“Nice property overall, disappointed with room 206”

Porto Playa Condo Hotel & Beachclub
Ranked #20 of 210 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Seattle, Washington
“Nice property overall, disappointed with room 206”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We just completed a 5 night stay in Porto Playa room 206, which is a 2 bedroom penthouse unit. Overall we were very happy with the property itself, but there was one significant issue with our room and the way in which the front desk chose to handle it is why I'm giving this property an average rating. I will first cover the good things about it and then cover the issue we had:

The Property and Grounds are well maintained and very pleasant. There are two pools with the lower pool being more of a water feature with a small hot tub and the upper pool being a long skinny pool with built in benches. There are about 5 pairs of comfortable lounge chairs with umbrellas to use around the pool. We spent a lot of time relaxing there and my wife could swim laps in the morning. You can also get food delivered to the pool area from the on site restaurant. There's a person watching over the front entrance 24/7 and the people working the front desk are nice. There aren't any elevators but they do offer to bring up your luggage You can walk about a block and a half to the beachfront club in front of their sister hotel, the El Taj, where there are lounge chairs, umbrellas and a restaurant. Porto Playa is just a half block off of the bustling 5th avenue so plenty of shops and places to eat are nearby. Overall, good centrally located boutique hotel/condo with well maintained nice grounds and lush foliage.

The Room (and our issue)
In general, the room was decent. It was well stocked w/ the essentials in the full kitchen and we particularly liked the full size fridge, there were flat screen TVs in the living room and both bedrooms, the bathrooms are tastefully done with vessel sinks and large showers, the beds were very comfortable. The TV in the living area appears to be on satellite so you have lots of channels. There was daily maid service and you could indicate what you wanted done each day (e.g. full cleaning, make beds/wash dishes, change linens only, etc). Our A/C went out on our first day and a maintenance person came to fix it pretty quick. The master bedroom view overlooks some ugly roofs and a construction site a block away, but we weren't spending our days in the master looking out the window. You can also hear some noise from the clubs on the weekend, but nothing too bad - and hard to avoid in Playa. Also of note was that the toilets clogged almost daily so I found myself plunging them. We mentioned something the first time, but it took to long for someone to come up so I dealt with it myself because they appear to tie into the same drain so if one toilet clogs, it also affects the other bathroom.

Our main issue with the room was with the roof deck and the main entrance deck off the living area (a sliding glass door on a small deck). The room we were assigned was one of the few rooms where the entrance deck is uncovered and very small. This is the deck directly off the condo's kitchen and living area. You could hardly fit two people around the small table and there was no shade. The other rooms have much larger decks and a nice overhang that provides shade and also keeps you dry when entering the room during rain. Ours did not. You get soaked trying to open your door when it rains. The rooftop deck was also different than almost all others. There was no thatched palapa hut providing consistent shade all day. We had these canvas cloths (the look like sails laid down sideways) that supposedly provided some shade, but sun gets through the gaps and you have to move all the time. So it rendered the roof deck useless to us because we couldn't sit out and utilize it during the day (in August, it is very hot there). We went to use the hot tub on our final night and there were lots of particles floating around in it and some shredded plastic floating around. We chose to stay out of it and didn't say anything since it was the last night. You have a peak-a-boo view of the water and overlook the lush hotel grounds from the roof deck but if you turn around or want to use the small eating area, you will be staring at a large satellite dish. Luckily this is blocked by some screening, but if you sit by the BBQ, you will see it. The roof deck is probably fine in the winter months when the sun isn't so intense.

So our main issue with this hotel is how they handled it when we said we were disappointed with the main deck and the roof deck. We asked what else was available as we wanted to change rooms but the front desk informed us that the owner was expecting the revenue so they would not consider moving us to a different room. I don't like this excuse. You are in the service business and we were not happy with the product we paid for and you chose to do nothing about it. What really frustrates me is that I called a week before our arrival to ask which room we would be in to avoid this specific problem and the lady at the Condo Hotels reservation desk told me that they don't assign rooms prior to arrival. Well if that is true, then how was the owner already expecting the revenue? Their stories don't match up. So we ended up paying the price for penthouse, but only got to utilize the amenities of a standard two bedroom. All the front desk had to tell us was..."you should have booked on our website where you can pick your room".

We booked our room on hotels-dot-com because it was the best rate at the time and they have a good cancellation policy (you could cancel up to a week out). The Condo Hotels website eventually had the same rate (where you can choose the room), but they have a highly restrictive cancellation policy and if you don't cancel 30 days out in advance, you forfeit the entire amount of the booking, which is prepaid in advance. This didn't work for us because we were coming for a wedding with friends and family being disbursed in various hotels so we needed some flexibility with cancellation up until a week or so in advance. When we booked, a 2-bedroom penthouse was about 30 bucks per night more than a standard 2-bedroom so we decided to do it because all the photos show a nice palapa hut on roof deck and a private hot tub. But in reality, we ended up overpaying since we couldn't really utilize the decks for the issues previously noted. The better penthouse units appear to be 214, 217, 220

Would I stay at this property again? Sure - it was nice overall; but only if I knew which unit I would be in prior to arrival. And if travel plans are set in stone and you are ok paying in advance with a somewhat restrictive cancel policy, then use their site and pick your room. I just give them very low marks for choosing to deal with our disappointment in the way that they did. I would have rated this hotel higher if some effort was put into addressing our issue.

Room Tip: This is a nice place but do your research and try and book a specific room. If you book on a third...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank majpreal
Condohotels, Managing Partner at Porto Playa Condo Hotel & Beachclub, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Dear majpreal,

Thank you for your review, and I am glad that the property was an overall good experience for you.

We all are very sorry you got disappointed with the inability of the front desk to change your room, but the policies when working with discount hotel operators, such as hotels.com, are indeed different than if you booked directly through our website. We are only able to offer limited amount of rooms through hotels.com, and not all of our units are available through such booking sites.

If you want a particular unit, please book directly through our website, and if you need to cancel, simply opt for our cancelation insurance and receive a full refund at any time. Our website offers full selection of pictures of every unit, including terraces and rooftops, so you can choose the one that matches your needs best of all.

All the rooms that we offer are individually owned, but at the same time we operate as a 5-star hotel, so you get the best combination of feeling at home and staying at a boutique luxury hotel.

I hope I have addressed your concerns, and we hope to see you again soon.

Jack Perlman, Managing Partner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Diamond Bar, California
Reviewed 12 August 2012

My family and I spent a week at Porto Playa. Our overall experience was very good. I'd say 4.5 out 5. The front desk 24 hour service was excellent no matter who was there. Concierge was also excellent except that they were sometimes closed when we needed to go in to return a movie or ask a question. Take note of the hours ahead of time.

We loved that there were not many units. Five (4a & 1 ch) of us stayed in 206 which was a 2-BR penthouse condo for 4. Included 2 twin & queen beds even though a king was requested so I didn't understand why it was asked when we reserved through Expedia. No elevators to the penthouses. There's a spiral staircase leading to the rooftop leading to our own jacuzzi and bbq grill (didn't use grill). Nice view for the roof. Elderly and small children should be careful using these stairs.

Three minute walk to beach club. It was great providing all your needs: sunblock/suntanning lotions, towels, books/magazines, etc. The men were very vigilant and ready to move your umbrella before even asking. Menu was a little pricey, but we were on vacay so I didn't care. . Guac and chips were delicious with the pickled onion.

Gym was surprisingly large, but no complementary water was available. Mentioned this on the survey and owner said he'd look into a water cooler.

Great condo/service. Would return.

Room Tip: No elevators but bell boy brings up luggage. Very safe area.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear acortezle,

Thank you for taking your time to write such a glowing review.

I am glad you were able to experience one of our penthouses - these luxurious units with private rooftops provide unparalleled experience of luxury, intimacy and spacious accommodations right in the middle of Playa del Carmen. You say you didn't try the BBQ grill, so if you are not into cooking your own meals on vacation, please consider the services of our private chef next time, who would cook a delicious gourmet dinner right in your unit or on the rooftop.

Of course, restaurant options are also plentiful, including the just-opened Imprevist at our property next door that is arguably the best gourmet restaurant in Playa that serves delicious fusion cuisine in its intimate, romantic ambiance.

We are also glad to hear so many positive comments about our Beach Club. Ineed, we pay a lot of attention to details, and I am happy our guests notice! In addition to attentively moving umbrellas throughout the day to provide continuous shade to all our guests lounging on the Balinese beach beds, our Beach Club attendants also offer complimentary sunscreen lotions, books, toys for kids and a special sunglass cleaning machine that removes salty ocean water mist and fingerprints from your glasses, complimentary.

Please come back soon!

Reviewed 11 August 2012 via mobile

My stay has only been one night, but too many happened to be able to give this condo a good review. Started of with the booking system. We booked 4 adults and 2 children, but when we arrived there was a 2 bedroom apartment for 4 people with an extra bed. We had to pay another 30 dollars a night for another extra bed in a small apartment. Which is a problem caused by hotels.com but I think they should have made some efford to solve this problem.
Second is that one of the reasons we booked was that there was complimentary yoga at the beach. Upon arrivel asked specifically for these classes and got a schedule. Next day I asked where it would be the lady told me they dont have it anymore. Leaving me without yoga at the beach.
Thirdly, very importantly, when the sliding/entrance door was locked it could still be opened from the side. As I wright this it is being fixed, however left our stuff out in the open for an evening and a night.
The condo looks luxurious and clean and we were greates friedly upon arrivel, but when something is wrong they will just look at you sheepishly and tell you they are sorry. Which of course doesnt make my stay any more pleasant.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Lienese
Dear Lienese,

Thank you for your review, but I am sorry, we cannot be responsible - as you say - for hotels.com booking services you selected.

Indeed, our 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom condos with large living rooms are spacious enough to host 4 adults and 2 children, with extra roll away portable beds which are $30 per day. But if you book directly through us, we recommend our 3-bedroom units for 6 people. Since hotels.com is a budget booking site, they might accommodate your requirements to give you a better price, but when booking directly, you would see that we honor luxury and convenience above everything else. Our website clearly identifies the bed configurations and the cost for extra bedding.

We are also happy to offer complimentary yoga on the beach through our modern, newly renovated gym. Beach yoga sometimes gets cancelled because of weather conditions, and we cannot control that, unfortunately. Our full service gym provides daily complimentary classes.

And lastly, our staff usually rushes to fix any problem that arises, and I am sorry you had to deal with an unlocked sliding door for one night - since the personnel that is in charge of these operations usually start their shift every morning. However, the property is very safe, because we have 24 hour security guards by the main entrance and at the beach side, and you can also use the safe inside for your valuables.

Spring, Texas
Reviewed 18 June 2012

This was the first time I was coming to Playa with my sons so I researched a long time for a place to stay that would be good for a family of four plus my mother in law and came across Condo Hotels. I thought this was perfect for us. I have to say that I was disappointed from the moment I stepped into the front door. The pictures are a bit deceiving. They must have been taken when it was brand new because the place definitly had a worn out feel to it. We had the unit cleaned daily but you still could not walk around with bare feet without them turing almost black from grime.
I could have lived with that because the location is fantastic being a block from 5th Ave and a block from the beach. The biggest issue I had was that the unit was infested with roaches. I reported it to the office on Day #2(Sat) and maintenance did not come until Monday to "spray." I put that in quotes because it did not solve the problem. I saw them everywhere including on my pillow one morning after waking up! There was also a problem with the cooling system. One bedroom was fridgid and the rest of the unit stayed borderline uncomfortable the whole time.
We also did not get to utilize our top floor due to ants and this unit was the only one that was not covered so no shade! The last thing I will mention is the "beach club." It wasn't all that great in that our kids could not play in the surf because there were 4-6 boats always docked there! We had to walk way down the beach to find a place where they could swim and play and then pay for the use of someone else's beach club. Not exactly in the advertising!
The positive that I will say is that the employees are very friendly.

Room Tip: Don't choose #202
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Kattnyp2930
, Jack Perlman, General partner at Porto Playa Condo Hotel & Beachclub, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Dear Kattnyp

I am sorry, but we were unable to document your claim that the unit was bug infested. Frankly speaking if we did have an infestation of insects it would be plastered on every review. If you look at all the past reviews we have never received a negative review like this, especially about insect "infestation"! Regarding your comment about no shade covering in this unit, I would like to point out that there are two separate canopies. One is located on the main floor and another one above the sofa on the roof deck. You can clearly see the roof top canopy on the pictures of the units web site by clicking here: http://www.portoplaya.com/202/

All the units have beautiful marble floors and they are polished regularly. Perhaps the floors on the outside terrace may have been covered with dew or dust and you got your feet dirty?

Regarding the small fishing boats along the coast and our beach club, we look at this in two different ways. The first is the charm it brings to the area similar to a European fishing village speckled with small patina covered boats. After all Playa was a small fishing community and it is a reminder of the good old days. The second thought is that these are some of the original old fisherman. Perhaps we can flex our muscle and have them removed from our beach club, but we don't have the heart to take away their livelihood. Most of the guests we hear from don't mind walking a few yards where there are fewer boats. I am sure our staff informed you, as an alternative to our trendy beach club we offer our affiliated beach club located a few kilometers off the beaten path. It has miles of uninhibited sandy beaches without a single boat parked in front.

Unit 202 is one of our most beautiful and sought after units. I hope this review does not discourage anyone from enjoying it.

Jack Perlman , Managing partner
NY
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Im shocked to see this ranked in the 30s on TA? Ive been going to playa for over a decade and this is one of the top places in town.

I rented a 3BR 3Bath penthouse for some family friends and their daughter. It was their first time visiting mexico and they were blown away by playa and this unit! I was staying separate from them in an affiliated property (El taj which is also awesome) but loved it so much i came over to PP at the tail end of my trip, rented it for myself and extended my stay! Glad i did. These signature properties all have these amazing roof decks but this one was one of the best of them all closest to entrance. It had a great view off to the right of the turquoise sea and another view down to pool. Also looks amazing at night. Great sitting area on the deck as well as comfy loungers, hot tub and private outdoor shower across from hot tub. Some units do not have the private shower but a more open concept.(this was a nice touch) Full grill, a fridge you name it! You could come up from the pool and enter the slider on your lower level deck which was also a unique feature to this room. The inside is spotless and has great open living area and kitchen and even a washer and dryer hidden upstairs in the bathroom. Perfect place for multiple couples or couples with kids. My friends daughter Mikaela (9) had the time of her life and is already asking everyone to go back! She enjoyed the pool here as well, (two level pool) not to mention swimming with sea turtles and dolphins later in week. :) This unit is all the pictures show and more. The developer (Jack) of condohotels is fantastic and take immense pride in these masterpieces he has created and it shows throughout each unique property. Each property is unique unto itself, has its own character and is an architectural masterpiece with signature style. Rounded architecural style, Furnishings imported as far off as bali, no expense spared, no corners cut. Ive had the pleasure of actually sitting on my roofdeck at one property (maya villa) and watching as another was being built in the distance. (el taj) Quite the process and the amount of work, time and effort just amazing but when its finished WOW. PP is an example of that and it still holds its own. This was one of the earlier properties (of 5) but still one of the best. Porto playa is set away slightly from the main action and noise but still literally just a few minutes walk to everything on 5th. No taxis needed! Walk to the beach, shops and restaurants and then come back to your spectacular condo Oasis @ Porto and relax. Nice and quiet here set away from clubs etc. Skip a regular hotel and try living in style at a condohotel, the value cant be beat! This was an A+ experience.

ps- felt compelled to write this after seeing the TA ranking. I assure you there are not 20-30 hotels in town that can rank up there with PP. Do your research! For luxury and value this is hard to beat and should be ranked a top 3 (at least) in all of playa. Ive stayed at a lot of places on the coast and i would rank my particular unit at PP from this past trip one of the best not only in playa but on the entire riviera maya coastline as far as value for what you get. They have great promotions all the time in low to mid seasons which is also a plus. -G in NY. (if you have any questions on playa or this review feel free, gsun1@aol.com).

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank PlayadreaminGL
Condohotels, Managing Partner at Porto Playa Condo Hotel & Beachclub, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Dear PlayadreaminGL,

Thank you so much for your kind words and a glowing review. We put a lot of pride into our properties, and, as you have mentioned, we spare no expenses and cut no corners to create the ultimate comfort and a luxurious home away from home to all of our guests – so it really feels special when all that hard work is appreciated!
I’m very glad you have been enjoying our properties and the condo hotel concept, which we are so enthusiastic about, because we think it’s really comfortable to stay in multi-bedroom condos in the downtown area of Playa del Carmen than in an all-inclusive, for example, tucked away in the jungle.

Please keep in mind that you are always warmly welcome back!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Just got home from a 1 week stay at the porto playa, went with a wedding party, my brother and his wife picked the only place to go when your charged and ready to celebrate like you never partied b4....my brother had the most amazing wedding thanks to the amazing crew at the el taj/porto playa/ mala villa... from check in to check out FIRST CLASS.....coming and going, partying on the beach, the pools are unreal....beaches are insanely beautiful and the staff are so accommodating your at home from that first walk in to your place..never a few feet from your hot tub, sick infinity pools and the best facilities to party like partying needs to be done... this place will prob see us all renewing the bonds we formed and work to maintain for the rest of living days

Room Tip: rented 1st floor condo, loved being 5 steps from the hot tub and parking...awesome rooms, comfy beds...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank yossi s
Dear yossis,

Thank you very much for the kind review. Yes, we do host a lot of wedding parties at Porto Playa, but our goal was never to become one of these factory-like wedding places - that’s why every single guest can have their privacy, while enjoying the best Playa has to offer.
Our pools, waterfalls and Jacuzzis, surrounded by the tropical greenery, were designed to give our guests the feeling of a tropical oasis, and it is very pleasing for me to hear that you have enjoyed it all to the fullest.
If you come with a wedding group again, make sure they check out our special wedding packages and venues for the reception. If you come as a vacationer with friends, you can rest assured we will be waiting for you with open arms.
Jack Pelrman, Managing Partner
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Our New Favorite CondoHotel Resort

My wife and I usually stay at the El Taj oceanfront. But for this trip we decided to begin our vacation there and then spend a few days at Porto Playa also.
WOW we could not have been happier. We always expect good things from our friends at condohotels and have walked around the resort before but we were pleasantly surprised just how nice it was.

As usual the check in was flawless and the front desk team at Porto Playa office is as nice as you can find....they really make you feel special and right at home.
The resort grounds are like stepping into a jungle of exotic plants and trees. It is so quiet and peaceful you completely forget your right in the city. The exotic foliage makes it a perfect background for the two story pool...yes two levels of pools and jacuzzies. The top pool looks out over the grounds and you can stay in it all day and be memorized by the scenery. Very high end lounge chairs (Four Season's type) with thick blue padding and huge umbrellas.

The condo units are just over the top luxury. Top end appliances, TV's and furnishings. The creme de la creme for us was thetwo huge oversized pocket sliders that opened up at least 15 feet to allow total emergence out onto the huge private patio overlooking the grounds and pools. Unbelievable!

The dilemma now is which of these awesome resorts do we stay when we return!

Room Tip: Always check out their web site so you can personally choose the resort and unit that best fits your...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple