“Riu palace is wonderful in March 2012”

Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Ranked #40 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“Riu palace is wonderful in March 2012”
Reviewed 29 March 2012 via mobile

Stayed at riu palace
Jr suite room 1119. Great private room with small balcony overlooking the resort next door.
Checkin was easy as well as check out
Entertainment staff was hard working, friendly, energetic and humorous especially Omar
Bar staff were great and Suemy worked the pool everyday. She is great, always smiling and always making sure you had a drink. Even though it is all inclusive please tip her when you go.

Room was cleaned everyday in the morning and had a towel animal left each day. They even performed turn down service each evening. Nice touch

My family have stayed at many resorts in Riviera Maya including iberostar, grand palladium, grand sirens, xpu ha, and many times at Barcelo.

We really enjoyed this resort and would definitely go again. Why?
Smaller in size
Immaculate grounds and we liked the layout
Pool and beach area
Outstanding service

Stayed March 2012
6 Thank ckdale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,054)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
niagara
Reviewed 28 March 2012

The hotel is very nice but not very big and needs updating. The food was ok but not a lot of choice. The staff is eager to please and will do more for a small tip. It was ok but not impressed with the hotel. I have seen better in Mexico.

Room Tip: I wish that I had read the reviews before going. I think the other travellers would have given us a...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 5685
Rustington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2012

From walking through the door until we left the service we received was excellent. All the staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly. The rooms were spotless, fresh bed linen daily and the room regularly decorated with flowers. The grounds are very well kept and always litter free. We spent our days on the beach where we never had a problem getting sunbeds and plenty of natural shade if you needed to escape the midday sun. Take a large themos cup as it saves going to the bar so often and keeps the drinks cool. The bar staff were happy to make what ever cocktail you asked for even if it was ones they had not heard of. The restaurants offered an excellent choice of meals for all-inclusive, it was also good to start the day with a glass of bucks fizz. There are also the al a carte restaurants, we really enjoyed the steak house and Crystal and returned to both of these the only one that we did not enjoy and would not return to was the Brazilian. They hotel organised lunch time BBQ's on the beach and poolside and in the evening they often had different themed entertainment, my husband thoroughly enjoyed the tequila evening. The entertainment crew worked hard but was never pushy like some hotels we have been to before.This hotel was walking distance to the other Riu hotels if you fancied a change of scenery. There are a few shops very close by that sell the normal holiday souvenirs. I would happily return to this hotel and think it is an excellent choice for any age group, a great resort

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the side garden which meant it did not get the afternoon sun, but it was very qu...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Mrs_Bezza
Bushnell, Illinois
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Everything about this hotel is top notch. I have stayed there twice now, and long to go back. The food is abundant and very good; there is always something for everyone. There are 5 specialy restaurants that are excellent. Room service is in icluded with the all-inclusive, as is a stocked refrigeerator and several bottles of liquor. The area is gated and seems very safe at night...so much so that we allowed our 20 year olds to walk down the street to another RIU that had the disco (the Tequila). The staff is extremely friendly. The entertainment staff this time was not as friendly as the staff was the first time we were there 3 years ago; the last time, they went out of their way to get our girls involved in the activities and really made the vacation for them. We still keep in touch with one of the young gentlemen that was on the animation staff, even though he no longer works there. We did not really get to know the staff this time. They do work extremely hard, from 10 in the morning to late at night with the pub crawls; we have heard they get paid very little. The beach is so much better here than in Cancun at the other RIU's...although we love all of the RIUs.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ludwick2002
ohio
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My daughter and I visited the Palace in early March and loved it. This was our second trip to the Palace here and we've visited Riu properties. The hotel is beautiful and the staff does a wonderful job of keeping everything clean and nice looking. I had read reviews before our trip about the smell of the rooms and have to agree that our room was a bit musty smelling. Maybe it's just the location but, the smell did bother me every time I walked into the room. The fan did seem to help.
I thought the food here was great. I ate mostly the fruits and veggies and loved the guacamole! We ate guac with every meal! The wine there leaves something to be desired. Usually a chardonnay drinker, I found the red wine to be the best choice offered.
We spent our time on the beautiful beach and basically stayed at the resort the whole time. We were thinking about going to play with the dolphins but after I asked a bunch of questions we realized that we would be gone for several hours and only get to really spend a couple of minutes with the dolphins. For the price ($149 or $179) and time this did not sound appealing to either one of us.
I was a little concerned about traveling alone with my daughter, but we didn't have any trouble at all. One thing we did and loved was packing everything in our carry on case. We did not check bags. Basically, we sailed through customs and we able to move quickly and efficiently through the airport and resort.
If this is your first time to Playa del Carmen you will not be disappointed! The beaches are so beautiful and so is the Palace. Have a wonderful trip!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank 1luckygirl1303
new jersey
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My wife and I (I'm 42) just returned from Riu Palace, Riviera Maya. Since I chose this spot from the reviews I would like to give the real 100% accurate depiction of this resort. First we travel to Turks and Caicos every year, for us, many resorts on the island are the meaning of "5 star". As soon as a resort is "all inclusive" it can't be compared to a "5" star resort that isn't. So my rating for Riu in the "all inclusive" category would be an all around 4. The service is a resounding 5! Whomever manages the RIU chain should write a text book on hotel service because this place is run to perfection. Spotless every second of the day. You are waited on hand and foot. Every one is treated with a smile. Here's the low down:

Rooms: Basically all junior suites. They are quaint, nice tile, decent bed, nice bathroom. A 3 on the scale of rooms, but for sleeping, showering and dressing, perfect. If you are room hanger, not for you.

Resort Building: Stunning architecture, just a great feel to it. Loved the layout. Spotless at all times. 5 star all the way.

Resort grounds: Same. Beautiful landscaping, fountains etc. A great courtyard to hang at night have drink, smoke a cigar. 5 star.

Pool: Nice double pool, infinity up top. Warm, clean, great swim up bar. I won't lie, its the loudest spot there. Lots o drinking, music, very party like. 4 star. I don't care much for crowds but it has a cool vibe and I wasn't bothered by the "action"!

Beach: Being a Turks & Caicos person I have high expectations and this beach was a homerun. Beautiful blue water, warm and very big! Not like Cancun, this beach is xtra large! Great for long walks and privacy. There is also a big section with all palms for the shade lovers, chairs and hammocks. 5 stars+++

Food: In a nutshell, 4 stars. All the buffets are great, not fancy so if you want veal and capers go elsewhere. Full selection, chickens dishes, fajitas, hot dogs, hamburgers, mahi mahi, shrimp, pizza, pasta etc....Loved all of it, deserts not great. Although at dinner they make homemade Churos, wow, yumm! Restaurants, same, very good, although if I go again, which I will, I do the buffet, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Its a win/win that way, don't like something, go get something else!

Alcohol: mid tier stuff, Absolute, Bacardi etc....Great mudslides, Vodka Lemon, etc....

Entertainment: I guess was OK, the people watching was fantastic!

For the price, this place is a no brainer, and to stay in Playacaar is a real no brainer. Long walks, protected community (I mean you feel REAL safe) 5th Ave shopping, ferry to Cozumel. One of the best vacations I ever took, thanks to the most important thing of all, Full Sun the entire time!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank dansher
Annan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2012

OUR WEDDING AT THE RIU PALACE (AND OMG IT IS A PALACE)

FLIGHTS:
We flew with Thomson Airways from Glasgow airport (Scotland) We borded our flight on time only to be delayed by 2hours before we took off... There was an extra case on the plane we finally found out which should have been going toCape Verde!!! Whoops... Those poor people whose case it was!!!
Oh well, just one of those things, we were in holiday mode anyway so werent too bothered just wanted to get on ourway, would by no means complain about the airline because of this as were only human at the end of the day and allmake mistakes.... the flight was great.... went suprisingly quickly for just over a 10 hour flight!!!We also had our own private transfers to and from the hotel witch was nice!We were delayed 5 hours coming home, 4 of which we stayed on at our resort.... This was due to a fault with the planeback in the UK, and they had to get a replacement plane in...BOTHERED??? absolulty not!!! :-) We got to stay in Mexico for longer!!!!

HOTEL:
OMG what can I say RIU Palace Riviera Maya TOTALLY exceeded our expectations, talk about having the WOW factor when you walk in, I can honestly say it took our breath away. We new straight away we had chosen the best hotel to get married at, without a shadow of a doubt!!

We checked in no problem and asked about our "free" room upgrade which we got as part of our wedding package to whichwe were told yes we had been given... only to get to our room and no we hadnt, we were given the exact same room as our guests, so we went to query this, we were fobbed off with excuses and finally we were given another room (No' 1110), futher down from original room (no' 1134) with a view looking out onto the nice fountains instead of a few bushes and next doors hotel, the room looked exactly the same as the other but with a better view... this was OK though we accepted and were happy with what we got. We werent being awkward about it but wanted the upgraded room as stated in the wedding packege :-)
We were happy with the receptionist who saw to us and delt with our request.

THE GROUNDS:
The grounds were imaculate!! ALWAYS being tended to one way or another. They are so so clean and tidy, absolutly stunning to walk around, the place is just gorgeous...

BARS:
The Lobby bar was lovely and had a piano which had a live piano player in the evenings which was nice. and was nice to sit in in the day to, for a quick drink if your passing through. The lobby does have WI-FI if your waning it. This bar closes at midnight.

The pool bar was nice, we didnt use it much though as we are more beach people but this was a nice area, but VERY busy... this closes at 5pm.

There is the sports bar which was fab... 24 hours.... ask for a "Tequila Boom Boom" from Victor... Shots all around... we had some laughs in this bar, fantastic :-) They even have a self serve food (snacks) at the back of the bar including burgers, hotdogs, sandwiches, fruit. and a microwave to heat up the burgers etc and also tortillas with cheese sauce, M M Mmmmmmmmm :-) Great for when you have had one too many and just need food to soak it up!!!

RESTURANTS :
We ate at Chillis most days for lunch this opens at 12pm.. range of pizza, pastas, burgers, fruit, chicken, cheeses, chips etc etc this was good food but repetative.

For breakfast we ate everyday in the main buffet area, again good food but very repetative, we had bacon, hash brown, eggs etc, your typical English Breakfast but they did all sorts.... Fruits, Breads, Yoghurts......

For diner we ate in all the a la carte : We opted for the later seating of 8.45 each night except for 2 nights when we ate with friends who have baby and we opted for the earlier sitting of 6,30 but thats too early really for us to eat!!! Each resturant is definatly worth a visit, even if its just to say you've tried :-)

Chillis : Steak House : Was lovely but gets booked up very very quickly we managed to get in here once in two weeks, LOVELY :-)

Yashmina : Japanese : Was good if you like Japenese food, we tried it to try it, but didnt like it very much BUT a couple of our guests went 3 times as they found it to be gorgeous.

Bota Foga : Brazillian : Lovely only went here once on our wedding night... really good :-)

Mexican (cant remember name) : Was our favourite we went here a couple of times, really really good food.

Krystal : We ate here twice, lovely food, not keen on the tapas, but thats our opinion, worth the visit though.

BUFFET : Was good yes it was repetative but there was alwyas something for everyone :-) They had 3 nights a week where they have a themed night... our fave was the Asian... Samosas were beautiful.

STAFF:
Staff in the resort are fab... so so friendly and nice and would go out of their way to help you if you need it...always say hello and smile.... brilliant :-) We left our maid a tip every other day and on the last day we left her toiletries we didnt use, & flip flops i bought but never used :-) We tpped the bar staff as and when but we were never treated any different the times we didnt tip.... Same in the resturants and buffet.

BEACH:
GORGEOUS, the sea is just to die for, its SOOO warm :-) We headed for the beach every morning at 8/8.30am where we would spend the day... we are definatly definatly beach people and this beach suited us down to the ground not crowded, ALWAYS beds available. Lovely white soft sand. You can see right across to Cozumel from our little beach aswel. we walked along the beach to the left right up to the Pier where the boats dock what take you to Cozumel.... Its a Lovely walk, some gorgeous houses/villa/apts along the way... wish i had the money to buy!!!!
When you first walk into the sea there is a slight step down with shells etc so just be a wee bit careful walking in bare foot but this does not spoil the ocean one little bit.

WEDDING:
(US and 5 guests, my mum and dad, sis in law, bro in law, and their daughter)
The wedding itself was just out of this world, It was fantastic, definatly a day we will never evr forget. We woke up at 6.30am and went for breakfast at 7am. Didnt feel like our wedding day, was strange really, just felt like a normal day. Then hubby headed off for the beach to chill for the morn (alright for some) I met my SIL and we headed for the spa for our hair and make up. We were at the spa 2 hours so when we came out at 11am, then i thought what am i going to do for 2 hours....
so i went to the room on my own to have a drink and chill... it was nice really i was on my own for a good hour as id asked my mum to come to the room for 12 to help me get in my dress.
i just sat on the balcony with a drink taking it all in, was really nice for me actually, then there was a knock on the door... my mum, who helped me get into my dress then my BIL came to take some pix as he is quite a dab hand a photography and he captured some pix for me of my mum helping me do up my dress, etc.
The ceremony itself was fantastic.... Anyone getting married abroad would not be wrong in choosing this resort... The Wedding Co-ordinator was brilliant

We would definatly like to return to thr RPRM and we would recommend this resort to friends, family, and anyone who will listen really, we had the time of our lives and know 100% we couldnt have chosen a better resort to get married if we tried.

We would go back in a heart beat!!!

Happy Happy Holidays Everyone :-)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hotel Riu Playacar
Hotel Riu Playacar
#53 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!