“Stay Far Away From This Place”

Hotel Playa del Karma
Ranked #137 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I suppose in a week or two, I'll look back at today and think of it as an adventure, but right now I'm still quite unhappy with the treatment I received at the Hotel Playa del Karma.
Probably my own fault for not checking here first before choosing this place to stay while in Playa del Carmen, because as soon as I saw that their WiFi only worked in the lobby, I would have kept on moving to some place that wants to be a player in today's lodging market and not wasted any time journeying back to the hotel world of 2008. The information on the site I booked from, as well as other travel sites listing this hotel, state that WiFi is available.
I checked in at noon and just threw my things in the room before heading to Akumal for some snorkeling with the turtles and didn't discover the fact that there was no internet until I returned at 3:30pm. When I went down to the lobby to ask the gentleman behind the desk about it he shrugged his shoulders and said, "oh that's the way it is and besides it's a free service if you're unable to access it, well that's just too bad isn't it"?
He actually smirked and seemed to enjoy the power he held over my ability to communicate with loved ones while far away from home and expected me to be grateful for this FREE service which doesn't in fact exist!
When I told him that I was immediately checking out he disappeared to the back room and returned only after I showed up in the lobby with my luggage. To flex the only power remaining to him and acting on behalf of the hotel owners? I was told that they would only refund 2000 pesos out of the 2500 I had just paid to the hotel in cash 3 1/2 hours earlier for a 4 night stay. (That I could have easily extended since I've yet to make reservations for all of my time here in Playa).
I informed him that as soon as I checked into a hotel with an interest in remaining competitive in the pursuit of guests and was able to get a connection, this website would be the very first site I visited. He said, "just tell the truth". So there you go. That's my story and that's the way it all went down. I do not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Set up a tent in the lobby if want internet
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
15  Thank Sean M

Reviewed 26 June 2013

First let me say, the pictures look pretty much exactly like the property But I should have not have dismissed the some of the negative comments.

The location is good and the staff is excellent. You do get a secure homey feeling here but there are some things that just can't be overlooked.

The pool - yes they do clean it at least twice a day to get the leaves out but that is not the problem, we stayed for 3 days and were afraid to enter the water nor did we see anyone else take a dip. It was just not clear and inviting. It was cloudy and swampy looking. So if you wish to take a dip after coming from the beach you may wish to rethink the pool.

The lock on our door was not secure at all, it was a simple lock that rattled when you touched the doorknob. Did we utilize the safe in the room, most certainly but even with the fact that I could probably kick it in we never felt unsafe.

Now for the worse part, when I read the reviews that commented on the bed being firm. I dismissed them because I had seen the same remarks about other Mexican hotels and figured this was how the all were. I was soooo wrong. When reviewers mentioned the bed was hard I took that to mean firm. NOT, the bed was so uncomfortable, it was not firm it was HARD, like sleeping on a piece of plywood. If you have any sort of back or neck problems please do NOT stay in the basic room. I can’t comment on the other rooms but ours was just something that could not be overlooked. We are healthy so we were able to get rid of the kinks after a few days on a real bed but I know that anyone with joint/back or neck problems would be in pain if they stayed here.

Did we enjoy our stay overall, yes we did in spite of the bed but would pay extra next time to stay somewhere we could get a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank NYNYLOVESTHESUN
Reviewed 22 April 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here in mid January 2013 (I am a little late with my review!) and loved it! We will be back again in 2014 that is a certainty! Mario and the front desk was extremely helpful and welcoming! His english and my spanish have both improved since my last visit in 2012. the hotel is a value hotel in a most excellent location, 2 blocks from 5th Avenue and 3 1/2 blocks fromt he beach. We went to LIDO BEACH CLUB almost every day - check that review, also a great value and very friendly staff. Playa del Karma is very clean and very welcoming and centrally located in the heart of downtown playa. very, very safe area, my girlfriend felt perfectly safe walking everywhere, even by herself. The MEGA is just up the road as is a WalMart (ICCK!!!). 5th Avenue is a short 2 blocks. Excellent resaturants within walking distnace (El Fagon, Tortuga, Fri-das, El Diez, Karen's, etc.). The pool is small but very clean - they clean it like 3 times a day. The pool is in the middle of a tropical garden so if you are put off by a few leaves from the trees you may be disappointed but we just took them out if we found any. The stmosphere is beautiful and we thought bvery romantic. Not crowded like the big resorts. It is nice to be greeted by name when you return from a day at the beach!. The room was very roomy and the bed and pillows comfortable. If you want the Iberostar, stay there, if you want a very homey feeling family atmosphere I do not think you can find better in Playa or anywhere. Ask for Mario and tell him I said !HOLA.

Room Tip: ASK FOR MARIO if you book direct. I cannot remember our room number but it was on the ground floor b...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank peterkoke
Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

We (my sister and i) stayed there for 2 weeks in february/march 2013. we had a very warm welcome of the staff. The hotel is very near of everything. It's a very clean place. If you need anything extra - no problem.
At the last few days, my sister was very sick. First we needed a doctor, they all managed for us. After the doc was leaving, my sister collapsed and we needed a ambulance. They were very scared about the wellbeing of us. When we came back, they gave us the opinio to change room (first we had no 25, upstairs, moved then downstairs). That was all whitout any extra cost!!! Muchissimas gracias mario & co!
I can recommend this hotel and if i go back to playa: that's the place i'll stay!!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Danielamoser
Reviewed 11 March 2013

hotel just up from 5th avenue, small hotel with just a few rooms but ideal for resting your head and exploring the area further, not 5 star but not 5 star prices overall great value for money and clean recommend

Room Tip: we went for large double room with kin,,, so not sure of others?
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed one night at Playa Del Karma in early February, 2013.
The location is good, and the staff are very friendly.

We got to Playa Del Carmen from Cancun airport by ADO bus. The hotel was not far from the bus station, and we walked there. The staff were very welcoming and friendly.

A door of our room was open till we checked in, so we found many mosquitos in the room! Well, this was the first night for us in Riviera Maya!
In the night time, I heard loud music from the street (or a bar). And, in the early morning, some workers chatted very loud just outside of our room.

The setting of the hotel is very nice and beautiful, and all the staff are very friendly. The room is cozy as well. However, the noise level could be a little high here.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Serge_G_NY
Reviewed 3 March 2013

I am a single lady, wedding photographer. I almost always travel solo. It's important I feel safe and that my gear is safe. Although the doors were somewhat questionable, it didn't matter... I felt very safe and welcomed here.

IN SHORT:

If you love resorts, room service, fancy hotel bathrobes and never leaving the gates of your confines... this is NOT your place.

If resorts & fancy hotels & their stale lack of authenticity gives you the heebie geebbies and you prefer to stay in a comfortable place full of character and run by locals... you have scored on this one!

MORE DETAIL:

I was on an extended business trip and actually was not into Playa at all. Vegas-style strip lined with fancy resorts, corporate facades, (Starbucks? Disgusting.) and crowded with gringos getting drunk & gluttonous is not my thing. When I travel, I want to see the authentic place. I want to hang out with locals & eat authentic cuisine. Was I thrilled about Playa? No.

Saving grace... Hotel Playa del Karma. It's a sweet little place with tons of character that transports you away from the crazy touristic Playa and makes you feel like you're not in some gringo tourist haven, but in Mexico.

It took me forever to figure out where to stay... reviews were hard to judge. I am so happy I chose this place, it was perfect.

No bedbugs, although lots of mosquitoes at night. The cleaning lady came every day and made cute animal designs out of my towels.

The staff is amazingly friendly!

'Lara V' gave this place a terrible rating, said 'not worth the price, cold water, no internet'. Not my experience at all... This place had internet, albeit slow, lots of hot water (although who needs hot water, TV, and a fancy bathroom sink in MX?), what kind of luxury do you want for $30/night?! She's nuts. But I'll never understand people like her who expect a resort everywhere they go.

I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Rooms up high and in the back have little kitchenettes, are sunny, quiet, and private. Found a 3-pro...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo