“Perfection with a lovely personal touch”

Porto Playa Condo Hotel & Beachclub
Ranked #14 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I have just returned from Porto Playa in Playa del Carmen. In the ten or twelve years I have been going there, I have seen Playa evolve from a sleepy fun fishing town to a lively mini-Vegas which is still fun and has lots to offer. (Go to Tulum for a quieter experience if that is more you!)

The Condohotels Porto Playa complex has wonderful units, clean, spacious with great bathrooms, a very nice pool and wonderful location a block from the beach (where the most lovely breakfast is served by Hugo, William and the rest of the wonderful boys).

However, the icing on the cake at Porto Playa is undoubtedly the staff. They are wonderful, helpful, polite, courteous, and always available for advice and help. I can't thank them enough, especially Fernanda and Erick. Fernanda sorted out our very wet evening when she ordered pizza for us from a local pizzeria - excellent choice Fernanda! The concierge service is also a very good idea although perhaps not as networked into the local scene as we had hoped, and not very competitive when it came to car hire prices for our day trip to Tulum (lunch at Posada Margherita is always a must, followed by a swim and a walk along the beach there - bliss!).

Thank you Porto Playa for a wonderful holiday. I will be back!

Room Tip: There is a lot of building going on in Playa so make sure you check that out in advance although the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We have previously stayed at El Taj and Maya Villa and on this trip, we stayed at the Porto Playa. We were very impressed and, in fact, we probably liked it the best of Jack's four developments: in all likelihood this will be where we stay from now on. Don't get me wrong, El Taj and Maya Villa are also fabulous - it all depends on what you're looking for. We travelled as two couples of 40+ yrs old (but still hip, lol!). PP and MV are a bit quieter than El Taj. The pool itself at PP is beautiful and so warm! And the pool area was lovely, with both sunny and shady parts. All four of the condohotels sites are perfectly placed for a fabulous trip to Playa del Carmen - one block away from Quinta and a tranquil oasis.

I've seen AhMrBond's review of Unit 217, which is the unit we stayed in, and I do have to agree with him to an extent. I thought that the size of the second bedroom was ok, but his comment about the low shower in that bathroom made me grin - my dad is 6'4" and had the same problem! Be aware that this unit does NOT have a washer/dryer so I've come home for the first time in ten years with two suitcases full of dirty laundry (not being willing to pay, on average, £1 per item for the in-house laundry service). And there is no dishwasher, but if like many travellers you do not cook a lot on holiday this is so minor as to barely be worth mentioning. The only thing that the rooms could do with are a little more storage space for clothing - perhaps a dresser with drawers? Staying there for two weeks, we were struggling on storage space a bit. And unfortunately, the front of PP looks out over a bit of an eyesore so do not expect an ocean view.

Having seen the section of this review for sleep quality, I do have to mention that all four of us commented on how incredibly comfortable the beds were - I haven't slept so much or so soundly in years!

I have to give a shout-out to Erick, Brito and Fernanda - their customer service is excellent and I can't rate them highly enough. They dealt with some potentially prickly guests with grace and good humour.

All in all, another great trip to Playa del Carmen and our new favourite residence - keep up the great work, Jack!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2013

pros- quiet, great for older couple/ young families, location
cons- pools are much smaller in person than in hotel pictures, condos vary and are average-not four star, no access to other playa condos which are a shame

Porto playa condos are in a great location but for the price you pay I would not stay again as I thought you don't get much for your money.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed here in a 2 bedroom penthouse appartment [unit 217] with 3 other friends.
Catered for most of my needs, although for 4 adults the 2nd twin room was very clearly aimed at children which was quite small and the shower was positioned very low, started to fall off the wall aswell which didn't help. Towels hanging right next to the toilet was a poor design.
The master bedroom and bathroom looked very good and could not fault.
The balcony area off the living room was popular which overlooked the pool. we didn't actually use the roof top with jacuzzi and barbequeue that much, so if you are not bothered for this book the 2nd floor rooms.
Swam 40 lengths in the pool every morning, this was better than most hotel pools.
Breakfast was excellent at the Imprevist restaurant which is situated on the beach in the nextdoor sister property. You get vouchers for this. My only critisim on this was it opened at 0800. This is far too late, especially if you have sightseeing trips booked.
The beach area was as expected if you have done some research, you will probably be better walking up the beach to find a better/quieter area if this is the main reason you are staying in Playa. Location otherwise was excellent with easy access to all shops bars and restaurants on 5th avenue.
In terms of value, it is difficult to say as I have stayed in a beautiful appartment in central Nice in peak season which should be far more expensive, The cost of the Porto playa was double this for a week. If you get some good offers on this place it is worth looking at.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I stayed at Porto Playa Condo Hotel last February. I'll give a few quick notes.

-They gave us vouchers for breakfast at either Imprevist (Stellar breakfast and service) or the Beach Club(Terrible).

-The advertised beach club is AWFUL. Rocks.. boats everywhere.. tiny beach.. loungers jammed together. We went to the public beach instead which was MUCH nicer.

-The condo was smaller than it looked in pictures. We had 2 people in a 2 bedroom condo though.. so it wasn't a big deal.

-The noise the hot tub made above the condo was a LOUD rumble. No one told us how to turn it off. No sleeping was going on when that thing was turned on. I eventually just flipped the breaker.

-The AC also made some funny noises it shouldn't have been making.. but for cool air i could deal with it.

-The beds were comfortable

-The small pool was relaxing. Not a ton of people which was really nice after dealing with the resort scene.

-The location was great. Its nice to just walk out into the streets and enjoy the scene.

-There is a reason they hide the views and shoot from low angles in their condo pictures. The surroundings are a mess of construction.

Overall it was nice.. but next time i wouldn't waste money on a top floor unit with the hot tub and BBQ. We didn't use it very much. If i had to do it again I would stay on the bottom floor. No stair climbing (sounds lazy.. but after a long day of walking.. those stairs are the last thing you want to see.).. and arguably a nicer view.

Room Tip: I'd take a lower level room over a high room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank demzor
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We recently spent 6 days at Porto Playa Condo Hotel Playa Del Carmen. From the very start I was impressed by a friendly and helpful receptionist, an apartment that was bigger and better appointed than I'd expected, and hotel grounds and pool that looked even better than in the website photos. All staff were friendly, efficient and unobtrusive. The beach club was excellent, and the breakfast offerings outstanding. The gym is of very high quality and you are perfectly located for beach, shopping and restaurants. I can't imagine why anyone would want to stay in an all inclusive resort with the dining options on 5th Avenue. Our apartment was beautifully prepared by Guadalupe Su Camarista

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bret597
Reviewed 18 November 2013

207 Porto Playa Penthouse far exceeded our expectations!

It was simply wonderful!! The condo was beautiful and completely relaxing. The staff was gracious and accommodating. The maintenance workers were very polite and considerate. The gym was state of the art and fully equipped. The facilities were impeccable and our stay was beyond fabulous.

A huge shout out goes to the Indigo Beach Club…. They by and far are outstanding!! Every single thing on their menu was delicious. A huge shout out to Pedro, Joaquin, Hugo and a host of other servers that went out of their way to provide top notch service. The quality of service and the quality of their food superseded anything we have ever experienced!! I’m sure we gained 10 pounds and it was worth every bit of it. The food at Indigo was better than every single other place in Playa….they put them all to shame. The drinks were incredible, but most of all what stood out to me was the authentic niceness of the staff…it wasn’t a put-on, it was genuine. There is nothing I would change about our vacation…it was just awesome in every single way.

We are already looking forward to going again next year.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple