“Eexcellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Ranked #38 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“Eexcellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012 via mobile

We go to playa del carmen every year and this was by far the best resort we've stayed at it was my mothers birthday and they gave her the best party ever. Great thanks to Santos and the manager of Chilis to a night to remember

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank garyg568

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,000)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

Amazing staff, amazing rooms, AMAZING FOOD (book the speciality restaraunts early!), beautiful grounds...just pure luxury! I felt welcomed everywhere. I went with my partner (gay couple) and we never once felt uncomfortable, even during intimate meals.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank michaelrbirch
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

We stayed at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya from 8/15/12 to 8/23/12 with our daughters, ages 19 and 21.

We booked a superior jr. suite with adjoining rooms. We checked in and they had our rooms ready on time. The staff at the front desk were very friendly and check in went quick and smooth.

Our rooms were on the first floor and were very clean with no musty smell at all. The maids kept it very clean. We had a nice view of the grounds and pool area. Our fridge wasn't always refilled every day, but we did have enough water and we took the beer from our daughter's fridge, since they weren't drinking it. We figured if we ran out of any drinks, we would just call the front desk.

When we first got to our room, the safe was already locked and we called the front desk and someone came up within 10 minutes to open it so we could set our own code.

We only ate a the buffet restaurants every day and there was plenty to choose from. We never got sick of the choices. The waiters were always friendly and efficient.

The beach is gorgeous and is very large. There were plenty of lounge chairs available to use. There is a large area with palm trees so you could be in the shade and still be somewhat close to the ocean. The waves were calm most days. Servers would bring large trays with several kinds of drinks for you to pick from. They also took drink orders. At lunch time, they grilled on the beach towards the pool area.

The pool area was nice. There is an infinity pool that flows into a much larger pool where the pool bar and activities are. When you are in the infinity pool looking down into the large pool, the water looks pretty dirty with a layer of gross stuff and straws. It just seems to hang out in that one area, so if you are in the activities pool, don't swim right below the infinity pool. It looked nasty. The rest of the pool seemed clean. We were always able to get a lounge chair by the pool and there are plenty of umbrellas and palm trees if you want to be in the shade. There were servers bringing drinks all day long and a chef would bring pizza slices around late in the afternoon. They sometimes had tables set up by the pool bar with food for lunch too. We had the grilled chicken one day and tacos another day.

At night, we sometimes hung out in the plaza of the hotel. They had musicians every night. Friendly servers would bring drinks to your table. We also went to the sports bar on the hot nights to stay cool. They had air hockey and pool tables in there. They serve snacks in there too 24/7. They had fruit, cake, sandwiches and hamburgers and hot dogs.

The lobby bar was a nice and cool place to hang out to get out of the heat. The servers were friendly. They had someone playing piano the night we were there and we enjoyed it.

We enjoyed our stay at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya. Our daughters loved it. We had a very relaxing vacation with our family.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank flypaper44
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

I just returned from my 12th trip to the Riu Palace Riviera Maya--and it may have been my best trip ever. Here's why:

1) After 20+ trips to Mexico, there isn't much I haven't seen or done. So, my vacation day usually starts with a beach-walk into town, a taxi ride back, breakfast and a beach-walk in the other direction. The beach and water in Playa are beautiful!

2) By staying at RPRM, you have full privleges at the other Rius--and that's a nice bonus when you're a walker. I'll stop at Riu Yucatan for a cold drink on the walk out, stop at the Riu Tequila for a cold drink on the walk back, and maybe grab a snack at Riu Playacar.

3) The food at RPRM is fantastic. It always saddens me to see so many tourist eating burgers and fries when there are healthier and exotic foods to be enjoyed.

4) The nightly music is wonderful. Yes, it's geared for an older crowd (I'm 55)--but the younger folks aren't hanging around to enjoy the music (and that's fine with me and the other folks my age).

5) The staff is fantastic. A++!

6) The rooms are big, the air conditioning cold and the water pressure good.

7) Everything is neat, clean and well maintained.

8) Very fast wireless internet in the room. This costs extra ($70/week--but to me, it's so worth it!)

9) Best shade of any resort I've been to. I know people go to the beach for the sun, and I do too. But after walking 8-10 miles a day, I want a nap in the shade and RPRM has a huge amount of shaded beach (courtesy of hundreds of coconut trees).

For all that you get, it's the best bargain in Mexico.

Now, things I don't like:

1) The temperature in the Spa is always too warm for me. Also, the selection of free weights is limited.

2) The temperature in the beach-area bathrooms is always warm. (None of the other Rius have this problem--I don't know why this is but it's been like this for years.)

3) Not enough "small tables" in the beach area, These little tables are small and can't cost more than $5--they need to buy 50+ mores.

For the record, I own a software firm and an accounting firm. I am a demanding boss and Riu Palace Riviera Maya has never disappointed me.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank beach_ready_tx
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed 10 wonderful days in this perfect hotel, the staff, food, rooms, entertainment were absolutely first class and cannot wait to return. It was our first holiday with the RIU chain, but I will definitely be booking one of there hotels in the future, RIU know how to do all inclusive ! Thank you all at the RIU Palace our holiday was first class !

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Tony258
Seaham Harbour, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

A good place to stay and chill-lax, the staff make the stay a pleasure, there is a good section of food, but it's not 5 star, the free drink is OK, but you will struggle to find a good wine? The mexician food was by far the best for me....you has paid to go to mexico "so eat the local food" I say.
The best show for me was seeing the sunraise sitting on the white sandy beach, but for a night out try CO-CO Bongo's one hell of a party, each and every night.
The trips to Local Maya and Aztec ruins are a must, and well worth the time away from the beach. The staff are the stars of the hotel treat them well, {tip} I want to go back, enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Stay away from the bar and pool area if you would like go to bed early....plus take a nap if you can...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
St. Albert, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

Our family of 10 spent 2 weeks at this resort. We have been to other 5 star resorts in the Mayan Rivieria, but this was our first stay at a Riu Hotel chain. We were not disappointed. The two highlights of this resort are the great food and exceptional service. We were really impressed with all the a la carte restaurants as well as the buffet - great selection of food, excellent quality and no problems getting reservations etc. The staff at this resort are exceptional. All the staff were very friendly and went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. The location of this resort is also excellent - about a 20 minute beach walk or short taxi ride to Play del Carmen. We did find the rooms a bit smaller than in other resorts and the beds were a bit hard. Overall, however, we had a really great experience and would definitely recommend this resort to others.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Hotel Riu Playacar
#53 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,600 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,346 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!