“Loved the RPRM”

Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Ranked #40 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 2 November 2011

My husband and I travelled to RPRM from October 19th-23rd for my birthday. We were overall very impressed with RPRM and will return one day. This is our 5th trip to the Riviera Maya area, we have stayed at two other Riu properties, Barceló Tropical and the Bahia Principe Tulum resorts. We have also stayed on the Riu Santa Fe in Los Cabos therefore feel we can give a fair review.
Front Desk:
The front desk staff was amazing, pleasant and very helpful. We unfortunately lost our luggage and they took care of contacting the airlines and making the arrangements while we started our vacation. We had e-mailed the resort one week prior with dinner reservation and requested a room in a certain block since I did my research prior to our trip. They gave us our requested reservation but were not able to give us the room I requested..No big deal..that was just a nice to have...but did get a courtyard view room which I did not pay for the upgrade so I was very pleased.

Room:
The room size was adequate, the beds were comfortable enough for us and there was plenty of storage space for two adults. We had requested a room closer to the beach but instead received a room right over the main buffet area (room #3094) which was great. The view of the main court yard was nice and the resort is laid out nicely and is not a very big complex so any room facing the courtyard would have been adequate. The room was very clean, the maids did a great job keeping the room tidy during our stay.

Food:
The buffet was great and always had many choices as others have commented on. There is always a lot of fresh fish and seafood options for lunch and dinner. I took a picture of the buffet and entertainment schedule which I will post since I find that information valuable for planning your week. We went to Krystal and Brazilian restaurants. Both were ok, nothing over the top that is for sure. The 24 hour sports bar has the best cappuccino ever..different machine then the buffet.

Beach and Location:
This one of my favourite beaches, the nicest I have seen in the Playa del Carmen area. Lots of shade and loungers. The bar service at the beach was a little slow so would spend the afternoons in the pool area. The location is great too, nice walk to other Riu’s and nice walk into town.

Service:
All of the staff are friendly and over accommodating. The staff at the bar were over the top but we tip generously so are usually taken care of. The level of service at the Riu chains is what keeps us coming back time after time.

8  Thank poopoos1
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Reviewed 2 November 2011

Jose Luis Serratos, Thanks for a wonderful stay in room 1046. The service provided by you at the front desk was outstanding. Because of you, we will for sure be coming back to the Palace! Management was also very helpful in allowing us to get a wonderful room upgrade, one of the few who actually replied to our email.

Food was great. We tried a few specialty restaurants but found the buffet to be actually better with more selection.

I was able to get my SCUBA certification and could not have done it without the help from Lisa, Matt and Lot Miranda, I will be back for the open water soon.

I have stayed at this hotel before but was not as pleased as I am now. Some changes must have been made because overall the vacation was perfect. Thanks and I'll be back

Regard James A., the old guy.

Room Tip: Try to get a room near the pool. It is away from the band and you can sleep.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank RESCUE D
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Arrived Sunday, October 17th to pouring down rain. The hotel distributed golf umbrellas so we could freely check things out. The rest of the week was beautiful weather!

Our room was very clean and the staff catered to our every request such was an extra blanket to aparticular beverages in our refrigerator.

The all inclusive restaurants were nice. Found the beef products to be very salty. Our favorite restaurants were the Japanese and Krystal. Previously read on Trip Advisor that these two were similar favorites.

The nightly entertainment was predictable after the first night. Not something to write home about.

Playa del Carmen was a very reasonable walk and interesting. Be ready to walk away if you see and item and want a better price...the vendors can adjust their prices.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank DeckRef
Reviewed 1 November 2011

My husband and I have stayed at probably 20 + all inclusives, mostly in Mexico and this was definitely one of my favorites. The property is in very good condition and the pools are laid out perfectly. We loved the pool bar and the tables in the water where we could play water uno. The service at and in the pool was exceptional. The restaurants we tried were excellent. We went twice for Japanese, once for Mexican and once to the Steak House. Never made it to the Brazilian or Fusion restaurants but heard from others at the resort that both of those were great as well. The quality of food at the main buffets was truly outstanding. We traditionally didn't each lunch as we didn't want to ruin our afternoon buzz but breakfast and dinner were both fantastic! The service in all of the bars and restaurants was the best of probably any all inclusive. Claudia in the Sports Bar makes the best bloody mary's and margaritas. Victor is the shot king and makes the most excellent specialty drinks in the Sports Bar! If there was anything I would change it would be for the property to offer Coke products versus Pepsi (Rum and Diet Pepsi is NOT the same as Rum and Diet Coke!). Also, a big shout out to the Entertainment team. Angie is a master drinker so be careful if she challenges you to a beer chugging contest. The girl is a killer! Rigobob is a hoot and a half and the rest of the team is just plain terrific. Thanks for making this a very memorable trip!!
Ask for a CJ Special shot at the Pool Bar. I have no idea what was actually in it but we drank about 40 of them and survived it. We met a lot of terrific people from all over the world.Totally fun time!

7  Thank Pagz
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Well, we began the journey at RIU hotel in Playa del Carmen. When we realized that we wanted something more upscale. There were actually six hotels under e RIU branch but were limited to access if you did jot have the famous gold band. well, the gold band was the token to a good time. We loved our hotel view which was a balcony and of course a suite. It was just wonderful. We not only enjoyed the amenities but the food was excellent. What a great relaxing vacation. People speak about this country, but I loved it. The people, the food and of course the hotel stay.

Will love to return one day soon.

Room Tip: Upgrade is the way to go
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trini296
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This is the prettiest resort I have stayed. Many things about this place is first class; the service, the food, the beach, and for fun, Coco Bongo (not on location). My reason for not rating this place a 5 star is there is no place to Dance and I love to dance. Also, this place has a cigar kiosk right by the entry, so it promotes smoking. I once said that give me no smoking inside, and the smokers can have the outside. That may be fair, but when your at a resort, and the weather is perfect, you want to do everything outside, and one cigar can foul a large area, to which happened while I was eating, by the pool, and on the beach. This is also a big family attraction, and there are lots of newborns. So if you want a great place for a wedding, to which Riu does very well, Riu Palace is great... BUT, if you want to party and dance, look for a resort that has a Discothèque / nightclub and has a lot of rooms (more rooms=more people=more nightlife during the week), and one that is adults only!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank SmilinJim
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed here 5 years ago and have stayed numerous places since, and none have compared to this resort. It really was a palace.

1  Thank Lynnievan
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
#30 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#16 of 21 in Akumal
Hotel Riu Yucatan
Hotel Riu Yucatan
#62 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!