“Thief or not ?”

Hotel Playa del Karma
Ranked #130 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“Thief or not ?”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We found this hotel with tripadvisor, hotel was pretty good. The "swimming pool" looks more like a puddle of water so pointless. BE CAREFUL IF THE PERSONNAL Offer you to post your cards !! We did it and are still waiting for them, 1,5 year later ! They re not reliable so pass your way..

• Stayed May 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Where to begin? Let's start with the door, or lack thereof for starters. Once we realized the hotel room we had booked online was not the one we were given (which was missing a door, and presented a shoddy, dirty room that had a SLIDING GLASS DOOR with a 'lock' if it could even be called that!), we complained to the management to see if we could please change rooms. Unfortunately, we had prepaid for the room via a site that we'll never be using again, but this is the reason why we opted to stay in this horrible place. The 'lock' was a joke - SO NOT SAFE, and the shower had horrible water pressure and the water stayed hot for 2 minutes. The towels and sheets were stained/discolored and good luck getting the AC to work. DISASTER. We coped by trying to stay away a long as possible, dreading our time at the hotel. Staff wasn't friendly either! Am baffled as to why this hotel has decent ratings on TripAdvisor! Its only saving grace was the location, but with so many and more economical options for hotels in this area, this is hardly a bonus. STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL if you want a pleasant and relaxing stay in Playa del Carmen! Which is a lovely place, and should be enjoyed to the fullest.

Room Tip: don't bother! plenty of better hotels with better options and prices to offer. Staff being rude...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank SK_WorldTraveler
San Diego
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I suppose in a week or two, I'll look back at today and think of it as an adventure, but right now I'm still quite unhappy with the treatment I received at the Hotel Playa del Karma.
Probably my own fault for not checking here first before choosing this place to stay while in Playa del Carmen, because as soon as I saw that their WiFi only worked in the lobby, I would have kept on moving to some place that wants to be a player in today's lodging market and not wasted any time journeying back to the hotel world of 2008. The information on the site I booked from, as well as other travel sites listing this hotel, state that WiFi is available.
I checked in at noon and just threw my things in the room before heading to Akumal for some snorkeling with the turtles and didn't discover the fact that there was no internet until I returned at 3:30pm. When I went down to the lobby to ask the gentleman behind the desk about it he shrugged his shoulders and said, "oh that's the way it is and besides it's a free service if you're unable to access it, well that's just too bad isn't it"?
He actually smirked and seemed to enjoy the power he held over my ability to communicate with loved ones while far away from home and expected me to be grateful for this FREE service which doesn't in fact exist!
When I told him that I was immediately checking out he disappeared to the back room and returned only after I showed up in the lobby with my luggage. To flex the only power remaining to him and acting on behalf of the hotel owners? I was told that they would only refund 2000 pesos out of the 2500 I had just paid to the hotel in cash 3 1/2 hours earlier for a 4 night stay. (That I could have easily extended since I've yet to make reservations for all of my time here in Playa).
I informed him that as soon as I checked into a hotel with an interest in remaining competitive in the pursuit of guests and was able to get a connection, this website would be the very first site I visited. He said, "just tell the truth". So there you go. That's my story and that's the way it all went down. I do not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Set up a tent in the lobby if want internet
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
15 Thank Sean M
NEW YORK
Reviewed 26 June 2013

First let me say, the pictures look pretty much exactly like the property But I should have not have dismissed the some of the negative comments.

The location is good and the staff is excellent. You do get a secure homey feeling here but there are some things that just can't be overlooked.

The pool - yes they do clean it at least twice a day to get the leaves out but that is not the problem, we stayed for 3 days and were afraid to enter the water nor did we see anyone else take a dip. It was just not clear and inviting. It was cloudy and swampy looking. So if you wish to take a dip after coming from the beach you may wish to rethink the pool.

The lock on our door was not secure at all, it was a simple lock that rattled when you touched the doorknob. Did we utilize the safe in the room, most certainly but even with the fact that I could probably kick it in we never felt unsafe.

Now for the worse part, when I read the reviews that commented on the bed being firm. I dismissed them because I had seen the same remarks about other Mexican hotels and figured this was how the all were. I was soooo wrong. When reviewers mentioned the bed was hard I took that to mean firm. NOT, the bed was so uncomfortable, it was not firm it was HARD, like sleeping on a piece of plywood. If you have any sort of back or neck problems please do NOT stay in the basic room. I can’t comment on the other rooms but ours was just something that could not be overlooked. We are healthy so we were able to get rid of the kinks after a few days on a real bed but I know that anyone with joint/back or neck problems would be in pain if they stayed here.

Did we enjoy our stay overall, yes we did in spite of the bed but would pay extra next time to stay somewhere we could get a good nights sleep.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank NYNYLOVESTHESUN
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 22 April 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here in mid January 2013 (I am a little late with my review!) and loved it! We will be back again in 2014 that is a certainty! Mario and the front desk was extremely helpful and welcoming! His english and my spanish have both improved since my last visit in 2012. the hotel is a value hotel in a most excellent location, 2 blocks from 5th Avenue and 3 1/2 blocks fromt he beach. We went to LIDO BEACH CLUB almost every day - check that review, also a great value and very friendly staff. Playa del Karma is very clean and very welcoming and centrally located in the heart of downtown playa. very, very safe area, my girlfriend felt perfectly safe walking everywhere, even by herself. The MEGA is just up the road as is a WalMart (ICCK!!!). 5th Avenue is a short 2 blocks. Excellent resaturants within walking distnace (El Fagon, Tortuga, Fri-das, El Diez, Karen's, etc.). The pool is small but very clean - they clean it like 3 times a day. The pool is in the middle of a tropical garden so if you are put off by a few leaves from the trees you may be disappointed but we just took them out if we found any. The stmosphere is beautiful and we thought bvery romantic. Not crowded like the big resorts. It is nice to be greeted by name when you return from a day at the beach!. The room was very roomy and the bed and pillows comfortable. If you want the Iberostar, stay there, if you want a very homey feeling family atmosphere I do not think you can find better in Playa or anywhere. Ask for Mario and tell him I said !HOLA.

Room Tip: ASK FOR MARIO if you book direct. I cannot remember our room number but it was on the ground floor b...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank peterkoke
Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

We (my sister and i) stayed there for 2 weeks in february/march 2013. we had a very warm welcome of the staff. The hotel is very near of everything. It's a very clean place. If you need anything extra - no problem.
At the last few days, my sister was very sick. First we needed a doctor, they all managed for us. After the doc was leaving, my sister collapsed and we needed a ambulance. They were very scared about the wellbeing of us. When we came back, they gave us the opinio to change room (first we had no 25, upstairs, moved then downstairs). That was all whitout any extra cost!!! Muchissimas gracias mario & co!
I can recommend this hotel and if i go back to playa: that's the place i'll stay!!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Danielamoser
Reviewed 11 March 2013

hotel just up from 5th avenue, small hotel with just a few rooms but ideal for resting your head and exploring the area further, not 5 star but not 5 star prices overall great value for money and clean recommend

Room Tip: we went for large double room with kin,,, so not sure of others?
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple