“A different culinary experience”

La Perla Pixan Cuisine & Mezcal Store
Ranked #126 of 1,234 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Trail, Canada
“A different culinary experience”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We happened upon this restaurant as we returned to our hotel late one night. There was a digeridoo type music coming from this palapa style building and we strolled over to listen. A chap came out of the restaurant and explained that they cooked traditional food "for the soul" and offered me some fried grasshoppers. They were great! The next day we returned for lunch and were pleasantly surprised. The service was informal, friendly and reflected a genuine pride in their unique cuisine. The dishes were delicious and the flavours very different to what we had experienced in other PDC restaurants. The tortillas were cooked fresh over the wood stove and served with half a dozen salsas of varying flavours and heat. In keeping with the pre Hispanic theme the only alcoholic beverages are local beers and mescal. The latter served with salt and orange slices. Delicious! The authentic atmosphere was enhanced when we strolled out the back of the restaurant where there is a small area of bush, and saw a family of coati mundis, local possum like animals. All in all very enjoyable but be prepared to spend a fair amount for the experience. The dishes were not expensive per se but the portions were fairly small so big eaters would need more of them and then the bill adds up. I would definitely return if only for fried grasshoppers and Indio beer.

• Visited February 2014

New York City, New York
“A different Mexican experience”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We took a different turn heading back to out hotel from the tennis courts one day and fortunately discovered La Perla Pixan. The staff was super friendly and helped me because I actually wasn't familiar with many things on the menu..... and i speak Spanish !
It was brunch time and the fruit plate was incredible and unexpected. Prickly pears, yellow guava, the creamiest and most flavorful papaya I've ever tasted and another green cactus fruit accompanied by honey, cheese and tiny black seeds. Delicious and super fresh. I was excited to see Zucchini flowers on the menu which I've only seen once before in Colorado. They made delicious empanadas out of them and that was served with fresh, homemade dipping sauces. One of the super friendly staff gave us a piece of strawberry pie that her mom made and we drank cucumber lemonade. I've eaten a lot of Mexican food in my life but never anything like La Perla. Pixan means "soul" in Mayan and over the counter where the chef cooks, it says "aqui se cocina con pixan." La verdade. Really exceptional food cooked with love and very reasonably priced. I highly recommend it.

• Visited January 2014
Pleasant Ridge, Michigan
“Authentic Oaxacan food”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Bit of a deep cut, restaurant-wise, but really good food. The fare is from the Oaxaca region of Mexico. Moles, duck and chapulines were are represented. Not much English spoken, but there is a English menu.

Visited January 2014
Beaufort, South Carolina
“Good Meal During a Downpour”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

My rule when I drive into Playa is to take whatever parking spot is available in the general area of town where we want to be. Someone had just pulled out of a spot on Calle 34 a few spaces up from Quinta. It was late lunch time and raining. Then it started pouring. We ran into the nearest restaurant. Fortunately, it was attractive in rustic way and the signs let us know it featured "artisanal mescal;" if all else failed, we could at least get a drink.

The menu, which is in both Spanish and English, let us know that this would not be average fare. We have traveled a good bit around the Yucatan over the years, and this would not even be the somewhat standard Mayan food we've eaten in Merida, Valladolid, etc..

I ordered a mojito made with mescal, and it was good. It went well with the free appetizers--crispy grasshoppers with herbed salt and a special sauce.

For lunch I had duck tacos. My only complaint was that they were very small, and, since they were delicious, I would have liked more than three of them (and they were kind of pricey, too.

Meanwhile, even though we were then the only customers, we had to change tables. The downpour had gotten worse, and one of the design features of this restaurant is that it is basically open on three sides and the back part of the dining area does not have a roof--only an atmospheric canvas canopy. Our new table and seats stayed dry. As other customers arrived, they were seated strategically.

Since we were still hungry, and since we didn't want to run even the 100 yards/meters to the car, we ordered dessert. Ever health conscious, I ordered broiled (in mescal) bananas and sweet potatoes. Apparently it is usually flamed at the table, but not in this type of weather.

Bravo to the staff for keeping on and producing a fun and interesting lunch, under really horrible circumstances.

• Visited December 2013
Atlanta Region
“Hidden gem right off Quinta”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I had to write a review because almost everything available about this place online is in Spanish, making it difficult to get information but it is worth a visit while in Playa. It specializes in artisanal tequilas and indigenous and non-touristy Mexican food. The space itself is casual and comfortable with handmade wood furniture and surrounded by lush tropical foliage. Little English is spoken here, they opened almost 2 hours later than their Facebook page suggests, and didn't have every dish on their menu available; yet, it was so much better than most 5th Ave tourist traps that I refuse to dock them stars and choose to see it as part of the place's charm. There is an English menu available at the restaurant--online it is only in Spanish. They have many unique affordable dishes I haven't seen other places, including a long list of yummy salsas/moles to accompany the food. We had a smoked meat dish served with grilled, thick handmade tortillas, and several delicious sauces--I really enjoyed the peanut one. We also shared a chocolate tamale for dessert. Despite the language barrier, the service was attentive and the food very enjoyable. We would definitely return and try more dishes from their substantial menu.

• Visited January 2014