Just returned from a wonderful trip to the Fairmont. After reading the reviews I was well prepared. I travelled with my mom and two boys (11 and 13) We all loved the bikes, pools and beach. We rented a car from Hertz (3 days), but could not get one later in the week due to the busy Spring Break season. It's great to have a car, as there is not much to do and the tours are not my thing. We love to snorkel and travelled to Xel Ha, and Akumal. I highly recommend both. Ask the concierge about going to Akumal in a car. Best snorkelling and day trips are south of Playa and getting through Playa will take 30 minutes if you don't know the short cuts. We did the Hidden Worlds trip as well. It is very rustic, but lots of fun. My boys loved it, but the Jungle ride was rough on my mom.
We ate at Fusion on the beach in Playa and the food and atmosphere were perfect.
The beach is amazing, and you can walk for miles in both directions. Take your snorkel gear up to Hacienda tres rios (about 1 mile north) Grab an umbrella at the beach early in the day . It's the best place to have lunch, though you may have to flag someone down to wait on you.
The bikes are really great and the best way to get around the resort. People do try to stash them at their doors. Don't be shy about taking one if you need it. It's big and it's not close to the beach, but if you like to be active and outdoors it's excellent. If you don't like to be active and outdoors, maybe you should go to Florida.
The canal tour is a must! Book it when you get there. The yummy muffins in the store by the pool are the best deal in the place if you're trying to watch your money. The wine is very pricey, so buy a couple bottles in Playa and put them in the little fridge in your room. Cork screws and wine glasses are in the rooms. And cokes are $4 each so you may want to have extra in the room. Don't bother buying the water in the restaurant. We drank the tap water and no one got sick. Plus, bottled water is bad for the environment.
The food was okay, but nothing to rave about.
The rooms are great, very large, huge bathrooms and comfortable beds. We had a deluxe and signature casita. The only difference was the view. My room had a connecting door and we could hear the neighbors pretty clearly. But the room without the connecting door didn't seem to have that problem. The birds are pretty noisy in the morning, but I liked to get up and take early walks on the beach. If you're a light sleeper, then 6:30 will be your wake up call.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 45 acre Fairmont Mayakoba, Riviera Maya, a AAA 5 Diamond Award property, boasts 401 rooms and suites, including a collection of beach and lagoon casitas, offering guests extraordinary views of the grounds. Guests at Fairmont Mayakoba can take advantage of several recreational activities on property including exploring nature trails on foot or BMW bikes, scenic boat tours on lanchas through crystal clear canals, sunbathing on the soft white-sand beach or at one of the property's several pools, non-motorized watersports (kayaks and catamarans), outdoor tennis and paddle courts, golfing on the renowned El Camaleon golf course (host to the only official PGA TOUR event in Mexico), lessons at the Jim McLean Golf School or being pampered with signature Mayan treatments at the luxurious Willow Stream Spa. Children and teens have a space just for them at the Discovery Club or at the Teens Room by Sony PlayStation(R). Fairmont Mayakoba's commitment to the environment has earned the resort several awards and accolades including a seal of verification by Rainforest Alliance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Destinology, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Fairmont Hotels, Priceline, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Fairmont Mayakoba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Mayakoba Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Fairmont Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Fairmont Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Del Carmen Fairmont
- Fairmont Mayakoba Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen