“Small”

Hotel Playa del Karma
Ranked #130 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I didnt have plans to stay at this hotel I was going to Tulum but I had problem with the rentalcar so I went there just for 1 nigth and the hotel is very small , the rooms are small, the pool also, very small hotel and I was not able to get internet in my room that was the closer to the lobby.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Playa del Karma

Reviewed 4 April 2012

We stayed here on two separate occasions while laying over in Playa del Carmen on our way to another location. So we didn't do an extended stay.

What works: We paid about $60USD, which is a good value for the area. Even though the hotel is on a busy street, all of the rooms face a courtyard and are very quiet. It's off the main drag (believe me, you don't want the main drag) but it's a super easy walk to the restaurants and the beach. Just a block away from the ADO bus station. Best of all- a KING bed which is practically unheard of in the land of the Mayan double bed.

Beware: The interior courtyard is very tranquil and the plunge pool is nice but the moisture and vegetation attract the mosquitos. Lost a pint of blood attempting an evening read in the hammock on the porch. The shaded courtyard also means that the rooms don't get much sun. There isn't really a social scene here so you'll need to hit the beach or bars for that.

I'd recommend this to anyone who wants modest accommodation for a few nights.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wayfaringviews
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This is the third time we have stayed at Playa del Karma on our last night of vacation before flying home from Cancun. It really makes for a nice relaxing evening and this time we visited the beach club. We had come from Tulum and just wanted to relax for our last night so we had purchased a bus ticket to the airport for the next day. The hotel is a great place to relax and enjoy the cool garden and small pool after a long day of traveling. The beach club has that wonderful white sand and the swimming is great and you can wander down 5th ave. doing some last minute shopping and getting some great ice cream. All and all it's a great place to spend the last night in the Maya Riveria and we will be back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I found this hotel on Priceline. It was a terrific bargain and I will most definately stay there again. A small hotel with about 15 rooms. My room was perfect - clean, quiet, no issues. The hotel is on 15th Avenue and in the middle of everything. Three blocks to the beach, 3 blocks in the other direction to the MEGA supermarket, 2 blocks to Constitutiones. I walked everywhere and felt 100% totally safe. In my 5 day stay i probably saw 500 police officers - no joke, they are everywhere. Restaurants all around. If 5th avenue if your thing (it is NOT mine) it is a short 2 blocks away. I prefer the local flare instead and walked to 30th Avenue and the more local places. Mario at the front desk was fantastic, had lots of good food tips. I was the only guest using the pool during my 5 day stay but it was warm and clean and well maintained. The pool is surrounded by trees which gives the whole place a rainforest feel, expect to have to take the occasional leaf or two out of the water - no big deal. While I was there they skimmed the pool 3 times a day - it is plenty clean! WiFi does only work in the lobby. My A/C was super cold and froze me out. The hotel is clean, well maintained and quaint - an excellent value. If you expect the IBEROSTAR you will be disappointed, if you expect a basic clean room and a very quaint atmosphere this is the hotel for you.

Room Tip: I was in room #10 and it was perfect for me. If given a choice, I may of asked for a room on the sec...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank peterkoke
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. Pros: Excellent Location, lovely staff, Excellent Atmosphere and Decoration of the common areas. Cons: WiFi is only available in the Lobby; no WiFi inside your room. The AC in my room wasn't working, luckily it wasnt very hot but i can't imagine staying there during July or August without AC. And another disappointing feature was the breakfast. We payed the "breakfast included rate" but it was just coffee, juice and toast.. I would recommend the hotel, and definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mafer O
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Nice small hotel, excellent position, clean, quieter, the price are good, the garden is beautiful and the staff are excellent. Good option.

Room Tip: very close to the beach, bus station and also close to the super market and the 5th av.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Good average small hotel with need of refurbishment. Excellent all reception staff , very helpful and genuine , well informed about the area. Staff were always welcoming and makes you feel special (special thanks to Jesus Mario and Erick). 5 out of 5 . We did have an issue with the spa but we had a quick answer with alternative given. Room nicely cleaned everyday with fresh towels nicely decorated like animals , I asked the room aid if she could do a turtle with the towels and she did. Thanks again to Mario to arrange a lovely surprising deco in my bedroom for my birthday. Those little things will make me coming back again in the future. Muitas Gracias, Chin chin ;)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple