“great beach ,bad a/c”

Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Ranked #44 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed from June 21st to June 28th. All meals were delicious ,service was outstanding ,rooms a little dated but all in all a very good hotel for the price.Air conditioning was hit or miss and had to be moved once to a cooler room

Room Tip: pretty much any room is a good room,ours was 0038 on the ground floor and was perfect because it wa...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank rlynn1962

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Beautiful beaches, that will always keep you coming to this area. Great location. Special thank you to Joe and Victor at the pool, keep drinks flowing. Lobby bar, great cocktails. Food, Chilly's good lunch buffet, Asian and Mexican best for dinner. Room service never came for am coffee ordered. Very beautiful resort, the beach is the selling point plus the employees that work their butts off here, thank you. Nice jewelry shop with Lenny, great spa service, over all lovely resort. We switch between Playa Car and The Royal Playa Del Carmen, where we usually stay. The Royal, which I love but the beaches at the Riu's in Playa Car cannot be beat, it's all about the beach. The entertainment team at the Riu, I fell in love, love, they just made me laugh and laugh. Will be returning in 3 months, to Playa Del Carmen the Royal, but I will miss the beaches at the Riu. I would highly recommend this resort, due the close walk to 5th Ave, the perfect beaches, and outstanding service, see ya soon my friends.I am enclosing some pic't that I never posted from yrs ago, and from our recent stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gerileo50
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We just returned from the Riu Palace RM. I don't want to belabor all of the things that have been said repeatedly so I will just keep to point. Our arrival was very welcoming, provided map of hotel with times of availability of restaurants/bars and welcome drink, very refreshing. We were given our room keys and towel cards and invited to have lunch while our room was being prepared. We requested King bed with rollaway and courtside view...we got it.
-Cleanliness: The hotel is spotless, enough said and I believe no one could dispute that.
We did the kitchen tour and that is immaculate as well. No fears here.
-Pool: The pool is cleaned every day and granted, there are some tiles missing, no biggie, get over it.
-The pool bar was fantastic, We miss all of you, Abel, Keike, Victor and Ciro....Thanks for providing a great time. No waiting for drinks and pool side/beach side service was great
Pool/ Beach loungers: no problems never needed to play the towel game. We were told the hotel was at 99% capacity and there were no isssues at all. First time we didn't have to rise with the birds to get chairs by the pool or in shade.
Sea/Beach: Just breathtaking. There are no words to describe the white soft sand or the blue/ greens of the sea. No need for shoes, no rocks what so ever, you can see clearly to the bottom. All sand and gentle waves.
Food: This is subjective to everyone, however I have a very picky daughter and she ate or tried almost everything and disliked very little. We thought the food was wonderful. Where else do you get lobster, shrimp, crab claws on the buffet? There was something for everyone every night and we didn't even need to eat at the reservation restaurants but we did just to try. We tried the Japanese and the Steak House, both were very good. If you are a huge eater and need to eat everything in sight, the buffet might be for you and not the ala cartes as the food is just an essential amount and not over gorging, that may be why people complain, but it was plenty for us. We enjoyed the surf/turf at the Steakhouse (Chili's) very tasty and the staff was excellent. Lunch was just about the same everyday, but we tried to mix it up by going to a different buffet each day so it wouldn't get boring. It was fine, no problems and we were satisfied everyday.
Bars: Drinks were plentyful and free flowing, no need to wait long and wether we tipped or not (we mostly did) the service was the same and the drinks were well made and with more than enough booze to satisfy.
I know I could go on and on but like I said I will try to keep it brief. We will be returning hopefully next year. We loved it and look forward to another great stay at the Riu. I hope you enjoy it if you try it. I see no need for a refurb of this hotel and I truly hope they do not make it look like the RPM. I do not like the mirrored disco look. Please Riu keep it real and traditional, for those of us who love it this way. Just upgrade the Air Condidtioning, yes.....that is lacking to a point. It would help with the humidity and I am sure make people less grumpy looking for things to complain about that otherwise might not be an issue...

Room Tip: All rooms are the same, just try to book a courtyard view room if you can, if the view is not import...
9  Thank Christine W
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Visited Riu Riviera Maya for the third consecutive summer from May 31 to June 6, 2014. We love the area and the staff are always excellent for the most part. Many of the staff recognized our family from previous visits and even remembered our drink preferences which is amazing considering how many people they see!! The younger staff not quite as engaging or as quick to offer service. The food was what we have come to expect in this area, which means good and plenty, although not necessarily cutting edge. We did experience several days of heavy rain again in 2014 and there were plenty of leaks and flooding around the sidewalks, but it stayed pretty warm. The structure is starting to show some age and could benefit from some renovation. While my wife and I love the quiet setting, our 24 and 22 year old sons and friends would have preferred to be at the high energy Tequila. Or better yet, the modern Mexico across the street from the interior property. I consider to recommend these properties to all our friends, but we will probably try a new location for the next vacation. Special thanks to Fernanda at the front desk for helping get us a great room. Also GREAT service and attention from David in the lobby lounge and patio area. If we don't return, he will be the most missed.

Room Tip: If you like enjoying coffee or drinks on your balcony, request an ocean or interior property view. U...
4  Thank Terry B
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I've stayed at this property twice - May 2012 and November 2013. The stay in November 2013 was actually for my wedding and we had around 70 guests staying as well. I'll leave the wedding out of the review and just speak to the property as a guest.

No all-inclusive will be perfect, but this one is the most well rounded of the bunch. I know because in searching for a wedding venue, we visited over a dozen of the top hotels in the area. For the price range, it cannot be beat. If you're willing to pay double the price, you may do marginally better.

Atmosphere - Refined and elegant but not stuffy. This place isn't for kids - which I personally preferred.
Rooms - Decent. They could use an update but they are clean and nice enough. The balconies are nice. They do smell musty, but it's not a deal breaker.
Beach - It's awesome. This is one of the nicest beaches you will find in Playa area for an all-inclusive. We were shocked that many of the hotels we visited had eroded beaches or murky waters. The beach and water here are perfect - out of a fantasy!
Pool - Really nice and fun. They play music, but it's not overwhelming. Sometimes they do games to keep you entertained, but it's not all day long.
Drinks - Not bad or too watered down. They serve champagne and decent wine.
Food - Better than most all-inclusives. There are some things that are really good and some that aren't. At least you have the potential to get a good meal. Breakfast is awesome.
Staff - Friendly and helpful
Location - great. It's in a nice gated community in easy walking or taxi distance to PDC.

Overall, what I'd recommend if you decide to stay at this hotel is to plan to have one or two lunches / dinners in PDC to get a little variety. If you do that and also leave once or twice for a tour, you will have an awesome trip.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank TravelGirlBlogs
Reviewed 23 June 2014

3rd time staying at a Riu Palace, Jamaica and Aruba previously. Picked this Riu Palace based upon outstanding previous experiences. The food was poor quality. One night at the buffet, they were slicing (trying to anyway) Sirloin Steak. Was so tough, they couldn't even slice it, more or less my being able to eat it. While waiting to make dinner reservations, met a couple that raved about the Brazilian Restaurant which they went to the night before. We made reservations and they in fact made reservations to go back. Sat right next to them. By the time we got to the Ribeye steak, we were so dissatisfied with the food that we got up and left - so did they stating this was a total opposite of their previous experience. This implies that there is no consistency. Told the front desk about our experience, their response was we will pass it on to the chefs.

5  Thank Gary S
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Brought a group of 21 for a fun getaway. Third time to bring group to PDC and thought we would upgrade to someplace new. Out of 10 rooms, only 2 have properly cooling A/C and those are closest to lobby. I have the most expensive room on property and I literally laying on top of covers and sweating. I was just told there are no more fans available. This would be a nice enough resort but sweating all night just makes for a miserable hotel stay. One couple have even pulled mattress on to balcony so they can sleep. As I write this, it is my third night here with 2 more to go. I've posted several times on TripAdvisor and I'm always positive and fair. Upside to resort- buffet is plentiful and drinks are too shelf when requested. Beautiful beach and a nicely sized resort. Downside- this just sucks: up all night sweating tends to suck ALOT of the fun out of vacation. This hotel is definitely of the group trip list.

• Stayed: June 2014