“Love Coco's Cabanas!”
Review of Cocos Cabanas

Cocos Cabanas
Ranked #118 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Coco's Cabanas is a beautiful and quaint hotel off the beaten path. The Cabana's are nestled in a jungle like setting, with garden pathways, swaying palm trees, water fountains, hammocks to relax in, a lovely pool, and the beach just steps away. The restaurant bar area is next to the pool and a beautiful spot to enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner. My son and I stayed at Coco's for 10 days and enjoyed every moment of our stay! The food was delicious...my son really enjoyed the Pizza! The Margarita's were fantastic and the staff was absolutely wonderful!! The owner, Silvia, is a gem and I really enjoyed getting to know her and the family! I highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing and peaceful place to get away from it all. Thank you Coco's Cabanas! :)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 August 2013

What an absolute gem of a hotel! I stayed here for a honeymoon for 5 days with my wife after a 3-week road trip across America, which finished in us getting married in Vegas.

Coco's Cabanas is hands down one the best places I have ever stayed. There is 5 lovely thatched roof cabanas placed around a pool and bar. All have natural trees around them, which meant you got your own space when needed. Each room was well designed with a semi open shower and big comfy beds along with a hammock and seats outside, which was really nice to chill out in. At night you could hear the ocean and wildlife outside which was wonderful.

The restaurant/ bar was the real highlight for me. They had a great selection of tequila and mezcal to try which is a must if stopping in Mexico, and the food was stunning. The steaks were mouth watering and the fish tacos where a perfect appetiser before heading out to party in playa, which is only a 10-minute taxi, ride away.

The location was also really good. There is a beach less than a minute away, and once there, you have access to the bigger resort hotels situated each side of you as walk out from Coco's. Both have outdoor bars within a 5-minute reach of each over. The beach is a LOT less crowded than the main resorts at Cancun, which for me is much better than having to fight for space. There are also jet skis and boats readily available and more resorts to visit should you fancy a bit of a walk.

As for excursions, Tulum is about an hour’s drive away and all the major sports activates like zip wiring etc are located at EXPLORER, which is about 40 minute’s away. A taxi can take you or you can jump on a bus from Playa.

I rarely rave about accommodation as I’m usually more interested in getting out there and exploring my chosen destination, but Coco’s actually made want to hang about. I found it very peaceful and enjoyed chatting to fellow guests and even had a few drinks with the owners who were some of nicest and most hospitable people I’ve ever met.

Coco’s is clean, friendly and good functioning accommodation, but its main reason to stay is its warmth and charm, something I’ve yet to see from expensive branded hotels. My wife and I can’t wait to stay here again.

Room Tip: Purple cabana was a fantastic choice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael C
Reviewed 28 June 2013

What a great place to stay at. Family atmosphere and everyone was great.
Quick summary - Food and drinks are excellent
Atmosphere - supper
Rooms - awesome

A few notes;
- Quite tucked away from other places.
- My be hard to find so ask for directions often
- The beach is rocky once you are in the water
- a palapa room will never really cool down when the AC is on
- Told the manager that the towels and sheets have reached their life expectancy and need to be replaced.
Water is pumped from the ground so it is full of minerals so it will change flavors... lol

Great place to stay at. You should love it...

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PTwice
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Loved this little place. The staff is great and the accommodations are perfect. Nothing fancy, but well worth the trip.
We had the front palapa, was spacious and dry. We went during a big rainstorm and felt safe.

Food was surprisingly good. Lalo, makes a great pizza and ceviche mixto.
Walking distance to the beach and the VICEROY is right next door.

We are definitely going back!

Room Tip: There is a top palapa room with a king bed... if you can book it ...do it!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank E_Martinez415
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I stayed at Coco's for 8 nights. It was wonderful. From the first minute they treated me like family and made me feel welcome. The cabins are lovely with a thatch roof and open floor plan. Big flat screen TV's with in room DVD/ipod player. The food at the restaurant is amazing. I had the raw tuna tacos...more than once, they were so good. And the brick oven pizza was some of the best I had had in my life. All of that along with the friendly, family like atmosphere...this place is five star in my book!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Kary V
Reviewed 10 May 2013

It’s May in Minnesota and I am here at my desk in a big fancy office building in Minneapolis. Where I would rather be is Coco’s. Whenever I day dream it takes me back to my favorite place. This quaint resort is by far the neatest, cleanest, friendliest place to have a relaxing vacation. My husband and I have been there almost 20 times over the years. We go back at least once a year and sometimes twice. We have several reviews on this site but know that we are not the owners, have not been paid by the owners for our reviews. We just simply love the place.

It is wonderful, affordable, and adorable.

You can take a dip in the pool that won’t be overrun with too many people. You can enjoy cocktails that have a kick. You can enjoy a meal of just about anything your appetite craves knowing it will be prepared with the freshest ingredients by a very skilled chef that adds just a hint of passion into everything he makes.

You will be treated like family while you are there. Upon arrival it’s like you have been coming there for years. And for those that have been coming there for years, it will be like going home.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KARI3230
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Stayed a couple night here while in Playacar, and loved it. Really quiet, and tucked away just feet from the beach, but not one of those nameless mega resorts. Really nice little bungalos with all you need, and very well appointed.The food is excellent, and has a nice little pool/bar area to hang out at. Thanks Guys, we had a great time

Room Tip: Bring plenty of suntan lotion with You, its friggin expensive down there.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple