer to the lobby, ask for lower numbered rooms. 600 and 700 rooms are closer to the beach.

We celebrated my birthday during our stay and they brought us a beautiful birthday dessert to our room and decorated our bed with hibiscus flowers, very thoughtful.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank familyof5fromco

Dear familyf5romco
Thank you very much for your comments about Fairmont Mayakoba and our staff and the great description of all the property. We hope you to serve you soon for your next birthday or any other celebration!

Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

My best friend and I travelled to the Fairmont mayakoba three years ago and we could not wait to come back. For our birthdays we wanted a relaxing vacations from our busy lives with our three kids each. The time of year is definitely quiet in the resort but we loved having lots of downtime.
The service each stay is exceptional always. From front desk to housekeeping to every bartender and server. The staff go over and above!
I have celiac disease and always find the most amazing alternatives for gluten free options at every Fairmont hotel. While dining at La Laguna, they were aware of my dietary restrictions but accidentally put soy sauce on my meal. I had two bites and the server came rushing out to tell me what had happened. Unfortunately too late but the restaurant did everything to make up for the mistake. From making a new meal, to the chef coming out to apologize, to the hotel sending a bottle of champagne and fruit platter to our room, to an email again apologizing for the mistake.
Two days later we were coming back from playing tennis and there was a chef who spotted us and quickly apologized again and invited us to have lunch with them at la laguna. We of course said yes and met him in the lobby. Turns out he was the executive chef of the resort, giving us a full tour of the back of house. We felt so special! It was so interesting and informative and just awesome to see how big of an establishment was run behind the scenes.
We turned a corner and Eric brought us into what looked like a cooler door. To our surprise there was a fully set table waiting for us. It was a picnic type table with a setting for 4, and we quickly learned it was for us, the executive chef and our lovely chef from La Laguna, Eduardo Quintane.
They had prepared the most incredible family style meal, wine and wonderful company together. We truly felt so lucky to have had such an amazing experience. It was like nothing either of us had ever been a part of. The food was incredible and the gesture even more so. The ‘chef’s table’ is an afternoon we will never forget.
Fairmont is and always will be my favorite hotel. They strive for excellence and that is no different at the Mayakoba. The beach is absolutely gorgeous now that they have redone it, the service impeccable. The resort is stunning and we took advantage of the fact we could walk so much and enjoy the scenery. We didn’t once take the golf taxi shuttle that are offered around the resort as we loved getting exercise.
This is a resort we hope to return for a third visit. Definitely zero complaints!
We are grateful for Chef Eric & Chef Eduardo for taking our service the extra mile for an extraordinary experience
Thanks!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank 15banffgal

We really appreciate your review. Hope you can come back very soon!

Reviewed 19 November 2017

My partner and I stayed at the Fairmont Mayakoba from 11/11-11/17. We both agree it was the best resort we have stayed in around the Cancun area. We always stay at an all-inclusive – so that option at the Fairmont was what sold on giving the property a try. We left relaxed and incredibly happy by our choice with every intention of returning in the future.

PROPERTY | ***** (5/5)
The property surrounding Mayakoba is spectacular. It is well maintained with beautiful gardens, lush pool areas and just a positive general atmosphere. The property is spaced out – but once you learn it can be mastered relatively easy (expect from the front of the resort to the beach).

*Tip* Do not hesitate to walk between some of the room areas. They are the intended walking paths and are MUCH faster. The cart/bike path winds throughout the entire resort making walking times far longer. The only time you must stay on them to get around is from the main resort area to the beach.

BEACH | ***** (5/5)
The beach is stunning. A few reviews indicated that the beach was small – we didn’t feel this way at all. They could have simply been older reviews – but I wanted to clarify that point. In addition, the beach for the resort extends far to the south.

The resort was likely not even half full while we were there so seats were plentiful on the beach and at every pool area.

There were a few reviews that also remarked about seaweed and its smell. First, seaweed was not much of issue of while we were there. Secondly, the smell that some (I believe) refer to is a sulfuric smell that comes from Mayakoba’s natural ecosystem. We occasionally smelled it at the beach – but it wasn’t overwhelming. You will certainly smell it when you go through the forest to go to the beach.

*Tip* The bar and food comes from Brisas – so sitting closer to the restaurant will offer you better food and alcohol service. We sat rather far away and found ourselves ordering 2 drinks at a time.

POOLS | ***** (5/5)
The pools are this resort are very nice. There are four pools:
Main Pool – This pool is extensive with a kids area, waterslide, swim-up bar, and several inlets with chairs around them to lounge. There are even a few shallow areas designed to lounge in the pool. There are two bars including the swim-up. The other is a service bar for the south side of the main pool area and the adults-only pool.

Adults-Only Infinity Pool – We found ourselves lounging here the majority of the stay. It had plenty of seats, was quiet for reading and good wait service. The pool overlooks the Mayakoba forest and small waterway.

Front Pool – Near the lobby is a pool that we did not sit out, but based on other reviews I would venture to guess it does not have wait service available.

Beach Pool – A faux-infinity pool is available directly by Brisas. We never sat here, but you walk past it on your way to the beach. If a pool is more your style but keeping the scenery of the beach, it will be fine. It you want some serenity you’ll need to look elsewhere (far south of resort beach).

*Tip* It seems that most pool bars open at 10 AM but service wasn’t really starting until 10:30 or 11:00 AM depending on the day.

AMENITIES | **** (4/5)
The resort offers few ‘bonus’ amenities for guests. There are very few (almost no) coordinated activities. Guests are generally on their own to find their own entertainment outside of the expected services. They do have a few benefits including bikes & golf carts to take guests around.
Bikes - For the first half of our stay there were NO bikes to use. I assume this is because of the Mayakoba PGA tournament (the golf course weaves around the Fairmont). There were some available the second half but I didn’t feel they were in the best places or managed well. One morning we woke up early to walk the beach and when we needed to return the bike station was empty. They should do a better job of distributing bikes throughout.
Golf Carts – They have large golf carts going around the resort to transport guests as well. As I mentioned before, the golf cart path is NOT the fastest routes – so do not feel obligated to take them. Some days carts would come by every 2-3 minutes and some days we waited up to 10 minutes.

SPA | ***** (5/5)
We did do a couples massage while we were on property. Both of us agreed they were some of the best massages (deep tissue) we had ever received. In addition, the spa facilities are beautiful, spacious and well maintained. There is a roof top pool and a hot tub. They also have a hot tub in each gender’s subsequent changing room along with a sauna, steam room, showers, and all the amenities to leave the resort ready for dinner (if needed). With a spa treatment you to get to use the facilities all day (even leave and then return).

ROOM | ***** (5/5)
We were placed in a Signature Casita King Room and loved it. It was spacious, clean and comfortable. My main complaint would be the lack of storage space (if we were staying longer).

*Tip* The comforters and pillows are down/feather. I highly recommend requesting down/feather free if you need them early and often. I requested them 3 times before they were finally switched out – after a very uncomfortable allergy night of sleep.
---------------------

ALL INCLUSIVE OPTION | ***** (5/5)
There have been many reviews regarding the all-inclusive option (Premium Appetite for Luxury). We did it and feel it was a huge value and truly helped us relax. While the name suggests food and drinks being included – it also has other benefits including all non-motorized activities at the beach including the snorkeling trip, paddle boards, etc… If you like to be active during a vacation – it may be a way to cover food costs while also helping you enjoy everything offered.

Alcohol | ***** (5/5)
My partner and I drink (a lot) – so I wanted to add a separate section to discuss the alcohol options on property. They really are fairly limitless.
Beer - The biggest complaint is their very limited inclusive beer menu, but that is made up by the extensive wine menu.
Wine – All wines by the glass are included except for champagne – but you can get Cava or Prosecco. You cannot purchase bottles on the plan – only glasses which was never a problem.
Liquor – Several major, high-end liquor brands are available for consumption. All drinks need to be under $18. A few of the craft cocktails are over that price – but none that were too interesting to me. The biggest challenge is understanding the gap with some specialty, special-order cocktails. We ordered French Martini’s, Chocolate Martinis, Espresso Martinis (all with Grey Goose) and all were included. We always asked when we ordered if the drink would be under $18 and that didn’t’ seem to be problematic for them to know right away.

*Point of Note* Every bar has their own specialty beverage menu and the restaurant bars have fantastic fresh ingredients.

*Tip* Unlike some all-inclusives that may not have bars open until 10:30 or 11:00 AM – alcohol is available during breakfast, bar and takeaway from La Laguna. We occasionally had a Bloody Mary or Mimosa to kick off the day.
---------------------

OVERALL FOOD | **** (4/5)
Food at the resort is fantastic. There were a few hiccups (not food related) that kept me from giving this category a full five stars. As other reviews have stated there are only a few food options unavailable for all-inclusive guests and those including menu items for 2, lobster and high-end beef. The food servings are every restaurant (minus Lobby Lounge) are HUGE. I would prefer a small plates style menu or even a half-portion option. It was so much and, when you are all-inclusive we’d love to have the option to try more food.

Main Pool | **** (4/5)
Lunch - Food for the main pool and adults pool is from La Laguna with different menu. It is good – but after a few days it can feel limited. We only ate lunch there 3 days and felt like we had tried everything that we wanted.

Beach Area | **** (4/5)
Lunch – Food around the beach area was a different menu than the front of the resort – but had the same challenge of a limited menu. The food was great – just potentially repetitive.

Brisas | ***** (5/5)
Brisas is the resorts signature restaurant. It was good – but as other reviews noted – know how to order.
Lunch – The lunch menu was fantastic. My partner and I both ordered tacos – lobster and fish. Both were great and had different flavors making them unique.
Dinner – The food options for dinner were great, but our experiences a little more mixed. All the appetizers we had were excellent. My partner loved everything he ordered for his entrée but I was less satisfied. In both cases I, for unknown reasons, ordered not my top choice. I’m confident that result in my disappointment.

El Puerto | ***** (5/5)
El Puerto is a latin-asian fusion with more Asian than fusion. I’m perfectly fine with that. They are only open for dinner – but considering its location under the lobby at the front of the resort would mean little foot traffic. The two nights we dined there we both had great meals and it was my favorite restaurant. The Seafood Fried Rice was exceptional along with the Sushi Platter for 2 (included in all-inclusive).

La Laguna | **** (4/5)
La Laguna is the main restaurant on property as it serves every meal. It serves Mexican food.
Breakfast – Every morning we simply had the buffet (they do have a la carte options). The buffet is extensive with standard breakfast foods changing preparations daily (ie: potatoes, beef, eggs). In addition they had large cereal, sweets, yogurt, fruit stations along with on-demand prepared omelets, pancakes, French toast, etc… They do serve alcohol in the morning, but we weren’t aware until our last two days when a server brought it up.
Dinner – Sadly we only ate here once for dinner of no fault of our own (reason below). The menu looked great and the food we ordered was good. My partner was, once again, happier with his entrée than I, but it was likely an ordering error by me.

*Complaint* The second night we expected to dine at La Laguna it was closed for fumigating. We had a reservation via OpenTable and no one called us to tell us it was closed. I found that shocking. If we were staying at another property and made the trip expecting for our reservation to be upheld we would have been incredibly disappointed.

Lobby Bar/Lounge | ***** (5/5)
The Lobby Bar is a great place to grab a drink in the evening and overlook the resort. The staff were always friendly and helpful. It was also the main gathering place for many guests in the evening.
Dinner – The night we could not dine at La Laguna we decided to eat at the Lobby Bar as several reviews said it was good. The food was great with the sushi (coming from El Puerto) was high-quality and delicious. The menu is small bites – so you can order multiple things (which is really my preference). The corn fritters are wonderful.
---------------------

We look forward to returning and if you are unsure about whether the Fairmont Mayakoba is for you – it probably is.

Room Tip: Rooms right before beach area grant you quick access all around.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Brandon C

We really appreciate your review. Hope you can come back very soon!