We take a trip to an all inclusive resort in Feb. every year. I got married at the Riu Cancun in 2005 but we have not been back to a Riu resort since. Not because we didn't have a great experience but we like to try new places. We arrived late Friday nigh at the RPRMt and recieve rooms that our group was not together or even on the same floor, our rooms were facing another resort and they put us in heavily smoked in rooms. I cleary stated to the public relations clerk previous to arrival that under NO circumstances can we have a smoking room because my husband is really allergic. When we went back to the front desk we were told they were booked, nothing they could do, come back in the AM and change my rooms.... Needless to say, my husband pretty much slept on the balcony, two minutes into the room and his head was clogged. We went back in the AM and they changed our rooms and this time we were right next door to one another and had non-smoking rooms:) The rooms are adequate but nothing special but how long are you in your room?
Okay here is the good.... The beach was beautiful, I didn't mind the sand bags as others have criticized. It actually created little lagoons to wade in. Plenty of chairs at the beach but get one early by the pool. The pool was a great temp not too cool and refreshing. The food was great. The buffet Don Manolos was awesome, tons of selection, lines were none existent. Lunch by the beach at Chilis was nice as well. Chilis is also the steakhouse at night and that was really good too. The Japanese was great but DO NOT WASTE your time at the Brazilian.... YUCK. We left and went to the buffet afterwards. The bars were efficient and Marvin at the pool is Awesome. By the end of my stay, he had my drink ready for me before I even got to the bar. There is service by the pool which was good as well. By the restaurants, you can sit out at night and there is a band playing in the gazebo,the nightly shows were mediocre at best but entertaining.
The location is good, about 5 minute cab ride to 5th ave. and 20 minutes if you walk. Overall, the experience was great.. The service was probably the best at out any resort I have been to. Even though we had a rough start it ended up being a great experience. I would return and recommend it. If you have any questions, email me... I can fill you in.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * The hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya is located directly on the white, sandy beach of the Playacar residential estate, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Playacar, Riu Yucatan and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels. The 400 spacious and elegant junior suites are set in the 3-storey main building, with its delightful architectural style and surrounded by extensive tropical gardens. * Next Village / Location Playa del Carmen 2.0 km approx. * Next City Cancún 60.0 km approx. * Airport Cancún International Airport (CUN) 55.0 km approx. * Main Building 3 floors 400 rooms * Accepted Credit Cards: MasterCard, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Holiday Gems, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Riviera Maya
- Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya Mexico - Playa Del Carmen